$10 billion TV deal for EPL

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

$10 billion TV deal for EPL

Post by ozzie owl »

$10 billion dollar deal for EPL,under the terms of the new agreement, the two companies will hold all the rights to live Premier League football for three seasons - starting from 2016-2017.

Sky has won the rights to five of the seven packages available, giving it access to 126 matches, which includes the introduction of live Friday evening football.

That is for UK rights only.

Cloister
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: $10 billion TV deal for EPL

Post by Cloister »

So who will you be supporting in this period?
How ironic is my avatar?

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Cloister wrote:So who will you be supporting in this period?
chablis
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sky Plc and BT Group Plc agreed to pay a record 5.14 billion pounds ($US7.84 billion) for the U.K. rights to broadcast live English Premier League soccer, an increase of about 70 per cent for what is already one of sport's richest championships.

Sky will show 126 games each season starting in 2016, with BT getting 42 matches. The auction total compares to the 3 billion pounds paid for the previous three-year package and at least some of the increased costs will be passed on ultimately to British viewers, who already pay some of the highest prices to watch soccer.

The rivalry for sports rights has intensified -- and the price paid rocketed -- as live games have become a proven way to attract large numbers of subscribers and lucrative advertising deals. Sky, 39 per cent owned by Rupert Murdoch's 21st Century Fox Inc., has used the lure of Premier League with teams including Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal to become Britain's biggest pay-TV provider. The broadcaster was thought to be facing more competition this time after Discovery Communications Inc. expressed an interest.

"They have preserved the status quo by maintaining their market position, but it's a hefty cost because it was above market consensus," Erhan Gurses, an analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence, said by phone from London.

The Premier League is broadcast in 212 territories worldwide and it claims an audience of 4.7 billion, making it the most-watched soccer league. Sky said it's paying 1.39 billion pounds a year for the rights, while BT said it's paying 320 million pounds a season.

The sale of 168 games a season over three years was divided into seven packages, with no buyer allowed more than 126 matches. BT Group Plc, which surprised competitors in 2012 by winning a quarter of the rights in that year's auction, will keep a similar share this time around.

Sky said the price is 330 million pounds more per year than analysts had forecast and that it will try to minimize passing on the higher costs to consumers by making cost savings through efficiency plans.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Will this deal see a shift back in power towards the big EPL sides who will no doubt splash the cash on big name signings?

Sadly not enough will be fed through the English football pyramid or to grass roots football.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Las Liga boss believes that the new deal will be bad for La Liga as EPL sides will have the finances to buy the best from Spain.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Only 2 million pounds for winning the FA Cup yet the relegated sides get a 99 million pounds parachute payment. :roll:

Seems a little bit unfair to me, isn't WINNING supposed to be what it's all about? :?
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Napoli
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Napoli »

Only the top 4-5 teams will be able to attract the top players. Champions League Football will still count for a lot - you wont be seeing a top quality player going to a team who have no chance of CL qualification. Bad news for the English National team - no way will youngsters get a go now

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Premier League TV deal is "killing" lower league clubs, warns Accrington Stanley chief

22:30, 14 February 2015 By Richard Edwards

The chairman of League Two side made famous by milk marketing board advert in 1980s believes lower league clubs are being milked themselves

Decisions: Sky Sports remained in control of the top-flight

Jordan Ibe looks to have the brightest of futures on the Mersey – but the production line that once developed the English talent of the future could soon run dry.

Premier League stars are already rubbing their hands at the prospect of taking their slice of the 70 per cent hike in the £5.1billion TV bounty announced last week.

But for clubs like Wycombe – whose now defunct academy developed Ibe’s precocious talents – and fellow League Two side Accrington Stanley, the talk is of budgets not billions.

Ibe left Adams Park for Liverpool in a deal worth £500,000 in December 2011.

But Stanley chairman Peter Marsden warns that the days of lower league clubs receiving those kind of funds from the mega-rich elite could be at an end.

Peter Marsden of Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley, who are they? Peter Marsden fears for future of lower league clubs

“This new TV deal is killing the game, it’s killing clubs like us,” he tells Sunday Mirror Sport.

“It’s just concentrating more money in the hands of a few individuals. The rich are getting richer, the poor are getting poorer and no one seems to care.

“From our club, years ago, if you got a really good young player you could sell them on to a Premier League club. Now you’re lucky if you can sell a player to a club in League One. Those happy days when you thought you could sell someone for £1m or £2m are over.”

Like Wycombe, Yeovil Town and Crawley of League One have also shut their academies as financial reality bites.

And while the Premier League toasts its new £5.1bn deal with BT and Sky, there are precious few glasses being raised to the future in the bottom two tiers of the Football League.

In the January transfer window, only two players – Matt Grimes and Dele Alli – were snapped up by Premier League clubs from League One and League Two.

