Arsenal 2018/2019

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Arsenal 2014/2015

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Arsenal v West Brom on a Thursday night
It must have been an optical illusion. There were thousands of empty seats and yet the official attendance was recorded as 59,568, which is a few hundred below capacity. In fact, not even the smallest crowd to see a Premier League game at the Emirates Stadium. Officially, there have been seven lower since it was opened in 2006. They count the tickets sold rather than actual people at the game, that's the trick. And it's about as convincing as trying to fool the masses into thinking a top-four finish is like winning a trophy.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Nice One Cyril wrote:Arsenal v West Brom on a Thursday night
It must have been an optical illusion. There were thousands of empty seats and yet the official attendance was recorded as 59,568, which is a few hundred below capacity. In fact, not even the smallest crowd to see a Premier League game at the Emirates Stadium. Officially, there have been seven lower since it was opened in 2006. They count the tickets sold rather than actual people at the game, that's the trick. And it's about as convincing as trying to fool the masses into thinking a top-four finish is like winning a trophy.
As you said, some count every season ticket holder whether they turn up or not. I'm convinced Millwall do quite the opposite and announce attendances of 3 blokes when the place is nearly full, just to save on some tax.

Kosta Utd
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Kosta Utd »

man u will overtake arsenal by seasons end
H _ S T _ K _ buy a vowel?
----------------------------

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Kosta Utd wrote:man u will overtake arsenal by seasons end
I'd like to see both Manchester teams, Liverpool and West Ham all overtake the Goons, but it ain't gonna happen. They've got the easiest of run ins, only the away game at City might trip them up.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

maxin in the shade
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by maxin in the shade »

haywood djablowme wrote:
maxin in the shade wrote:
haywood djablowme wrote:Question to my fellow Gooners... couldn't give a shite what the rest of you have to say :wink:

Would you take 4th place, UCL Football & 3yr contract extension to Mr Wenger
OR
5th place or below and Mr Wenger leaving..??
id take 4th spot, and allow Wenger to see out the remaining year of his contract

no extension though

He's no dummy, and surely he knows his time is nearly up. but give him his final year.

there wont be a change this season anyway. He'll be there for 16/17.
4th place perpetuates more Wenger. It raises the very real issue of another 3 year deal, which in hand will continue to split the fanbase and it will lead to more decay - did you see how empty the Emirates was against Palace.. & I bet tomorrow morning will be even less. Look at us sitting 4th and the fans are not showing up

Is it prestigious to continually fail at the UCL?? Is it useful to hoard in prize money we don't use to progress the club?? Is it elevating us in any way as a football club?? - Arguably no to all of these questions!

Who is more excited this summer.. Arsenal fans or Liverpool fans..?? They have a charismatic leader, their players are fighting for him and there's a freshness at the club... we are stale!!

West Ham moved on Big Sam cause they believed in more than just survival. Liverpool shipped out Rodgers when they caught the slightest whiff of Klopp. Citeh resigned Pellegrini when Pep came onto the market, Spurs dumped club legend Sherwood, Leicester sacked Pearson for Ranieri..?? They all did it for progress

So what are Arsenal doing..??
I agree with everything you've said above

We've certainly grown stale and we've become static with regards to our style of play. it just doesn't have the same effect as it once did and it certainly doesn't give us the advantage it once did either

By all reports, Pep had Arsenal as his preferred option to manage in the EPL (that might have been BS) but if he was available, why not make the switch?
Could you imagine what Klopp could've done with this Arsenal squad and the funds at his disposal? (over 200M by all accounts)

Cause the board (and Kroenke) are happy for Wenger to be in charge, hoard the $$$ and continue to get a UCL spot. That's great - but again, where's the progress?

But I certainly don't think that they'll offer him another 3 year extension. Let him see out his final year and then move him upstairs.
Wenger surely realises his time is up anyway.

