'Piegate' - 'keeper quits Sutton

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

'Piegate' - 'keeper quits Sutton

Post by Old Master »

'Piegate' a nightmare says Sutton boss Doswell after Shaw's resignation

BBC Sport 1 hour ago From the section Football

Wayne Shaw has stated that he didn't place a bet himself

Sutton United's FA Cup fairytale turned into a "nightmare" with the resignation of 'piegate' keeper Wayne Shaw on Tuesday, says manager Paul Doswell.

Shaw was seen to eat a pie on the bench during Monday's FA Cup loss to Arsenal, after a bookmaker offered odds of 8-1 that he would do so on camera.

The Gambling Commission and Football Association are investigating if there was a breach of betting regulations.

"He's made a bad error of judgement," Doswell told BBC Radio 5 live.

Shaw, 45, resigned from the National League side less than 24 hours after the cup tie.

"I spoke to him on the phone and he was crying. In the end we had to almost stop talking to each other because it was that type of conversation," added Doswell.

"We are going to be investigated, and it has turned into a bit of a nightmare."

The bookmaker involved tweeted that it had paid out a "five-figure sum" on the bet.

5 live In Short: Lawyer says pie eating should be "treated in the same light as spot-fixing"

Shaw, who first joined Sutton in 2009, said he had been aware of the betting promotion before the match but insisted the incident in which he ate the pie - which he later insisted was a pasty - was "a bit of fun".

BBC Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker claimed the incident showed "football has lost its sense of humour".

But Doswell said that while he had sympathy for Shaw, he also felt he had been "naive".
Gary Lineker

"He's been caught in this mad world over the last month that has enveloped us. His profile has got bigger and bigger, I think he embraced that," said Doswell.

"Whilst we were very much concentrating on the football, I think Wayne was almost becoming like a superstar.

"The team were magnificent against Arsenal, but to think someone's openly eating a pie behind them reflects very much away from what they did. I know Wayne regrets it, he is very, very sorry about the whole situation."

Shaw, who began his football career as a striker at Southampton in the same youth team as Alan Shearer, also had a coaching role at Sutton and carried out other jobs for the club such as sweeping the 3G pitch.

It is not the first time Shaw has been sacked by Sutton - he was dismissed in 2013 after an altercation with Kingstonian fans, but returned to the club two years later.

"I'm devastated for him," added Doswell. "This is someone who's got a family to support.

"My overriding wish is he'd have asked my advice because very clearly I'd have advised him not to do it. I wouldn't have allowed him to do it."

I thought it was one of the funniest things to happen in Football for many years, a sad indictment on the lack of fun in the modern game.
It certainly caught the attention of the world's press but that was before the gambling connection became public.
Gambling id the biggest problem in all sports these days. OM
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: 'Piegate' - 'keeper quits Sutton

Post by God is an Englishman »

He knew there was betting on him, BIG DEAL!

Rooney knows there's betting on him to score a goal. Does that mean he shouldn't ever score?

All 3 subs were made so it had absolutely no bearing on the game. Ridiculous to even consider sanction him.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

God is an Englishman wrote:He knew there was betting on him, BIG DEAL!

Rooney knows there's betting on him to score a goal. Does that mean he shouldn't ever score?

All 3 subs were made so it had absolutely no bearing on the game. Ridiculous to even consider sanction him.

Not to the Fun Police.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Asahara Shōkō
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Asahara Shōkō »

Aren't you the one who often asks what other rules should we ignore?
Apparently Knight15 finds me attractive

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Asahara Shōkō wrote:
Aren't you the one who often asks what other rules should we ignore?
I am yes, so in that case. I expect to see Rooney investigated when he scores knowing there was a betting market on him scoring.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

There was a term I saw that shows what they did was against the rules, basically it was contrived an not part of the game. It's like spot fixing in cricket.

He was also drinking pints of beer at HT in the bar, there will no doubt be more on that as well.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

No more controversy wrote:There was a term I saw that shows what they did was against the rules, basically it was contrived an not part of the game. It's like spot fixing in cricket.

He was also drinking pints of beer at HT in the bar, there will no doubt be more on that as well.
Spot fixing affects the game though, this didn't. What are they going to do, ban a 45 year old bloke without a club?

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

I have no idea what they will do. Many rules are in place that don't affect the game, I am not defending these, but is taking your shirt off when you score affecting the result. Is wearing different colour 'skins' an issue.

If you are playing a comp you need to abide by the rules and regulations of the competition.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

No more controversy wrote:I have no idea what they will do. Many rules are in place that don't affect the game, I am not defending these, but is taking your shirt off when you score affecting the result. Is wearing different colour 'skins' an issue.

If you are playing a comp you need to abide by the rules and regulations of the competition.
Taking off your shirt was only banned due to the time wasting of putting the shirt back on.

Different coloured skins is about the shorts and recognisable by both teams.

You could make an argument that both of these can affect the game.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

could being the operative word. There is no proof ;-)

Can't be bothered about this any more, he is being investigated for breaking the rules, if he has broken them, he deserves a fine!

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

What ever happened to good ol' English humour.
Ignore this signature

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Bomber wrote:What ever happened to good ol' English humour.

It died thanks to people like Giae and Co. :lol:

What is funny though is that Sutton needed him this week, as the !st choice 'leeper got injured and they had no reserve 'keeper, so an onfield player had to go in goals.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:

What is funny though is that Sutton needed him this week, as the !st choice 'leeper got injured and they had no reserve 'keeper, so an onfield player had to go in goals.

Wayne Kerr
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Wayne Kerr »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Old Master wrote:

That explains why the women and men find you physically "disgusting"
We got Ova' Here?? #ACCUPAHATERS!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Wayne Kerr wrote:That explains why the women and men find you physically "disgusting"
Clearly the bloke above doesn't, which is rather concerning.