Optus EPL Deal Details Emerge

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Optus EPL Deal Details Emerge

Post by Stitch This »

Shibasaki Kō wrote:It's like taking candy from a baby.

Could you be creative with my username too?
:lol:
Time for some righteous indignation

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Con M wrote:
Juventino wrote:Huh? Euro 2016 is on BeIN Sports, which will automatically be added to the sports pack in a few weeks. The new BeIN 1,2 and 3 will become 'normal' sports channels. No need for upgrading, applying for licences or anything like that.
Juventino, is that confirmed? Yes for we private subscribers, but do pubs, clubs & corporates get that in their expensive commercial packages?
Do they get every other sport channel, like ESPN and Eurosport? If so, can't see why they wouldn't.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Juventino wrote:
Con M wrote:
Juventino wrote:Huh? Euro 2016 is on BeIN Sports, which will automatically be added to the sports pack in a few weeks. The new BeIN 1,2 and 3 will become 'normal' sports channels. No need for upgrading, applying for licences or anything like that.
Juventino, is that confirmed? Yes for we private subscribers, but do pubs, clubs & corporates get that in their expensive commercial packages?
Do they get every other sport channel, like ESPN and Eurosport? If so, can't see why they wouldn't.
Just as I suspected, Juventino. Clubs & Pubs don't get those channels automatically. For example, The Bath & The Alma in the eastern suburbs today confirmed they can't access those sports channels. The Alma manager said it would cost them a fortune.

More is the pity - for example the Italy v Sweden game on Friday the 17th June is played at 2pm in France, which makes for a comfortable late evening viewing time here in OZ for fans gathering in a pub or club setting.

Same goes for the England v Wales derby match starting at 2pm in France on Thursday the 16th June.

Wunkar Fox
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Wunkar Fox »

That's the way the cookie crumbles.
Random roadkill

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Wunkar Fox wrote:That's the way the cookie crumbles.
Fornicate off, WAANKER!

Wunkar Fox
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Wunkar Fox »

When are you to take the challenge that other forumite threw at you?
Random roadkill

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

Reported details on the pub/club license emerge. Could well be bollocks, though.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Another hidden gem from the new Optus EPL deal. Even if you meet the minimum spend criteria via phone or, tablet, if your internet is with another provider for $5pm you only have the Fetch mini. However unlike Foxtel IQ you cant record matches, you must watch live. Wow yet another step backward from the old Foxtel coverage.

Baseball Bill
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Baseball Bill »

I've had no issues since switching to optus.
Giving always takes its toll

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

Baseball Bill wrote:I've had no issues since switching to optus.
Can you record games as per previous setup?

Kosta Utd
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Kosta Utd »

ozzie owl wrote:Another hidden gem from the new Optus EPL deal. Even if you meet the minimum spend criteria via phone or, tablet, if your internet is with another provider for $5pm you only have the Fetch mini. However unlike Foxtel IQ you cant record matches, you must watch live. Wow yet another step backward from the old Foxtel coverage.

will be interesting to see how many take up subscriptions. if it inst record numbers chances are it will be back at foxtel in couple years

either way, i couldnt get optus cable so signed up with telstra cable, switched phone carries and getting the mini fetch box, no way im missing out on united rise back to the top :)
H _ S T _ K _ buy a vowel?
----------------------------

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

Pie and Bovril wrote:
I believe all games will be available On Demand through all their services once the game has finished, so there will be no need to record it.

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

Agree, had my doubts but coverage is very good. Watching ICC now and no issues. Liverpoo v Chelski in a couple of hours also to watch
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

pernunz wrote:
Pie and Bovril wrote:
I believe all games will be available On Demand through all their services once the game has finished, so there will be no need to record it.
Went on this morning no overnight games on demand yet , me thinks the Fetch mini could be sent back soon.

Abenomics
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Abenomics »

Once the game is finished isn't much use say if you get home ten minutes after kickoff and you want to watch the first half immediately so you can watch the second half live.
I love commercial whaling

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Abenomics wrote:Once the game is finished isn't much use say if you get home ten minutes after kickoff and you want to watch the first half immediately so you can watch the second half live.
Miles behind Foxtel IQ/ IQ2 coverage , this deal was all about growing OPTUS share of smobile, tablet and Internet market.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Abenomics wrote:Once the game is finished isn't much use say if you get home ten minutes after kickoff and you want to watch the first half immediately so you can watch the second half live.
You can either watch it live, or from the beginning, it offers you the choice doesn't it? I didn't pay that much attention last night, but I thought it did.

As for the coverage, it's the same. Surely they'll all take their pictures from the Sky feed?
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Abenomics
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Abenomics »

I didn't watch it at all.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
You can either watch it live, or from the beginning, it offers you the choice doesn't it? I didn't pay that much attention last night, but I thought it did.

As for the coverage, it's the same. Surely they'll all take their pictures from the Sky feed?
With a fetch mini can only see live. If you want to hsve record option have to switch Internet to OPTUS, what a joke.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

ozzie owl wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

With a fetch mini can only see live. If you want to hsve record option have to switch Internet to OPTUS, what a joke.
Yeah, that's a joke. Optus pay all the money for the rights, then want you to sign up to watch the product.

