FFP is a farce, scrap it and start again.

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

FFP is a farce, scrap it and start again.

Post by ozzie owl »

UEFA and Platini have tried to create an even playing field with FFP, however if anything it has strengthened the big club powers compared to the other clubs.

As it stands no one else can do what Man City or Chelsea have done via their billionaire owners, which non of the less wealthy clubs can truly change the big Euro clubs.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: FFP is a farce, scrap it and start again.

Post by MegaBonus »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

liverpoo supporter??????
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

MegaBonus wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

liverpoo supporter??????
:lol:

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

liverpoo supporter??????
No.

I agree with the concept but not the methology. Why should UEFA draw line in sand and say that from this date forward other club can do what Man City and others have done? It just look like rushed job, that will be challenged and fall over.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

I think that, full of his self importance, the little Napoleon has used the proverbial sledgehammer, but it's not all bad. A benefactor can still spend as much as he wants on building the club, they just can't buy a team and pay them immediately, they have to build a sustainable model first.
Any money spent on infrastructure, training facilities or youth development will not be included
Last edited by Nice One Cyril on Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

liverpoo supporter??????
Not this week, unless he has added another to his growing list. :wink:
Ignore this signature

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Nice One Cyril wrote:I think that, full of his self importance, the little Napoleon has used the proverbial sledgehammer, but it's not all bad. A benefactor can still spend as much as he wants on building the club, they just can buy a team and pay them immediately, they have to build a sustainable model first.
Any money spent on infrastructure, training facilities or youth development will not be included
For this reason I think Man City are going about this very well. They are putting a lot into development set ups. Its just lucky they can also afford to currently buy enough players to win the league as well.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Bomber wrote:

liverpoo supporter??????
Not this week, unless he has added another to his growing list. :wink:
Shoosh a certain forumite mighr find out :wink:

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Stuckey wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:I think that, full of his self importance, the little Napoleon has used the proverbial sledgehammer, but it's not all bad. A benefactor can still spend as much as he wants on building the club, they just can buy a team and pay them immediately, they have to build a sustainable model first.
For this reason I think Man City are going about this very well. They are putting a lot into development set ups. Its just lucky they can also afford to currently buy enough players to win the league as well.

This is what the FFP is supposed to achieve - investment in football as a whole not just the top players.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Old Master wrote:This is what the FFP is supposed to achieve - investment in football as a whole not just the top players.
It might be a by-product, but it wasn't what it was meant to achieve at all, according to Platini. The whole purpose was to stop clubs overspending, not paying suppliers, players etc and going broke.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Old Master wrote:This is what the FFP is supposed to achieve - investment in football as a whole not just the top players.
It might be a by-product, but it wasn't what it was meant to achieve at all, according to Platini. The whole purpose was to stop clubs overspending, not paying suppliers, players etc and going broke.

I think you are misrepresenting his aims.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Old Master wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

I think you are misrepresenting his aims.
I think you're wrong.
"I don’t know where you can have a company which loses €1.7 bn in one year and still survives. Four years ago, the owners of big clubs came to me and said ‘we can’t stop spending – please put in some rules’.’’
The rules are helping. In 2011, there were €57 million (£48 million) overdue payables and 10 clubs referred for sanctioning. In 2012, €30 million was overdue and nine clubs, including Malaga, referred for sanctioning.
"In 2013 only €9 million (£7.7 million) was overdue and no clubs have been referred. “It means that clubs are paying — paying other clubs, paying their players, paying taxes,’’ said Gianni Infantino, Uefa’s general secretary and the detail man to Platini’s broad-sweep approach. “It’s very impressive.’’
It is a small issue, though, when set against club spending on wages, which are still growing, up 6.5 per cent between 2011 and 2012. Encouragingly for Uefa, revenue grew faster, up 6.9 per cent. The aggregate losses for 700 clubs was €1.066 billion for 2011-12 down 36 per cent from €1.67 billion in 2011.
“Clubs have turned the car into the right direction,’’ added Infantino. “This shows concretely the effects of FFP. Clubs are getting the message. What we want to do is help clubs make the system better, more sustainable and we want a smooth transition period. The success of Financial Fair Play will not be measured on how many clubs have been excluded because an exclusion represents a defeat.”
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Was always going to be a joke and teams would find a way round it. They should be able to spend what they want anyway.

