Old Firm madness back

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Old Firm madness back

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Impressed with Celtic under Rodgers thus far (did Lincoln Red Imps really happen? :oops:) and thoroughly enjoyed the 5-1 mauling of Rangers though sections of 'fans' of either side should be ashamed of their behaviour as much of it was distasteful to say the least. The games and rivalry I have missed but the bigotry and hatred I have not. Passion and atmosphere is one thing but to trash toilets and hang 'suicidal effigies' from the stands we can certainly all do without. These morons just bring shame to themselves and their respective clubs.
That aside Celtic have a lot to look forward to in the Champions League but will not be fooled in to thinking that they can qualify from such a strong group (Barcelona, Man City and Borussia Monchengladbach). Think the best Celtic can hope for is third and even if they do manage this I seriously doubt it will be enough to get in to the Europa League.
Barcelona first up and I fear a potential mauling as they will be hurting from a surprise defeat at the weekend. Celtic capable of competing at home with all teams but will find it extremely difficult at all away venues. Will have to get a more solid defence if they wish to have any glimmer of hope.

Ippatsu Geinin
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Old Firm madness back

Post by Ippatsu Geinin »

How are sevco rangers finding their first season in the top flight?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Ippatsu Geinin wrote:How are sevco rangers finding their first season in the top flight?
Probably not quite as bad as Celtic's Euro campaign so far. :P
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Ippatsu Geinin wrote:How are sevco rangers finding their first season in the top flight?
You seem to have missed the word "back" in that post and added in some strange word "sevco".

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

thebeautifulgame wrote:Impressed with Celtic under Rodgers thus far (did Lincoln Red Imps really happen? :oops:) and thoroughly enjoyed the 5-1 mauling of Rangers though sections of 'fans' of either side should be ashamed of their behaviour as much of it was distasteful to say the least. The games and rivalry I have missed but the bigotry and hatred I have not. Passion and atmosphere is one thing but to trash toilets and hang 'suicidal effigies' from the stands we can certainly all do without. These morons just bring shame to themselves and their respective clubs.
That aside Celtic have a lot to look forward to in the Champions League but will not be fooled in to thinking that they can qualify from such a strong group (Barcelona, Man City and Borussia Monchengladbach). Think the best Celtic can hope for is third and even if they do manage this I seriously doubt it will be enough to get in to the Europa League.
Barcelona first up and I fear a potential mauling as they will be hurting from a surprise defeat at the weekend. Celtic capable of competing at home with all teams but will find it extremely difficult at all away venues. Will have to get a more solid defence if they wish to have any glimmer of hope.
Balanced post - I'm shocked. I was waiting for a complaint about one of the incidents but not the other.

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Bomber wrote:
And here is the man who complains that Comets have overspent in the local Leagues (and may be a valid point though they under performed). Trouble is you can't complain about it from one side then have a smirk about it when it suits (no matter what level). Liverpool (your favourites and personally I have nothing against the Club) have spent an enormous amount of money merely trying to compete in the English Premiership over the last few seasons let alone the Champions League. Luckily enough for them (and most other Clubs in the EPL) they can offload their under performing misfits for over inflated prices.
Let's keep it simple Bomber, you can't wait to have a dig at Rodgers/Celtic (amongst others) when they fall but didn't hear a peep from you when your other adopted team (Rangers) were humbled. Cold hard facts are: Barcelona spent 339.3 Million on their current squad compared to Celtic's 16.6 Million (difference of 332.7 Million). Rangers have spent next to zilch so I was not gloating with the 5-1 scoreline and was fearing the worst against Barcelona as I understand the game. I would imagine you would be rubbing your hands before the fixture expecting much the same.
In summary: Celtic miles ahead of Rangers, Celtic light years behind Barcelona, and the distance between Barcelona and Rangers immeasurable (to infinity and beyond) at this point in time. So yes Bomber, I agree with you that money does make a huge difference- just don't be a hypocrite about it. :roll:
P.S. Messi and Co on another planet (fine line between pleasure and pain)

Ippatsu Geinin
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Ippatsu Geinin »

God is an Englishman wrote:
You seem to have missed the word "back" in that post and added in some strange word "sevco".
I know exactly what I meant.

Ippatsu Geinin
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Ippatsu Geinin »

Bomber wrote:
It would appear Celtic don't like travelling to the Medeteranian (and yes I know I've spelled that wrong)..

