Diving & Grabbing

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Diving & Grabbing

Post by swannsong »

Both alive and prospering at World Cup 2014.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Ginger Pele
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Diving & Grabbing

Post by Ginger Pele »

Its such a shame that great talents have to resort to these kind of tactics just to gain an advantage where their talent alone is good enough... On par with drug cheats as far as I'm concerned....

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

I never have worked out why Robben doesn't get booked more. It's not as if it's not bleedin' obvious when he dives, he throws his arms up and gives the ref that pleading look :lol:

We seem to have forgotten that it's a contact sport and minimal contact doesn't constitute a foul. He falls over if the defenders bootlaces are flapping about.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

I don't understand why FIFA can't take action. Robben came out and said he dived/cheated and he still gets away with it. If FIFA want to seriously get in the US market. They must take action against diving.

getborn
Star Player
Star Player

Post by getborn »

Stuckey wrote:I don't understand why FIFA can't take action. Robben came out and said he dived/cheated and he still gets away with it. If FIFA want to seriously get in the US market. They must take action against diving.
Automatic 1 match ban on video evidence & doubled for a second offence and so on.

Clubs wont bother signing serial divers.

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

In the NBA they fine players for flopping. Pretty ruthless about it too if there's any hint of exaggeration automatic fine.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

getborn wrote:
Stuckey wrote:I don't understand why FIFA can't take action. Robben came out and said he dived/cheated and he still gets away with it. If FIFA want to seriously get in the US market. They must take action against diving.
Automatic 1 match ban on video evidence & doubled for a second offence and so on.

How can you ban someone for a yellow card offence?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

The Kop wrote:In the NBA they fine players for flopping. Pretty ruthless about it too if there's any hint of exaggeration automatic fine.
I bet the fine really worries them, same for Robben. The club would probably pay it somehow anyway.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

God is an Englishman wrote:
getborn wrote:

For bringing the game into disrepute maybe ?

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »

despite what the english media portrays, he wasnt talking about the penalty

getborn
Star Player
Star Player

Post by getborn »

God is an Englishman wrote:
getborn wrote:

You amend the laws of the game.
As far as I know simulation wasn't always a yellow card offence either.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

getborn wrote:
Yes! Make it a straight red and see how often it happens. Yes, you may get some not guilty still get punished initially, but over time surely incidences will abate. Yellows haven't detracted from players doing it, so need to try something else.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

getborn wrote:

Then, I agree completely.

No idea if it was added, but would have been covered by unsportsmanlike like behaviour.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Why is it that there is so much unanimous agreement about this but nothing from FIFA? I mean come on when was the last time everyone on a FN thread agreed?!

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

ruud wrote:
despite what the english media portrays, he wasnt talking about the penalty
Correct, Ruud. Robben was talking about a previous incident in the same game.

But if he had been cautioned for that earlier one, he might not have embellished the fall at the end of the game resulting in a penalty being awarded.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Stuckey wrote:Why is it that there is so much unanimous agreement about this but nothing from FIFA? I mean come on when was the last time everyone on a FN thread agreed?!
But Stuckey, it's not just inaction from FIFA.

Post-match video review to nab divers will need a 75% majority vote at the IFAB to pass.

The still-standing ruling from IFAB the last time it was proposed read "The Board (IFAB) also discussed a proposal from the Scottish FA regarding the use of video evidence to sanction simulation after the game. Although the suggestion was not approved , the IFAB members agreed that simulation is an act of cheating which must be intensely fought and sanctioned during the game.." All Confederations & Member Associations are bound by IFAB's rulings.

So many variables need to be considered in this grey area - the ref's & assistant ref's sight & angle of the incident seen in real time, the speed of the incident, the different view in slow-motion from various cameras, etc etc.

Ruthless media exposure of divers might still be the best deterrent if post-match review is not allowed.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Con M wrote:
Stuckey wrote:Why is it that there is so much unanimous agreement about this but nothing from FIFA? I mean come on when was the last time everyone on a FN thread agreed?!

