Balotelli to Liverpool

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Balotelli to Liverpool

Post by The Kop »

It was Chelsea game that killed Liverpool.
Palace was negligible and his tactics were correct to try and close the GD. In the end, lose title by 2 points or lose by GD. Still come 2nd either way.

But Palace makes for better "banter".

The Kings Jesta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by The Kings Jesta »

Derek wrote:Its not about wanting them to win games, everyone wants their team to win! Your previous quote was basically an assumption that they would!
No you assumed that I assumed.
I was stating that losing 3-1 at City is, in the long run, not as bad as some reports had made it out to be. Very few, if any, teams will take points there. I was stating that there (if losing at the home of Chelsea and City, even losing at home to them as well) is still a substantial amount of points up for grabs.
Now, I don't think that that will be the case, LFC winning every other game, but you never know. Arsenal went undefeated for a full season.

And because of that, apparently I am embarrassing myself and simple? Cool, enjoy the fact that Forest have more European cups than you, and even without winning the top division for 24 years, we still have more titles than you. The year after your club went unbeaten, it was LFC that won the UCL with a squad that could only finish 5th in the EPL.

As for Rodgers tactical naivety. No worries. Young manager, in this position as the main guy for the first time, he and the players would have been caught up in the emotion. But if we were naive those games (Chelsea, Palace) what happened when Arsenal came to Anfield?

Derek
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Derek »

Once again comparing Europe to winning the league. We all know that any team can go on a cup run and win something. Only the best win the premier league.......you can only dream of what thats like and i rekon last season is about as close as you will get for many years :wink:

The Kings Jesta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Derek wrote:Once again comparing Europe to winning the league. We all know that any team can go on a cup run and win something. Only the best win the premier league.......you can only dream of what thats like and i rekon last season is about as close as you will get for many years :wink:
The closest you have come since LFC was 2nd in 08/09 was 3rd. So even when we drop off for a few years we still come back and can push closer than Arsenal.
So Blackburn are the best?
It's been 10 years since Arsenal last won the league, you're starting to look a lot like LFC did during the 90s...
We don't need to compare Europe to England, we come out on top in both tallies. By only the best win England, while discounting Europe, are you saying it is harder to win the EPL than the UCL? Pretty sure Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City and even Man Utd would disagree.

Judge Judy
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by Judge Judy »

Let's not forget; football didn't exist before 92. Any league titles you have pre-92 are null and void. Premier League rulez
Ingle Farm Amateur Soccer Club
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ifasc
Facebook: http://facebook.com/ifasc

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

The Kop wrote:It was Chelsea game that killed Liverpool.
Palace was negligible and his tactics were correct to try and close the GD. In the end, lose title by 2 points or lose by GD. Still come 2nd either way.

3-1 with 10 minutes to go, at 3-2 goal difference out the window anyway. At some point you secure the 3 points and take it to the last day. Mourhino would have

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

N5 1BH wrote:
The Kop wrote:It was Chelsea game that killed Liverpool.

3-1 with 10 minutes to go, at 3-2 goal difference out the window anyway. At some point you secure the 3 points and take it to the last day. Mourhino would have
For all Mourinho's tactical ingenuity, the under the radar story of last season is that if Chelsea could beat Norwich and Sunderland at home in their last 2 home games and not been so rigid and defensive they would have won the title.

John Snow
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by John Snow »

Liverpool fans drawing their long bow again and making their excuses coupled with their "history" argument again. YAWN.

The Kings Jesta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Non Liverpool fans talking on Liverpool topics again... claiming history counts for nothing again... misspelling YNWA again.... :wink:

Fact Hunt
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Fact Hunt »

You say YNWA the rest of us YAWN

Del Boca Vista
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Del Boca Vista »

you can tell how good a Liverpool signing is by the amount of old jaded guys on this little forum that come out of the woodwork to post about it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Del Boca Vista wrote:you can tell how good a Liverpool signing is by the amount of old jaded guys on this little forum that come out of the woodwork to post about it :lol: :lol: :lol:
I saw a newspaper article about the transfer and they were debating whether Liverpool will get Super Mario or Stupid Mario. That just about sums it up, he's a £16m gamble.