Grimes arrived at Swansea from Exeter, while Spurs-bound Alli was at MK Dons. With those kind of numbers, it’s little wonder that Marsden sees more and more Football League academies closing down.

“We have a discussion every year and it’s always a knife-edge decision for us to keep it open,” says Marsden. “You’re almost keeping your academies open as an altruistic thing to do rather than a way of generating money. More and more clubs will close their academies I’ve no doubt about that.”

Yeovil chairman John Fry, meanwhile, thinks that the success and size of the Premier League is merely papering over the huge cracks that are emerging lower down.

“It’s good to have a league that’s big and the best in the world,” he says.“But when you look at the rest of it you really have to wonder if the lower league is going to survive.

“I don’t know whether it will happen before the next TV deal is negotiated but there will a lot of clubs naturally falling down the line. There are a lot of clubs in the departure lounge.”

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Napoli wrote:Only the top 4-5 teams will be able to attract the top players. Champions League Football will still count for a lot - you wont be seeing a top quality player going to a team who have no chance of CL qualification. Bad news for the English National team - no way will youngsters get a go now
Spot on about young English talent,

Sadly precious little of the money will flow through to the lower divisions in England.

Chaos
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Chaos »

ozzie owl wrote:
Napoli wrote:Only the top 4-5 teams will be able to attract the top players. Champions League Football will still count for a lot - you wont be seeing a top quality player going to a team who have no chance of CL qualification. Bad news for the English National team - no way will youngsters get a go now

Sadly precious little of the money will flow through to the lower divisions in England.
Hmm. Yeah. Butland, Gibbs, Kane, Barkley, Sterling, and so on will struggle??
If your good enough. You will succeed.
COLOSSUS wrote:Let me guess, ive got no balls

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Chaos wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:

Hmm. Yeah. Butland, Gibbs, Kane, Barkley, Sterling, and so on will struggle??
If your good enough. You will succeed.
Lets wait and see.

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »

With this deal, Burnley now have a bigger budget than Ajax lol

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

ozzie owl wrote:

Clubs have learnt that relying only on 'buying in' turns their wage bill into a disproportionate burden on their turnover, up to 90% in some cases. Academies may very well only get stronger, Saints have shown a lot of money can be made if run right.

300 million a year will flow to div. 2 via the 3 relegated clubs alone.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

N5 1BH wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:

Clubs have learnt that relying only on 'buying in' turns their wage bill into a disproportionate burden on their turnover, up to 90% in some cases. Academies may very well only get stronger, Saints have shown a lot of money can be made if run right.

300 million a year will flow to div. 2 via the 3 relegated clubs alone.

More than likely very little of the "parachute" money will flow anywhere but into the relegated club's balance books, similar to what has happene3d at Blackpool.

Most of their money was re-directed into the owners various entities to pay off debts and hold money for future projects.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

ozzie owl wrote:Las Liga boss believes that the new deal will be bad for La Liga as EPL sides will have the finances to buy the best from Spain.

sadly it's modern fans like yourself that are to blame

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

God is an Englishman wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:Las Liga boss believes that the new deal will be bad for La Liga as EPL sides will have the finances to buy the best from Spain.

Modern thanks for making me younger :D :D :D :D

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ozzie owl wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:

Modern thanks for making me younger :D :D :D :D

you don't have to be young to be a "modern" fan. I know a few as old as you that are modern fans. It's an attitude more than an age thing.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Watched a football show on Foxtel had piece saying it will have wide implications even across Europe.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Only one team Sheff Wed , hopefully we can return to the EPL in this period.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ozzie owl wrote:
Only one team Sheff Wed , hopefully we can return to the EPL in this period.

Given up on Adelaide United and comets then?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ozzie owl wrote:Watched a football show on Foxtel had piece saying it will have wide implications even across Europe.

Was the show called 'The bleedin' obvious'

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Bournemouth Chairman said Championship clubs will earn about £1m a year each from the New EPL deal.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

If I was Chairman of Sky I'd ask for a refund for the Burnley v Tottenham game. Ninety minutes of my life wasted on complete dross.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

Nice One Cyril wrote:If I was Chairman of Sky I'd ask for a refund for the Burnley v Tottenham game. Ninety minutes of my life wasted on complete dross.
:lol: both defences were woeful as well Cyril

Suldudo biggest flop in the EPL back to back
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

haywood djablowme wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:If I was Chairman of Sky I'd ask for a refund for the Burnley v Tottenham game. Ninety minutes of my life wasted on complete dross.
:lol: both defences were woeful as well Cyril

Suldudo biggest flop in the EPL back to back
It wasn't the defences, it was every bloke on the pitch, I'm hoping for a better standard at Salisbury v Hills this arvo! :shock:

Soldado wasn't playing btw.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower