Anti-Semitic chanting before West Ham match probed

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Anti-discrimination group Kick It Out has contacted police over the footage

Video footage has emerged of a group of men, thought to be West Ham fans, chanting anti-Semitic abuse on a train in north London.

Anti-discrimination group Kick It Out has contacted police over the footage, filmed on Sunday.

The video appeared on social media showing fans on the way to the 2-2 draw with Tottenham at White Hart Lane.

West Ham said it had a "zero-tolerance policy" and perpetrators could be banned from the club's ground for life.

It had warned fans before the match that "any form of discriminatory behaviour" would not be tolerated.

Most Spurs fans are not Jewish but the club has a historical association with London's Jewish community.

The latest controversy comes after Chelsea supporters were filmed pushing a black man from a train on the Paris Metro last week.
'Wholly unacceptable'

Police are also investigating racist chanting at St Pancras station by men thought to be Chelsea fans returning from the Champions League match in Paris.

The latest footage was uploaded to Twitter by Spurs fan @RomanGeezer, who tweeted: "On the train on the way to the game, West Ham fans break into song in Stamford Hill, a Jewish area, scum."

A British Transport Police spokesman said: "We are encouraged the public has the confidence to report incidents of inappropriate and offensive football-related behaviour to us.

"We take these incidents very seriously, and it is clear what happened on the Paris Metro and at St Pancras the following night were not isolated events."

A West Ham spokesman said: "If any individual is found to have behaved in an inappropriate way, the club's simple, zero-tolerance policy dictates that they will face the strongest possible action, including the option of a life ban from the Boleyn Ground."

Tottenham said it hoped those involved would be identified and dealt with seriously.

A spokesman for the club said: "Anti-Semitism in any form is wholly unacceptable and we support all efforts to kick it out of the game.

"We hope that those individuals responsible for this vile behaviour are identified and dealt with in the strongest way possible."
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: Anti-Semitic chanting before West Ham match probed

Post by Old Master »

Kevin Kilbane complains over West Ham chant

Kevin Kilbane has made a complaint to the Football Association over an alleged chant by West Ham fans mocking disabled people.

The ex-Republic of Ireland winger has received abusive messages on social media since his complaint was revealed.

Hammers fans sang the chant during the 2-2 draw at Tottenham on Sunday.

BBC football pundit Kilbane was not at the game himself but heard about the chanting from a friend.

The word used in the chant is a derogatory one against people with Down's Syndrome.

Kilbane's youngest daughter, Elsie, has the condition, and the former Preston, West Brom, Sunderland, Everton, Wigan, Hull City and Coventry City player is a patron of the Down's Syndrome Association charity.

"I rang the FA to share my concerns with them over the chants which were directed towards Harry Kane.

"Up until the seventies, people with Down's Syndrome weren't accepted within society and were locked away in institutions and not given any sort of rights whatsoever. I felt compelled as a father to speak to the FA - and there were a number of other complaints submitted too," he told Radio 5 live.

In another incident involving Sunday's game, video footage has emerged of a group of men, thought to be West Ham fans, chanting anti-Semitic abuse on a train in north London.

Anti-discrimination group Kick It Out has contacted police over the footage on the way to the game at White Hart Lane.

It's a worrying sign that London clubs, in particular, are returning to old habits.
The sad thing is that they are targeting groups that have done nothing to deserve this abuse. OM

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

I agree no place for this in football grounds problem it is usually the ordinary fan who suffer when the punishment is games with no fans allowed.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

ozzie owl wrote:I agree no place for this in football grounds problem it is usually the ordinary fan who suffer when the punishment is games with no fans allowed.

I hope these new "supporters" are not being funded by Right Wing Neo-Nazi groups like the old violent groups were found to be.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Kevin kilbane offended by something he didn't even hear

How was what the scum fans were chanting even anti Semitic?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:I agree no place for this in football grounds problem it is usually the ordinary fan who suffer when the punishment is games with no fans allowed.

I hope these new "supporters" are not being funded by Right Wing Neo-Nazi groups like the old violent groups were found to be.

What groups were funded by Neo nazis?

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Old Master wrote:

What groups were funded by Neo nazis?

The majority of the 'Skinhead' gangs, particularly in the London area and in other major cities.

The reports were in all the major news media outlets when it was uncovered and the cutting off of funding was a major factor in reducing violence in and around Football grounds.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Are you talking the football groups here or just generally. If generally Then you're right, if football you're wrong.

If football, what clubs firms were funded by neo nazis (especially seeing as you're saying London specifically?

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

So now it's anti-Semitic (sp?) if they say someone has downs syndrome?

Are downs people a specific race now?
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Black_Panther wrote:So now it's anti-Semitic (sp?) if they say someone has downs syndrome?

They were separate incidents.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Black_Panther wrote:So now it's anti-Semitic (sp?) if they say someone has downs syndrome?

Never let the truth get in the way of a racial comment, eh Black Panther?

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Old Master wrote:

Never let the truth get in the way of a racial comment, eh Black Panther?
Well you titled the thread being about anti-Semitic chanting so my apologies for misinterpreting your well researched and title discussion thread.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Well they are just examples of the crazy world we are in where everyone pretends to be offended more.

Chelsea, west ham and Millwall all falling foul of the media jumping on a bandwagon recently.

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Stich This »

God is an Englishman wrote:Kevin kilbane offended by something he didn't even hear

How was what the scum fans were chanting even anti Semitic?
Making fun of Downs Syndrome sufferers is as low as one can get , but not anti-semetic.

On the other hand, why are the Jews always treated special by authorities.
They always have this catch-all anti-semitic card up there sleeve when someone tries to
question them and their influence.
Is there a law against anti- Muslim or anti- other religions ?
Genuine question.