Got more hair than you though :wink:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Judge Judy
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by Judge Judy »

I'm happy just to have a cheap gamble for once!

PDog
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PDog »

Judge Judy wrote:I'm happy just to have a cheap gamble for once!
Andy Carroll wasnt cheap enough?

El Capitano
Star Player
Star Player

Post by El Capitano »

Cheap? They all add up.

Suarez leaving has completely fucked Liverpool. Instead of building around him or a player like him, your coach decided to play football manager and sign a bunch of randoms.

Balotelli and Sturridge playing together :lol: can't wait.
Feel Good Inc.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

El Capitano wrote:
Cheap? They all add up.

Suarez leaving has completely fucked Liverpool. Instead of building around him or a player like him, your coach decided to play football manager and sign a bunch of randoms.

Surely cannot be worse than Smalling, Evans & Fletcher together :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

The Kings Jesta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

El Capitano wrote:
Cheap? They all add up.

Well they'll get lot's of games to gel together, League cup, FA Cup, UCL, League games. It's nice to have so many opportunities to see our players play...

I'd rather Studge and Balo together than Smalling and Evans...

As for random... Emre Can was an important part of Leverkusen, Moreno was wanted by more than LFC this season, Manquillo played for the Spanish champions, Lovren was one of the best CB in the EPL last year, Lallana was capt of Soton and a full England international, Lambert was one of the highest scoring englishmen in the EPL and a good 3rd choice ST, and Markovic is one of the brightest young talents in Europe. Last year we signed a bunch of randoms (Aspas, Alberto et al) and we finished 2nd... Hopefully the rest of the EPL underestimate the ability of the players bought in like you have.

And no pressure on Di Maria either, British record, Man U #7, in to a team just dumped from the league cup by a team he's probably never even heard of. Will be interesting to see how Rooney, RVP, Mata, Di Maria, Herrera, Fletcher all fit together. All at the expense of the emerging Januzaj, and Zaha who has gone back to Palace.

El Capitano
Star Player
Star Player

Post by El Capitano »

Those are signings a club like Spurs make.

Maybe we can sign one of your 7 centre backs.
Feel Good Inc.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

El Capitano wrote:Those are signings a club like Spurs make.

Lord knows, you need one :lol:
Danny Blanchflower

Jonny Lidon
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Jonny Lidon »

El Capitano wrote:Those are signings a club like Spurs make.

Or spend loads of money on a plyer who can't enter the country.

Or buy a player who didn't want to leave Spain

Or spend shed loads of money on an uncapped player, no one else really wanted

Or you could get a LB who can't control his diet.

Then you have a manager who wants to sell his players, but no one actually wants to buy them!!!

UTD are officially the laughing stock at present of the English game.

Del Boca Vista
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Del Boca Vista »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Del Boca Vista wrote:you can tell how good a Liverpool signing is by the amount of old jaded guys on this little forum that come out of the woodwork to post about it :lol: :lol: :lol:
I saw a newspaper article about the transfer and they were debating whether Liverpool will get Super Mario or Stupid Mario. That just about sums it up, he's a £16m gamble.

Got more hair than you though :wink:
just to clarify i'm a Liverpool man!! i was talking about all the old jaded manc fans that only post about Liverpool :D the more they try to put us down, the more scared you know they are!

honestly what a rabble, they just spend huge amounts of money on marquee signings to give their brainless drone fans something to brag about, it's the new york yankees mentality, their big dumb fans just wanna see big dumb money spent.

