Southgates First England Squad

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Southgates First England Squad

Post by ozzie owl »

With Sterling and Johnson been withdrawn due to injury here is the revised squad.

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Torino, on loan from Manchester City), Tom Heaton (Burnley)

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Michael Keane (Burnley), Danny Rose (Tottenham), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kyle Walker (Tottenham)

Midfielders: Eric Dier (Tottenham), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Michail Antonio (West Ham), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Dele Alli (Tottenham), Andros Townsend (Crystal Palace)

Strikers: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Jamie Vardy (Leicester)

Assuming they play 4-3-3 (Southgate's preferred formation), does that mean bench for Rooney?

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: Southgates First England Squad

Post by Old Master »

More likely for Sturridge in my opinion.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Mrs Red
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Mrs Red »

IMO Rooney shouldn't even be in the squad.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Mrs Red wrote:IMO Rooney shouldn't even be in the squad.

On his recent club form, you're right but on his value to the England squad, he deserves a spot.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

ozzie owl wrote:With Sterling and Johnson been withdrawn due to injury here is the revised squad.

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Torino, on loan from Manchester City), Tom Heaton (Burnley)

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Michael Keane (Burnley), Danny Rose (Tottenham), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kyle Walker (Tottenham)

Midfielders: Eric Dier (Tottenham), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Michail Antonio (West Ham), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Dele Alli (Tottenham), Andros Townsend (Crystal Palace)

Strikers: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Jamie Vardy (Leicester)

Assuming they play 4-3-3 (Southgate's preferred formation), does that mean bench for Rooney?
With that squad I would go..

Forster

Walker Stones Smalling Rose

Henderson Dier
Walcott Alli Rashford

Rooney
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Old Master wrote:
Mrs Red wrote:IMO Rooney shouldn't even be in the squad.

On his recent club form, you're right but on his value to the England squad, he deserves a spot.
Squad yes( for now)but starting XI no.

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

haywood djablowme wrote:
With that squad I would go..

Forster

Walker Stones Smalling Rose

Henderson Dier
Walcott Alli Rashford

Rooney
4 spuds &
3 Mancs

you feeling alright mate?
HA'WAY THE LADS

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Henderson wtf, Oxlade-Chamberlain ?, Walcott, Lingard ??, Sturridge ??? What’s his plan, he’s got better players in his U21s

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

N5 1BH wrote:Henderson wtf, Oxlade-Chamberlain ?, Walcott, Lingard ??, Sturridge ??? What’s his plan, he’s got better players in his U21s
Yes but how much EPL game time does the under 21 squad get?

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

Our u/21s & u/17s seem to be doing well thank you very much owl.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

B.Toomer wrote:Our u/21s & u/17s seem to be doing well thank you very much owl.
Very true but let's see how many progress to be EPL regulars.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

On a hiding to nothing against Malta, who they should, and did, beat comfortably, but hardly a stirring performance and hard to judge.

Rooney did OK and Hendo put some nice balls in, but there was zero pressure on them and the build ups were pretty slow.

For me, Rooney had a snap shot in the 8th minute from the edge of the box as the ball fell to him, which shows where he should be playing, or not at all.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Thumping 2-0 win at home to Malta. Bravo. Gareth IS the answer!
Ignore this signature

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Bomber wrote:Thumping 2-0 win at home to Malta. Bravo. Gareth IS the answer!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :roll:

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Old Master wrote:

If sarcasm came along, slapped you in the face and kicked you in the balls, would you recognise it?
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Old Master wrote:

If sarcasm came along, slapped you in the face and kicked you in the balls, would you recognise it?
:lol:
Time for some righteous indignation

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :roll:[/quote]

If sarcasm came along, slapped you in the face and kicked you in the balls, would you recognise it?[/quote]
:lol:[/quote]

England must be relieved they are in a pretty ordinary group. My lot Scotland lucky to get a draw at home against mighty Lithuania. Don't think Southgate will cut it though I admire him for backing Rooney as he has been a stand out for them in the past. Think Southgate is a decent man but don't think he will be ruthless enough (unless he is praising Rooney before axing him). He should get some breathing space but it won't be all plain sailing. Though Scotland are poor we could give England a fright (especially at home).

