England fans attacked

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

England fans attacked

Post by Pie and Bovril »

I see the England fans have been picked on again by the French youths. I'm sure the media will turn it around again and say it is all our fault.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: England fans attacked

Post by Old Master »

Pie and Bovril wrote:I see the England fans have been picked on again by the French youths. I'm sure the media will turn it around again and say it is all our fault.
Hard for them to change the habit of a Lifetime. :roll:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

And how did the Daily Mirror report the attack?

Their Headline appears to me to suggest the England fans were the aggressors, whilst the opposite was true.

Euro 2016 off to violent start as England fans clash with French youths ahead of Russia opener
Updated 02:26, 10 Jun 2016
By Martin Fricker

One England fan suffered a serious head injury after being hit across the face with a wooden chair during the brawl in Marseille

Violence flared between England fans and local youths in Marseille last night ahead of the team's Euro 2016 opener against Russia.

One Three Lions supporter suffered a serious head injury after being hit across the face with a wooden chair.

Eyewitnesses said a group of local men attacked England fans as they drank outside a bar in the city's Old Port.

The man, believed to be in his 30s, being cradled by fellow England fans on a pavement.

Riot police swarmed to the scene on a side street close to the area where fans had been mingling peacefully.

Some Three Lions followers retaliated by attacking local shopkeepers and other youths in the area.

One French business owner used CS gas to stop England fans getting into his store.

Read more : Euro 2016 security blunder as Mirror man manages to sneak on England team’s bus

Twitter Clashes in Marseille ahead of the EURO 2016 football tournament
England fans clashed with French youths in Marseilles

"They were baiting us, and then attacked,’ said one fan from Leeds, who identified himself as 'Simon'.

"None of the England fans were doing anything wrong – a few of us had a bit much to drink, but that was all.

"Suddenly a French gang appeared and started attacking us, and throwing stuff. We had to defend ourselves, and then the police showed up."

Groups of fans were then seen running in different directions, as restaurants and bars in the area quickly shut doors and pulled down shutters.

Others spoke of their fear as they were targeted by youths brandishing makeshift weapons, and shouting ‘Get the English’.

Read more : 'Terror' at Euro 2016: Armed police swoop on Lyon fan zone for bomb and gun attack drill

Chris Lord, another England fan from London, said: "This was a really nasty attack. The gang knew exactly where we were, and clearly wanted to hurt us."

As well as riot police, undercover officers brandishing stun guns and telescopic truncheons picked off anybody behaving badly.

Police first responded to the violence at around 11.45pm, and by midnight ambulances were arriving.

It was all a grim reply of the violence in 1998 which happened before and after England’s 1998 World Cup tie with Tunisia in Marseille.

Then, scores of people were hurt, more than 100 ere arrested or deported and some England supporters were later jailed.

Twitter Clashes in Marseille ahead of the EURO 2016 football tournament
Violence flared ahead of England's Euro 2016 opener on Saturday

By the early hours today, police had blocked off roads around the Old Port, using dogs and vans to stop traffic getting through.

Meanwhile, gangs of local thugs could be seen taunting England fans who were trying to get back to hotels.

British football fans are risking an unprecedented security threat in France this week – from hooliganism and terrorism.

It follows warnings from a range of security agencies, ranging from the U.S. State Department to French police that Islamic State terrorists are planning to strike.

Police forces take part in a mock suicide attack exercise as part of security measures for the upcoming Euro 2016 football championship, at the fan zone in Lyon

Marseille commander Laurent Nunez said the Three Lions 'opening match against Russia on Saturday was also 'a particularly high risk' as fire as football-related violence was concerned.

France remains under a State of Emergency following last November's attack, with thousands of soldiers joining police on the streets.

On Sunday, French President Francois Hollande said that the threat of trouble would not stop the European Championships from being successful.

Mr Hollande said a 90,000-strong security force, including soldiers, would ensure the matches being played in 10 cities will be safe.

The England team are due to arrive in Marseille on Friday, and will stay in a city hotel before Saturday’s game.

Some 70,000 England fans – many without tickets – are expected to be in city over the weekend.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Old Master wrote:
Pie and Bovril wrote:I see the England fans have been picked on again by the French youths. I'm sure the media will turn it around again and say it is all our fault.
How many times have you ever travelled away with England? I'm going with zero and you don't have a clue what goes on.

Did you ever see Glen Hoddle play?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Old Master wrote:
How many times have you ever travelled away with England? I'm going with zero and you don't have a clue what goes on.

Did you ever see Glen Hoddle play?
:lol: He probably played for them :wink:

As usual a large number of brave French attack a small number of peaceful Englishmen, then run away at the first sign of fighting back. Then the Old Bill arrive and teargas the rest. I'll lay a bet the cheese eaters don't turn up when there's 50,000+ there for the Russia match.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

predator
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by predator »

England getting their arses handed to them tonight by the Russians :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

predator wrote:England getting their arses handed to them tonight by the Russians :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
My reports differ.

