Happy St. Toteringham day.

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Happy St. Toteringham day.

Post by Big Mac »

Just like to wish fellow Gunner fans a happy 21st St. Toteringham day.
Shout out to the Spuds fans, after planting some seeds of doubt
about St. Toteringham day this year, your lot once again failed to let us
down. Long may Porchetta reign.
Some people tell me that we professional players are soccer slaves. Well, if this is slavery, give me a life sentence.
Bobby Charlton

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Happy St. Toteringham day.

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Big Mac wrote:Just like to wish fellow Gunner fans a happy 21st St. Toteringham day.
I'm amazed that, after 21 years, you still can't spell it :lol:

Brains in short supply amongst the Goonies.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Alan Shearer wrote:Like I said last year and the year before that, they’ve got ability but they lack heart and they lack a tough mentality. They’re experts at winning matches when the pressure’s off and the title’s gone.
Sums up everything about the club :wink:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Big Mac »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Just like to wish fellow Gunner fans a happy 21st St. Toteringham day.

Don't really need to know how to spell it....its a bit like X-Mas...its there.... and every year you just know it's just going to happen.
One word I bet you know how to spell.....chokers. :lol:
Some people tell me that we professional players are soccer slaves. Well, if this is slavery, give me a life sentence.
Bobby Charlton

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Big Mac wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

Don't really need to know how to spell it....its a bit like X-Mas...its there.... and every year you just know it's just going to happen.
One word I bet you know how to spell.....chokers. :lol:
I was right about the brains in short supply comment. In order to choke, you have to have something within your grasp, yet fail to keep it. So, with taht in mind, let's go back to January and look at the table then. I seem to remember thinking that Arsenal were home and hosed, but somehow they managed to slip down to fourth, before rising to second when the season was over. Looks like they were the chokers, sitting in the box seat and still shiraz it up. At least Spurs were always chasing.
Alan Shearer wrote:Like I said last year and the year before that, they’ve got ability but they lack heart and they lack a tough mentality. They’re experts at winning matches when the pressure’s off and the title’s gone.
He was talking about Arsenal btw :lol:
Danny Blanchflower

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Won more trophies in one night than the Spuds have in two decades :P

Time for some righteous indignation

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

This sums up arsenal fans really. Celebrating coming 4th and beating Tottenham. Surely they should be asking why the trophy cabinet is so bare rather than lauding finishing above one other club.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

God is an Englishman wrote:This sums up arsenal fans really. Celebrating coming 4th and beating Tottenham. Surely they should be asking why the trophy cabinet is so bare rather than lauding finishing above one other club.
Stitch is one of the plastic Chelsea fans :wink:
Danny Blanchflower

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Big Mac wrote:.............Shout out to the Spuds fans................
As if Arsenal fans have the ability to shout.

They are well considered in libraries at least.
Ignore this signature

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:This sums up arsenal fans really. Celebrating coming 4th and beating Tottenham. Surely they should be asking why the trophy cabinet is so bare rather than lauding finishing above one other club.
:lol:

I went to my first Chelsea game before most of the people on this forum were born.*

* With apologies to Old Master

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Stitch This wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

I went to my first Chelsea game before most of the people on this forum were born.*

he probably played in it.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

No more controversy wrote:
Stitch This wrote:

he probably played in it.

Mod Of Bury
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mod Of Bury »

With those old balls that cause dementia?

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Mod Of Bury wrote:With those old balls that cause dementia?

Thanks for the apologies stitch, I am probably the oldest on this forum, sad to say.

All the other oldies left long ago after getting sick and tired of the abuse from so many of the sad barstewrds, like the one quoted above, that have taken over the forum these days.

Most of them wouldn't know the first thing about Football outside of Adelaide, or played the game at any half way decent level, but claim to know everything there is to know about the game.

Being of an older regime stitch and I have probably been there and done that in the game and seen so much more of the vagaries of Football than these young cowards, who hide behind their avatars, have ever, or will ever, see and learn.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Mod Of Bury
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mod Of Bury »

Old Master wrote:Most of them wouldn't know the first thing about Football outside of Adelaide
I'd know more about the game outside of Adelaide than in Adelaide.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:
Mod Of Bury wrote:With those old balls that cause dementia?

Thanks for the apologies stitch, I am probably the oldest on this forum, sad to say.

All the other oldies left long ago after getting sick and tired of the abuse from so many of the sad barstewrds, like the one quoted above, that have taken over the forum these days.

