Dementia link to ex footballers

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Dementia link to ex footballers

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Former Liverpool and Scotland player Ian St John has been publicly speaking out about ex football players from the 50/60's era and the potential link to dementia/Alzheimer's disease. This may be frowned upon by many at first glance but St John is well respected in football circles. He explains that a football in those days was far heavier and that the ball would soak water in and not resist it (making it even heavier). Much like a boxer taking blows to the head.
Geoff Strong (ex Liverpool team-mate) died aged 75 from Alzheimer's in 2013. In 2016 it was revealed that 3 players of England's victorious World Cup squad (Martin Peters, Nobby Stiles and Ray Wilson) all suffer from the condition. Former West Bromwich Albion striker Jeff Astle died in 2002, aged 59 which was originally thought to be Alzheimer's. It was later found that the cause of death was Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) due to repeated head trauma (persistently heading a football).
St John is pushing the FA to take ownership of the problem and to pay families out regarding medical care and compensation if it is proved that football as an occupation has proved to have directly contributed to the disease. FA have raised it with FIFA and this will no doubt raise financial and legal issues. This could open up a can of worms as I would imagine that modern day footballers could claim in future for similar cases. Ball is obviously lighter and softer but with increase in games and training it could be argued that players head the ball more frequently (particularly central defenders and centre forwards).

Youth Unemployment
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: Dementia link to ex footballers

Post by Youth Unemployment »

No one was forced to play football. Take responsibility for your own actions.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

That explains Old Master

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

thebeautifulgame wrote: football as an occupation
once again this would prove that they only care about those at the top.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Youth Unemployment wrote:No one was forced to play football. Take responsibility for your own actions.
Yes in the 1960's the OH & S rules alerted the players to the link between heading and demantia.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

ozzie owl wrote:
Youth Unemployment wrote:No one was forced to play football. Take responsibility for your own actions.
Yes in the 1960's the OH & S rules alerted the players to the link between heading and demantia.
I had heard of it when I started playing football in 1968....not so much 'dementia' but a loss of brain cells (same-same) each time players would head the ball.
And the leather (often waterlogged) balls back then were much heavier than the synthetic modern football.

My thoughts lately have been, that seeing modern day footballers (many of them) seem to negotiate huge wages-fees etc and broadcasters pay huge sums for rights....they should set up a medical fund for those that weren't born in the affluent football age but contributed to moving the game forward, a fund overseen by a players association for past players to assist them with medical treatment costs.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

swannsong wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
I had heard of it when I started playing football in 1968....not so much 'dementia' but a loss of brain cells (same-same) each time players would head the ball.
And the leather (often waterlogged) balls back then were much heavier than the synthetic modern football.

My thoughts lately have been, that seeing modern day footballers (many of them) seem to negotiate huge wages-fees etc and broadcasters pay huge sums for rights....they should set up a medical fund for those that weren't born in the affluent football age but contributed to moving the game forward, a fund overseen by a players association for past players to assist them with medical treatment costs.
AFL are on to something similar I believe
Ignore this signature

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

God is an Englishman wrote:
thebeautifulgame wrote: football as an occupation
once again this would prove that they only care about those at the top.
Yes and dam the poor sods that played for years in the lower non-professional leagues. I suppose St Johns argument is that the players were 'exploited' in a way in those days as most were on relatively poor wages and not much was known of the risks involved. As such they were employed to do a job so technically there was a care of duty on behalf of their respective employer. Means that the 'recreational' footballer is totally screwed by the sound of it. Be interesting to see if players are asked to sign a legal document in future waving their rights to any potential claims.
A fund is a good idea by the relative pro Associations but what safety net can help the so called amatuer player?

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

God is an Englishman wrote:That explains Old Master

Well at least I know the reason for my condition - what's Yours?
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:That explains Old Master

Well at least I know the reason for my condition - what's Yours?
My condition is very simple, I'm better than you and can't help but try to educate you. The problem is, I care too much. I really just let the ill educated continue along their way but I just have to try and help.

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Former Newcastle United and England player Alan Shearer is to undergo scientific tests to see if he is threatened by dementia, no doubt alarmed by the recent findings. He is also planning to meet players and families affected by the condition. No doubt that it will be a very emotional journey. Unsure if he only covers the professional game or is also looking at the lower levels. Brave decision and hopefully the results will be in his favour. This could open up huge implications to the modern day game. What next- protective head gear or the banning of heading the ball? Could change the game forever.