FIFA President wants 48 team World Cup

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

FIFA President wants 48 team World Cup

Post by ozzie owl »

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: FIFA President wants 48 team World Cup

Post by Old Master »

Massive boredom. :shock:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

The things they'll do to try and get Scotland to qualify!
Ignore this signature

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Bomber wrote:The things they'll do to try and get Scotland to qualify!
Don't you mean England?

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Old Master wrote:
Don't you mean England?
When did England last not qualify?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Of course they do, more countries to offer bribes then.

Kyūshū Danji
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Kyūshū Danji »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Old Master wrote:
Don't you mean England?
When did England last not qualify?
Oh, the irony of someone from Ōmuta slagging off Kokura as inaka.

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Well Bomber I had to laugh as you beat me to it. Though a proud Scot I have to admit it was the first thing that crossed my mind and FIFA appear to be going the opposite way from UEFA if you believe the rumours. Have to say that I was fairly happy with the existing format of the World Cup and I feel it will take some of the gloss off the competition and make it less attractive. Scotland would huff and puff against the best of them but would inevitably be outclassed by superior opponents. On second thoughts it might make it easier for other teams like Poland as they have failed to qualify since 2006. And just let me add a little interesting fact to give you some food for thought: Poland have qualified for the World Cup 7 times and Scotland 8. Now don't do a GIAE on me Bomber and refuse to accept facts.

Kyūshū Danji
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Kyūshū Danji »

Your facts are wrong. Scotland has qualified nine times.

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Kyūshū Danji wrote:Your facts are wrong. Scotland has qualified nine times.
Even better then :D
I think you may be counting 1950 when we qualified but didn't go to Brazil. If so you are technically correct as my initial info. stated 8. Either way it is better than Poland's record which was my main point.

Kyūshū Danji
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Kyūshū Danji »

There's no technicality about it. You said qualify, not participate.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

thebeautifulgame wrote:
Well Bomber I had to laugh as you beat me to it. Though a proud Scot I have to admit it was the first thing that crossed my mind and FIFA appear to be going the opposite way from UEFA if you believe the rumours. Have to say that I was fairly happy with the existing format of the World Cup and I feel it will take some of the gloss off the competition and make it less attractive. Scotland would huff and puff against the best of them but would inevitably be outclassed by superior opponents. On second thoughts it might make it easier for other teams like Poland as they have failed to qualify since 2006. And just let me add a little interesting fact to give you some food for thought: Poland have qualified for the World Cup 7 times and Scotland 8. Now don't do a GIAE on me Bomber and refuse to accept facts.
I'm Australian - only qualified 4 times. And at least when Poland do qualify, they have a reasonable chance of progressing past the group stage, coming third overall twice. :wink:
Ignore this signature

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Bomber wrote:
thebeautifulgame wrote:
I'm Australian - only qualified 4 times. And at least when Poland do qualify, they have a reasonable chance of progressing past the group stage, coming third overall twice. :wink:
Yes, I do agree with you about progression and standing a chance when you get there and of making a reasonable impression. 1978 apart (We're on the march with Ally's Army') when we were fooled in to thinking we actually had a chance I would say the Scots have sobered up a lot and realise we are 'not very good' to put it bluntly, unlike our great foes England who boast about how well they are going to do come every major tournament.
And yes I know you are Australian and I would not have a cheap dig at them as I consider myself to be part Australian and give them my support also. The dig at Poland was just poking a bit of fun/tit for tat, nothing more and nothing less. :D

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

a better idea is a preliminary qualifying tournament where Asia, Africa and CONCACAF playoff for final places at the World Cup, and cut it back to 16 teams.

This tournament could replace the AFC, CAF and Gold Cups which no one cares about.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Grosso wrote:a better idea is a preliminary qualifying tournament where Asia, Africa and CONCACAF playoff for final places at the World Cup, and cut it back to 16 teams.

This tournament could replace the AFC, CAF and Gold Cups which no one cares about.

Apart from everyone in those groups of counties.

Because you know nothing about Football and the power of it all over the world, you pour scorn on the game that is loved by BILLIONS world wide.

afl, which you obviously support, given your anti-football rantings, appeals to on a million or so people - the rest is hype. :lol:

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Old Master wrote:
Grosso wrote:a better idea is a preliminary qualifying tournament where Asia, Africa and CONCACAF playoff for final places at the World Cup, and cut it back to 16 teams.

Apart from everyone in those groups of counties.

Because you know nothing about Football and the power of it all over the world, you pour scorn on the game that is loved by BILLIONS world wide.

afl, which you obviously support, given your anti-football rantings, appeals to on a million or so people - the rest is hype. :lol:
Wow...............no one cares about AFC, how many people live in Asia Grosso?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Some countries care about the AFC so much they even pretend to be Asian just to be in it.

Some care about Asian championships, I mean after the World Cup, Euro's, Olympics, South American championship, European under 21's, European under 9's... It's probably the most important tournament in the world.

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

Grosso's plan would see a more exciting and higher quality world cup.
As it is currently there are too many minnows and poor games. The world cup was best when it was just top teams competing.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Grosso wrote:Grosso's plan would see a more exciting and higher quality world cup.
As it is currently there are too many minnows and poor games. The world cup was best when it was just top teams competing.
So upsets such as North Korea beating Italy, Cameroon beating Argentina, USA beating England are bad for the game?

To me it sounds like those who think they're at the top are too scared to play "lesser likes" as they might get shown up too often.
Ignore this signature

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Bomber wrote:
Grosso wrote:Grosso's plan would see a more exciting and higher quality world cup.
So upsets such as North Korea beating Italy, Cameroon beating Argentina, USA beating England are bad for the game?

To me it sounds like those who think they're at the top are too scared to play "lesser likes" as they might get shown up too often.
Added to that who can fail to remember (amongst us old blokes anyhow) Scotland's victory over the Netherlands (3-2) in Argentina 1978 and the fantastic solo effort by little Archie Gemmill- bitter sweet memory as we still failed to qualify from our group. For the record Netherlands managed to make the final itself in Buenos Aires where they were beaten 3-1 AET by the hosts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3FvlWyyAKg

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

cut down the amount of teams and then have a secondary tournament for the next set of countries.

Play off between champion of Africa, Asia, Oceania, N America to determine the one side that competes alongside the Souths American and European qualifiers.

Actually, that's not fair as one group gets a cabernet team. 20 teams, 16 from South America and Europe and one from each of the other federations. Top 2 go through to the Quarter Final knock out stages.

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

Bomber wrote:

upsets are not bad for the game but these all occurred when there were less teams in the world cup so you're only proving Grosso's point that the minnows are better quality when there's fewer of them

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Grosso wrote:
Bomber wrote:

upsets are not bad for the game but these all occurred when there were less teams in the world cup so you're only proving Grosso's point that the minnows are better quality when there's fewer of them
Grosso just reinforcing his elitist credentials 8)
Time for some righteous indignation