Brian Clough

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Brian Clough

Post by God is an Englishman »

Probably the greatest football manager ever died 11 years ago today

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: Brian Clough

Post by MegaBonus »

I can think of 2 better British ones let alone global ones...if you want to use 'success' as a criteria...
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote:I can think of 2 better British ones let alone global ones...if you want to use 'success' as a criteria...
I assume they won their trophies with big clubs. 2 European cups in a row is rarely done, let alone with a side like forest.

Won the league with forest and derby.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

don't get me wrong.....great coach and even better character...but if youre judging coaches on anything other than measurable achievements...its just an opinion

they might have been 'small' clubs but it didn't stop him from smashing the transfer record on 2 occasions to bring in players as well as trying to lure Moore and Brooking

happy to agree that he's the best English coach not to take charge of the national team..
I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one.
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote:don't get me wrong.....great coach and even better character...but if youre judging coaches on anything other than measurable achievements...its just an opinion

they might have been 'small' clubs but it didn't stop him from smashing the transfer record on 2 occasions to bring in players as well as trying to lure Moore and Brooking

happy to agree that he's the best English coach not to take charge of the national team..
I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one.

That's why football's so great, it's all opinions.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Cloughie was a great manager but a lousy coach - his idea of coaching was out of date even then - he was just lucky to have two groups of players who would die for him.

He met his match at Leeds as the players refused to buy into his tactical rubbish after Don Revie's brilliance.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

The Damned Utd was about Clough and Revie, brilliant film. I think there is one out soon about Forest's European cups too