Who replaces Roy as England Manager?

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Who replaces Roy as England Manager?

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

HA'WAY THE LADS

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

brushmancity wrote:What about Pellegrini? Thoughts anyone?
Only managed one year of success (relatively) with overpaid and overhyped players whose ego was out of touch with their supporters so in that sense he is better equipped than the last england manager but definitely not a realistic long term candidate.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Talking about Rooney
Mourinho wrote:Maybe he is not a striker, not a No 9 anymore but for me he will never be a No 6, playing 50 metres from the goal.

You can tell me his pass is amazing but my pass is also amazing without pressure. To be there and put the ball in the net is the most difficult thing. For me he will be a 9, a 10, a nine and a half but never a 6 or an 8.
At least someone understands. Shame Woy was such a twat.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

He may turn out to be a fine manager, but the FA are not going to appoint someone with zero real experience. Now that Southgate and Harry have ruled themselves out, Klinsmann is the new bookies favourite with Hoddle behind him. I'd probably take either of them.[/quote]

Giggs has no managerial experience - he's the Perfect Candidate for the England Job - and will probably be approached now he's out of a job!

I thought they might have gone for an English manager who has had major success at a big European Club - then I woke up and realised there aren't any! :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

He's managed Man U, so clearly has some experience.

What do you think about Hoddle getting the job?[/quote]

As usual you've got it wrong - Giggs was the ASSISTANT MANAGER that's a long way from being an experienced manager.

What is your obsession with Hoddle? :oops:

He's been given the job as a manager job once before and failed.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

Old Master wrote:As usual you've got it wrong - Giggs was the ASSISTANT MANAGER that's a long way from being an experienced manager.

I think you'll find that Giggs looked after man U when Moyes was given his marching orders, so technically he is right.
Last edited by Raich Carter on Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

I look forward to the day that the "Hoddle" penny drops..............If I live that long!
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Old Master wrote:

As usual you've got it wrong - Giggs was the ASSISTANT MANAGER that's a long way from being an experienced manager.

Could you please tell me who managed Manchester United after David Moyes?

Glen Hoddle is currently 7/1 to be the next England manager.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Old Master wrote:What is your obsession with Hoddle? :oops:

Sort of shows you don't know what you're talking about.

Hoddle didn't keep his trap shut about personal opinions, that's all. Him, Capello and Alf Ramsey are the only managers with win percentages over 60%, so hardly a failure.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

I'd be happy with Hoddle especially as Clough, Venables and 'Arry are all unavailable.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Old Master wrote:

Firstly, I had forgotten about his short stint in charge, but he was only ever a stop gap before a real manager was appointed and didn't really make much difference to the way the team played.

He hasn't been a 'proper' manager yet and will need to prove himself somewhere else before being given the position of Manager at a Top Club.

Secondly, Hoddle failed as manager of England because he never really made a real difference to the way they approached matches against the major countries - like his predecessors he just expect to win because they were England.

He also didn't have the temperament to be a Top manager - blamed everyone else for his inability to coach - typical Southerner.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

Old Master wrote:
Old Master wrote:

Firstly, I had forgotten about his short stint in charge, but he was only ever a stop gap before a real manager was appointed and didn't really make much difference to the way the team played.

He hasn't been a 'proper' manager yet and will need to prove himself somewhere else before being given the position of Manager at a Top Club.

Secondly, Hoddle failed as manager of England because he never really made a real difference to the way they approached matches against the major countries - like his predecessors he just expect to win because they were England.

He also didn't have the temperament to be a Top manager - blamed everyone else for his inability to coach - typical Southerner.
I thought he was sacked because he said disabled people were paying for their sins in a former life :shock:
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Mackem Lad wrote:
Old Master wrote:Firstly, I had forgotten about his short stint in charge, but he was only ever a stop gap before a real manager was appointed and didn't really make much difference to the way the team played.

I thought he was sacked because he said disabled people were paying for their sins in a former life :shock:
He did, although he actually said
GH wrote:I have got an inner belief and an inner faith with God. I do believe spiritually we have to progress because we've been here before. The physical body is just an overcoat for your spirit. At death you take the overcoat off and your spirit will go on to another life in a spirit dimension.

I think we make mistakes when we are down here and our spirit has to come back and learn. That's why there is an injustice in the world. Why there's certain people born into the world with terrible physical problems and why there's a family who has got everything right, physically and mentally.
and you can interpret that how you want, but it's his opinion, based on his beliefs, you don't have to agree with them.

Of course the politicians saw the chance for some self-publicity and shouted loudly, but the FA lack the balls to tell them where to go.
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:
Old Master wrote:

So, would you like to retract your comment about being wrong and add in one about you being wrong?

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

I'm not sure you could categorically describe Hoddle as failing either in his previous stint as a manager.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

surely Marcelo Bielsa....now that would be fun.....might also teach the English about tactics...
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

As though your mob know :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

which mob are you referring to....i can think of 2 mobs...both of whom have won major international tournaments this century...

you know youre making yourself look silly....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote:which mob are you referring to....i can think of 2 mobs...both of whom have won major international tournaments this century...

you know youre making yourself look silly....
I can only think of one of your mobs that have won a major tournament.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

^^^^^^

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Big Sam firming as favourite....emile heskey to put his boots back on....

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote:^^^^^^

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What's the joke?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

MegaBonus wrote:Big Sam firming as favourite....emile heskey to put his boots back on....
Dear Lord, here we go again.

Another four years! :lol:
Danny Blanchflower

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

MegaBonus wrote:Big Sam firming as favourite....emile heskey to put his boots back on....
You never know he may actually play a system that's suits the players at his disposal. He certainly couldn't be any worse than Roy, who had no idea of how to set the side up.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Ex Millwall :D

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

ozzie owl wrote:
You never know he may actually play a system that's suits the players at his disposal. He certainly couldn't be any worse than Roy, who had no idea of how to set the side up.
Sure thing- hoof it up the park and put the defence under pressure. Maybe Kane will be deployed as the long thrower as opposed to taking corners. Any half decent Englishman with a long throw must fancy their chances of getting in to Big Sam's team. All the other countries must be quaking in their boots! He might get more commitment initially but England are taking a massive gamble IMO. That said they should manage a fairly comfortable passage through their respective World Cup group but as always the trouble is once they qualify.
Jack Charlton did reasonably well with Ireland using much the same tactics but I don't think the England fans would accept it and I'm far from convinced that he can adapt his tactics to suit International level football and be a success.

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

thebeautifulgame wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
Sure thing- hoof it up the park and put the defence under pressure. Maybe Kane will be deployed as the long thrower as opposed to taking corners. Any half decent Englishman with a long throw must fancy their chances of getting in to Big Sam's team. All the other countries must be quaking in their boots! He might get more commitment initially but England are taking a massive gamble IMO. That said they should manage a fairly comfortable passage through their respective World Cup group but as always the trouble is once they qualify.
Jack Charlton did reasonably well with Ireland using much the same tactics but I don't think the England fans would accept it and I'm far from convinced that he can adapt his tactics to suit International level football and be a success.
Did he play direct when he was in charge of Bolton where he bought players such as Okocha and Djorkaeff? thought not.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Ex Millwall :D

And Blackpool. :!:

Sam prefers to play good Football but usually has to make do with what he's given, like he had with West Ham.

When he was at Blackpool they played good attacking Football, with pace and skill, and the fans loved him as he used quite a few young academy players during the season and let them use their skills.

He got sacked after he failed to win promotion from Div 4, as it was then, on goal difference.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

well at least if England continue to embarrass themselves at international level, they will do so playing the 'English' way....
instead of 'possessing' for the sake of possession.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote:well at least if England continue to embarrass themselves at international level, they will do so playing the 'English' way....
instead of 'possessing' for the sake of possession.
Exactly right, that last tournament made the point I've made for ages. No point in possession if you don't put the ball in the net.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

If England are looking for someone with a thick skin, excellent man management & organisational skills and a single minded will to win then it has to be big fat Sam.