RSHFORD FORCES BORIS TO BACK DOWN

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Post Reply
Old Master
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7003
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:03 pm
Been thanked: 3 times

RSHFORD FORCES BORIS TO BACK DOWN

Post by Old Master »

Manchester United's Marcus Rashford campaign makes British Prime Minister Boris Johnson restore children's food vouchers

3 hrs ago

© Provided by ABC Health Star footballer Marcus Rashford used his fame to get British PM Boris Johnson to reverse a funding cut for meal vouchers. (AP/10 Downing Street)

Marcus Rashford is famous in Britain as one of the young stars of the Premier League, but the 22-year-old has scored a vital goal off the pitch, forcing the British Government to restore funding for free meals for children.
The young man who grew up as one of five children of a hard-working single mother in Manchester's Wythenshawe area now earns an estimated 10 million pounds ($18 million) a year playing for one of the world's biggest clubs.
But he has never forgotten his roots, and when Britain was forced into lockdown this year due to the coronavirus, Rashford began to use his platform to raise awareness and money for those in need.
He worked with poverty and food waste charity FareShare to help raise 20 million pounds ($36 million) to provide food for children who would have been eligible for free meals if still at school.
The campaign is helping to provide three million meals a week across the United Kingdom.
But there was still a large gap between the needs of hungry kids and the ability for charities to provide.
At the weekend, Rashford took his campaign one step further, writing an open letter to members of the British Parliament — his post on Twitter was retweeted more than 157,000 times.
"My story to get here is all too familiar for families in England: my mum worked full-time, earning minimum wage to make sure we always had a good evening meal on the table," he wrote.
"But it was not enough. The system was not built for families like mine to succeed, regardless of how hard my mum worked."
"As a family, we relied on breakfast clubs, free school meals and the kind actions of neighbours and coaches.
"Food banks and soup kitchens were not alien to us; I recall very clearly our visits to Northern Moor to collect our Christmas dinners every year."
Rashford spoke of getting "thousands of insights" from parents trying to cope amid COVID-19.
"I have listened when fathers have told me they are struggling with depression, unable to sleep, worried sick about how they are going to support their families having lost their jobs unexpectedly," he wrote.
" schoolteachers who are personally covering the cost of food packages for their vulnerable families after the school debit card had been maxed out; mothers who can't cover the cost of increased electricity and food bills during the lockdown, and parents who are sacrificing their own meals for their children."
He urged the Government to reconsider its decision to cancel the existing food voucher system over the summer holidays to 1.3 million children from lower-income families.
"As a black man from a low-income family in Wythenshawe, Manchester, I could have been just another statistic," he wrote.
"Instead, due to the selfless actions of my mum, my family, my neighbours, and my coaches, the only stats I'm associated with are goals, appearances and caps.
"I would be doing myself, my family and my community an injustice if I didn't stand here today with my voice and my platform and ask you for help."
Prime Minister Boris Johnson initially resisted, but the Government gave in on Tuesday and said it would continue to provide food vouchers over the six-week summer break.
When schools were shut down in March, the voucher program was set up to help ensure children did not go hungry. Vouchers worth 15 pounds ($27.40) were given to spend each week in supermarkets.
The Government said it would continue the program over the summer in England at a cost of 120 million pounds ($219 million). Authorities in Scotland and Wales have similar plans.
Until Tuesday, Mr Johnson's Conservative Government had refused to budge, pointing out that it had earmarked an extra 63 million pounds ($115 million) for local authorities to support vulnerable families.
But Rashford's campaign quickly picked up steam, backed by celebrities, opposition politicians and even some Conservative MPs.
After the announcement, Rashford tweeted: "I don't even know what to say. Just look at what we can do when we come together, THIS is England in 2020."
Mr Johnson said he had spoken to Rashford to congratulate and thank him.
"We have to understand the pressures families are under right now and that's why we've responded as we have," Mr Johnson said.
Rashford is not the only young star working to help those in need during the pandemic.
His teammate Jesse Lingard has taken part in charity FIFA tournaments to raise money for Britain's National Health Service (NHS).
Lately, as Britain moves to require people to wear face masks to limit the spread of COVID-19, Lingard has created new 12-pound "JLingz" masks, with all proceeds going to provide funds for the NHS.
Rashford's achievement in forcing the policy change drew praise from the worlds of sport and politics.
Anne Longfield, England's Children's Commissioner, thanked Rashford for highlighting "the blight of holiday hunger".
Manchester United's official Twitter account said: "A hero. An inspiration. One of our own. We are so proud of you, Marcus Rashford."
Premier League chief executive Richard Masters praised Rashford's perseverance.
"It's a really important and heart-moving cause so I offer my congratulations to him," Masters said.
In a statement, Rashford thanked British MPs for listening.
"This was never about me or you, this was never about politics, this was a cry out for help from vulnerable parents all over the country and I simply provided a platform for their voices to be heard," he wrote.
"I stand proud today knowing that we have listened, and we have done what is right."
ABC/AP