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Worst thing that could happen Vs Malta was henderson getting man of the match and sturridge scoring. It's only going to encourage them

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

N5 1BH wrote:Worst thing that could happen Vs Malta was henderson getting man of the match and sturridge scoring. It's only going to encourage them
Not sure, I've routinely been a critic of Henderson as a bit weak and slow on the ball, but he looks like he might finally have come of age. However, it was only Malta and he was under no pressure at all, so I'd like to see him when he gets a lot less time on the ball to make decisions and pick passes. Worth his spot though until we know. Same goes for Sturridge, I quite like him as a player and he scored a decent goal so, without an obviously outstanding replacement, keep him there.
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Not a great game but a win is a win. Top of the group - 100% record.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

thebeautifulgame wrote:
England must be relieved they are in a pretty ordinary group. My lot Scotland lucky to get a draw at home against mighty Lithuania. Don't think Southgate will cut it though I admire him for backing Rooney as he has been a stand out for them in the past. Think Southgate is a decent man but don't think he will be ruthless enough (unless he is praising Rooney before axing him). He should get some breathing space but it won't be all plain sailing. Though Scotland are poor we could give England a fright (especially at home).
I will be disappointed to not get 10 wins in the group stage.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
N5 1BH wrote:Worst thing that could happen Vs Malta was henderson getting man of the match and sturridge scoring. It's only going to encourage them
Not sure, I've routinely been a critic of Henderson as a bit weak and slow on the ball, but he looks like he might finally have come of age. However, it was only Malta and he was under no pressure at all, so I'd like to see him when he gets a lot less time on the ball to make decisions and pick passes. Worth his spot though until we know. Same goes for Sturridge, I quite like him as a player and he scored a decent goal so, without an obviously outstanding replacement, keep him there.
Rooney ?

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

God is an Englishman wrote:
thebeautifulgame wrote:

And I will be very disappointed if you do. Following a disastrous Euro, a fortunate away win and an unconvincing win against Malta I would not expect England to take full points though I fully expect them to top the group. Not convinced that Scotland will be in the mix in what is after all an ordinary group. Wouldn't mind coming second to England (well I would but I'm a realist) though I don't expect that to happen.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

N5 1BH wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:
Rooney ?
Well, that's the nub of the whole problem with Rooney. England want to play him for some reason, maybe misguided loyalty, but he's on the same level as a striker as a few other younger players, so they've moved him into midfield where he's also competing with younger, and IMO better, players.
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Rooney to be dropped for the next game and Henderson to be the captain.

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

God is an Englishman wrote:Rooney to be dropped for the next game and Henderson to be the captain.
Confirmed.
HA'WAY THE LADS

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

thebeautifulgame wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:
thebeautifulgame wrote:

And I will be very disappointed if you do. Following a disastrous Euro, a fortunate away win and an unconvincing win against Malta I would not expect England to take full points though I fully expect them to top the group. Not convinced that Scotland will be in the mix in what is after all an ordinary group. Wouldn't mind coming second to England (well I would but I'm a realist) though I don't expect that to happen.
Looks like it will be a close affair when Scotland play England, both as bad as each other :(
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Aussie may want to take note here. A draw away from home against a weak side is not good enough. I am disappointed with the result.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:Aussie may want to take note here. A draw away from home against a weak side is not good enough. I am disappointed with the result.
Poland snuck over the line against Armenia. Not really that happy as it would normally be a goal difference gaining game and in the end took a very late winner from the King just to get the points.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Aussie may want to take note here. A draw away from home against a weak side is not good enough. I am disappointed with the result.
Poland snuck over the line against Armenia. Not really that happy as it would normally be a goal difference gaining game and in the end took a very late winner from the King just to get the points.
3 points is 3 points