England should they be chasing Grealish?

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

England should they be chasing Grealish?

Post by ozzie owl »

Jack Grealish who is yet to commit to Ireland at senior level and eligible for England, surely Hodgson & Co , should be moving quickly for him. I was very impressed with his performance last night in the FA Cup Semi Final. The commentators were certainly glowing in their praise for him on how he has developed this season.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Re: England should they be chasing Grealish?

Post by N5 1BH »

England shouldn't chase anyone, FIFA are dickheads. He’s English born and bred same as his parents, been at Villa since he was 6, even his grandfather I think it was, played for Villa & England. Just like Giggs and plenty others before him if he hasn’t got the bottle to push to represent his own country he can fuck off to whatever country he has a grandparent from and remain irrelevant. Bet he would never actually live there though.

PDog
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PDog »

tell us what you really think

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

PDog wrote:tell us what you really think
Okay here you go
N5 1BH wrote:England shouldn't chase anyone, FIFA are dickheads. He’s English born and bred same as his parents, been at Villa since he was 6, even his grandfather I think it was, played for Villa & England. Just like Giggs and plenty others before him if he hasn’t got the bottle to push to represent his own country he can fuck off to whatever country he has a grandparent from and remain irrelevant. Bet he would never actually live there though.

PDog
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PDog »

thanks

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

N5 1BH wrote:England shouldn't chase anyone, FIFA are dickheads. He’s English born and bred same as his parents, been at Villa since he was 6, even his grandfather I think it was, played for Villa & England. Just like Giggs and plenty others before him if he hasn’t got the bottle to push to represent his own country he can fuck off to whatever country he has a grandparent from and remain irrelevant. Bet he would never actually live there though.
Completely agree, well not completely but the gist of it.

Higgs was born to welsh parents in Wales, as such he was never eligible for England.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

God is an Englishman wrote:

Higgs was born to welsh parents in Wales, as such he was never eligible for England.
Higgs , who did he play for?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ozzie owl wrote:

Cheltenham Town

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

ozzie owl wrote:

Cheltenham Town
How many times did he play for Wales? Also, since when has Oxford been in Wales?
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Didn't he captain England schoolboys ?

Giggs not Higgs

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

N5 1BH wrote:

Didn't he captain England schoolboys ?

Giggs not Higgs
Yes, because he went to school on England, but this doesn't make him eligible for England selection.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Seeing as how I don't really get the logic I'm guessing this is some kind of 'home countries' deal.

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

England schoolboys is for lads in English schools regardless of nationality and which country they would be eligible for by birth or citizenship or descent etc...
The England teams, junior and senior are made up of players that meet the current criteria we are mostly familiar with as mentioned above.
Personally I think the schoolboys system is better than the way senior teams are assembled purely for the lack of ambiguity involved.
i.e. you can only go to school on one country, and not pick and choose Ireland or Wales or Scotland if you don't make the team and Grandad was a Taff or a Jock. This is the reason I personally believe national team eligibility should be purely based on country of birth. You can't be born in two countries. No chance of picking and choosing at all.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Ernie Cooksey wrote:England schoolboys is for lads in English schools regardless of nationality and which country they would be eligible for by birth or citizenship or descent etc...
The England teams, junior and senior are made up of players that meet the current criteria we are mostly familiar with as mentioned above.
Personally I think the schoolboys system is better than the way senior teams are assembled purely for the lack of ambiguity involved.
i.e. you can only go to school on one country, and not pick and choose Ireland or Wales or Scotland if you don't make the team and Grandad was a Taff or a Jock. This is the reason I personally believe national team eligibility should be purely based on country of birth. You can't be born in two countries. No chance of picking and choosing at all.
Disagree on your final point but we've argued it to death

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

Ernie Cooksey wrote:England schoolboys is for lads in English schools regardless of nationality and which country they would be eligible for by birth or citizenship or descent etc...
Something about cats and kennels wasn't it? :D

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

I disagree too, place of birth as a qualifier is redundant in an age when millions work and travel abroad and you can be anywhere in the world within a day. Think about the EU, thousands of EU kids born in UK and their families since moved back home and vice versa. To qualify for any country you must put in and have lived there a certain period, say minimum 5 years. Makes it simple then.

Still don’t see how Giggs doesn’t qualify, lived in the country permanently since a toddler. To me he’s a Manc same as any other Manc.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Interesting view of the crazy FIFA player eligibility criteria.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/articl ... eland.html

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

N5 1BH wrote:
I disagree too, place of birth as a qualifier is redundant in an age when millions work and travel abroad and you can be anywhere in the world within a day. Think about the EU, thousands of EU kids born in UK and their families since moved back home and vice versa. To qualify for any country you must put in and have lived there a certain period, say minimum 5 years. Makes it simple then.

Still don’t see how Giggs doesn’t qualify, lived in the country permanently since a toddler. To me he’s a Manc same as any other Manc.
You are only ever the nationality you are born with.

The home countries have an agreement to not use the residency eligibility against each other

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

The home countries have an agreement to not use the residency eligibility against each other
Against each other? Let me get this straight, Northern Ireland agreed to not select from the, let me see… fuck all English eligible kids resident there. Likewise Wales & Scotland. In return we agreed to not select from the thousands of their eligible kids who have moved to England, integrated into our communities, play in our system and use our resources.

Well we really screwed them there didn't we

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Might have to chase him, given so many of the current England squad are facing a season of struggle to get game time. The increasing spending power of the EPL sides is going to make it tough and some England squad players may have to leave top four sides to get game time.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Grealish has chosen England over Ireland.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/34382195

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

he actually isn't very good at all.

Another over hyped player who has had a few good games.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

New name required wrote:he actually isn't very good at all.

Another over hyped player who has had a few good games.
So he's on your shopping list then

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

haha

he is at our level now...we are also not very good. Two poor teams made it a good game on Staurday

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ozzie owl wrote:Interesting view of the crazy FIFA player eligibility criteria.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/articl ... eland.html
Don't see how in this case it's a crazy rule. The residency rule is the crazy part. Grealish was eligible for both countries at birth. He has irish blood, he has English blood. He has irish grandparents? and therefore by default an Irish mother

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Tony Cascarino

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

N5 1BH wrote:Tony Cascarino
Ireland's shame that one, complete cover up.