Cahill Leaving New York

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Kim Kallstrom
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Cahill Leaving New York

Post by Kim Kallstrom »

manny wrote:Did anybody actually watch the interview?

He didn't get a concrete offer from any aleague clubs.
Because his wage demands were higher than the entire salary cap most likely. Also most teams have their marquee player spots sorted at this time of year. Sydney FC after the WC would have been ideal, before they signed Janko.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Kim Kallstrom wrote:
Really hoped he could have joined an a-league team on a lesser salary. Cahill in the a-league would continue the momentum which Australian football gained from the Asian Cup. Can't argue with his decision, he probably wanted one last big pay cheque before he hangs up the boots.

It's not his job to help australian football. He wants to give back, English football has given him more than australian football.
He will hopefully retire here and be an ambassador for Australia - football wise. Whatever his reasoning to goto China good luck to him,

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

Let him do 2.5 years in China, then to the A-league for a year (AU please) leading up to the World Cup, then hang up the boots.
Stirling District (est 1967) 32 seasons successfully avoiding a Championship then this
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2004 Div 1 & Champion of Champions
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

He'll regret it, it's a shit place to play football. I wonder if his family are going too

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

otto62 wrote:Let him do 2.5 years in China, then to the A-league for a year (AU please) leading up to the World Cup, then hang up the boots.
By then he'll be 38. There is absolutely zero chance AU would go for him. Unless he took a liking to AU and came on the cheap.

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

Stuckey wrote:
otto62 wrote:Let him do 2.5 years in China, then to the A-league for a year (AU please) leading up to the World Cup, then hang up the boots.
By then he'll be 38. There is absolutely zero chance AU would go for him. Unless he took a liking to AU and came on the cheap.
If he's going to be good enough to play for Australia at the 2018 World Cup, which is his intended aim, then he'll still be good enough to play for AU in the A-league season leading up to the WC. If not, then I'd agree with you.
Stirling District (est 1967) 32 seasons successfully avoiding a Championship then this
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2004 Div 1 & Champion of Champions
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

otto62 wrote:
Stuckey wrote:
If he's going to be good enough to play for Australia at the 2018 World Cup, which is his intended aim, then he'll still be good enough to play for AU in the A-league season leading up to the WC. If not, then I'd agree with you.
He's kidding himself if he thinks he'll be in contention for the next WC. Personally I'd loved to have seen him retire on the weekend. He is now undoubtedly our greatest Socceroo and bowing out on such a wonderful night would have been special. I'm not saying in the up coming year or so he has nothing to offer. But he certainly has nothing to prove.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

He has $10m reasons to be enjoy his football in China over the next 12 months.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

admin wrote:He has $10m reasons to be enjoy his football in China over the next 12 months.

I don't believe it, admin is speaking sense. #firstforeverything

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

God is an Englishman wrote:
admin wrote:He has $10m reasons to be enjoy his football in China over the next 12 months.

I don't believe it, admin is speaking sense. #firstforeverything
If he gets paid, I think Drogba, Anelka and Joel Griffiths are still chasing them (shenhua) for unpaid wages.

Then again if you are chasing $$$$ then there is a price....
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

There is no way he'd be on that sort of money. He was apparently on $3m in NY.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Stuckey wrote:
I'm sure he'd get "extras" for marketing/promos
Ignore this signature

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Bomber wrote:
Stuckey wrote:
I'm sure he'd get "extras" for marketing/promos
I'm sure. But $10m would put him up there as one of the highest paid footballers in the world. At least in the top 30.