World Cup Expansion Proposal

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Re: World Cup Expansion Proposal

Post by Knight15 »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Bomber wrote:They could, just an opinion. To me 50% of all of South America is too many, that's all, so take one spot away from them and could have "half" from Oceania and "half" from Africa or Asia instead.
EG:
7 from Europe
4 South America
1.5 Asia
1.5 Africa
1 or 1.5 CONCACAF
0.5 or 1 Oceania

I wouldn't seed teams either - random draw each group. 8)
I don't understand why you would randomly pick one confederation and not give them a spot. Also, if you're going to take a spot away from S America then I would give it to Europe.
Just make it all European Countries, why bother with the rest - call it the World European Cup - you two could run it, would be a massive success - perhaps just have 15 European Countries and one from Oceania so it's fair
Are you Bodo in disguise?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Knight15 wrote:
Bomber wrote:They could, just an opinion. To me 50% of all of South America is too many, that's all, so take one spot away from them and could have "half" from Oceania and "half" from Africa or Asia instead.
EG:
7 from Europe
4 South America
1.5 Asia
1.5 Africa
1 or 1.5 CONCACAF
0.5 or 1 Oceania

I don't understand why you would randomly pick one confederation and not give them a spot. Also, if you're going to take a spot away from S America then I would give it to Europe.
Just make it all European Countries, why bother with the rest - call it the World European Cup - you two could run it, would be a massive success - perhaps just have 15 European Countries and one from Oceania so it's fair
That would be silly. Pushing the limit like you are. Why not allow 15 teams from oceania and have the rest playing off for the 1 other spot?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

EG:
7 from Europe
4 South America
1.5 Asia
1.5 Africa
1 or 1.5 CONCACAF
0.5 or 1 Oceania

I don't think Europe would deserve 50% of spots in that scenario. Which confederation would you stick Israel into?
Ignore this signature

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Probably as bad an idea as your one

The concept will always have critics, which confederation is stronger, deserves more etc, however whilst I don't agree with increasing, I believe it's the right size now, both commercially and length etc - i.e. one month. Commercially if you weaken Asia's involvement you start to lose Billions, plus Europe already has the European Championship so tinker with the 'make up' but going backwards would simply not work

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Knight15 wrote:Probably as bad an idea as your one

The concept will always have critics, which confederation is stronger, deserves more etc, however whilst I don't agree with increasing, I believe it's the right size now, both commercially and length etc - i.e. one month. Commercially if you weaken Asia's involvement you start to lose Billions, plus Europe already has the European Championship so tinker with the 'make up' but going backwards would simply not work
I'm merely going on a "what if" based on 16 teams.

I think 24 was ok, but can see why 32 is the generally preferred too.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

My scenario allows every country the chance to get there. It rewards the stronger confederations with more spots but still allows the lesser ones the chance to get representation.

You could then assess it after every world cup based on the proportion of teams that make it through to the QF's.

Basing it on that level at the last world cup, the 16 would be.

Europe: 8
South America: 6
N America: 2

So I would take one spot off of Europe and give it to a Rest of the World Qualifier.

OR

N America earnt 2 spots for the ROW, maybe give NA a direct one and allow their 2nd team to qualify under ROW.

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

My scenario allows every country the chance to get there. It rewards the stronger confederations with more spots but still allows the lesser ones the chance to get representation.

You could then assess it after every world cup based on the proportion of teams that make it through to the QF's.

So I would take one spot off of Europe and give it to a Rest of the World Qualifier.

OR

N America earnt 2 spots for the ROW, maybe give NA a direct one and allow their 2nd team to qualify under ROW.

Ok, I'm glad it's unlikely that you will ever been in charge of FIFA

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

I should be though. I wouldn't just hand out participation places like FIFA do now.

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

God is an Englishman wrote:I should be though. I wouldn't just hand out participation places like FIFA do now.
Yes, although Business 101 could be a problem

Daijayama Matsuri
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Daijayama Matsuri »

OR

What about the host nation, should it not fall within that configuration?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Daijayama Matsuri wrote:

OR

What about the host nation, should it not fall within that configuration?
Good point, host nation gets a spot as well. The drawing of lots to decide which confederation loses a spot. If it's not from one that doesn't have more than 1 spot.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

W... O... R... L ...D .......C... U... P ....... E ...X... P ...A... N ...S ...I ...O... N..........A ...C... H... I ...E... V... E... D
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Zowie
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Zowie »

swannsong wrote:W... O... R... L ...D .......C... U... P ....... E ...X... P ...A... N ...S ...I ...O... N..........A ...C... H... I ...E... V... E... D
There is an easier way:

W O R L D   C U P    E X P A N S I O N   A C H I E V E D

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Concentric Circles wrote:
swannsong wrote:W... O... R... L ...D .......C... U... P ....... E ...X... P ...A... N ...S ...I ...O... N..........A ...C... H... I ...E... V... E... D
There is an easier way:

W O R L D   C U P    E X P A N S I O N   A C H I E V E D
It's probably easier to quote someone without removing all the colour codes too :wink:
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Zowie
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Zowie »

I didn't have too.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Knight15 wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:I should be though. I wouldn't just hand out participation places like FIFA do now.
Don't worry the English FA will never agree , if Europe was reduced to only 7 spots, England would have serious trouble qualifying.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Knight15 wrote:
Yes because FIFA would be struggling with money. All the games would be better quality, as the only teams in it would be the quality ones. The qualifying becomes a bigger deal and harder meaning greater money and tv deals etc.. All games would be sell outs...

I'm all the way up to Business 4004.

Imagine the tv coverage for that last qualifying spot from the rest of the world.

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Knight15 wrote:
Yes because FIFA would be struggling with money. All the games would be better quality, as the only teams in it would be the quality ones. The qualifying becomes a bigger deal and harder meaning greater money and tv deals etc.. All games would be sell outs...

I'm all the way up to Business 4004.

Imagine the tv coverage for that last qualifying spot from the rest of the world.
Most of the games are sell-outs or close to it, I would get up at 2am and watch Australia v Chile but wouldn't get up at 2am to watch Brazil v Croatia etc

You would wipe a minimum of 40% off the overall financial take

Although your right the last qualifying spot game would receive good TV coverage - especially for the 2 countries involved although not sure this would make up for all the lost revenue

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Knight15 wrote:Most of the games are sell-outs or close to it, I would get up at 2am and watch Australia v Chile but wouldn't get up at 2am to watch Brazil v Croatia etc

Although your right the last qualifying spot game would receive good TV coverage - especially for the 2 countries involved although not sure this would make up for all the lost revenue
I'm not sure if you realised this but there's a world outside Australia. More chance of me getting up to watch Brazil v Croatia than Australia v Chile and I'm pretty sure most of the world would agree with me.

Why not make it a 128 team tournament, I mean someone in Sudan might watch it if they were there OR we can make it a worthwhile tournament completely with countries that could actually win it.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Knight15 wrote:Most of the games are sell-outs or close to it, I would get up at 2am and watch Australia v Chile but wouldn't get up at 2am to watch Brazil v Croatia etc

I'm not sure if you realised this but there's a world outside Australia. More chance of me getting up to watch Brazil v Croatia than Australia v Chile and I'm pretty sure most of the world would agree with me.

Why not make it a 128 team tournament, I mean someone in Sudan might watch it if they were there OR we can make it a worthwhile tournament completely with countries that could actually win it.
128 Knockout cup tournament, bit like FA Cup, open draw after some initial qualifiers. Like it. :wink:
Ignore this signature

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Not sure if your aware, but there is a world outside your house - the 128 country makes no sense (too much of a stretch I believe you used before) as there would be too many 'blow outs', not enough quality and it would go on far too long

Your argument re getting up for Brazil v Croatia (is a bit sad considering you live here, yes we have all wept at the stories that you are forced to and would much prefer England etc etc etc - but if you tried you could learn to love Australia) and the 'World' may agree, however (despite having a large Croatian population) more Australians (even those who were born elsewhere - like England but have learned to love their adopted country and don't batter on about how they need to be here) would get up - therefore if you maintain the status quo, more people watch

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Knight15 wrote: Not sure if your aware, but there is a world outside your house - the 128 country makes no sense (too much of a stretch I believe you used before) as there would be too many 'blow outs', not enough quality and it would go on far too long

Your argument re getting up for Brazil v Croatia (is a bit sad considering you live here, yes we have all wept at the stories that you are forced to and would much prefer England etc etc etc - but if you tried you could learn to love Australia) and the 'World' may agree, however (despite having a large Croatian population) more Australians (even those who were born elsewhere - like England but have learned to love their adopted country and don't batter on about how they need to be here) would get up - therefore if you maintain the status quo, more people watch
It's sad that I would get up for what I would consider to be a better game? So the world would agree with me but we must keep it this way because some people in Australia wouldn't be happy about it. :lol: As I said, take a look at a map, there's a lot of other countries out there.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

16 groups of 3? So, if you lose first match, good chance to pack bags early. Fancy all the build up merely for two games for so many.
Ignore this signature

Nordland Fylke
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Nordland Fylke »

The event has already been tarnished.
FM radio is being phased out

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:16 groups of 3? So, if you lose first match, good chance to pack bags early. Fancy all the build up merely for two games for so many.
A lot of teams will get through with 3 points.

If the other game is a win to the team you beat - you're through

If it's a draw, you're through.

If the team you beat, lose then it's down to GD.

Plus, we can have a contrived result like in 1982.

Inoue Waka
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Inoue Waka »

God is an Englishman wrote:A lot of teams will get through with 3 points.
I don't think Bomber was serious, but with what your saying all three teams could finish with three points. Two of them aren't through.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Inoue Waka wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:A lot of teams will get through with 3 points.
I don't think Bomber was serious, but with what your saying all three teams could finish with three points. Two of them aren't through.
No, 2 of them are through and 1 is going home. 32 teams go into the 2nd round.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

I can see more defensive games coming from this set up
Ignore this signature

Inoue Waka
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Inoue Waka »

God is an Englishman wrote:32 teams go into the 2nd round.
That's even more daft.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Inoue Waka wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:32 teams go into the 2nd round.
That's even more daft.
The whole idea of 48 teams is crazy .