If your football club folded..

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

wizard
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: If your football club folded..

Post by wizard »

Juventino wrote:
wizard wrote:
Correct. I loved soccer.. but there wasn't a team here I supported. I used to go and watch the occasional Adelaide City game, but wasn't really a 'supporter'.

Then AUFC came along and was the team that I felt I could really support.

Millwall left the Isle of Dogs in the early 1900s didn't they? I wonder if anyone stopped supporting them then.
Do that these days and you are accused of being a bitter or a snob or some other rubbish.
I completely understand why people aren't AUFC supporters if they've had previous clubs to support, or if there's some reason not to support them.

I also understand that not everyone who goes to game is a hardcore ultra who gets the logo tattooed on their arm and would die for their club.

Some people actually just go because they enjoy the support. That's ok too.

wizard
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by wizard »

God is an Englishman wrote:Maybe they did, but if they did then good riddance to poor supporters. However, a lot used to walk through the foot tunnel at Greenwich to the games still. We had HUGE support in those days.

We moved in 1910.
Going by Google maps, the walk from Wimbledon to Milton Keynes would take well over 17 hours.

I completely understand why Wimbledon supporters stopped following MK Dons and created their own club.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

wizard wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Maybe they did, but if they did then good riddance to poor supporters. However, a lot used to walk through the foot tunnel at Greenwich to the games still. We had HUGE support in those days.

We moved in 1910.
Going by Google maps, the walk from Wimbledon to Milton Keynes would take well over 17 hours.

I completely understand why Wimbledon supporters stopped following MK Dons and created their own club.

they formed their club BEFORE they moved to Milton Keynes

wizard
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by wizard »

God is an Englishman wrote:
wizard wrote:

We moved in 1910.

they formed their club BEFORE they moved to Milton Keynes
But because of that move though. That move was imminent so they got in first.

That was the whole reason for starting the club, was becuase Wimbledon was being moved to Milton Keynes. They'd been trying for years to move there.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

wizard wrote:But because of that move though. That move was imminent so they got in first.

That was the whole reason for starting the club, was becuase Wimbledon was being moved to Milton Keynes. They'd been trying for years to move there.

No they hadn't, they had talked about moving to many places before then. Including back to Wimbledon itself and also Dublin.

No decision was set and instead of fighting for their club they ran away and gave up.

No time for afc wimbledon fans at all - it's what is wrong with modern football supporters these days.

wizard
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by wizard »

I think AFC Wimbledon is everything that's right about football fans.

Rather than follow a club that was no longer the club they supported and loved.. they formed a new one, that took its place.

I think that's brilliant.

wizard
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by wizard »

I'm going to trust the Wikipedia article on the subject as well (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relocation ... ton_Keynes) which states:

Wimbledon chairman Ron Noades briefly explored moving the club to Milton Keynes in 1979
The introduction of a new chairman at Wimbledon, Charles Koppel, led to receptive talks; Koppel announced in August 2001 that Wimbledon intended to relocate to Milton Keynes.

Hugely controversial, the move's authorisation prompted the formation of AFC Wimbledon by disaffected Wimbledon supporters in June 2002.

Meaning the plan to move was happened before AFC Wimbledon started.
Wimbledon didn't start playing at Milton Keynes for another 6 months or so (June 2003).

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

wizard wrote:I'm going to trust the Wikipedia article on the subject as well (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relocation ... ton_Keynes) which states:

Wimbledon chairman Ron Noades briefly explored moving the club to Milton Keynes in 1979
The introduction of a new chairman at Wimbledon, Charles Koppel, led to receptive talks; Koppel announced in August 2001 that Wimbledon intended to relocate to Milton Keynes.

Hugely controversial, the move's authorisation prompted the formation of AFC Wimbledon by disaffected Wimbledon supporters in June 2002.

Meaning the plan to move was happened before AFC Wimbledon started.
Wimbledon didn't start playing at Milton Keynes for another 6 months or so (June 2003).
So they formed the club before they had even moved. They didn't fight to save their club, they just jumped off the bandwagon and started a new club and then worse still tried to steal it's history.

wizard
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by wizard »

But the decision had been made.. it was happening and there was nothing the supporters could do.

Except create their own club that cohldn't be screwed over by a dodgy chairman.

I'm surprised you're pro the chairman moving the club to MK and not the supporters for creating their own club.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

wizard wrote:But the decision had been made.. it was happening and there was nothing the supporters could do.

Except create their own club that cohldn't be screwed over by a dodgy chairman.

I'm surprised you're pro the chairman moving the club to MK and not the supporters for creating their own club.

Decisions are made and changed EVERY day, they just gave up and ran away and found another club to support.

How is that possibly supporting your club?

To me what makes it worse is they try to claim that their club is the original one. Take a look at their honours page, they're worse than west adelaide

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

wizard wrote:But because of that move though. That move was imminent so they got in first.

No they hadn't, they had talked about moving to many places before then. Including back to Wimbledon itself and also Dublin.

No decision was set and instead of fighting for their club they ran away and gave up.

No time for afc wimbledon fans at all - it's what is wrong with modern football supporters these days.

I really think you are being totally pedantic about all this.

Many people who love Football have a club they follow because of where they were born but that club fades into history, so the have two options give up supporting Football or find a new club.

As many of these people LOVE football they choose option 2.

Many other people, like me, support their Home Town club first (Blackpool), a second club by choice (Leeds) because of a connection ('Uncle' Don Revie was my Dad's mate), or clubs they played for at some level (Fleetwood Town, Accrington Stanley, Morecombe, RC Lens, Heerenveen).

I support AU because they are my new Home team and Campbelltown as they are my local club which I have supported since the beginning of season 1986 and was involved in for many years in various positions .

