Big Sams first England squad

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Re: Big Sams first England squad

Post by ozzie owl »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Mackem Lad wrote:
Old Master wrote:I've always seen Rooney's future for England and ManUre as that played so well by Paul Scholes.

They have the same attributes and ability to score from outside the box.
Interesting as he has scored 89 of his 100 goals at Old Trafford from inside the box.........
Note to Sam: That's 'cos he's a forward :lol:
NOC if Big Sam plays 4-2-3-1 , who would play as the striker Rooney or Kane?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

ozzie owl wrote:NOC if Big Sam plays 4-2-3-1 , who would play as the striker Rooney or Kane?
Long term it would be Sturridge, Kane or perhaps Rashford (given his current form), but short term I'd be perfectly happy to see Shrek up there, he's still a very good forward. Players look good in their club sides, playing a certain way and they get picked for England on that form, yet they're then asked to play a different role under a different system. No bloody wonder some of them look lost.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

ozzie owl wrote:NOC if Big Sam plays 4-2-3-1 , who would play as the striker Rooney or Kane?
Why not Vardy?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Why not Vardy?
Bit of a long ball merchant, which you don't get at international level really, plus he's not exactly a spring chicken. OK as a short term though.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Why not Vardy?
Bit of a long ball merchant, which you don't get at international level really, plus he's not exactly a spring chicken. OK as a short term though.
Pick the best player in the position. If he's good enough, he's young enough.

He's 29, Rooney's 30.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Nice One Cyril wrote:Bit of a long ball merchant, which you don't get at international level really, plus he's not exactly a spring chicken. OK as a short term though.

He's 29, Rooney's 30.
I tend to agree, age shouldn't be a factor, EXCEPT when planning for a tournament 2-4 years away. Has to be a bit of common sense rather than blindly selecting those that did it in the past.

Do you really think Vardy is the best we've got? Reminds me of Darren Bent :lol:
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:Bit of a long ball merchant, which you don't get at international level really, plus he's not exactly a spring chicken. OK as a short term though.

He's 29, Rooney's 30.
I tend to agree, age shouldn't be a factor, EXCEPT when planning for a tournament 2-4 years away. Has to be a bit of common sense rather than blindly selecting those that did it in the past.

Do you really think Vardy is the best we've got? Reminds me of Darren Bent :lol:
No, I don't think he's the best but he certainly out performed the other strikers in the Euro's.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Nice One Cyril wrote:I tend to agree, age shouldn't be a factor, EXCEPT when planning for a tournament 2-4 years away. Has to be a bit of common sense rather than blindly selecting those that did it in the past.

No, I don't think he's the best but he certainly out performed the other strikers in the Euro's.
Which is not saying a lot. Personally I've always thought the manager should decide which system he wants to play, then pick the players that suit, not the other way around. Square pegs and all that.
Danny Blanchflower

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

Mackem Lad wrote:
Old Master wrote:I've always seen Rooney's future for England and ManUre as that played so well by Paul Scholes.

Interesting as he has scored 89 of his 100 goals at Old Trafford from inside the box.........
How many of those would be penalties?
It's all in the Delivery!

getborn
Star Player
Star Player

Post by getborn »

Old Master wrote:

I've always seen Rooney's future for England and ManUre as that played so well by Paul Scholes.

If I were Scholes i'd be offended by that comparison.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Brian the Postman wrote:
Mackem Lad wrote:

How many of those would be penalties?

Rooney has scored 11 goals for ManUre from outside the box, how many has he scored for England?

How many goals has he 'assisted' for both?

I agree with GAIE (choke :shock: ) on the choice of Vardy up front, as Rooney could put some excellent balls for him to run on to, plus he was the top goal score in the EPL last season and many pundits claim the EPL is the 'Toughest League In The World'.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Old Master wrote:Rooney has scored 11 goals for ManUre from outside the box, how many has he scored for England?

