Liverpool

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: Liverpool

Post by God is an Englishman »

No more controversy wrote:He's clearly wrong though, it was never a possibility.
And if we lost/drew one game any season we would always accept it.
Of course you would accept it but which would you be happier with?

Surely you want your team to win every game they play don't you?

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

God is an Englishman wrote:
No more controversy wrote:He's clearly wrong though, it was never a possibility.

Goes without saying which we would be happier with but that wasn't the question/statement.

And are you like Old Master in 2017...side stepping your clear error re us dropping points v The Cherries :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

THis is obvious.
But apparently its deluded to rationalise the fact that it's almost impossible to go P38 W 38 D 0 L 0.

Anyway...it was one of the poorer fishing trips but he's hooked a couple so maybe it wasn't so bad.
Revise that to originality poor, execution average.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Surely a true fisherman can comeback and admit they are wrong?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

No more controversy wrote:

Goes without saying which we would be happier with but that wasn't the question/statement.

And are you like Old Master in 2017...side stepping your clear error re us dropping points v The Cherries :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think it's very simple here, the old Liverpool would not have been happy dropping ANY points. I fully understand that it's almost impossible to win every game and I'd be more than happy for Millwall to get 127 points next season (in fact that's a complete understatement), but I think he's right.

If you win 10 in a row, you want 11 in a row. If you get 20 in a row you want 21. If you get 37, you want 38.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

who ever said any team is ever happy dropping points?

Matt, you have clearly not read and digested what we were talking about originally. LFC fans have never said they were happy.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

No more controversy wrote:who ever said any team is ever happy dropping points?

Matt, you have clearly not read and digested what we were talking about originally. LFC fans have never said they were happy.
not happy, but accepting. He makes a fair point

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

In fact you are so wrong (I think it was 1983 - no time to look it up) we as a club 'accepted' many defeats at the end of the season......we had won the league at a canter and didn't worry about it.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

In fact you are so wrong (I think it was 1983 - no time to look it up) we as a club 'accepted' many defeats at the end of the season......we had won the league at a canter and didn't worry about it.
So after each game, did you walk away going "I accept that defeat"?

If you answer yes, then you're not a real supporter.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

i was too young to be going to all the games, I went to one of the defeats and it was party like (Paisley's last game), going through motions and players not caring. Ian Rush has told stories about the players being drunk for one game!

You went to a game when it mattered thats season, and we won silverware.

In 1995 I did got to a game at Anfield, and did want us to lose, but we did win, and the whole ground celebrated....but we would have gad we lost i can tell you!!!

If any of the above makes you think I am not a supporter, I am not bothered! :wink:

Undercover Cop
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Undercover Cop »

Were they playing Queens Park Rangers that day?

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Undercover Cop wrote:Were they playing Queens Park Rangers that day?
Liverpool didn't beat QPR when Matt saw them win silverware. The only time I can think of Liverpool 'beating' QPR to win something was in 1976 when they were Runners up in the League.

The fact I used to go and watch QPR for a couple of years never made me a supporter of them and not something I am ashamed of. Many supporters of one club go and watch other teams. Currently approx. 31,000 people don't get to watcH LFC every home game (and try and get tickets) as matches are sold out, so they goto Tranmere and other clubs - it happens and it helps support smaller clubs.

I am happy to play along with all your attempts at winding me up....

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Undercover Cop wrote:Were they playing Queens Park Rangers that day?
:lol:

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

Ultimately my point is that Liverpool's expectations have significantly lowered as their achievements have diminished and they are no longer the force they once were. Nobody really fears them anymore and they have become a club more accepting of getting top 4 than of actually winning the thing.

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

Old Redback wrote:Ultimately my point is that Liverpool's expectations have significantly lowered as their achievements have diminished and they are no longer the force they once were. Nobody really fears them anymore and they have become a club more accepting of getting top 4 than of actually winning the thing.
Not sure if serious or just woke from 25yr coma....

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

Well you are no longer the force you once were and your fans are delusional thinking you are the greatest club in the land...the way you lot carry on is more like you've been in a 25 year coma forgetting that you have been ordinary since the 80s.

Vuvuzela Heaven
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Vuvuzela Heaven »

80's?
There's a buzz in the stadium

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

Old Redback wrote:Well you are no longer the force you once were and your fans are delusional thinking you are the greatest club in the land...the way you lot carry on is more like you've been in a 25 year coma forgetting that you have been ordinary since the 80s.
which was my point! :lol: :lol:

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Off the top of my head since 1990 (our last championship), only Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea have won more trophies than us?