GREAT TO SEE SO MANY SPORTS STARS GIVING BACK DURING THIS CRISIS, OM
The older I get the better I was.


FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

N5 1BH
First Team Regular
First Team Regular
Posts: 2119
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:17 pm

Re: RSHFORD FORCES BORIS TO BACK DOWN

Post by N5 1BH »

Something productive from a sportsman for once. Good on Marcus, boris is a champagne

B.Toomer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
Posts: 759
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:45 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: RSHFORD FORCES BORIS TO BACK DOWN

Post by B.Toomer »

While others of his age are defacing statues & fighting with police, this decent human being hasn't forgotten where he came from and used his fame to do something positive for the less fortunate.

User avatar
Michael
Squad Player
Squad Player
Posts: 1346
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: RSHFORD FORCES BORIS TO BACK DOWN

Post by Michael »

B.Toomer wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:49 pm
While others of his age are defacing statues & fighting with police, this decent human being hasn't forgotten where he came from and used his fame to do something positive for the less fortunate.
Well said
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

Old Master
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7003
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:03 pm
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: RSHFORD FORCES BORIS TO BACK DOWN

Post by Old Master »

It was good to watch Rashford and Martial really gelling last night (10.00 AM this morning for me) in ManUre's win, as they've rarely played well together in the past.

I hope they can maintain this partnership long into the future.
The older I get the better I was.


FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Champions at last
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
Posts: 14096
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 3 times

Re: RSHFORD FORCES BORIS TO BACK DOWN

Post by Champions at last »

Old Master wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:39 pm
It was good to watch Rashford and Martial really gelling last night (10.00 AM this morning for me) in ManUre's win, as they've rarely played well together in the past.

I hope they can maintain this partnership long into the future.
What time did your mate come round today? I am sure you said you meet him for lunch?

Old Master
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7003
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:03 pm
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: RSHFORD FORCES BORIS TO BACK DOWN

Post by Old Master »

Champions at last wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:22 pm
Old Master wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:39 pm
It was good to watch Rashford and Martial really gelling last night (10.00 AM this morning for me) in ManUre's win, as they've rarely played well together in the past.

I hope they can maintain this partnership long into the future.
What time did your mate come round today? I am sure you said you meet him for lunch?
My mate emails them to me, as I informed you in another topic, and 'Yes' I do meet him for Lunch, but not for some time due to reasons beyond my control, but that is just to catch up and talk about the game in general.
The older I get the better I was.


FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Champions at last
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
Posts: 14096
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 3 times

Re: RSHFORD FORCES BORIS TO BACK DOWN

Post by Champions at last »

What email and format? Even compressed, no email client or sever will allow this as far as I am aware.

If you can teach me, I would be very grateful.

Old Master
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7003
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:03 pm
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: RSHFORD FORCES BORIS TO BACK DOWN

Post by Old Master »

Champions at last wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:33 pm
What email and format? Even compressed, no email client or sever will allow this as far as I am aware.

If you can teach me, I would be very grateful.
As I have said ad-infinitum, but you fail to grasp, due to your ignorance, or just plain old inability to believe that someone knows more than you, I don't understand how it works but I'm simply glad that it does.
Having a True Genius for a close friend can be an exciting and amazing experience and I am just happy he is my friend and overlooks my inability to understand what he does and how he does it - and that's all there is to it.
The older I get the better I was.


FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Champions at last
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
Posts: 14096
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 3 times

Re: RSHFORD FORCES BORIS TO BACK DOWN

Post by Champions at last »

Old Master wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:38 pm
Champions at last wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:33 pm
What email and format? Even compressed, no email client or sever will allow this as far as I am aware.

If you can teach me, I would be very grateful.
As I have said ad-infinitum, but you fail to grasp, due to your ignorance, or just plain old inability to believe that someone knows more than you, I don't understand how it works but I'm simply glad that it does.
Having a True Genius for a close friend can be an exciting and amazing experience and I am just happy he is my friend and overlooks my inability to understand what he does and how he does it - and that's all there is to it.
I have asked many simple questions which you have failed to answer and I admit I don’t know something and you try and belittle me.

Just be honest? You are either making it all up or exaggerating.

Old Master
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7003
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:03 pm
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: RSHFORD FORCES BORIS TO BACK DOWN

Post by Old Master »

Champions at last wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:24 pm
Old Master wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:38 pm
Champions at last wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:33 pm
What email and format? Even compressed, no email client or sever will allow this as far as I am aware.

If you can teach me, I would be very grateful.
As I have said ad-infinitum, but you fail to grasp, due to your ignorance, or just plain old inability to believe that someone knows more than you, I don't understand how it works but I'm simply glad that it does.
Having a True Genius for a close friend can be an exciting and amazing experience and I am just happy he is my friend and overlooks my inability to understand what he does and how he does it - and that's all there is to it.
I have asked many simple questions which you have failed to answer and I admit I don’t know something and you try and belittle me.

Just be honest? You are either making it all up or exaggerating.
You are the one who is continually trying to belittle me by suggesting I am lying about everything and you have never once accepted that you are out of your depth in this matter.
Why do you have be so negative towards me all the time?
What have I ever done to you to deserve this continual harassment?

I have answered every question you have asked to the best of my ability, as I really have no idea how it all works, but it does and that's all I can say.
If you can't accept it then just leave me alone FFS!
The older I get the better I was.


FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

User avatar
God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member
Posts: 45064
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 5:31 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: RSHFORD FORCES BORIS TO BACK DOWN

Post by God is an Englishman »

What a load of rubbish. Why should my taxes pay for something that's their parents job.

If you can't afford to feed children, don't have them. Simple.
West Adelaide Soccer Club president Alex Alexandrou said the club was still in a position to be playing and training at the new ground either by the end of the 2015 season or in 2016.

Champions at last
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
Posts: 14096
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 3 times

Re: RSHFORD FORCES BORIS TO BACK DOWN

Post by Champions at last »

Old Master wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:44 pm
Champions at last wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:24 pm
Old Master wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:38 pm
Champions at last wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:33 pm
What email and format? Even compressed, no email client or sever will allow this as far as I am aware.

If you can teach me, I would be very grateful.
As I have said ad-infinitum, but you fail to grasp, due to your ignorance, or just plain old inability to believe that someone knows more than you, I don't understand how it works but I'm simply glad that it does.
Having a True Genius for a close friend can be an exciting and amazing experience and I am just happy he is my friend and overlooks my inability to understand what he does and how he does it - and that's all there is to it.
I have asked many simple questions which you have failed to answer and I admit I don’t know something and you try and belittle me.

Just be honest? You are either making it all up or exaggerating.
You are the one who is continually trying to belittle me by suggesting I am lying about everything and you have never once accepted that you are out of your depth in this matter.
Why do you have be so negative towards me all the time?
What have I ever done to you to deserve this continual harassment?

I have answered every question you have asked to the best of my ability, as I really have no idea how it all works, but it does and that's all I can say.
If you can't accept it then just leave me alone FFS!
Sorry, I have not meant in anyway to upset you.
I have asked questions as I don’t get it.

You have never done anything to upset me, and I genuinely miss our chats.

I will leave it there.