I agree with GAIE (choke :shock: ) on the choice of Vardy up front, as Rooney could put some excellent balls for him to run on to, plus he was the top goal score in the EPL last season and many pundits claim the EPL is the 'Toughest League In The World'.
Honestly, you have no idea whatsoever, Harry Kane was the Golden Boot winner. :roll:

Besides which, Rooney plays too deep to play that sort of through ball, all he can do is spread it wide. Besides which, Vardy requires space in behind defenders, something you don't get at international tournaments.
Danny Blanchflower

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

First squad and promises that everything is going to be different but ends up playing 8 of the 11 that played the last game and we stumble over the line to a boring 1-0 win. Please - I've heard it all before.

Ippatsu Geinin
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Ippatsu Geinin »

At your age I'm not surprised.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Redback wrote:First squad and promises that everything is going to be different but ends up playing 8 of the 11 that played the last game and we stumble over the line to a boring 1-0 win. Please - I've heard it all before.
I didn't see MUCH wrong with the team, it was the tactics in the Euro's that baffled me.

getborn
Star Player
Star Player

Post by getborn »

Old Redback wrote:First squad and promises that everything is going to be different but ends up playing 8 of the 11 that played the last game and we stumble over the line to a boring 1-0 win. Please - I've heard it all before.
I didn't see MUCH wrong with the team, it was the tactics in the Euro's that baffled me.
Not sure if Rooney or Scholes :wink:
https://vine.co/v/5ZW5An9WjEe

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

You mean like playing a centre forward as a holding midfielder?
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Did everyone miss his performances at the Euro's in that DM role, I thought he was superb during those games.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:I didn't see MUCH wrong with the team, it was the tactics in the Euro's that baffled me.
Did everyone miss his performances at the Euro's in that DM role, I thought he was superb during those games.

Hehe, you're getting as bad as JD and OM :wink:
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

I thought he played well there, mourinho's been playing him there as well. So he must agree with me.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

God is an Englishman wrote:I thought he played well there, mourinho's been playing him there as well. So he must agree with me.
Really? I thought he slowed the play down, played some nice long balls but also gave it away too often for that position on the pitch and generally hogged the ball rather than moving it on.

He played like a centre forward playing in midfield for me, he wasn't horrible, but completely ruined the balance of the team and stopped others being able to play their game.

I'm happy for him to play for England, but as a 9 or 10.

A bit different in club football, as you're playing and training with those guys all season long, but it'll be interesting to see if they play him there in their Champions League games :wink:
Danny Blanchflower

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Old Master wrote:Rooney has scored 11 goals for ManUre from outside the box, how many has he scored for England?

Honestly, you have no idea whatsoever, Harry Kane was the Golden Boot winner. :roll:

Besides which, Rooney plays too deep to play that sort of through ball, all he can do is spread it wide. Besides which, Vardy requires space in behind defenders, something you don't get at international tournaments.
'Arry may have won the Golden Boot, but that was in the EPL and he had some great, non-English players laying the ball on for him and one English player who didn't get picked for the Euro's.

As for Vardy, he knows how to make the early run better than any other current English player and that works at every level, even EC & WC, as long as there is someone capable of passing the ball accurately from a deep position.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Against Man City last night Rooney played an excellent game, he was certainly the only ManUre player who gave everything he had all the time he was on the pitch and he created most of their action in front of goal, including their goal.

Joe Hart must have had a good laugh at Bravo's display though. :lol:

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Old Master wrote:Against Man City last night Rooney played an excellent game, he was certainly the only ManUre player who gave everything he had all the time he was on the pitch and he created most of their action in front of goal, including their goal.

So, not in midfield then?
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Old Master wrote:Against Man City last night Rooney played an excellent game, he was certainly the only ManUre player who gave everything he had all the time he was on the pitch and he created most of their action in front of goal, including their goal.

So, not in midfield then?

He was playing right midfield from what I saw

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

2nd half only.....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

getborn
Star Player
Star Player

Post by getborn »

Joe Hart has his own problems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNXnvUDnQRM

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

Might be Dodgy Sam's only England Squad.....
It's all in the Delivery!

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Brian the Postman wrote:Might be Dodgy Sam's only England Squad.....
:lol: And they wouldn't appoint 'Arry because of the alleged brown envelopes.
Danny Blanchflower

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

The thing is this is not BSA's first time but the FA chose to forget about his past dealings at Bolton.
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all