Why do you support your club?

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

★★★
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Why do you support your club?

Post by ★★★ »

Nice deflection

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

ozzie owl wrote:Continuing the topic.

First time you saw your team play live?

1967 : Sheff Wed v Leeds at Hillsborough.
What about all the other teams?

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

God is an Englishman wrote:

What about all the other teams?[/quote

Swannee when did you first see Huddersfield play?

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

ozzie owl wrote:

What about all the other teams?[/quote

Swannee when did you first see Huddersfield play?
Not sure up until We left the UK...I was only 3....saw 2 games when I went over in 1998...a Cup game v Wimbledon and not sure of the league game...
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Dad took me to a Polonia home game in 1971, when I was 7. We beat Cumberland 3-1

Was an impressive crowd which I hadnt really experienced before (apart from the Christmas Pageant in town) and just remembered I liked it and still cant keep away from the place to this day.
Ignore this signature

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Stuckey wrote: Ok so if I go to London on holiday and attend a couple of Millwall games just purely because I'm keen to see some football over there but aren't really fussed who I see.
Going to Millwall to see football? I wonder if anyone has ever actually done that

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

N5 1BH wrote:
Stuckey wrote: Ok so if I go to London on holiday and attend a couple of Millwall games just purely because I'm keen to see some football over there but aren't really fussed who I see.
Going to Millwall to see football? I wonder if anyone has ever actually done that

I took a couple of Adelaide boys there for a game a few years back and they loved it.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

N5 1BH wrote:

I took a couple of Adelaide boys there for a game a few years back and they loved it.
Due to Millwall mostly being crap I only got to go as a Gooner to a couple of league games in the late 80s and a few cup games a bit later if I remember right. There was a great pub in New Cross called the Venue, had some top bands. Occasionally we'd go down and watch millwall before going to the pub.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

The Venue is still there but a bit of a dive now.

Been to Highbury a few times, loved our 2-0 win in 94. That was the last time we played, went to both the home game and the replay. Been to Emirates once for a c/l game

BruceLee
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BruceLee »

God is an Englishman wrote:I never understand how people can "support' a side they have no link to. I could never just jump on a bandwagon.

Then again most on here aren't real supporters anyway.

That's interesting as my mum was born in England and my dad in Italy. I started supporting my mums and my dads team before there was an Aleague. Now I support Adelaide.

I think if a team means something to you it means something. I'm not saying there isn't bandwagoners who just support a team just for something to brag about.

I'm pretty sure that's what the whole AFL is based on.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

BruceLee wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:I never understand how people can "support' a side they have no link to. I could never just jump on a bandwagon.

That's interesting as my mum was born in England and my dad in Italy. I started supporting my mums and my dads team before there was an Aleague. Now I support Adelaide.

I think if a team means something to you it means something. I'm not saying there isn't bandwagoners who just support a team just for something to brag about.

chablis had a team :shock:

How old were you when you "changed" to adelaide united? If you changed teams then you never really supportted the first two to begin with anyway.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

BruceLee wrote:

How old were you when you "changed" to adelaide united? If you changed teams then you never really supportted the first two to begin with anyway.
Who the shiraz do you think you are? How dare you sit there and judge how and who people support.
People are free to support who they want how they want as long as its support.
You are acting no better then an extremist bashing his religion on any one that will listen.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Stuckey wrote:Who the shiraz do you think you are?
I'm Me.

BruceLee
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BruceLee »

BruceLee wrote:

Well I'm 34 now so early 20s. It seems like you are basing a rigid argument on a loose interpretation of the word support. I don't think support ceases to be support if you decide to support something else. It's really just your opinion which is fair enough I guess.

I do get your point and admire your loyalty but I don't agree.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Well there you have it Bruce, to me how can you have truly supported those teams if you could turn your back on them so easily?