I just hope his final season re-establishes his awesome legacy at Arsenal and we don't have another season like this one.

maxin in the shade
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

ozzie owl wrote:Looks like big clean out in the summer according to UK press, with Gibbs, Walcott, Ramsey, Chambers, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Giroud heading for the exit door.
Gibbs - likely

Walcott - yes. its been 10 years. and I don't see him being a first 11 player

Chambers - possibly on loan to get regular first team football.

Ox - im a fan, but again he hasn't shown the consistency required. But I say keep him.

Giroud - gets a lot of undeserved flak IMO. Is he world class? No. But he's better than most people give him credit for.

maxin in the shade
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

id be hoping for a FA Cup win cause I don't see you finishing 4th

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

He didn't say they'd finish fourth, he said they'd overtake Arsenal :wink:
Danny Blanchflower

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
He didn't say they'd finish fourth, he said they'd overtake Arsenal :wink:
To think they (Manu) didn't rate the FA Cup not all that long ago.
Ignore this signature

maxin in the shade
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Cant believe I stayed up and watched that whole game

90 minutes of nothing!

Didn't even seemed like we cared.

At least we got to see Wilshere back on the park.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

maxin in the shade wrote:Cant believe I stayed up and watched that whole game

90 minutes of nothing!

Didn't watch the whole game, but as a neutral the bits I did see had me thinking, "Do these guys actually care?"
Time for some righteous indignation

Kosta Utd
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Kosta Utd »

why not?? 12pts up for grabs and 5 points off 4th

btw odds of an FA cup are better than just a hope

Wayne Kerr
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Wayne Kerr »

As Paul Scholes said "Man Utd should not be happy winning FA cup and finishing fourth, that's what Arsenal do"!
We got Ova' Here?? #ACCUPAHATERS!

Wunkar Fox
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Wunkar Fox »

I'd rather win the FA Cup than not win the FA Cup.
Random roadkill

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Wunkar Fox wrote:I'd rather win the FA Cup than not win the FA Cup.
Didn't Arsenal win the Emirates Cup this season?
Danny Blanchflower

Wunkar Fox
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Wunkar Fox »

No idea. I don't follow it. ut I'd rather win something than nothing.
Random roadkill

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Wunkar Fox wrote:No idea. I don't follow it. ut I'd rather win something than nothing.
I think I remember the open top bus along the Holloway Road and Haywood on here trumpeting the good news :lol:
Danny Blanchflower

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Wunkar Fox wrote:No idea. I don't follow it. ut I'd rather win something than nothing.
I think I remember the open top bus along the Holloway Road and Haywood on here trumpeting the good news :lol:
That was FA Cup success mate, last time your rabble had an open bus was.... :wink:
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

Kosta Utd
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Kosta Utd »

Wunkar Fox wrote:I'd rather win the FA Cup than not win the FA Cup.

also would like to come 4th rather than 5th..

still not 'happy' but would sure be content

got a feeling crunch time for 3rd, 4th and 5th spots will be decided matchday 37 9/5/2016 when Man City host Arsenal

assuming united win all remaining matches, a win for either city or arsenal on this day will put us in 4th spot, whereas a draw would put us 5th.

had a dream last night..

matchday 36
arsenal beat the norwich
city beat southampton
united beat leicester (tough one for all reasons including the fact if leicester win at old trafford they take out the premiership on the day)
united still trail 3rd and 4th by 5 points

matchday 37
either arsenal or city win

man utd beat norwich
united trail 4th spot by 2 points

united play catchup game on the 11th v West Ham - win takes them 4th spot with either arsenal or city trailing by 1 point

all comes down to last game of the season, which united win and a place among europes elite competition. not sure who is gonna miss out but would love to see pep start life in england without champions league in his first season

so let it be written

maxin in the shade
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Leicester are playing for the title this weekend. Man U are playing for 4th.

My money's on Leicester

But I agree, id rather win the FA Cup, than nothing at all.

And I reckon if you asked the Arsenal players if they could be given 4th spot and the season ends now, they'd take it.

We've looked totally disinterested the last two games.

