Clarke Carlisle seriously injured

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Clarke Carlisle seriously injured

Post by Old Master »

Former Seasider poorly in hospital

Published on the 23 December 2014

Former Blackpool defender is ‘very poorly’ but ‘alive and stable’ his wife Gemma has announced.

The ex-Premier League defender and Professional Footballers’ Association chairman is in hospital after being involved in a collision with a lorry in North Yorkshire on Monday.

The 35-year-old, who retired from football last year, was airlifted to Leeds General Infirmary with “serious injuries” that were initially reported to be life-threatening.

Gemma Carlisle took to Twitter on Tuesday morning, thanking well-wishers for their thoughts and prayers and saying she was “overwhelmed”.

Later she posted the first update on his condition, saying: “Clarke’s very poorly but he’s alive and stable. Best Christmas gift we as a family could wish for. Thanks again.”

The football community was quick to pledge its support to Carlisle and wish him a speedy recovery.

Representatives from the PFA visited Carlisle in hospital, and in a short statement the organisation said: “Everyone at the PFA is keeping Clarke Carlisle in their prayers and thoughts.

“We visited Clarke at the hospital yesterday and we are offering our full help and support to him and his family at this difficult time.”

Carlisle succeeded Chris Powell as PFA chairman in 2010 and carried out the role for three years before stepping down in 2013.

The FA, Football League and anti-racism organisation Kick It Out, for which Carlisle is an ambassador, all tweeted their support, as did his former clubs Burnley, Blackpool, QPR, Leeds, Watford, Northampton, Preston and York.

Peter Crouch, who played with Carlisle at QPR, and Joey Barton were among the footballers sending their prayers and best wishes.

Crouch wrote: “Just heard about Clarke Carlisle. Was close to Clarke @QPRFC lovely fella. Praying for him and his family #FootballFamily”

Barton said: “Just heard the news about Clarke Carlisle. My thoughts are with his friends and family.”

Former Downing Street communications chief Alastair Campbell, a Burnley fan, also took to Twitter, saying: “Really hoping @clarkecarlisle going be ok. Thoughts with Gemma/two lovely kids. A great @BurnleyOfficial man and mental health campaigner.”

North Yorkshire Police would not confirm that Carlisle was involved in the accident but said a 35-year-old man was airlifted to hospital after a serious incident involving a lorry and a pedestrian on the A64, near York, on Monday morning.

The force launched a witness appeal following the incident, which occurred near the village of Bishopthorpe at 7.30am.

A statement said: “The collision involved a male pedestrian and a lorry.

“The injured man has been airlifted to Leeds General Infirmary with serious injuries.

“The road was closed to allow the air ambulance to land and to allow collision investigators to examine the scene.”

Carlisle regularly appears on television as a commentator and pundit and has also been a contestant on the long-running Channel 4 quiz show Countdown and a guest on the BBC’s Question Time.

He has also presented a TV documentary about racism in the game and another - Football’s Suicide Secret - about mental health issues among his fellow professionals.

Burnley tweeted about their intended show of support for Carlisle when they face Liverpool on Boxing Day.

“The club has been inundated with well wishes for Clarke Carlisle. Fans plan to show support with 1 minute applause in 5th min on Boxing Day.”

Carlisle made the best part of 100 appearances for Blackpool before his big money move to QPR.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: Clarke Carlisle seriously injured

Post by God is an Englishman »

Never had much time for the bloke

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

God is an Englishman wrote:Never had much time for the bloke

Not a nice comment to make, particularly at this time of the year - where's your humanity? :oops:

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

So I have to pretend to like people just because it's some bloke's 2014th birthday?

Chico
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chico »

God is an Englishman wrote:So I have to pretend to like people just because it's some bloke's 2014th birthday?

Good point... Humanity and compassion shouldn't be expected on just one day of the year... :clown:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

So you like everybody do you?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:So I have to pretend to like people just because it's some bloke's 2014th birthday?
If it were his birthday, why isnt it 2015 already?
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:

Because Christmas day and New Years day are different unrelated events

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Bomber wrote:

Because Christmas day and New Years day are different unrelated events
Explain years "AD" and "BC" for our viewers please. :wink:
Ignore this signature

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

GIAE is demonstrating his total lack of basic humanity, as usual, and his total inability to understand the concepts of compassion and decency.

Any normal Human being would refrain from making inappropriate comments when a person suffers a serious life-threatening injury, but not you - you probably work for WorkCover?
Or some similar inhuman agency like the SA labor party. :oops: :oops: :oops:

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

I read it wasn't life threatening.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

God is an Englishman wrote:I read it wasn't life threatening.