Russians and French attacked the pubs and a few took some slaps and one knifed but England gave as good back.

Seems like as always, the rest of the Europe wants to have a pop at England and we don't back down. Following England is like following Millwall.

Gary Gerald
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Gary Gerald »

Amazing footage all over youtube of English hooligans running like scared children from the big bad russians :lol: :lol:

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

nothing new....they cant stop their warplanes flying over their island either....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

predator
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by predator »

Gary Gerald wrote:Amazing footage all over youtube of English hooligans running like scared children from the big bad russians :lol: :lol:
That's an easy way to clear out a section of the stadium, send in a dozen ultra's :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Gary Gerald wrote:Amazing footage all over youtube of English hooligans running like scared children from the big bad russians :lol: :lol:
To be fair, some of the Russian hooligans are seriously dangerous, they make English troublemakers look like choirboys. Life is cheap in Mother Russia.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

Aussie supporters would pull their pants down & bend over.

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

Everyone seems to attack English fans when they travel abroad to major tournaments, but those attackers dont target anyone else. :?

Hatchet Harry
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Hatchet Harry »

Like some women and children.
If it was the English you'd be calling them champagne, but no they're on the end of it, so you call them soft instead.
Point proven: everyone just wants to throw mud at England.
"I mean, it's enough to give me the arsehole. And I can't have the arsehole... can I, boys?"

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

You're a bottle of shiraz idiot. These people carry knives. Did you see that Dad lift his young son over the barrier? those Russians are Scum.

Gary Gerald
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Gary Gerald »

Carry knives oh dear I'm so scared!!

STAND YOUR GROUND AND FIGHT

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote:nothing new....they cant stop their warplanes flying over their island either....
When has a warplane flown over the island?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Grosso wrote:Everyone seems to attack English fans when they travel abroad to major tournaments, but those attackers dont target anyone else. :?
There was trouble involving N Ireland last night as well. England have the reputation for being the top firm, they all want a shot at the title.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Grosso wrote:Everyone seems to attack English fans when they travel abroad to major tournaments, but those attackers dont target anyone else. :?
There was trouble involving N Ireland last night as well. England have the reputation for being the top firm, they all want a shot at the title.
The Eastern Europeans and the Russians are far more violent these days and most of the equally bad English fans have had their passports taken away.

Good idea to give the 2018 World Cup to Russia.
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Gary Gerald wrote:Carry knives oh dear I'm so scared!!

STAND YOUR GROUND AND FIGHT
That's all well and good if you're part of a firm and from all accounts I have had England fans have fought their corner VERY well over there.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Could both get chucked out. Bravo! You couldn't wish for such "support"..............
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:Could both get chucked out. Bravo! You couldn't wish for such "support"..............
UEFA hate us but how being attacked is now a reason to chuck someone out is a joke. That said, they've only charged Russia with any wrong doing. Questions have to be asked about French security if they can be letting this happen and also allowing people to smuggle in flare guns into the stadium.

predator
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by predator »

England have the reputation for being the top firm, they all want a shot at the title.
Well and truly won I would say :lol: :lol: :lol:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

predator wrote:
England have the reputation for being the top firm, they all want a shot at the title.
Well and truly won I would say :lol: :lol: :lol:
They stole some flags, is that it? Pretty much shows the people they are picking on.

Anyone can attack lone people and small groups.

Trying to find the picture of the Millwall flag up in the middle of the Russian fans. They still have their flag

predator
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by predator »

Bomber wrote:Could both get chucked out. Bravo! You couldn't wish for such "support"..............
.Questions have to be asked about French security if they can be letting this happen and also allowing people to smuggle in flare guns into the stadium.
They took advantage of poor security much like your mob did a few weeks ago at Wembley, it didn't seem a problem for you then

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

predator wrote:
.Questions have to be asked about French security if they can be letting this happen and also allowing people to smuggle in flare guns into the stadium.
They took advantage of poor security much like your mob did a few weeks ago at Wembley, it didn't seem a problem for you then
Can you show me when "my lot" smuggled in flare guns?

Can you show me when "my lot" picked up small groups of fans whilst the police stood by and watched?

Can you show me when "my lot" where systematically beaten by french riot police, including one video of a man on the ground being attacked by more than 20 police with batons?

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

No one here has any idea whats going on France and who is starting this.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Grosso wrote:No one here has any idea whats going on France and who is starting this.
No, but I'll take the first hand stories from people I know there above the media and their bias.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Grosso wrote:No one here has any idea whats going on France and who is starting this.
No, but I'll take the first hand stories from people I know there above the media and their bias.
My guess is none of these people you refer to there are Russian (or French)
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
My guess is none of these people you refer to there are Russian (or French)
Would be a good guess.