We haven't won (bought) the league but have European success and domestic cups to enjoy. We are not great or dominant but we are better and have been for many years than 85+ other clubs who wish they had even our (recent) success. I am happy with that.

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

No more controversy wrote:Off the top of my head since 1990 (our last championship), only Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea have won more trophies than us?

We haven't won (bought) the league but have European success and domestic cups to enjoy. We are not great or dominant but we are better and have been for many years than 85+ other clubs who wish they had even our (recent) success. I am happy with that.
Your net spend would be up there so one can only assume that you have also failed in your purchases as well.....

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

Old Redback wrote:
No more controversy wrote:Off the top of my head since 1990 (our last championship), only Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea have won more trophies than us?

Your net spend would be up there so one can only assume that you have also failed in your purchases as well.....
Wages are the better proxy for performance.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Old Redback wrote:

Nothing personal, (honest) but you obviously don't know me, I hate the net spend thing, its meaningless TBH. and ours is actually low due to selling the likes of Suarez. Last summer we received more than we spent, yet improved the squad.

If it wasn't for the vast input from new owners (since 1990) Liverpool would be way ahead of Chelsea and City. I am not bitter or jealous, it's life. Only Arsenal and Utd have had more long term success. Leeds won the league just after us and then imploded. Blackburn bought it and have been relegated, Leicester are champions but have also been in the second division, so I stand by I am happy with our recent history, but not denying would have loved a league title or 2.

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

No you're right and and I don't know you but it would appear you are one of the few Liverpool fans with a bit more grip on reality and I commend you for it as there are many that are delusional and continue to live in the past. That all being said I am wary of fans who accept poor results from any team and I still think Liverpool have tried to buy the the title they just have not invested wisely (witness the waste of the Suarez money) not, until now, had a coach that has a plan and a way of executing. Big fan of Klopp and if anyone can return Liverpool to the halcyon days it may well be him.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Old Redback wrote:No you're right and and I don't know you but it would appear you are one of the few Liverpool fans with a bit more grip on reality and I commend you for it as there are many that are delusional and continue to live in the past. That all being said I am wary of fans who accept poor results from any team and I still think Liverpool have tried to buy the the title they just have not invested wisely (witness the waste of the Suarez money) not, until now, had a coach that has a plan and a way of executing. Big fan of Klopp and if anyone can return Liverpool to the halcyon days it may well be him.

We have made many bad decisions and will make more no doubt, I just hope they are less frequent. All clubs do, you spent 50m on Torres, hardly worked out :-)

All I want from Klopp is consistent progress so we do end up with the title, none of this 4th 7th 2nd, 8th 2nd stuff. 4th 4th 2nd 1st 1st will do.

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

No more controversy wrote:[

Leeds won the league just after us and then imploded. .
imploded - that's a bit strong IMO- they got relegated to the Championship and have struggled for many years in that league but still remained strong at championship level and this year appear to be putting some very good building blocks for future success. :wink:

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mr Red wrote:

imploded - that's a bit strong IMO- they got relegated to the Championship and have struggled for many years in that league but still remained strong at championship level and this year appear to be putting some very good building blocks for future success. :wink:
you went to Div1 (the old third division) and almost bankrupt!!

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

If not imploded then how else would you describe it? Leeds spent more money than they could gaurantee they would earn and crashed out of the league as they did not have a sustainable model and as such could not keep the players that would have got them straight back up and in a few cases had to sell them just to stay afloat.

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Mr Red wrote:

you went to Div1 (the old third division) and almost bankrupt!!
Almost but they still got through them years and considering what they have been through they seem to be getting a lot of things right now.

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Old Redback wrote:If not imploded then how else would you describe it? Leeds spent more money than they could gaurantee they would earn and crashed out of the league as they did not have a sustainable model and as such could not keep the players that would have got them straight back up and in a few cases had to sell them just to stay afloat.
Struggled :wink: (on and off the pitch)

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Old Redback wrote:If not imploded then how else would you describe it? Leeds spent more money than they could gaurantee they would earn and crashed out of the league as they did not have a sustainable model and as such could not keep the players that would have got them straight back up and in a few cases had to sell them just to stay afloat.
but they did have goldfish.