Who replaces Roy as England Manager?

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Re: Who replaces Roy as England Manager?

Post by ozzie owl »

[quote="Nice One Cyril"]Still reckon Glenn Hoddle (minus Eileen Drewery and the other weird cabernet he did) would be the best we could hope for. England desperately need someone who's tactically astute and who has a vision of how we should play and who is not afraid of reputations, nor afraid to speak his mind.

Remember how he left Gazza out of the WC squad because he didn't think he was fit enough? If only Woy had done that with Wilshere.

The caveat to all of this being, I would hope that he's learned to become a better "people person" and how to handle the media.[/quote

Fair call but just changing the national coach is not enough.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Not heard wengers name come up at all.

Only 3 possible choices for me

Redknappe
Howe
Shearer

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Mackem Lad wrote:
Old Master wrote:This situation is what I've been posting about for many, many years.

I have also written many letters to the FA over the years, suggesting they send promising young coaches to Europe and South America to be schooled in their approaches to coaching young and upcoming players.

Unfortunately I have never received a reply, or recognition of receipt, to any of my letters to them.

I did receive responses, however, from the Welsh and Northern Irish associations thanking me for my detailed suggestions.

I received a later response from the Welsh FA stating that they were currently inviting some experienced junior coaches from Europe, particularly Holland, Spain & Italy to advise their young coaches on European methods.

I also received a letter from Chris Coleman, shortly after his appointment, thanking me for my interesting suggestions.

Not that I am claiming any credit whatsoever for their recent success.

I say that before the trolls start to jump on me. :roll:
They did not not answer you because -
Old Master wrote:
Humiliating, thank heavens I am an Australian citizen (40 years) and have no connections to England any more. :roll:
Was going to post the same. One minute he has no connection with England then he's writing to them.

Can you imagine the welsh FA sending a letter to the random nutter who keeps writing in. Do you think he tells then how great he was as well.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

God is an Englishman wrote:Not heard wengers name come up at all.

Redknappe
Howe
Shearer
Redknapp (I assume you mean Harry) has no chance after having missed out last time. If they'd appointed him then, we might well not be in the mess we are now. Eddie Howe has done a grand job with Bournemouth, but also no chance as he has no resumé to impress the selectors and Shearer has even less management experience.

Wenger has been mentioned in some UK papers, but still has a year, as a minimum, to do at the Goons. Apart from the cheese eating thing, I'd be happy to see him get the job.

Disappointingly, Martin Glenn, who will form part of the panel, has announced that it could be a "man or a woman". What bottle of shiraz planet is this peanut living on?
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

Nice One Cyril wrote:

Redknappe
Howe
Shearer
Redknapp (I assume you mean Harry) has no chance after having missed out last time. If they'd appointed him then, we might well not be in the mess we are now. Eddie Howe has done a grand job with Bournemouth, but also no chance as he has no resumé to impress the selectors and Shearer has even less management experience.

Wenger has been mentioned in some UK papers, but still has a year, as a minimum, to do at the Goons. Apart from the cheese eating thing, I'd be happy to see him get the job.

Disappointingly, Martin Glenn, who will form part of the panel, has announced that it could be a "man or a woman". What bottle of shiraz planet is this peanut living on?
He also said "I'm not a football expert" :roll:

I see Southgate has ruled himself out this morning acording to the press. That's good news at least.

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

God is an Englishman wrote:Can you imagine the welsh FA sending a letter to the random nutter who keeps writing in. Do you think he tells then how great he was as well.
It would be the opening 8 paragraphs of his letter and then "oh by the way here's great coaching tip"
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

Nice One Cyril wrote:

Redknappe
Howe
Shearer

Why wouldn't it be a woman? At least then you would have a coach that empaphises (sp?) with the players and wouldn't complain as much as them.
It's all in the Delivery!

