Wlishire Lucky to make England Euro Squad

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Wlishire Lucky to make England Euro Squad

Post by ozzie owl »

Gee barely 160 minutes played this season and walks straight into England Euro squad lucky or not?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Wlishire Lucky to make England Euro Squad

Post by Nice One Cyril »

ozzie owl wrote:Gee barely 160 minutes played this season and walks straight into England Euro squad lucky or not?
Woy loves him and he is a talented player, BUT only if you can keep him fit. Personally, I don't think you should take half fit players to a tournament, so I would have taken Drinkwater.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:Gee barely 160 minutes played this season and walks straight into England Euro squad lucky or not?
Woy loves him and he is a talented player, BUT only if you can keep him fit. Personally, I don't think you should take half fit players to a tournament, so I would have taken Drinkwater.
As well documented I am not an English fan as such but I am glad they are at the Euros just the same (my lot Scotland not good enough to qualify after a decent start in the group). I think that Drinkwater will be drinking vodka after this decision, he must be truly gutted and IMO rightly so. Wilshere I rate highly when fully fit but reputation seems to have been placed over performance and if I was an England supporter this would worry me. Then again Hodgson is a clever cookie so his judgement should count for something. I think England are in a difficult group and goal difference could decide their chances of qualification. Should be a fairly open tournament with Germany and Spain favourites. No outsider really sticks out and though a lot has been said of Belguim I can't see them getting close.
France could go all the way but I don't think they will win it and a rank outsider (Iceland) could cause an upset or two.
If England go for the jugular and attack teams they have a chance of fairing well but if they are dull and play it tight I wouldn't feel confident.
That said this competition throws up surprises (Denmark and Greece for example) so hopefully it will be entertaining and unpredictable.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

thebeautifulgame wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:
As well documented I am not an English fan as such but I am glad they are at the Euros just the same (my lot Scotland not good enough to qualify after a decent start in the group). I think that Drinkwater will be drinking vodka after this decision, he must be truly gutted and IMO rightly so. Wilshere I rate highly when fully fit but reputation seems to have been placed over performance and if I was an England supporter this would worry me. Then again Hodgson is a clever cookie so his judgement should count for something. I think England are in a difficult group and goal difference could decide their chances of qualification. Should be a fairly open tournament with Germany and Spain favourites. No outsider really sticks out and though a lot has been said of Belguim I can't see them getting close.
France could go all the way but I don't think they will win it and a rank outsider (Iceland) could cause an upset or two.
If England go for the jugular and attack teams they have a chance of fairing well but if they are dull and play it tight I wouldn't feel confident.
That said this competition throws up surprises (Denmark and Greece for example) so hopefully it will be entertaining and unpredictable.
Watched the Portugal this morning and to be honest they were pretty poor , struggling to 1-0 win over Portugal , who played with ten men for an hour. The 442 with a diamond didn't work as they created precious little. I have the feeling that Hodgson doesn't know his preferred formation or line up.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

ozzie owl wrote:
thebeautifulgame wrote:As well documented I am not an English fan as such but I am glad they are at the Euros just the same (my lot Scotland not good enough to qualify after a decent start in the group). I think that Drinkwater will be drinking vodka after this decision, he must be truly gutted and IMO rightly so. Wilshere I rate highly when fully fit but reputation seems to have been placed over performance and if I was an England supporter this would worry me. Then again Hodgson is a clever cookie so his judgement should count for something. I think England are in a difficult group and goal difference could decide their chances of qualification. Should be a fairly open tournament with Germany and Spain favourites. No outsider really sticks out and though a lot has been said of Belguim I can't see them getting close.
Watched the Portugal this morning and to be honest they were pretty poor , struggling to 1-0 win over Portugal , who played with ten men for an hour. The 442 with a diamond didn't work as they created precious little. I have the feeling that Hodgson doesn't know his preferred formation or line up.
Unless England want to sit back and play quick, direct football, Vardy is not going to help much. He's not a winger, despite being very quick and he's not really a poacher, he thrives on open space behind a defence and you don't get much of that at International Championships. So, assuming Woy's going to go with a 451 or a 4411 formation, Kane and Rooney or Kane and Alli would be first choice for me (which means one of them will be on the bench), with Lallana, Sterling, Wilshere and Dier in behind them. I don't rate Henderson or Milner at this level but our defence looks pretty solid.

The problem with some international managers is they treat it like Fantasy Football where you pick all the stars and play them out of position, but they still perform brilliantly. That doesn't work in real life, you have to decide how you want to play, then pick the best players for those positions and sometimes a star has to be a bench warmer.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

When it comes to England, Ossie Owl, your opinions are worth a fart in a hurricane. If England won all their games 10 nil, you would still find fault. We've won our last 3 friendlies, beaten the world champions on their own turf & qualified unbeaten for the Euros, yet still your unrelenting diatribe continues. Back to the game, I thought Harry Kane showed real sportsmanship by not making a meal of the flying karate kick by Alves. Deserved a straight red. Perhaps the ref. should have played on, as Kane looked to be through, & then shown the card.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

B.Toomer wrote:When it comes to England, Ossie Owl, your opinions are worth a fart in a hurricane. If England won all their games 10 nil, you would still find fault. We've won our last 3 friendlies, beaten the world champions on their own turf & qualified unbeaten for the Euros, yet still your unrelenting diatribe continues. Back to the game, I thought Harry Kane showed real sportsmanship by not making a meal of the flying karate kick by Alves. Deserved a straight red. Perhaps the ref. should have played on, as Kane looked to be through, & then shown the card.
Great attitude by Kane , pity more professional players don't do the same.

klitschko
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by klitschko »

Great attitude by Kane , pity more professional players don't do the same.
Particularly in the Copa America, jeez if you have seen some of the play acting it's unbelievable, it makes you want to turn the tv off and not watch.

Wilshere isn't fit he shouldn't be going, Woy should favour Dele Alli he's fit and dynamic!

The one and only
Star Player
Star Player

Post by The one and only »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
I would have taken drinkwater or even carrick ahead of him to be honest
I speak nothing but the truth

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

B.Toomer wrote:When it comes to England, Ossie Owl, your opinions are worth a fart in a hurricane. If England won all their games 10 nil, you would still find fault. We've won our last 3 friendlies, beaten the world champions on their own turf & qualified unbeaten for the Euros, yet still your unrelenting diatribe continues. Back to the game, I thought Harry Kane showed real sportsmanship by not making a meal of the flying karate kick by Alves. Deserved a straight red. Perhaps the ref. should have played on, as Kane looked to be through, & then shown the card.
WISE WORDS!!

Wayne Kerr
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Wayne Kerr »

God is an Englishman wrote:
WISE WORDS!!

maybe you should take note!
We got Ova' Here?? #ACCUPAHATERS!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Wayne Kerr wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:
WISE WORDS!!

maybe you should take note!
Why?

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Looks like you were farting in hurricane.

Wayne Kerr
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Wayne Kerr »

ozzie owl wrote:
Looks like you were farting in hurricane.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We got Ova' Here?? #ACCUPAHATERS!