Are Barca finished?

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Are Barca finished?

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Should we all start to try and play like PSG now? :lol:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: Are Barca finished?

Post by MegaBonus »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this Barca fan has a different perspective
The humiliation against PSG is a chance to get rid of Luis Enrique and start playing a good possession based football with a concentration on midfield again.
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

MegaBonus wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this Barca fan has a different perspective
The humiliation against PSG is a chance to get rid of Luis Enrique and start playing a good possession based football with a concentration on midfield again.
IMO they've become really top heavy with a gun front three, but less and less people to supply the bullets. Xavi's departed, Iniesta is slow, Biscuits is getting older and they've got an average keeper. They still manage to beat the poorer teams in La Liga, but are beginning to struggle against top level sides. You almost never saw Barca surrender possession in their own half, yet now it's a frequent occurence and their defence is being shown to be not as good as everyone thought.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Don't get too excited, there's still the return leg at Barca to go and as anyone who has watched them over the years should know, they are capable of anything when they've been stung like that.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Old Master wrote:Don't get too excited, there's still the return leg at Barca to go and as anyone who has watched them over the years should know, they are capable of anything when they've been stung like that.
Wise words though you would fancy PSG to nick a goal or two (if required to do so) and finish the tie. That said if Barcelona go in at half-time 1-0 or 2-0 up anything could happen but you have to tip the French side to prevail. I predict a 4-2 win to Barcelona on the night.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

thebeautifulgame wrote:
Old Master wrote:Don't get too excited, there's still the return leg at Barca to go and as anyone who has watched them over the years should know, they are capable of anything when they've been stung like that.
Wise words though you would fancy PSG to nick a goal or two (if required to do so) and finish the tie. That said if Barcelona go in at half-time 1-0 or 2-0 up anything could happen but you have to tip the French side to prevail. I predict a 4-2 win to Barcelona on the night.
I honestly don't think Barca's midfield and defence is anything like as strong as they were a few years ago and I'll be amazed if PSG don't score.
Danny Blanchflower

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Are Arsenal finished?

:P
Time for some righteous indignation

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Stitch This wrote:Are Arsenal finished?

:P
Here's hoping :wink:
Danny Blanchflower

MidfieldGeorge
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by MidfieldGeorge »

You never know when an Arsenal fan will show up and here is one of those moments :). Arsenal will always come back!

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

I'm still amazed people call it the "Barca" way of playing - pretty much most coaches of young kids I know try to teach the kids to keep the ball moving and pass and not give up posession - it ain't rocket science and it certainly wasn't invented in the Catalan city. To be honest with the amount they have invested in players you'd be disgusted if they couldn't keep the ball and keep it moving.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

whats amazing is the fact that youre amazed!!!!

the 'Barca' way is not just about possession retention.....there are other elements....theres volumes written about so go ahead and knock yourself out with some googling...
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

MegaBonus wrote:whats amazing is the fact that youre amazed!!!!

the 'Barca' way is not just about possession retention.....there are other elements....theres volumes written about so go ahead and knock yourself out with some googling...

Exactly, the Barca system is built on a muti-faceted series of styles and techniques developed over many seasons by some of the best coaches in the history of Football.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

I think their midfield 3 needs a re-jig and they will go all out to buy a big name centre midfielder this summer.

Iniesta is 34/35 and winding down, Rakitic, after a super start at Barca has been poor and can barely get a game, Gomes has under performed even when he gets a game. Denis Suarez is a work in progress.

No worries up front obviously but the back 4 there are still some issues - Umtiti needs time, Mascherano is slowing down and Pique looks disinterested at times.