BruceLee
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BruceLee »

God is an Englishman wrote:Well there you have it Bruce, to me how can you have truly supported those teams if you could turn your back on them so easily?
Ah ok now I see where your going. I never stopped supporting those teams. In fact I watched them live recently.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

BruceLee wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Well there you have it Bruce, to me how can you have truly supported those teams if you could turn your back on them so easily?
Ah ok now I see where your going. I never stopped supporting those teams. In fact I watched them live recently.
Then I return to my standard question to people who support 2 teams. Who would you support if they played each other?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Stuckey wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:How old were you when you "changed" to adelaide united? If you changed teams then you never really supportted the first two to begin with anyway.
Who the shiraz do you think you are? How dare you sit there and judge how and who people support.
People are free to support who they want how they want as long as its support.

You are acting no better then an extremist bashing his religion on any one that will listen.
Strange that you forgot this when you were berating Russki and Kosta for their criticism of AU over the AO ticketing fiasco :lol:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

BruceLee wrote:
Then I return to my standard question to people who support 2 teams. Who would you support if they played each other?
You can support more than one team (in the sense that you might go to watch them), but I could only ever have one team in my heart. Back in the 60s and 70s, if Spurs were playing at the other end of the country, we used to go and watch Fulham, you could always get in there, so I have a lingering fondness for them and look out for their results, but if they were playing Spurs there's only one team I want to win.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

I used to do the same with Charlton, wanted them to win but always wanted Millwall to win more.

BruceLee
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BruceLee »

BruceLee wrote:
That's a good question. Have asked myself many times. Adelaide is my home town and local side so I feel that I'm obliged to put them first. Along with my country. Otherwise I guess it's who has given me the most pleasure, I want to repay it with my support - and I do have significant ties to all of those teams.

Look I'll admit it doesn't make a lot of sense but the reality is I was not even really into football until I watched Italia 90 with my dad as a 10yo. I was inspired by baggio and Italy and started supporting Italy, Juve and became more engaged with my mums and grandads team man utd. At this point I barely knew what the Socceroos were. But as my love for the game grew I started following them and watched all of the home wc qualifiers live from 94 onwards.

I know, it's crazy, I pretty much support 5 bloody teams!

Football kept me on the straight and narrow and has been an emotional part of my life. I want my teams to win and support them when they dont. Its something I feel. I don't think it's a black and white issue, but hey maybe you can argue so conclusively that I will be able to stop caring about those teams and save myself some money!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

So you would support Adelaide United over your other side. You would want this other side to lose. Great supporter there.

BruceLee
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BruceLee »

God is an Englishman wrote:So you would support Adelaide United over your other side. You would want this other side to lose. Great supporter there.
Haha ok Mr. Black and white. I guess you are right. Just because you are burdened by supporting a lower league club don't justify it by having such a hard lined semantic driven attitude towards people's support. It's not everyone else's fault your local side is millwall.

All your support is about your ego. Nothing else. Its ok though you can tell yourself your righteous and feel right about being miserable and anal.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

The fact you think I am burdened by it proves my point.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Other than WAH and Olympiakos....Man U.....

In the 70's we only ever had English football to watch on TV (who was the host with the moustache on the BBC???), so even non-English migrants took a keen interest in the English game. Its the 1979 FA Cup Final (first game I can remember), my father was a keen Liverpool fan and for some reason was going for Arsenal....In spite, I chose Man U who were also the underdogs.....that bloody Sunderland with the afro got the winner in the last minute....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

Dickie Davies.

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »

When I saw this topic come up I could see GIAE rubbing his hands together ready to unleash

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote:Other than WAH and Olympiakos....Man U.....

In the 70's we only ever had English football to watch on TV (who was the host with the moustache on the BBC???), so even non-English migrants took a keen interest in the English game. Its the 1979 FA Cup Final (first game I can remember), my father was a keen Liverpool fan and for some reason was going for Arsenal....In spite, I chose Man U who were also the underdogs.....that bloody Sunderland with the afro got the winner in the last minute....
So, who do you support if man u play olympiacos?

sephiroth
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by sephiroth »

define local?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

sephiroth wrote:define local?