Why do you support your club?

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

wizard
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Why do you support your club?

Post by wizard »

Dunno if this has been done before or not, but I'd just like to know why people support the club that they do.

Most people weren't born near their club of choice (I certainly wasn't born in Nottingham), so there must be something else!

Me, Nottingham Forest. First game of English football I watched was the 91 FA Cup Final, Forest vs Spurs.
I picked Forest to be my team and they lost, and have been losing ever since.

getborn
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Why do you support your club?

Post by getborn »

Napoli, birthplace of my parents.

It's not been easy but it's worth the pain.

#ForzaNapoli

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

getborn wrote:Napoli, birthplace of my parents.

It's not been easy but it's worth the pain.

#ForzaNapoli
Dad born in a village that has no team!!! Napoli the capital of region hence the support and fell in love with it at age 7. Still follow the regional side closely (benevento)

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

For me it was watching my Home Town club, Blackpool, win the 1953 FA Cup Final against Bolton Wanderers (aged three and a half) and I became a Lifetime supporter.
My Godfather, Harry Johnstone, was Captain of the team.

When my Dad's mate, Don Revie, who he used to room with as an Apprentice before WW2 ( and who I called Uncle Don ), took over as Manger of Leeds united I became a supporter of them as well and have supported them ever since.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Dad's influence.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Old Master wrote:For me it was watching my Home Town club, Blackpool, win the 1953 FA Cup Final against Bolton Wanderers (aged three and a half) and I became a Lifetime supporter.

When my Dad's mate, Don Revie, who he used to room with as an Apprentice before WW2 ( and who I called Uncle Don ), took over as Manger of Leeds united I became a supporter of them as well and have supported them ever since.
You must be related to ozzie owl.
Time for some righteous indignation

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Stitch This wrote:
Old Master wrote:For me it was watching my Home Town club, Blackpool, win the 1953 FA Cup Final against Bolton Wanderers (aged three and a half) and I became a Lifetime supporter.

Born in Sheffield , divided house two blades ,two Owls.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

ozzie owl wrote:
Stitch This wrote:

Born in Sheffield , divided house two blades ,two Owls.
What about all the other clubs?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

For the only decent reason, my local side.

wizard
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by wizard »

God is an Englishman wrote:For the only decent reason, my local side.
For local clubs, I kind of agree. Although I think supporting the team your family supports, even if it is from a different area, is ok.

Lots of Australian's (like myself) come from families that have no footballing history. My parents never liked soccer and I had to choose my own team. For that I don't think there is a right or wrong reason..

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

wizard wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:For the only decent reason, my local side.
For local clubs, I kind of agree. Although I think supporting the team your family supports, even if it is from a different area, is ok.

Lots of Australian's (like myself) come from families that have no footballing history. My parents never liked soccer and I had to choose my own team. For that I don't think there is a right or wrong reason..

Then it should be an Adelaide team. No family link, not from there - just another on the band wagon.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

I never understand why people think they have a right to tell someone else who they can and can't support.

I followed Inter as a kid as I fell in love with Ronaldo.

I also follow Man Utd, to begin with just to piss off my mates that all followed Liverpool as I didn't take the EPL very seriously but with the growth of it I paid more attention to the league and got into Man Utd more.

I've been to see both clubs play at their impressive stadia, I guess I probably consider myself more of a follower of them then a die hard fan but I definitely fit that category with my support of AU!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

I never understand how people can "support' a side they have no link to. I could never just jump on a bandwagon.

Then again most on here aren't real supporters anyway.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Stuckey wrote:I followed Inter as a kid as I fell in love with Ronaldo.
That's just plain embarrassing.

Insider Trading
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Insider Trading »

Look who you're tlking to.

★★★
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ★★★ »

God is an Englishman wrote:my local side.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

God is an Englishman wrote:I never understand how people can "support' a side they have no link to. I could never just jump on a bandwagon.

Just because people don't live in an area the club is based doesn't mean they have no link to it.
I grew up idolising Ronaldo. I'd watch him play then run out to the back yard and attempt to replicate what he did. That's my link. If we go by your theory then every Socka bashing bogan in Adelaide is a better supporter of AUFC then you are of Millwall because they live near where the club plays where as you don't.

★★★
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ★★★ »

Keep digging that hole.

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

When Man U started winning lots of games I decided to choose them so I could go to school and gloat about how good I am because they won the league. This of course means nobody is better than me.
Conveniently, my Grandad went to Uni in Manchester, so I have a link to the city. This is so handy now that I support City so I can go into work and gloat about how good I am because they won the league.

★★★
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ★★★ »

I know who you have your eye on.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Stuckey wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:I never understand how people can "support' a side they have no link to. I could never just jump on a bandwagon.

Just because people don't live in an area the club is based doesn't mean they have no link to it.
I grew up idolising Ronaldo. I'd watch him play then run out to the back yard and attempt to replicate what he did. That's my link. If we go by your theory then every Socka bashing bogan in Adelaide is a better supporter of AUFC then you are of Millwall because they live near where the club plays where as you don't.
Where you live is irrelevant, it's how much you attend. So, if an AU supporter only supports 1 team (which is the maximum possible) and goes to more games than me . Then , yes he wins.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Stuckey wrote:

Where you live is irrelevant, it's how much you attend. So, if an AU supporter only supports 1 team (which is the maximum possible) and goes to more games than me . Then , yes he wins.
Ok so if I go to London on holiday and attend a couple of Millwall games just purely because I'm keen to see some football over there but aren't really fussed who I see, then that makes me a better Millwall fans then you? Even though you could probably list the entire squad where as I'm only aware of the Aussies that play there.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Stuckey wrote: Ok so if I go to London on holiday and attend a couple of Millwall games just purely because I'm keen to see some football over there but aren't really fussed who I see, then that makes me a better Millwall fans then you? Even though you could probably list the entire squad where as I'm only aware of the Aussies that play there.
No because you wouldn't be supporting them. I would have thought that was obvious.

Good luck at the games though, hope you enjoy the concept in England of actually having an atmosphere at our games.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

My brother, sister and cousins in my Grandma's front garden....across the road (Leeds Road) is the old Huddersfield Leeds Road ground.
I was born in Huddersfield and have followed them (painfully) since I can remember....
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Stuckey wrote: Ok so if I go to London on holiday and attend a couple of Millwall games just purely because I'm keen to see some football over there but aren't really fussed who I see, then that makes me a better Millwall fans then you? Even though you could probably list the entire squad where as I'm only aware of the Aussies that play there.
No because you wouldn't be supporting them. I would have thought that was obvious.

Good luck at the games though, hope you enjoy the concept in England of actually having an atmosphere at our games.
What happens if after the first match I enjoy it so much I become a fan of the club?

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

swannsong wrote:Image

My brother, sister and cousins in my Grandma's front garden....across the road (Leeds Road) is the old Huddersfield Leeds Road ground.
I was born in Huddersfield and have followed them (painfully) since I can remember....
So you obviously didn't live opposite the ground.

bandwagoner :P

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Stitch This wrote:
swannsong wrote:Image

So you obviously didn't live opposite the ground.

bandwagoner :P
PS- Born and lived in Huddersfield until becoming a boat person heading for Australia...
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Stitch This wrote:

Owls only for me in England not too complicated.

As for my relatives pretty much all Sheff Utd fans .

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ozzie owl wrote:
Stitch This wrote:

Owls only for me in England not too complicated.

As for my relatives pretty much all Sheff Utd fans .
Yeah, but how many outside of England. You can't even settle on a country to support.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Continuing the topic.

First time you saw your team play live?

1967 : Sheff Wed v Leeds at Hillsborough.