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

God is an Englishman wrote:
thebeautifulgame wrote:Impressed with Celtic under Rodgers thus far (did Lincoln Red Imps really happen? :oops:) and thoroughly enjoyed the 5-1 mauling of Rangers though sections of 'fans' of either side should be ashamed of their behaviour as much of it was distasteful to say the least. The games and rivalry I have missed but the bigotry and hatred I have not. Passion and atmosphere is one thing but to trash toilets and hang 'suicidal effigies' from the stands we can certainly all do without. These morons just bring shame to themselves and their respective clubs.
Balanced post - I'm shocked. I was waiting for a complaint about one of the incidents but not the other.
As Billy Connolly (the 'Big Yin') once joked he went to his Doctor as ordered by his wife to check out his mental state. After a few quick questions the doctor quipped "Pleased to say Mr. Connolly your mental state of health is fine and perfectly balanced- you have a chip on both shoulders!" :lol:

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

thebeautifulgame wrote:
Bomber wrote:
And here is the man who complains that Comets have overspent in the local Leagues (and may be a valid point though they under performed). Trouble is you can't complain about it from one side then have a smirk about it when it suits (no matter what level). Liverpool (your favourites and personally I have nothing against the Club) have spent an enormous amount of money merely trying to compete in the English Premiership over the last few seasons let alone the Champions League. Luckily enough for them (and most other Clubs in the EPL) they can offload their under performing misfits for over inflated prices.
Let's keep it simple Bomber, you can't wait to have a dig at Rodgers/Celtic (amongst others) when they fall but didn't hear a peep from you when your other adopted team (Rangers) were humbled. Cold hard facts are: Barcelona spent 339.3 Million on their current squad compared to Celtic's 16.6 Million (difference of 332.7 Million). Rangers have spent next to zilch so I was not gloating with the 5-1 scoreline and was fearing the worst against Barcelona as I understand the game. I would imagine you would be rubbing your hands before the fixture expecting much the same.
In summary: Celtic miles ahead of Rangers, Celtic light years behind Barcelona, and the distance between Barcelona and Rangers immeasurable (to infinity and beyond) at this point in time. So yes Bomber, I agree with you that money does make a huge difference- just don't be a hypocrite about it. :roll:
P.S. Messi and Co on another planet (fine line between pleasure and pain)
:lol: Talk about making mountains out of molehills! Ease up sunshine, belting Rangers isn't hardly earth shattering and would be like comparing a Hawthorn to battering a current Essendon side.
Ignore this signature

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

The BBC wrote:Barca's speed of thought and movement was delicious. Football, yes, but not as anybody in Scotland knows it.
Time for some righteous indignation

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

P.S. Messi and Co on another planet (fine line between pleasure and pain)[/quote]

:lol: Talk about making mountains out of molehills! Ease up sunshine, belting Rangers isn't hardly earth shattering and would be like comparing a Hawthorn to battering a current Essendon side.[/quote]

Poor comparison IMO as you are comparing another sport with different circumstances. You could have compared belting Rangers to Celtic's mauling by Barca (as per 332.7 Million spending difference between the Clubs). Celtic are stuck between the devil and the deep blue (no pun intended) sea. For example do they really want to spend another $50M to win a poor Scottish League and only get beaten say 4-0 for argument's sake away to Barcelona? The divide is getting wider and IMO is not a good and fair (more unfair as it has never been fair) thing for football in general. Celtic (and potentially Rangers if they get their act together) are in danger of getting to a point of no return and the current situation will continue to undermine the quality of football in Scotland. Rodgers will not outlast his stay and it is more likely he will walk before he is asked to. You know (as I do) that money means everything and the so called wealthier clubs will strive to widen the gap. More humiliating defeats to come I fear (and not just Celtic) in the Champions League.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

thebeautifulgame wrote:Poor comparison IMO as you are comparing another sport with different circumstances. You could have compared belting Rangers to Celtic's mauling by Barca (as per 332.7 Million spending difference between the Clubs). Celtic are stuck between the devil and the deep blue (no pun intended) sea. For example do they really want to spend another $50M to win a poor Scottish League and only get beaten say 4-0 for argument's sake away to Barcelona? The divide is getting wider and IMO is not a good and fair (more unfair as it has never been fair) thing for football in general. Celtic (and potentially Rangers if they get their act together) are in danger of getting to a point of no return and the current situation will continue to undermine the quality of football in Scotland. Rodgers will not outlast his stay and it is more likely he will walk before he is asked to. You know (as I do) that money means everything and the so called wealthier clubs will strive to widen the gap. More humiliating defeats to come I fear (and not just Celtic) in the Champions League.
Scotland don't deserve a Champions League playoff spot any more, the SPL is too weak. Might as well let Dagenham & Redbridge go into it.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Scotland don't deserve a Champions League playoff spot any more, the SPL is too weak. Might as well let Dagenham & Redbridge go into it.[/quote]