Only after his injuries were treated and stabilised was he taken off the "Critical" list.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:

Only after his injuries were treated and stabilised was he taken off the "Critical" list.
So, how long do I have to wait before I can call him a prick?

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Just to prove that I'm not looking at Clarke Carlisle's story through 'Rose Coloured Glasses', I thought this story might open things up a bit.

It appears he has been fighting some personal demons in recent times and has fallen into bad habits - perhaps this had something to do with his 'accident'.

Evening Gazzette:

Stricken ex-footballer Clarke Carlisle is facing court action over an alleged drink driving offence after being charged just days before he was seriously injured in a collision with a lorry.

The 35-year-old former Blackpool, Burnley and QPR defender was seriously injured following the collision on the A64, near York, on December 22 and remains in a Leeds hospital.

The Metropolitan Police have confirmed he was charged with failing to provide a sample on December 20 and is set to appear in court next month.

A statement from the Metropolitan Police said: “Clarke Carlisle, 35, was charged on Saturday, 20 December with failing to provide a specimen and driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence.

“He is due to appear at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court on 20 January 2015.”

North Yorkshire Police launched an investigation into the circumstances of the incident and appealed for witnesses.

Since the collision, a host of footballers, former clubs, organisations and charities have used social media to send messages hoping former Professional Footballers’ Association chairman Carlisle makes a quick recovery.

His wife Gemma thanked well-wishers on Twitter on Monday.

She said: “Thank you for continuing messages of support and for media restraint. Clarke still very poorly but we’re hopeful he’ll make a full recovery.”

Carlisle started his career at Blackpool where he made close on 100 appearances for the Seasiders.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Old Master wrote:

So, how long do I have to wait before I can call him a prick?
When you learn some basic Humanity -you are not God - "Let he without Sin cast the first stone."

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:
When you learn some basic Humanity -you are not God - "Let he without Sin cast the first stone."
So I can never call someone a prick? You must be a prick to think like that.

Humanity - so humanity means I can't give my opinion on someone because they're in hospital. A prick is a prick whether he's in hospital or not.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Old Master wrote:

Humanity - so humanity means I can't give my opinion on someone because they're in hospital. A prick is a prick whether he's in hospital or not.

It's all about decency and humanity - something to do with Timing as well!

Obviously these concepts are beyond your ken. :!: :?:

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Timing? The blokes alive and well so what's the issue. A prick is a prick whether he's in hospital or not.

Zowie
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Zowie »

Old Master wrote:
Old Master wrote: When you learn some basic Humanity -you are not God - "Let he without Sin cast the first stone."
It's all about decency and humanity - something to do with Timing as well!
Obviously these concepts are beyond your ken. :!: :?:
I agree with GIAE on this one. It's like being nice to someone you think is a prick on christmas. Being christmas doesn't make them any less of a prick. Being in hospital doesn't make someone any less of a prick.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

I agree with GIAE on this one. It's like being nice to someone you think is a prick on christmas. Being christmas doesn't make them any less of a prick. Being in hospital doesn't make someone any less of a prick.[/quote]

Actually I'd like GIAE to exhort to us exaclly why he thinks Clarke is a 'prick' - does he know him personally or is he forming his opinion based on his own prejudices?

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:

Actually I'd like GIAE to exhort to us exaclly why he thinks Clarke is a 'prick' - does he know him personally or is he forming his opinion based on his own prejudices?
My prejudices? What do you mean by that?

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Old Master wrote:

Make of it what you will - you're a better judge of your character than I am apparently.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:
Old Master wrote:

Make of it what you will - you're a better judge of your character than I am apparently.
So you claim I have prejudices against someone and then won't back it up.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

However, despite your inability to back up your comment I will respond to your question.

his handling over the John Terry affair was a disgrace and Te main reason I think he's a prick.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

God is an Englishman wrote:However, despite your inability to back up your comment I will respond to your question.

his handling over the John Terry affair was a disgrace and Te main reason I think he's a prick.

Well there we are then - problem solvered.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:However, despite your inability to back up your comment I will respond to your question.

So, why the mention of prejudice?

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Old Master wrote:

So, why the mention of prejudice?
Because I am pretty sure your attitude to Carlisle is because he "sided with one of his own", a statement I've heard many times from those in England who still have a racist view towards Black footballers.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:
Because I am pretty sure your attitude to Carlisle is because he "sided with one of his own", a statement I've heard many times from those in England who still have a racist view towards Black footballers.
You assume wrong then. You are right that I think he's a prick over his handling of that issue but nothing to do with "one of his own".

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

didn't read the article, but wasn't he in trouble for drink driving? I think that's what the headline said.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Digger wrote:didn't read the article, but wasn't he in trouble for drink driving? I think that's what the headline said.

Got caught a couple of days before his accident