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Brian the Postman wrote:Why wouldn't it be a woman? At least then you would have a coach that empaphises (sp?) with the players and wouldn't complain as much as them.
:lol: You might be onto something there, perhaps we're going about it the wrong way, looking for someone with football knowledge. Why not go for a netball coach since the modern game is about as physical as netball?

P.S. Empathise (UK) or empathize (heathen US)

The spelling lesson is free btw :wink:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Brian the Postman wrote:Why wouldn't it be a woman? At least then you would have a coach that empaphises (sp?) with the players and wouldn't complain as much as them.
:lol: You might be onto something there, perhaps we're going about it the wrong way, looking for someone with football knowledge. Why not go for a netball coach since the modern game is about as physical as netball?

P.S. Empathise (UK) or empathize (heathen US)

The spelling lesson is free btw :wink:
That's what the (sp?) is about.

I think England has a bit of an identity crisis, they don't know who they are or how they should play. I think they would have been better off playing Spain, France or Germany instead of Iceland as they seem to have set themselves up for counter attack.

They should model themselves on Italy, they play like crap but they don't care because they just get results.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

There's a very good article on this question on the SBS website - have read.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Southgate has wisely said take your job and shove it!
Time for some righteous indignation

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

Stitch This wrote:Southgate has wisely said take your job and shove it!
Brilliant news :lol:

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Old Master wrote:There's a very good article on this question on the SBS website - have read.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/blog/201 ... and-itself

Very good read, no doubt the FA will put these ( or any) good ideas into the too hard basket.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

Old Master wrote:There's a very good article on this question on the SBS website - have read.
That’s the complete opposite to what the English pundits (ex-players) are saying. They are slagging off the UEFA coaching courses. Saying they are run by people who have not played the game, giving instructions via iPads and going through a simple tick-box exercise. St Georges park is run by highly qualified coaches on paper but with no experience of playing the game at the highest level.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

ozzie owl wrote:

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/blog/201 ... and-itself

Very good read, no doubt the FA will put these ( or any) good ideas into the too hard basket.
I think they've already sent the private jet out to collect Old Master to advise them. :wink:
Danny Blanchflower

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

magnet wrote:
That’s the complete opposite to what the English pundits (ex-players) are saying. They are slagging off the UEFA coaching courses. Saying they are run by people who have not played the game, giving instructions via iPads and going through a simple tick-box exercise. St Georges park is run by highly qualified coaches on paper but with no experience of playing the game at the highest level.
Well whose right past England players or the countries like Belgium, Spain and Germany that have gone past England in junior development?

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

ozzie owl wrote:
magnet wrote:
Well whose right past England players or the countries like Belgium, Spain and Germany that have gone past England in junior development?
I think something that needs to be considered is that those systems work in those countries. It may not be transferrable to England for Socio/Economic reasons.

It's like the Dutch Cult that our football went through, since we have adopted that model our junior national teams have gotten worse and we have failed to produce many players who hold down a spot in a top division club. That philosophy has been so unsuccessful that when we brought in a Belgian technical director he said the curriculum was rubbish and we have to start again (taken from a 442 article earlier this year).

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

OMG, now the FA are talking to Stuart Lancaster :lol:

This has to be put on the Comedy Channel.
Danny Blanchflower

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

I'd reckon Harry should get it, but who knows given current shambles
Ignore this signature

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nice One Cyril wrote:OMG, now the FA are talking to Stuart Lancaster :lol:

This has to be put on the Comedy Channel.
Jason Gillespie next?

