EPL Season 2015-16

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: EPL Season 2015-16

Post by Juventino »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Bomber wrote:Put simply, wow Leicester. Genuine title threats now.
Don't tell the tiki taka, keep possession at all costs brigade this, but Leicester have only had the majority of possession twice in their 24 matches this year, yet miraculously they're top of the league and have only lost twice. How can this be?
Ranieri just lets them go out and do what they know.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Leicester leave it late to win and go five clear, can they really win the EPL ?
Last edited by ozzie owl on Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ronnie Chiggs
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Ronnie Chiggs »

ozzie owl wrote:Leicester leave it to go five clear, can they really win the EPL ?
Leave what?
No-one is innocent

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

I would certainly love to see a club like Leicester win the EPL, what a triumph that would be for all the smaller clubs in the EPL and Championship.

Or ''Lie-cester'' as the Ch9 Newsreader, nee Weather man, called them the other night on the 6.00PM News! :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

Leicester opened the door this morning with their result... hate to say it but Spurs could be top by this time tomorrow :oops:

Long way to go yet with many a twist, god Arsenal could still win it 8)
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

haywood djablowme wrote:Leicester opened the door this morning with their result... hate to say it but Spurs could be top by this time tomorrow :oops:

Long way to go yet with many a twist, god Arsenal could still win it 8)
Obviously I sincerely hope not, but there's still 30 odd points to play for so any talk of titles is definitely premature for anyone.

I do think Leicester struggle more against teams that don't attack them and I wonder if the pressure will get to them. The game on Saturday looms large, but I don't think it will be the decider by any means.

Hopefully in the morning, Liverpool will beat City, Spurs will beat West Ham and Swansea suddenly run into some form with Gylfi scoring a free kick winner in the 93rd minute :wink:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

The yids are favourites now, its theirs to lose. Must be shitting themselves being so close, have they got the bottle??

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

N5 1BH wrote:The yids are favourites now, its theirs to lose. Must be shitting themselves being so close, have they got the bottle??
Never mind them, I'm going to have no fingers left by the end of the season :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Keeps getting better - for Leicester at least!
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Looking at the top 4, can't they all lose.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Bomber wrote:Keeps getting better - for Leicester at least!
As it turned out, not a bad point they got. :lol:
Danny Blanchflower

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Bomber wrote:Keeps getting better - for Leicester at least!
As it turned out, not a bad point they got. :lol:
Everyone thought they'd be the chokers. Mind you, given some time to go, they could still be gasping for breath yet. :wink:
Ignore this signature

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

I'm still laughing at Spurs - on Wednesday all the talk was about how 'now is their time' and they would be top and then they met the Hammers. Spurs are getting nervy as well?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Old Redback wrote:I'm still laughing at Spurs - on Wednesday all the talk was about how 'now is their time' and they would be top and then they met the Hammers. Spurs are getting nervy as well?
:lol: Getting cocky now you've made it into the top half of the table? :wink:

West Ham at home are a decent side these days and Spurs looked a bit tired tbh, they had lots of possession, but no real energy to do anything with it.

I reckon all the top teams will be nervous, the pressure is starting to build. It's the time of year when injuries and squad size really starts to have an effect.
Danny Blanchflower

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

NOC, do you have a go at Dortmund in the Europa or sacrifice for the league??

Draw is kind around this leg but next one would be penciled away at Anfield and home to Utd.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

The Kop wrote:NOC, do you have a go at Dortmund in the Europa or sacrifice for the league??

Draw is kind around this leg but next one would be penciled away at Anfield and home to Utd.
Personally I've always thought that you should play your best available team, based on form, in every game and que sera, sera.

But pragmatism would suggest that you concentrate on the once in my lifetime (I was too young to remember the last one) opportunity to win the PL, as that offers the greatest prize. I think he might play a full team in the first leg, hope for something to defend, then send a weaker team out for the return.
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Said it before an will say it again.

Any team that puts out a weakened team and loses should be punished. It's akin to match fixing

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

God is an Englishman wrote:Said it before an will say it again.

Any team that puts out a weakened team and loses should be punished. It's akin to match fixing
Dumb idea, I thought you'd be brighter than that, or you've been out on a Friday lunch.

How would you determine which players constitute a weakened team? Who could judge that objectively? What would be the point in having a squad? Why only if they lose? If it was a punishable offence, the outcome would be irrelevant, a bit like a two footed tackle but only getting a red card if you break someone's leg.
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Nice One Cyril wrote:

Dumb idea, I thought you'd be brighter than that, or you've been out on a Friday lunch.

How would you determine which players constitute a weakened team? Who could judge that objectively? What would be the point in having a squad? Why only if they lose? If it was a punishable offence, the outcome would be irrelevant, a bit like a two footed tackle but only getting a red card if you break someone's leg.

Because if they win the game then you can't argue that they put out a weakened side as the side was good enough to win.