I also support Athelstone because I had a big influence on the Juniors as a Coach and Committee member.

I consider myself to be a Football person and supporter but according to GIAE et al I am not a true supporter - what a crock of SH1T! :roll:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote: I really think you are being totally pedantic about all this.

Many people who love Football have a club they follow because of where they were born but that club fades into history, so the have two options give up supporting Football or find a new club.

Many other people, like me, support their Home Town club first (Blackpool), a second club by choice (Leeds) because of a connection ('Uncle' Don Revie was my Dad's mate), or clubs they played for at some level (Fleetwood Town, Accrington Stanley, Morecombe, RC Lens, Heerenveen).

I support AU because they are my new Home team and Campbelltown as they are my local club which I have supported since the beginning of season 1986 and was involved in for many years in various positions .

I also support Athelstone because I had a big influence on the Juniors as a Coach and Committee member.

I consider myself to be a Football person and supporter but according to GIAE et al I am not a true supporter - what a crock of SH1T! :roll:
What is pedantic about it? They try to steal history, they set up a new club before their club had moved..

You may be a true football supporter but you're clearly not a true supporter of all of those teams, it's not possible to be I mean you've named 11 clubs there. Even Ozzie Owl isn't that bad.

Most football supporters I know support 1 CLUB and 1 CLUB ONLY!

You do make me laugh though, you don't miss a trick to tell people which clubs you have played for do you. You're as bad as John Dedes.

wizard
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by wizard »

I can't think of any football supporters I know that support one club and one club only..

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

wizard wrote:I can't think of any football supporters I know that support one club and one club only..
Take any aussies out of this comment and I can't name 1 who supports more than 1 club

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Old Master wrote: I really think you are being totally pedantic about all this.

What is pedantic about it? They try to steal history, they set up a new club before their club had moved..

You may be a true football supporter but you're clearly not a true supporter of all of those teams, it's not possible to be I mean you've named 11 clubs there. Even Ozzie Owl isn't that bad.

Most football supporters I know support 1 CLUB and 1 CLUB ONLY!

You do make me laugh though, you don't miss a trick to tell people which clubs you have played for do you. You're as bad as John Dedes.
As usual with you it's, 'Your way or the Highway'.

I only follow Leeds with "Full" passion, I have a "Very Keen" interest in Blackpool and a "Passing Interest in the others.

I'm certainly not "Big Noting" myself by mentioning the clubs I played for, as my Football career was hardly 'Spectacular" because I had ability but was too injury prone to become a "Star".

I did, however, make many friends in the game that I still keep in touch with regularly thanks to emails.

I merely mention the clubs I played for to advise you that there are different types of Football supporters than the "One Club Forever" type you portray.

"Live and Let Live" is my motto in regard to Football supporters - if we were all like you it would a very lonely world. :(
Last edited by Old Master on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

wizard wrote:I can't think of any football supporters I know that support one club and one club only..
Spot on, I would say majority of Football News forumites agree with you. All the football supporters I know do support more than one team. So majority rules :D :D :D :D

wizard
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by wizard »

Take any aussies out of this comment and I can't name 1 who supports more than 1 club
I know a few English people who support the big club in their area (usually always ManUtd) and the local club near where they grew up.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

wizard wrote:
I know a few English people who support the big club in their area (usually always ManUtd) and the local club near where they grew up.

Then I ask the question I always ask about such people - who would they support if their 2 teams played each other?

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

wizard wrote:
Lots of supporters follow an FA club and a sunday league club.

I would say multiple club support is huge all over world. That is why the big clubs have their sides all the world especially in Asia and USA. Football supporters in these areas would have a local side to support and an EPL side.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

ozzie owl wrote:Lots of supporters follow an FA club and a sunday league club.
If your son left his current club and moved elsewhere, where would you go on a Saturday arvo, old club or new club?
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

wizard
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by wizard »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
If your son left his current club and moved elsewhere, where would you go on a Saturday arvo, old club or new club?
I don't have a son.. but if I did.. I would follow his new club I think.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
My late Uncle was a Blades season ticket holder and president ( former coach, former player) of Sunday team. He watched every Blades game and the Sunday team both with equal passion.

As for son's think you know my answer, if they played same time would watch him, , if not watch both.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

I would say multiple club support is huge all over world. That is why the big clubs have their sides all the world especially in Asia and USA. Football supporters in these areas would have a local side to support and an EPL side.

If you are talking about England then those sunday sides are an FA Club.

Also, every sunday club I have played for is lucky to have one man and a dog watching them.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Also, every sunday club I have played for is lucky to have one man and a dog watching them.
His team played sunday afternoons so above the standard off the sunday pub leagues , probably on par with the higher SAASL sides.

On holiday went to watch my cousins sunday morning team I think I was the only spectator, the reserves had to run the line.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ozzie owl wrote:

His team played sunday afternoons so above the standard off the sunday pub leagues , probably on par with the higher SAASL sides.

On holiday went to watch my cousins sunday morning team I think I was the only spectator, the reserves had to run the line.

Must have been a dodgy league then because I reckon the top division in my sunday morning league would beat easily a SAASL or State League team.

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

ozzie owl wrote:

I coached a club in England that played Saturday morning for a while and if more than 6 spectators turned up my lot got stage fright :)
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Mackem Lad wrote:I coached a club in England that played Saturday morning for a while and if more than 6 spectators turned up my lot got stage fright :)

I assume that includes the dogs.

wizard
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by wizard »

Mackem Lad wrote:I coached a club in England that played Saturday morning for a while and if more than 6 spectators turned up my lot got stage fright :)
Are you Peter Reid?

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

wizard wrote:
Are you Peter Reid?
:lol:
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all