EPL 2017/18

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: EPL 2016/2017

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Old Master wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:
Old Master wrote:Wonder how they'll go against Spurs tonight?

If they lose this, Klopp's future could well be in doubt, particularly with a Chinese conglomerate in the background wanting to take over the club. :?:
Why would they sack Klopp? You're as daft as a brush.

Anyhow, a slightly dubious penalty with next to no contact, but Liverpool were definitely the better team and should have picked up the points, just couldn't finish. Spurs still suffering from the Euro hangover by the looks of it.

Liverpool players are struggling to understand Klopp's system and team & positional selections in my opinion.

Why on earth would you play a one-footed right side midfielder as a left back, for example?

And why would you not play Sturridge in his natural position when he is the best available to him?

The guy with the 'Ibrahimovic Bob', Florino or something, was a waste of space in all three matches so far, can't beat an opponent, can't pass, and can't score and is too slow.

He may have been one of their leading scorers last season but I've seen nothing to date in him that would lead me to pick him over Sturridge or even Orrigi.

As for Spurs, they just seem to be in a similar position, with players struggling to work out what to do, particularly in midfield where they were so strong last season.
We played well in parts against Arsenal and deservedly won, we played well in parts v Spurs and could easily have won. We played poorly v Burnley.

I have faith in Klopp, I can get your message to him if you want, I am sure he won't value it, and anyone who does is bonkers.
Out of interest, what success have you had managing professional footballers?

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

Nice One Cyril wrote:

If they lose this, Klopp's future could well be in doubt, particularly with a Chinese conglomerate in the background wanting to take over the club. :?:

Anyhow, a slightly dubious penalty with next to no contact, but Liverpool were definitely the better team and should have picked up the points, just couldn't finish. Spurs still suffering from the Euro hangover by the looks of it.
Wasn't a great game to watch, 2 teams more intent on chasing each other around rather than playing football.

Penalty was nailed on, defender was stupid to initiate contact in the box.
It's all in the Delivery!

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Brian the Postman wrote:Penalty was nailed on, defender was stupid to initiate contact in the box.

Sort of sums up modern "non contact" football. The merest brush and the bloke falls over his own feet. :lol:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Brian the Postman wrote:Penalty was nailed on, defender was stupid to initiate contact in the box.

Sort of sums up modern "non contact" football. The merest brush and the bloke falls over his own feet. :lol:
but the grappling shirt pulling and wrestling in the box causes the refs go into 3 wise monkey mode
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by totsreds08 »

Old Master wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

Liverpool players are struggling to understand Klopp's system and team & positional selections in my opinion.

Why on earth would you play a one-footed right side midfielder as a left back, for example?

And why would you not play Sturridge in his natural position when he is the best available to him?

The guy with the 'Ibrahimovic Bob', Florino or something, was a waste of space in all three matches so far, can't beat an opponent, can't pass, and can't score and is too slow.

He may have been one of their leading scorers last season but I've seen nothing to date in him that would lead me to pick him over Sturridge or even Orrigi.

As for Spurs, they just seem to be in a similar position, with players struggling to work out what to do, particularly in midfield where they were so strong last season.
You seem to be the one not understanding klopp' tactics. Firmino is a much harder working player than sturridge so when we play good teams, you'll find firmino starting because he presses more.
When we play a weaker team, sturridge or origi would start because the press isn't exactly needed due to Liverpool having majority of possession.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Martin Tyler wrote:This may be West Ham's new home, but they look like aliens in a foreign land
I think the bubble blowing machine has broken down :wink:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Wayne Kerr
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Wayne Kerr »

Man City title to lose!
We got Ova' Here?? #ACCUPAHATERS!

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Wayne Kerr wrote:Man City title to lose!
Have they played anyone decent yet?
Ignore this signature

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Bomber wrote:
They are about to- Celtic in the Champions League! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looking like Liverpool (your lot) could be Man. City's biggest challenger for the title and from a neutral/selfish point of view I would like it to go down to the wire. Early days and some injuries, suspensions to come for most clubs.

P.S. Just wondering Bomber, do you bother 'supporting' any Football Club in Poland? Couldn't fail to notice the heavy home defeat suffered by Legia Warsaw v Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League. My club has had their share of Poles in the past and they were all pretty useful.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

thebeautifulgame wrote:
Bomber wrote:

Looking like Liverpool (your lot) could be Man. City's biggest challenger for the title and from a neutral/selfish point of view I would like it to go down to the wire. Early days and some injuries, suspensions to come for most clubs.

P.S. Just wondering Bomber, do you bother 'supporting' any Football Club in Poland? Couldn't fail to notice the heavy home defeat suffered by Legia Warsaw v Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League. My club has had their share of Poles in the past and they were all pretty useful.
Parents had some Legia players over for dinner when they toured in 1975 in Adelaide and have some signed autographs from then.

That said, I still have a leaning towards Lech Poznan but not with any "vigour".
Ignore this signature

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Bomber wrote:
thebeautifulgame wrote:

Parents had some Legia players over for dinner when they toured in 1975 in Adelaide and have some signed autographs from then.

That said, I still have a leaning towards Lech Poznan but not with any "vigour".
Turned your back on them, hey?

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

hehe pay that.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Slinky_Pete wrote:
Bomber wrote:
thebeautifulgame wrote:

Turned your back on them, hey?
Only if there's a nice sort walking past, top row. :wink:
Ignore this signature

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

COYS! :D
Danny Blanchflower

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by totsreds08 »

Nice One Cyril wrote:COYS! :D
Huge win and good performance. I thought city would win this one rather comfortably but you guys did extremely well. League wide open!

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Been getting reacquainted with the BBCs Match of the Day this season. Still a good show, especially with Ian Wright in it.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

N5 1BH wrote:Been getting reacquainted with the BBCs Match of the Day this season. Still a good show, especially with Ian Wright in it.
How can you see that show in oz?

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

ozzie owl wrote:
N5 1BH wrote:Been getting reacquainted with the BBCs Match of the Day this season. Still a good show, especially with Ian Wright in it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/footballhighlights/

Kumamoto
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Kumamoto »

ozzie owl wrote:
Quite easily. I can even get it in Japan.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Shaping up to be a good competition this season and I'm looking forward to seeing Spurs on top in January :wink:
Danny Blanchflower

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Nice One Cyril wrote:Shaping up to be a good competition this season and I'm looking forward to seeing Spurs on top in January :wink:

Top of what exactly, the draw for the Europa cup round of 32? Was starting to worry that Pochettino might finally be bringing some long absent respectability to the haringey spuds but 50 million quid for Sissoko and Janssen suggests normal service will be resumed.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

N5 1BH wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:Shaping up to be a good competition this season and I'm looking forward to seeing Spurs on top in January :wink:

Top of what exactly, the draw for the Europa cup round of 32? Was starting to worry that Pochettino might finally be bringing some long absent respectability to the haringey spuds but 50 million quid for Sissoko and Janssen suggests normal service will be resumed.
:lol: Just you wait, Sissoko is sure to produce a performance soon. When is France's next match? :wink:

I don't actually mind Janssen, I think he might turn out OK given a bit of time, just wish he'd hit the target sometimes!
Danny Blanchflower

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
N5 1BH wrote:

:lol: Just you wait, Sissoko is sure to produce a performance soon. When is France's next match? :wink:

I don't actually mind Janssen, I think he might turn out OK given a bit of time, just wish he'd hit the target sometimes!
At least Janssen tries his heart out but Kane did look sharp while he was on against us. With Son & that twat Lamela showing big improvement this year and if Kane starts putting them away again, top in Jan is not out of the question I reckon

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

With Liverpool imploding and Man United and Spurs both lucky to grab a point, have to hope that Burnley and Hull can produce a miracle.

Not holding my breath though :lol:
Danny Blanchflower

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Nice One Cyril wrote:With Liverpool imploding and Man United and Spurs both lucky to grab a point, have to hope that Burnley and Hull can produce a miracle.

I'm quietly optimistic.
Time for some righteous indignation

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Stitch This wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:With Liverpool imploding and Man United and Spurs both lucky to grab a point, have to hope that Burnley and Hull can produce a miracle.

I'm quietly optimistic.
If they reduced the size of EPL to say, 16 teams, Liverpool could win it easy. Top teams, no problems, bottom ones, there's the problem!
Ignore this signature

Ronnie Chiggs
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Ronnie Chiggs »

:lol:
No-one is innocent

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Stitch This wrote:

I'm quietly optimistic.
Quietly is not your forte :wink:
Danny Blanchflower

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Stitch This wrote:

I'm quietly optimistic.
Quietly is not your forte :wink:
:mrgreen:
Time for some righteous indignation

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Hull actually made an effort and Jeez, the Gooners were lucky to get away with an offside on their penalty.
Danny Blanchflower