N5 1BH
First Team Regular
First Team Regular
Posts: 2119
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:17 pm

Re: RSHFORD FORCES BORIS TO BACK DOWN

Post by N5 1BH »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:16 pm
What a load of rubbish. Why should my taxes pay for something that's their parents job.

If you can't afford to feed children, don't have them. Simple.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thank you katie hopkins

User avatar
God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member
Posts: 45064
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 5:31 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: RSHFORD FORCES BORIS TO BACK DOWN

Post by God is an Englishman »

N5 1BH wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:12 am
God is an Englishman wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:16 pm
What a load of rubbish. Why should my taxes pay for something that's their parents job.

If you can't afford to feed children, don't have them. Simple.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thank you katie hopkins
Yes, she was right.
West Adelaide Soccer Club president Alex Alexandrou said the club was still in a position to be playing and training at the new ground either by the end of the 2015 season or in 2016.

N5 1BH
First Team Regular
First Team Regular
Posts: 2119
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:17 pm

Re: RSHFORD FORCES BORIS TO BACK DOWN

Post by N5 1BH »

What if they have no parents

User avatar
God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member
Posts: 45064
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 5:31 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: RSHFORD FORCES BORIS TO BACK DOWN

Post by God is an Englishman »

N5 1BH wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:27 am
What if they have no parents
Then their guardians have taken on that responsibility.

If they are in care, then the state is already paying for them. They don't need to do it twice.
West Adelaide Soccer Club president Alex Alexandrou said the club was still in a position to be playing and training at the new ground either by the end of the 2015 season or in 2016.

N5 1BH
First Team Regular
First Team Regular
Posts: 2119
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:17 pm

Re: RSHFORD FORCES BORIS TO BACK DOWN

Post by N5 1BH »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:41 pm
N5 1BH wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:27 am
What if they have no parents
Then their guardians have taken on that responsibility.

If they are in care, then the state is already paying for them. They don't need to do it twice.
So we agree the state has a duty to ensure all children are sufficiently cared for

User avatar
God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member
Posts: 45064
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 5:31 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: RSHFORD FORCES BORIS TO BACK DOWN

Post by God is an Englishman »

N5 1BH wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:08 pm
God is an Englishman wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:41 pm
N5 1BH wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:27 am
What if they have no parents
Then their guardians have taken on that responsibility.

If they are in care, then the state is already paying for them. They don't need to do it twice.
So we agree the state has a duty to ensure all children are sufficiently cared for
Yes
West Adelaide Soccer Club president Alex Alexandrou said the club was still in a position to be playing and training at the new ground either by the end of the 2015 season or in 2016.

Old Master
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7003
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:03 pm
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: RSHFORD FORCES BORIS TO BACK DOWN

Post by Old Master »

Champions at last wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:05 pm
Old Master wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:44 pm
Champions at last wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:24 pm
Old Master wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:38 pm
Champions at last wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:33 pm
What email and format? Even compressed, no email client or sever will allow this as far as I am aware.

If you can teach me, I would be very grateful.
As I have said ad-infinitum, but you fail to grasp, due to your ignorance, or just plain old inability to believe that someone knows more than you, I don't understand how it works but I'm simply glad that it does.
Having a True Genius for a close friend can be an exciting and amazing experience and I am just happy he is my friend and overlooks my inability to understand what he does and how he does it - and that's all there is to it.
I have asked many simple questions which you have failed to answer and I admit I don’t know something and you try and belittle me.

Just be honest? You are either making it all up or exaggerating.
You are the one who is continually trying to belittle me by suggesting I am lying about everything and you have never once accepted that you are out of your depth in this matter.
Why do you have be so negative towards me all the time?
What have I ever done to you to deserve this continual harassment?

I have answered every question you have asked to the best of my ability, as I really have no idea how it all works, but it does and that's all I can say.
If you can't accept it then just leave me alone FFS!
Sorry, I have not meant in anyway to upset you.
I have asked questions as I don’t get it.

You have never done anything to upset me, and I genuinely miss our chats.

I will leave it there.
Thank you for that, I too miss chatting with you, lets get back to normal again, please.
The older I get the better I was.


FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Post Reply