Scotland v England

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Scotland v England

Post by Old Redback »

The gulf in class was too great - thought the Scottish passion may make for a more even game but the gulf in class was too great - Scotland with only a couple of Celtic players and the rest plying their trade in the Championship just shows the difference. Gone are the days when the spines of great English clubs sides were full of Scots in the mould of Dalglish, Souness, Hansen, McQueen, Strachan, Sharpe, Bremner, McAllister to name a few.
It may have been a great feeling for the travelling England fans but that would be shortlived once they realised they would have been in the East End of Glasgow wearing 3 Lions!

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: Scotland v England

Post by Old Master »

Old Redback wrote:The gulf in class was too great - thought the Scottish passion may make for a more even game but the gulf in class was too great - Scotland with only a couple of Celtic players and the rest plying their trade in the Championship just shows the difference. Gone are the days when the spines of great English clubs sides were full of Scots in the mould of Dalglish, Souness, Hansen, McQueen, Strachan, Sharpe, Bremner, McAllister to name a few.
It may have been a great feeling for the travelling England fans but that would be shortlived once they realised they would have been in the East End of Glasgow wearing 3 Lions!

But those fans would have been proud to wear the 3 lions.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Old Redback wrote:The gulf in class was too great - thought the Scottish passion may make for a more even game but the gulf in class was too great - Scotland with only a couple of Celtic players and the rest plying their trade in the Championship just shows the difference. Gone are the days when the spines of great English clubs sides were full of Scots in the mould of Dalglish, Souness, Hansen, McQueen, Strachan, Sharpe, Bremner, McAllister to name a few.
Sad to say, but you are right, I was hoping with Rangers demoted (to far in my opinion) Celtic might use the time to blood more Scottish players, instead they have mostly bought a few European Journeymen and although Scotland has improved of late, we are still a poor replica of our former selves
Are you Bodo in disguise?

MG&Son
Star Player
Star Player

Post by MG&Son »

Scotland have been shite for too long! My grandad couldn't be more disappointment. He believes he will never see them in a major competition again

If ye cannae dae the bouncy you're a Tim!
If ye cannae dae the bouncy you're a Tim!
If ye cannae dae the bouncy, cannae dae the bouncy,
Cannae dae the bouncy you're a Tim!

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

They're not doing TOO bad in a tough-ish group in the Euros.
Ignore this signature

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

I must admit I used to love the close rivalry of the old "Home International Series".

Back in those days all the nations had competitive squads and it was only the dawn of the extreme violence of German funded Neo-Nazi groups and skinheads that brought the series to an end.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

MG&Son wrote:Scotland have been shite for too long! My grandad couldn't be more disappointment. He believes he will never see them in a major competition again
It is very sad the Scottish talent production line has dried up, especially when you look at the great talent they produced prior to the current era.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

ozzie owl wrote:
MG&Son wrote:Scotland have been shite for too long! My grandad couldn't be more disappointment. He believes he will never see them in a major competition again
It is very sad the Scottish talent production line has dried up, especially when you look at the great talent they produced prior to the current era.
:lol: Who could forget 'Ally's Army'?

We were gonna win the Cup, but we really fucked it up, we're the biggest load of shite you've ever seen.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Great to hear the England fans in loud voice.

Annoyed that the fa felt the need to apologise though.

You're British till you die :lol:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Oh and for once the poxy band dos something right

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

Interestingly enough today is the anniversary of the Scotland v Australia game in 85 at Hampden when Davie Cooper (childhood hero of mine and named my dog after him) and Frank McAvennie (played for Celtic and West Ham so probably not any kind of hero to GIAE) scored in a 2-0 win.