Rememberance Day

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Rememberance Day

Post by swannsong »

Found this old cutting about my Uncle Donald Swann (now in his 90s and still playing golf) playing football whilst on millitary service in Burma.

Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

mushrow
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Rememberance Day

Post by mushrow »

Fantastic read Swanny, I know you are very proud of him.
My late Grand father also fought in Burma with the British 14th division, which was under Indian command. He was a dispatch driver and we have a great photo of him sitting on his army motor bike. Not sure if he played football but he was a champion boxer. Who knows they may have even served together!
Dixie Dean was hailed by another Mersey legend, Liverpool’s Bill Shankly, as “belonging in the company of the supremely great, like Beethoven, Rembrandt and Shakespeare.”

60 goals, never to be equalled.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

mushrow wrote:Fantastic read Swanny, I know you are very proud of him.
My late Grand father also fought in Burma with the British 14th division, which was under Indian command. He was a dispatch driver and we have a great photo of him sitting on his army motor bike. Not sure if he played football but he was a champion boxer. Who knows they may have even served together!
Great read Swanny.

My Grandfather served from 1914 to the end of WWI as an ambulance officer. His job was to bring the injured back from the front to the filed hospitals on the Western Front.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Enjoyed the article very much, it took me back to newspaper reports about my Father that my Mum collected during WW11.

Dad was a star player on the left wing for the Navy team and scored numerous goals against local teams when his ship's spent time ashore all around the world.

He was also a Navy Boxing Champion, despite being only five-feet tall he was strong as an ox.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Currently reading "Cruiser" by Mike Carlton excellent book about the HMAS Perth in WW Two.