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

ozzie owl wrote:Sections of UK Media hyping up Wenger to take over at end of 2016/17 season as England Manager, with a caretaker until then.
Initially this appears to make sense but if true has Wenger enough time to prepare for the World Cup in 2018 (if end of 2017) and also the 'caretaker' bit could be problematic. ie. Would someone like Redknapp be happy to do the business of qualifying then step aside and make way for someone else? I like Redknapp because he says it like it is and is not a yes man- most probably the reason he has never been offered the job by the English F.A. They could take a measured gamble with someone like Neville as an interim coach but don't imagine they will take the chance.
Unsure if the English fans would accept Wenger with open arms and maybe he himself would not fancy the hassle. Then again money talks so you can never say never in this game and the timing may suit him.
The acid test is always the big two (World Cup and Euros) tournaments but I would be interested to know what would be acceptable to the English fans the next World Cup (assuming they qualify which they should do comfortably). Would the manager be considered a failure if he fails to make or win the final? IMO they are light years behind and the quarter final/last eight should be considered to be an achievement and a huge step in the right direction. Don't think they can expect a huge welcome in Russia :lol:

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

thebeautifulgame wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:Sections of UK Media hyping up Wenger to take over at end of 2016/17 season as England Manager, with a caretaker until then.
Initially this appears to make sense but if true has Wenger enough time to prepare for the World Cup in 2018 (if end of 2017) and also the 'caretaker' bit could be problematic. ie. Would someone like Redknapp be happy to do the business of qualifying then step aside and make way for someone else? I like Redknapp because he says it like it is and is not a yes man- most probably the reason he has never been offered the job by the English F.A. They could take a measured gamble with someone like Neville as an interim coach but don't imagine they will take the chance.
Unsure if the English fans would accept Wenger with open arms and maybe he himself would not fancy the hassle. Then again money talks so you can never say never in this game and the timing may suit him.
The acid test is always the big two (World Cup and Euros) tournaments but I would be interested to know what would be acceptable to the English fans the next World Cup (assuming they qualify which they should do comfortably). Would the manager be considered a failure if he fails to make or win the final? IMO they are light years behind and the quarter final/last eight should be considered to be an achievement and a huge step in the right direction. Don't think they can expect a huge welcome in Russia :lol:
England fans do not expect anything. The last two tournaments have seen us finish bottom of the group and going out to Iceland. A manager with a brain would be a start

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Ryan Giggs is available.....
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

swannsong wrote:Ryan Giggs is available.....
:lol: I heard Giggsy was available and probably in with the same chance as Ryan :wink:

He may turn out to be a fine manager, but the FA are not going to appoint someone with zero real experience. Now that Southgate and Harry have ruled themselves out, Klinsmann is the new bookies favourite with Hoddle behind him. I'd probably take either of them.
Danny Blanchflower

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

In return for Wales' independence, you can ask for Coleman.....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
:lol: I heard Giggsy was available and probably in with the same chance as Ryan :wink:

He may turn out to be a fine manager, but the FA are not going to appoint someone with zero real experience. Now that Southgate and Harry have ruled themselves out, Klinsmann is the new bookies favourite with Hoddle behind him. I'd probably take either of them.

Giggs has no managerial experience - he's the Perfect Candidate for the England Job - and will probably be approached now he's out of a job!

I thought they might have gone for an English manager who has had major success at a big European Club - then I woke up and realised there aren't any! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

Giggs has no managerial experience - he's the Perfect Candidate for the England Job - and will probably be approached now he's out of a job!

I thought they might have gone for an English manager who has had major success at a big European Club - then I woke up and realised there aren't any! :lol: :lol: :lol:
He's managed Man U, so clearly has some experience.

What do you think about Hoddle getting the job?

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Nice One Cyril wrote:

Jesus, and I thought a Frenchman (leading the English) was a novel idea......... but now a German going to lead them! Following Brexit maybe he will have to do the job from home :lol: . I think England have a real crisis in that they don't have a clue about what to do next. Perhaps Waddle's rant the other day was not as crass as first thought.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

thebeautifulgame wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

Jesus, and I thought a Frenchman (leading the English) was a novel idea......... but now a German going to lead them! Following Brexit maybe he will have to do the job from home :lol: . I think England have a real crisis in that they don't have a clue about what to do next. Perhaps Waddle's rant the other day was not as crass as first thought.[/quote

Changing England national coach will have same long term impact as moving deck chairs on the Titanic.

brushmancity
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by brushmancity »

What about Pellegrini? Thoughts anyone?