How much does lampard cost man city based on ffp?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

God is an Englishman wrote:Was always going to be a joke and teams would find a way round it. They should be able to spend what they want anyway.

100% agree, with the proviso that they pay their way as they go like any other business, not operate in an effective state of insolvency. Companies aren't allowed to do it, so how football clubs got away with it was a mystery.
Danny Blanchflower

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

When has that happened? Football clubs being absolved of insolvency rules?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

The Kop wrote:When has that happened? Football clubs being absolved of insolvency rules?
I didn't say 'absolved', I said "got away with". Leeds and Portsmouth (and others I'm sure) must have been trading insolvently, yet nothing happened to their directors, despite the clubs being very much in the public eye.

It's wrong that any club can gain a competetive advantage by not paying suppliers, tax, etc, and it's obviously not good for the competitions when clubs go broke.

However, those clubs that are lucky (perhaps) to have a rich owner, should not be constrained in what they spend, again with the proviso that the millions they spunk are gifts from the owner, not preferential loans that sit on the balance sheet.
Danny Blanchflower

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Leeds certainly suffered from their insolvency ending up in League 1.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Old Master wrote:Leeds certainly suffered from their insolvency ending up in League 1.
You make it sound as though that was a bad thing.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Nice One Cyril wrote:It's wrong that any club can gain a competetive advantage by not paying suppliers, tax, etc, and it's obviously not good for the competitions when clubs go broke.
Worked for west adelaide

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Nice One Cyril wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Was always going to be a joke and teams would find a way round it. They should be able to spend what they want anyway.

100% agree, with the proviso that they pay their way as they go like any other business, not operate in an effective state of insolvency. Companies aren't allowed to do it, so how football clubs got away with it was a mystery.

If they find another buyer then they can continue so why can't a football club. If I suddenly discover oil on my property then I should be able to spend that money as I choose. If I decide to spend it all on Millwall FC then why shouldn't I be able to.

Cheap Kitchens
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Cheap Kitchens »

Would the oil be yours?
Quote me !

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Poor Quality wrote:Would the oil be yours?

I don't know the complexities of oil ownership but I would say if it's on my land then YES. If not, I have access rights so try getting it without paying me A LOT of money.

After that, who is platini to tell me how I can/can't spend my money.

Poor Quality
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Poor Quality »

Who was asking?
I am often misquoted

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Poor Quality wrote:Who was asking?
This was funny the first time, clever though.

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Nail on head.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

One problem with FFP is that by preventing anyone else doing Man City is thst has in fact created s closed shop for the mega rich club breaking through .

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

ozzie owl wrote:One problem with FFP is that by preventing anyone else doing Man City is thst has in fact created s closed shop for the mega rich club breaking through .
It means the cosy cartel of the established 'big' clubs in Europe, will be largely unchallenged in the future. The sentiment behind it is laudable, but laughable in its implementation by Napoleon Platini.

If a multi billionaire wants to inject cash directly into the first team and is prepared to gift, rather than loan, the club (which he owns anyway) the funds to do so, where is the problem? Nobody is unpaid, and more money is in the game overall.
Danny Blanchflower

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:One problem with FFP is that by preventing anyone else doing Man City is thst has in fact created s closed shop for the mega rich club breaking through .
It means the cosy cartel of the established 'big' clubs in Europe, will be largely unchallenged in the future. The sentiment behind it is laudable, but laughable in its implementation by Napoleon Platini.

If a multi billionaire wants to inject cash directly into the first team and is prepared to gift, rather than loan, the club (which he owns anyway) the funds to do so, where is the problem? Nobody is unpaid, and more money is in the game overall.
I agree sadly UCL will see same old clubs in the last four year after year.