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »

Transfer fee was good. Just wonder what his salary is

Kim Kallstrom
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Kim Kallstrom »

only good thing to come from the game last night https://vine.co/v/OBrUWmlpDLF

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Wish we could play Tot'nem every week. :wink:
Ignore this signature

The Kings Jesta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Kim Kallstrom wrote:only good thing to come from the game last night https://vine.co/v/OBrUWmlpDLF
The only good thing for your lot was the lack of action taken against Dier.
The good thing about that for us was Balo got back up and kept playing.
But the best part of the game was... wait there were 3 best parts... and Townsend was also very good for us too...

Good to see Moreno bounce back straight away after coping flak against City. His goal reminded me of when we first signed Riise, and the runs he would make down the left (and they both wear 18).

Judge Judy
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by Judge Judy »

@ruud no idea re: salary.. don't think it'd be anything too crazy

Mario had a pretty quiet game, not bad for his first hitout, could've easily had one or two goals. He's got a bit of Lucas about him though, giving away needless, silly fouls.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

The Kings Jesta wrote:
Kim Kallstrom wrote:only good thing to come from the game last night https://vine.co/v/OBrUWmlpDLF
But the best part of the game was... wait there were 3 best parts... and Townsend was also very good for us too...

Good to see Moreno bounce back straight away after coping flak against City. His goal reminded me of when we first signed Riise, and the runs he would make down the left (and they both wear 18).
Yep, not sure how Dier avoided a yellow card for that and wasn't his finest game, giving a penalty away as well. Although Allen blatantly dived, Dier was unbelievably stupid to wave an arm at him like that. That killed the game but I don't think it was going to change the result. A shame Phil Dowd wasn't consistent enough to award a penalty to Adebayor when his shirt was obviously being pulled. If you're going to give soft pens, give 'em both ways.

Liverpool remind me a bit of the United team of the 90s. They're pragmatic enough to break up any opposition play by collecting a yellow card, knowing that they can replace the player the following week and it's very effective.
Danny Blanchflower

The Kings Jesta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Nice One Cyril wrote:
The Kings Jesta wrote:

Yep, not sure how Dier avoided a yellow card for that and wasn't his finest game, giving a penalty away as well. Although Allen blatantly dived, Dier was unbelievably stupid to wave an arm at him like that. That killed the game but I don't think it was going to change the result. A shame Phil Dowd wasn't consistent enough to award a penalty to Adebayor when his shirt was obviously being pulled. If you're going to give soft pens, give 'em both ways.

Liverpool remind me a bit of the United team of the 90s. They're pragmatic enough to break up any opposition play by collecting a yellow card, knowing that they can replace the player the following week and it's very effective.
I agree with the Ade pen. Certainly a shirt pull, and by laws of the game is a pen. Not sure, in real time, how much Dowd would have seen, or his assistants as the replay shown was at a far more advantageous angel for TV viewing. While Allen went down "soft", Dier is quickly learning the level he needs to get to, and that was, as you said NOC, a stupid place to wrap an arm around someone.
Agree with the "pragmatic" assessment too. It was nice to see us actually have some nous about us and deny any chance for Spurs to get back in the game. Too often (see palace last year), been too naive in those last 15mins, relaxed and let a team who had no chance, get their tails up.
If Lovren can individually play like that each week, and the CB pairing can sort out their communication, we may see LFC return to the top three in least goals conceded like we used to be. Which can only be a good thing.

East Boy
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by East Boy »

Sakho scares me when he tries to play out from the back. I give him credit, he obviously has been told to do it. There was 2 or 3 balls they played into the center mids, they had no where to go, someone up their clacker & fizzed it at them.
Good 3 points and the first 6 games are important to build & just get 3 points as much as possible.

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by totsreds08 »

I am loving Moreno so far. One little mistake vs City but he has been solid so far. He has impressed me the most of our new signings however it is still early days.
Lovren worries me when we play when He runs forward to attack the ball but leaves a gap behind that doesn't get filled by his partner. We have to work on that. Good to have some depth for once too.