Time to give some youngsters a go. Give Reine- Adelaide, Akpom and Bielik a run.
If they don't get a chance, how will we know if they can cut it? Too young and inexperienced? So was Rashford.

And look what's happened with Iwobi since he was given a chance

Kosta Utd
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Kosta Utd »

Rashfords don't grow on trees. but the good thing for man u is not only the uncovering of Rashford, but also Fosu-Mensah and Borthwick-Jackson

giving youngsters a go will always provide energy but not always a good move, lack of experience can backfire tremendously

btw.. my money is on United.. not only playing for 4th but a spot in champs league

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Danny Blanchflower

maxin in the shade
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I love how the so called 'protest' over Wenger ended up being a whole lot of nothing

More fans were cheering/chanting/singing Wenger's praises than were protesting with their little A4 sheets of paper

Though I have no doubt the majority of Arsenal fans agree that change is needed, I'm glad that they still respect Wenger enough not to get caught up in the BS the likes of Piers Morgan peddles

Not the greatest game either, but a win nonetheless. I think all we need is a draw next week v Man City and we'll have third place secured. Not that that's any sort of achievement, but at this stage of the season, I'll take it.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

maxin in the shade wrote:I love how the so called 'protest' over Wenger ended up being a whole lot of nothing

More fans were cheering/chanting/singing Wenger's praises than were protesting with their little A4 sheets of paper

Though I have no doubt the majority of Arsenal fans agree that change is needed, I'm glad that they still respect Wenger enough not to get caught up in the BS the likes of Piers Morgan peddles

Not the greatest game either, but a win nonetheless. I think all we need is a draw next week v Man City and we'll have third place secured. Not that that's any sort of achievement, but at this stage of the season, I'll take it.
Whilst it's very amusing to see the Goons imploding, it's unthinkable that they would dump their best ever manager. He'll go on his own terms.
Danny Blanchflower

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Big Mac »

Stitch This wrote:
maxin in the shade wrote:Cant believe I stayed up and watched that whole game

90 minutes of nothing!

Didn't watch the whole game, but as a neutral the bits I did see had me thinking, "Do these guys actually care?"
:lol:
Some people tell me that we professional players are soccer slaves. Well, if this is slavery, give me a life sentence.
Bobby Charlton

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

Kosta Utd wrote: assuming united win all remaining matches, a win for either city or arsenal on this day will put us in 4th spot, whereas a draw would put us 5th.

had a dream last night..

matchday 36
arsenal beat the norwich
city beat southampton
united beat leicester (tough one for all reasons including the fact if leicester win at old trafford they take out the premiership on the day)

matchday 37

man utd beat norwich

united play catchup game on the 11th v West Ham - win takes them 4th spot with either arsenal or city trailing by 1 point

all comes down to last game of the season, which united win and a place among europes elite competition. not sure who is gonna miss out but would love to see pep start life in england without champions league in his first season

so let it be written
If Arsenal beat City, and West Ham or Manchester United win all their remaining fixtures, West Ham or Man United will finish 4th.

so let it be written.

Kosta Utd
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Kosta Utd »

pernunz wrote:
Kosta Utd wrote: assuming united win all remaining matches, a win for either city or arsenal on this day will put us in 4th spot, whereas a draw would put us 5th.

had a dream last night..

matchday 36
arsenal beat the norwich
city beat southampton

matchday 37
must win by arsenal over city

man utd beat norwich

so let it be written
If Arsenal beat City, and West Ham or Manchester United win all their remaining fixtures, West Ham or Man United will finish 4th.

so let it be written.
edited for accuracy.. the rest remains the same

so let it be done

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

Alternatively if Manchester City win the Champions League, then 5th place in the Premier League this season will enter the competition (unless Liverpool also win the Europa League)

Kosta Utd
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Kosta Utd »

This may be technically possible there is no way city will win champs league

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

pernunz wrote:

had a dream last night..

matchday 36
arsenal beat the norwich
city beat southampton

matchday 37

man utd beat norwich

so let it be written

so let it be written.
Bearing in mind you claim to support man city and west ham. who would you be supporting?