A weakened side could be determined by the number of unforced changes from one week to the next.

This rule used to be in place in the past, it should return.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -Villa.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 521603.stm

http://backpagefootball.com/the-premier ... ule/21639/

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

Because if they win the game then you can't argue that they put out a weakened side as the side was good enough to win.

A weakened side could be determined by the number of unforced changes from one week to the next.

This rule used to be in place in the past, it should return.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -Villa.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 521603.stm

http://backpagefootball.com/the-premier ... ule/21639/
Oh yeah, love to see the arguments about unforced changes, now the Premier League has to police injuries, tiredness, illness, mental wellbeing. Unworkable.

We used to burn witches in the past, maybe that should return too? Dumb and unenforceable laws tend to fall by the wayside.
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Nice One Cyril wrote:Oh yeah, love to see the arguments about unforced changes, now the Premier League has to police injuries, tiredness, illness, mental wellbeing. Unworkable.

We used to burn witches in the past, maybe that should return too? Dumb and unenforceable laws tend to fall by the wayside.
The issue isn't with burning witches, it's with the burning of people who aren't witches.

How is it unworkable? How did they manage it in the past?

The fans pay their money to watch the best team not a side going out to deliberately lose.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Nice One Cyril wrote:Oh yeah, love to see the arguments about unforced changes, now the Premier League has to police injuries, tiredness, illness, mental wellbeing. Unworkable.

The issue isn't with burning witches, it's with the burning of people who aren't witches.

The fans pay their money to watch the best team not a side going out to deliberately lose.
In the past, the PL made subjective judgements which were widely ridiculed, it's why they stopped it, because it was unworkable.

As for deliberately losing, now you're trying to move the goalposts. Are you trying to tell me that the 18th best (on whatever metric you choose) player goes out to lose deliberately, or that the manager sets out to lose? Don't be daft, you're sounding like JD. Shoot Goal Hawkesy!

I've already stated my opinion and I wouldn't object to squads being made smaller and having a secondary fill-in squad. Say 18 main squad and 7 fill-ins to keep the 25 we have now, but make it that you can't play more than a couple of the fill-ins without justification. Not sure how workable that would be, but I wouldn't mind giving it a go.
Danny Blanchflower

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Worked for Newton Heath during the week.
Time for some righteous indignation

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Nice One Cyril wrote:

In the past, the PL made subjective judgements which were widely ridiculed, it's why they stopped it, because it was unworkable.

As for deliberately losing, now you're trying to move the goalposts. Are you trying to tell me that the 18th best (on whatever metric you choose) player goes out to lose deliberately, or that the manager sets out to lose? Don't be daft, you're sounding like JD. Shoot Goal Hawkesy!

I've already stated my opinion and I wouldn't object to squads being made smaller and having a secondary fill-in squad. Say 18 main squad and 7 fill-ins to keep the 25 we have now, but make it that you can't play more than a couple of the fill-ins without justification. Not sure how workable that would be, but I wouldn't mind giving it a go.
If you don't put out your strongest team then you are not caring if you win or lose. The players would hopefully want to win but the club don't care if they win or lose.

How is that different to "tanking" in the afl? Tanking is match fixing

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

God is an Englishman wrote:If you don't put out your strongest team then you are not caring if you win or lose. The players would hopefully want to win but the club don't care if they win or lose.

Finally got to a coherent argument :lol:

There's always opinions about what constitutes the strongest team. Maybe they should just pick the first eleven available based on the Football Manager ratings, but what would be the point of a real manager?

PS. If they fined clubs for putting out a crap team, Millwall would cop a fine every week.
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Nice One Cyril wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:If you don't put out your strongest team then you are not caring if you win or lose. The players would hopefully want to win but the club don't care if they win or lose.

Finally got to a coherent argument :lol:

There's always opinions about what constitutes the strongest team. Maybe they should just pick the first eleven available based on the Football Manager ratings, but what would be the point of a real manager?

PS. If they fined clubs for putting out a crap team, Millwall would cop a fine every week.
No, because we'd put up the best players available. As long as we win, we'd be fine anyway. We've won a few this season

maxin in the shade
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by maxin in the shade »

what an absolute joke of a statement

so then the idea of squad rotation to give some of your better players a rest will result in punishment if you lose the game?

makes no sense at all

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

maxin in the shade wrote:

so then the idea of squad rotation to give some of your better players a rest will result in punishment if you lose the game?

makes no sense at all
Don't put out a team not capable of winning then. I wonder how much the bookies can make of it

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

maxin in the shade wrote:

makes no sense at all
Don't put out a team not capable of winning then. I wonder how much the bookies can make of it
Aston Villa have been doing that all season and nobody has suggested they be punished :wink:

Who decides which players are capable? How long is a piece of string and what does it have to do with the price of fish?
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Aston villa are not deliberately putting out a weak side