Armfield at 80: Huge names to attend birthday tribute dinner

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

William Watt william.watt@blackpoolgazette.co.uk 14:15Monday 21 September 2015

Some of football’s biggest names are expected to attend a dinner to commemorate Jimmy Armfield’s 80th birthday next month.

On Thursday October 22 at Blackpool Tower a dinner will be held in tribute to one of the town’s favourite son’s.

As many as 500 people are expected to attend, with England and Manchester United legend Sir Bobby Charlton hoping to lead the guest list on the evening. The event is being organised by life-long Pool fan Chris Hull, son of seaside favourite Chris Snr who passed away earlier this year.

“The evening is more than just celebrating Jimmy the ‘football man’, he’s also a respected broadcaster, football official, PFA representative and a loyal one club man,” said Hull.

“Jimmy is one of the greatest servants to our town and to football.

“I am honoured he has accepted this invitation to be with us and his family and friends.

“We simply couldn’t allow this wonderful 80th birthday of our friend to go by without showing him that he is still respected and loved by the town he has served as much as ever.

“As Blackpool fans, we are rightly so proud that Jimmy commands respect around the world and that he talks so glowingly of his love for the town of Blackpool everywhere he goes.

“Have we ever had a greater ambassador for the town?

“Will we ever have one like him again? Already, I think we probably have the answer to those questions. So it is our privilege to celebrate and cherish Jim in the presence of his wonderful wife and lifelong support, Anne, and his family.”

Tickets for the evening cost £35 or £350 a table, for more information contact Chris Hull chris.hull@sogb.org.uk

I received an invitation to this fantastic event but, unfortunately, had to decline due to my health problems.
Jimmy is one of my God Fathers and I used to visit him regularly as a child and have kept in contact with him since I immigrated to Australia 41 years ago. OM
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details