Most of them wouldn't know the first thing about Football outside of Adelaide, or played the game at any half way decent level, but claim to know everything there is to know about the game.

Being of an older regime stitch and I have probably been there and done that in the game and seen so much more of the vagaries of Football than these young cowards, who hide behind their avatars, have ever, or will ever, see and learn.
He says whilst hiding behind an avatar and a keyboard :lol:

Luckily I know none of this is aimed at me as I know about football outside of Adelaide and I've played the game at a half way decent level and I'm more than happy to meet anyone in person.

The good thing about OM though is he doesn't like to tell everyone how great he was.

I question what this has to do with the arsenal spurs rivalry on league positions though. :?

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Stitch This wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

I miss the old days

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

The kiss of death :lol:
The BBC wrote: Harry Redknapp: Tottenham to win title within four years, says former Spurs boss

Tottenham Hotspur will win the Premier League within the next four years, says former manager Harry Redknapp.

Spurs made the Champions League for the first time during Redknapp's four-year tenure at the club, reaching the quarter-finals in 2011.

The 69-year-old says he would not swap manager Mauricio Pochettino's starting XI for any other side in the division.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39009491

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Of course he wouldn't swap them, he buys and sells!!!

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

Spuds again show how they have no stomach for a fight crashing out of Europe to a team they should have comfortably seen off.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Old Redback wrote:Spuds again show how they have no stomach for a fight crashing out of Europe to a team they should have comfortably seen off.
Pretty poor tackle from Dele Alli gave the ref no choice, but they still dominated the game with ten men.

They certainly won't miss the travelling and the extra games and I'm really not that bothered tbh.
Danny Blanchflower

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

Agree that Delli Ali's tackle was horrible - even more similarities to Paul Scholes!

There is the difference though between our clubs - I would be livid, you're not that bothered.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Old Redback wrote:Agree that Delli Ali's tackle was horrible - even more similarities to Paul Scholes!

There is the difference though between our clubs - I would be livid, you're not that bothered.
If Alli ends up anywhere near as good as Scholes I'll be well happy.

I've seen far too much football to worry about losing in a cup game. I'd have liked to see them win of course, but I'd rather see them qualify for the CL again, even though they stuffed it up this time around. Success these days is all about money and they'll make far more cash with a high finish and another run the CL. Maybe then they'll have the money to find another Sissoko :lol:

Chelsea were a tinpot team, going nowhere until they were bought by a squillionaire, which allowed them to totally bypass the building years, but that's the reality of modern football.
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Old Redback wrote:Spuds again show how they have no stomach for a fight crashing out of Europe to a team they should have comfortably seen off.
Pretty poor tackle from Dele Alli gave the ref no choice, but they still dominated the game with ten men.

They certainly won't miss the travelling and the extra games and I'm really not that bothered tbh.
I was hoping you would go through, would have liked some nice fixture congestion :D

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote:

If you come fifth you may regret it.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Nice One Cyril wrote:

If you come fifth you may regret it.
That's life, you make your choices and will never know what would have happened if you'd chosen differently. They might come first :wink:
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote:
That's life, you make your choices and will never know what would have happened if you'd chosen differently. They might come first :wink:
You made a choice to get knocked out?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
No, but someone made a choice to play an understrength team and/or change formations for the away leg. Being knocked out was simply a function of that decision.
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:
No, but someone made a choice to play an understrength team and/or change formations for the away leg. Being knocked out was simply a function of that decision.
You said you changed formation v Liverpool? You can't use that excuse for every game you lose :lol:
You just have to admit it, your team is just not as good as you and many think it is. On a par with my team, we have good days and bad days.
You lost because you were not good enough - simple!

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
No more controversy wrote:[You made a choice to get knocked out?
You said you changed formation v Liverpool? You can't use that excuse for every game you lose :lol:
You just have to admit it, your team is just not as good as you and many think it is. On a par with my team, we have good days and bad days.
You lost because you were not good enough - simple!
Show me where I've claimed we're so wonderful, I bet you can't find a single post and I've consistently said that our squad isn't deep enough to challenge for much.

As for changing formation, when we get an injury as we had to Rose and Alderweirald, Pochettino's method is to change formation and move senior players out of position. Personally, I'd rather keep the same formation and play a reserve in the injured position as I think it affects less players, but he's the coach, not me. He went back to a 3-5-2 against Genk and they played quite well until Alli's brainfade and even with 10 they dominated the game.
Danny Blanchflower