I can understand your opinion NOC but if you look around there are only a few top competitive leagues in Europe- England, Germany, Spain and Italy etc. and even those are dominated by the same clubs every year with the possible exception of England due to the huge amount of money being generated and spent by several Clubs. I believe Celtic are there on merit and even though they will toil in their group it should be remembered that Barcelona and Man City are more than capable of beating teams in their own respective leagues by four or five goals on a regular basis and would expect one of them (perhaps both) to ultimately reach the final. Celtic hammered Kilmarnock 6-1 at the weekend and played some lovely football but Man City will obviously be a completely different proposition. Man City will be a handful but I expect Celtic's pride will be hurting and hopefully they will put in a creditable performance on the night.
I have experienced European nights at Celtic Park and they have a very special atmosphere. I hope that UEFA are sympathetic towards the so called smaller nations like Scotland (and several others) and that they are entitled to compete for Champions League qualification places.
The gap is widening but to suggest Dagenham and Redbridge (no disrespect to them sitting top of Div 5 in real terms in England) might as well 'go in to it' is a bit disrespectful to Scottish football and if you compare Scottish and English Clubs meeting head on in Europe I think you may get a rude awakening (despite difference in money and resources).
P.S. Seems the top player in the Championship last season (Barton) can't seem to cut the mustard in the 'weak SPL' (actually SPFL) after claiming he was going North to dominate the game and be the 'best player in Scotland'- his words not mine. Many players who travel North testify that it is a lot tougher than they had ever imagined.
By all means NOC have a go (SPFL) but please don't be so rude and disrespectful. :roll:

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Stitch This wrote:
The BBC wrote:Barca's speed of thought and movement was delicious. Football, yes, but not as anybody in Scotland knows it.
Let me rephrase:

Iceland's speed of thought and movement was delicious. Football, yes, but not as anybody in England knows it.
Sorry, couldn't resist. :twisted: :lol:
P.S. A dig at the hypocritical sportswriters of BBC, not the England supporters.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

thebeautifulgame wrote:By all means NOC have a go (SPFL) but please don't be so rude and disrespectful. :roll:
:lol: Just winding the sweaties up. I'm old enough to remember the Home Nations games in the 60s and 70s when they had a decent side.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
thebeautifulgame wrote:By all means NOC have a go (SPFL) but please don't be so rude and disrespectful. :roll:
:lol: Just winding the sweaties up. I'm old enough to remember the Home Nations games in the 60s and 70s when they had a decent side.
And I'm old enough to remember drawing with Man City when the rest of the EPL can't get close :lol: :lol: :lol:
Are you Bodo in disguise?

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Knight15 wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:
And I'm old enough to remember drawing with Man City when the rest of the EPL can't get close :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well said Knight15 , the so called experts(football pundits) at BBC were expecting City to run riot though in fairness John Collins said that "anything could happen'" prior to kick off. Celtic can be proud of their effort but need to show a lot more composure, drive, mental strength and tactical awareness away from home in Europe. Man City should have edged it in the end but for now Celtic deserve a bit of credit. Don't think they get enough respect from the Press when playing the European big guns at home (Celtic Park) though the teams themselves won't have that attitude. I hope Brendan Rodgers can manage to turn things around away from home but I think we won't manage a single point on the road to be honest. The main thing for Celtic is to keep on progressing as a team this season, win the League convincingly and be in a better place next year not only to qualify for the Champion's League but to reach the second stage. Would also help if we don't get drawn against Man. City and Barcelona- they really are streets ahead. Would not be surprised if they were to meet head on in the Final itself on June 3 2017 at the Millenium Stadium, Cardiff, Wales (though Gareth Bale in particular and his Real Madrid team mates will do their best to make sure they are there).