Sounds just like Foxtel to me.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Fugn hell! Finished work late, dropped in to The Bath, no access for Optus to see ManU v Bournemouth Cherries. Rang The Alma, same deal. Rosemont same.

Fugn pokies barons, probably making $3,000-$5,000 per week on a single machine, yet won't pay for the EPL. Fugn baasterds.
Cue God Isn't An Englishman or that wonderful Moderator Randoman to defend the barons.

ps, any forumite know if I can get a refund on my Foxytel contract? Did they mislead me?
Last edited by Con M on Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abenomics
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Abenomics »

Con M wrote:ps, any forumite know if I can get a refund on my Foxytel contract? Did they mislead me?
They've been deregistered.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Con M wrote:Fugn hell! Finished work late, dropped in to The Bath, no access for Optus to see ManU v Bournemouth Cherries. Rang The Alma, same deal. Rosemont same.

Fugn pokies barons, probably making $3,000-$5,000 per week on a single machine, yet won't pay for the EPL. Fugn baasterds.
Cue God Isn't An Englishman or that wonderful Moderator Randoman to defend the barons.

ps, any forumite know if I can get a refund on my Foxytel contract? Did they mislead me?
Just cancel it and take out Optus, like everyone elese has.
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Con M wrote:Fugn hell! Finished work late, dropped in to The Bath, no access for Optus to see ManU v Bournemouth Cherries. Rang The Alma, same deal. Rosemont same.

Having discussed this with my friend who owns an eastern suburbs pub, he told me that the Optus costs were astronomical and he wouldn't even get close to earning his money back from showing games.

As for getting a refund on your contract, how long was your contract for because you've know for quite a while now that they're not showing it. I rang up and said that without the premier league I wasn't interested anymore (didn't mention the England rugby and cricket that I was interested in) and they halved the price of it all.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Nice One Cyril wrote:

Everyone? Yeah, Not Nice, I've gotta organize something, but the Missus clinging to Mr Murdoch's Fox re-runs. And our freeTV comes through Mr Fox's cable so dunno how this Octopus thingo is gonna work.. Can I just ditch my out-of-contract Telstra mobile, get an Optus one and hey presto problemo solved?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Con M wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

Everyone? Yeah, Not Nice, I've gotta organize something, but the Missus clinging to Mr Murdoch's Fox re-runs. And our freeTV comes through Mr Fox's cable so dunno how this Octopus thingo is gonna work.. Can I just ditch my out-of-contract Telstra mobile, get an Optus one and hey presto problemo solved?
You can move your mobile to Optus and then get EPL included for either nothing or next to nothing, then just stream it through your PC or phone to your TV using an HDMI converter cable and a male to male HDMI cable, or if you've got a Smart TV you can do it wirelessly.
Danny Blanchflower

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

God is an Englishman wrote:

Having discussed this with my friend who owns an eastern suburbs pub, he told me that the Optus costs were astronomical and he wouldn't even get close to earning his money back from showing games.

As for getting a refund on your contract, how long was your contract for because you've know for quite a while now that they're not showing it. I rang up and said that without the premier league I wasn't interested anymore (didn't mention the England rugby and cricket that I was interested in) and they halved the price of it all.
Yeah, GIsn'tAE, I have known for quite a while, but have been quite busy with 6-day working weeks. Optus have a bewildering range of options and our freeTV comes through Mr Fox's cable.

As for those pubs, they bleated at the cost of the beIN Channels to show Euro 2016 and I heard that only cost a few hundred. Those early round Euro games were on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays at 10.30pm and they would have drawn customers at that hour on those nights.

Now you're defending them too about Optus for the EPL. Some pokie rooms stay open 'til 5am and ya hear stories of some single machines making $3,000-$5,000 per week. If even a bit of that is true then they CAN afford it. I bet if it was AFL games on Optus they wouldn't hesitate.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Con M wrote:Yeah, GIsn'tAE, I have known for quite a while, but have been quite busy with 6-day working weeks. Optus have a bewildering range of options and our freeTV comes through Mr Fox's cable.

As for those pubs, they bleated at the cost of the beIN Channels to show Euro 2016 and I heard that only cost a few hundred. Those early round Euro games were on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays at 10.30pm and they would have drawn customers at that hour on those nights.

Now you're defending them too about Optus for the EPL. Some pokie rooms stay open 'til 5am and ya hear stories of some single machines making $3,000-$5,000 per week. If even a bit of that is true then they CAN afford it. I bet if it was AFL games on Optus they wouldn't hesitate.
They'd make more money off showing afl as well. Supply and demand.

You could always go out and get the games at home rather than expecting someone to do it for you.

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

Was the transmission of the games ok?

There has been a bit in the media about it being pretty bad.
It's all in the Delivery!

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Why get rid of Fox when there's so much quality content this season (and thanks to adding more BeIN channels, more live games)?