LFC Legends

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

mushrow
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: LFC Legends

Post by mushrow »

JBJBJB wrote:Rush was my favorite
Yep, what a striker! Happiest day of my life when he finally retired. :wink: His derby scoring record was amazing.
Dixie Dean was hailed by another Mersey legend, Liverpool’s Bill Shankly, as “belonging in the company of the supremely great, like Beethoven, Rembrandt and Shakespeare.”

60 goals, never to be equalled.

Stiglitz
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Re: LFC Legends

Post by Stiglitz »

Love Didi.

“After all of the hurly-burly and the high drama that had gone on out on the pitch, when we got back to the dressing room everything went strangely quiet. There was a hushed atmosphere.

“I sat reflecting for a moment, when I saw the Liverpool chairman David Moores come in. He had a big smile on his face and tears were running down his cheeks.

“I watched as he made his way across the room, shaking hands and hugging people as he went along. When he got within earshot I leaned over to him and said, ‘chairman, I need to see you in my office for a moment.’ I gave a surreptitious nod towards the showers.

“He stood with me in the shower room looking confused, but he tolerated my odd behaviour. We had become pals because we had something in common. We were the only two people in the club who smoked. Having bundled him in I said, ‘chairman, I need a cigarette; quick, let me have one of yours.’ He looked at me as if I had asked him to let Milan take the cup home. ‘But Kaiser,’ he said, with the whispered sense of urgency of a naughty schoolboy, as if he would be in trouble if anyone heard, ‘I can’t do that. What if Rafa comes in?’

“Unbelievable. I was now speaking with a whispered sense of urgency, but more because I was gasping for a cigarette than through fear of being found out. ‘Chairman,’ I said, ‘you own this ****** club. Remember? If he comes in you just say “Kaiser’s having a cigarette” and we take it from there. OK?’

“He reluctantly agreed and pulled out his pack of cigarettes. Eventually, I stepped into a shower cubicle and the chairman lit both of our cigarettes. We both took a long, long drag and then we just looked at each other for what seemed like an age, him with tears running down his cheeks, shaking so badly that the ash from his cigarette was falling to the floor at will. We stood looking at each other in total disbelief.

“Not a word was spoken. Because there were no words that could describe what it was that we were feeling.”