The Yanks are coming!

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

The Yanks are coming!

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: The Yanks are coming!

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

Thats a good read.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

I wonder where they'll go next to aid growth of the game. I feel NYCFC will be a big boost. Maybe other clubs will follow MCFC's lead. Although I hear its a US$100m entry fee.

With it being a 7 hour flight from London to New York I wonder if an Atlantic league could be set up? I would presume big leagues like EPL and La Liga wouldn't be part but maybe combining the Scottish league and a couple of the other mid-sized leagues of a cup would interest US fans.

But as I said before the real barrier stopping more US people getting behind Socker is diving and faking injury. Once FIFA start to work on cutting that out a lot more 'mainstream' Americans will stop taking the piss out of socker.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Stuckey wrote:I wonder where they'll go next to aid growth of the game. I feel NYCFC will be a big boost. Maybe other clubs will follow MCFC's lead. Although I hear its a US$100m entry fee.

With it being a 7 hour flight from London to New York I wonder if an Atlantic league could be set up? I would presume big leagues like EPL and La Liga wouldn't be part but maybe combining the Scottish league and a couple of the other mid-sized leagues of a cup would interest US fans.

But as I said before the real barrier stopping more US people getting behind Socker is diving and faking injury. Once FIFA start to work on cutting that out a lot more 'mainstream' Americans will stop taking the piss out of socker.

FIFA regularly advises referees to cut out diving but they rarely do it due to fear of being abused by supporters and berated in the press - the very people who complain most about it.

There really is a case for the Fourth Official to be able to view incidents on video and advise the Match Official of deliberate cheating.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Old Master wrote:
Stuckey wrote:I wonder where they'll go next to aid growth of the game. I feel NYCFC will be a big boost. Maybe other clubs will follow MCFC's lead. Although I hear its a US$100m entry fee.

FIFA regularly advises referees to cut out diving but they rarely do it due to fear of being abused by supporters and berated in the press - the very people who complain most about it.

There really is a case for the Fourth Official to be able to view incidents on video and advise the Match Official of deliberate cheating.
Considering some of the things FIFA do. I doubt they give a cabernet what fans or sceptical media say.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

A few stats.

America has nearly 70million adult soccer fans – 15m more than the entire population of England. The figure has increased 44 per cent since the 2006 World Cup.

Liverpool’s game against Manchester City at Yankee Stadium on Wednesday drew a crowd of 49,653, beating the New York Yankees’ biggest home attendance this season of 48,572.

The 109,000 sell-out crowd for Manchester United’s game against Real Madrid in Ann Arbor took the average for their four matches on tour to 77,500.
According to FIFA, there are 24.4million football players in the US – the second highest for a country after China.

The number of players registered to US Youth Soccer grew from 103,432 in 1974 to over 3million in 2012.

The popularity of soccer has grown faster than any other sport in the US since 2006. MLS now has the same number of fans in the 12-17 age bracket as Major League Baseball with 18 per cent. They still lag behind the NFL (39%) and NBA (30%), while ice-hockey is down to eight per cent.

The USA’s World Cup group game against Portugal this summer was the most-watched programme ever on ESPN, excluding American football games. More than 27.5m viewers saw it on ESPN and Univision.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Statler and Waldorf
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Statler and Waldorf »

Liverpool’s game against Manchester City at Yankee Stadium on Wednesday drew a crowd of 49,653, beating the New York Yankees’ biggest home attendance this season of 48,572.

Add the MCG last year.

Does this mean Liverpool are possibly the biggest club in the world? Or they just have more fans who go and watch them?
Whats wrong with you?
Its either indigestion or this forum, and I hope its indigestion
Why?
Because at least I know that will get better in a little while

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Nice One Cyril wrote:A few stats.

America has nearly 70million adult soccer fans – 15m more than the entire population of England. The figure has increased 44 per cent since the 2006 World Cup.

The 109,000 sell-out crowd for Manchester United’s game against Real Madrid in Ann Arbor took the average for their four matches on tour to 77,500.
According to FIFA, there are 24.4million football players in the US – the second highest for a country after China.

The number of players registered to US Youth Soccer grew from 103,432 in 1974 to over 3million in 2012.

The popularity of soccer has grown faster than any other sport in the US since 2006. MLS now has the same number of fans in the 12-17 age bracket as Major League Baseball with 18 per cent. They still lag behind the NFL (39%) and NBA (30%), while ice-hockey is down to eight per cent.

The USA’s World Cup group game against Portugal this summer was the most-watched programme ever on ESPN, excluding American football games. More than 27.5m viewers saw it on ESPN and Univision.
Those numbers are pretty damn amazing.
I feel the proactive nature of football in USA to reach out to fans. Especially online has caught a few other sports on the hop. Its a pity the FFA didn't take more notice. Their online presence is average at best.
I feel the MLS focusing more on keeping current fans happy especially active fans is another leaf the FFA must look at. Shunning and silencing fans will never work long term. FFA must encourage all parties to come together and work towards a goal. I encouraged AU to get in touch with Peter Wilt (former Chicago Fire CEO) a few seasons back for this very reason.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Seattle Sounders just recorded their 100th consecutive sell out match. Pretty good from a club with one of the largest home stadia in the MLS.

The American North West seems to be so great for football growth.

Anyone with experience know why that is?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Stuckey wrote:Seattle Sounders just recorded their 100th consecutive sell out match. Pretty good from a club with one of the largest home stadia in the MLS.

The technical term is, a large population :wink:
Danny Blanchflower

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Stuckey wrote:Seattle Sounders just recorded their 100th consecutive sell out match. Pretty good from a club with one of the largest home stadia in the MLS.

Seattle has about half the population of Adelaide though.

astonvilla91
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by astonvilla91 »

Bacon888 wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

Seattle has about half the population of Adelaide though.
That's their 'CBD' population. Their Metro population is about three times the size.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

I was talking more about the clubs in the North West appear to be going great guns and have great support compared to the rest of USA.