Post-match video review to nab divers will need a 75% majority vote at the IFAB to pass.

The still-standing ruling from IFAB the last time it was proposed read "The Board (IFAB) also discussed a proposal from the Scottish FA regarding the use of video evidence to sanction simulation after the game. Although the suggestion was not approved , the IFAB members agreed that simulation is an act of cheating which must be intensely fought and sanctioned during the game.." All Confederations & Member Associations are bound by IFAB's rulings.

So many variables need to be considered in this grey area - the ref's & assistant ref's sight & angle of the incident seen in real time, the speed of the incident, the different view in slow-motion from various cameras, etc etc.

Ruthless media exposure of divers might still be the best deterrent if post-match review is not allowed.
Is there an echo in here? :wink:
Danny Blanchflower

Hammer
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Hammer »

IFAB?

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Hammer wrote:IFAB?
I take it you would have googled IFAB by now, Hammer.

International F.A. Board, the sole guardian of the Laws-of-the-Game whose rulings all Confederations & 209 Member Associations have to abide by.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Con M wrote:

I doubt it. The EPL went thru a period of serious debate about diving and simulation last season. Players including English ones were named and shamed. Nothing changed.
Why IFAB didn't approve the sanction should be questioned. Like with goal line technology football seems to drag its feet with the use of technology to aid referee calls. Cricket has used third umpires for well over a decade. Other sports have used match review panels for a long time.
As I said until the game fixes this stain on the game. The game will never be taken seriously in their final frontier of USA.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

swannsong wrote:Both alive and prospering at World Cup 2014.

Time for post match video review, issue retrospective yellows.

I would leave to see this brought on a trial basis on of the big Euro leagues and see how it works. I am sure that after the initial rush of cards , players would get the message.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

ozzie owl wrote:
swannsong wrote:Both alive and prospering at World Cup 2014.

Time for post match video review, issue retrospective yellows.

I would leave to see this brought on a trial basis on of the big Euro leagues and see how it works. I am sure that after the initial rush of cards , players would get the message.
I reckon if they brought it in properly and a couple of games are decided on the back of something like this (eg. Totti in the Italy v Korea 2002 WC game) it will change the entire culture of diving. I just can't believe they have allowed it to go on so long.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

What is inherent in many of the dives- whether there is contact or not, is the belief in the 'diver' that they have been fouled as they make no attempt to regain their feet or the ball.
Another alternative might be to make it possible for referees to award a direct free kick in the box, other than a penalty...ie if someone is fouled wide of the goals-facing away from the goal, with little or no support. ie penalty for denying a goalscoring opportunity rather than just for committing a foul....however, might create more confusion...

wizard
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by wizard »

The only problem with video reviews, is that all games in the competition need to be reviewed with the same consistency.

That's fine in the world cup, but might be a bit tough in the European competitions when maybe not all games are recorded in the same quality.

But something needs to be done about diving, it's cheating.

Maybe persistent divers should be shot.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

wizard wrote:The only problem with video reviews, is that all games in the competition need to be reviewed with the same consistency.

That's fine in the world cup, but might be a bit tough in the European competitions when maybe not all games are recorded in the same quality.

As another forum member statewd earlier - FIFA want to really take hold in the USA then they HAVE to eliminate the diving and the injury faking from the game.

The same applies to Australia, South Africa and Canada - whenever you talk to people from these countries who support other codes why they dislike Football it is always the same reason - diving and injury faking. :oops: :oops: :oops:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

wizard wrote:The only problem with video reviews, is that all games in the competition need to be reviewed with the same consistency.

What is the difference between that and refereeing the game itself. As we see every league is refereed a little different. Especially if you compare national leagues to continental leagues.
swannsong wrote:What is inherent in many of the dives- whether there is contact or not, is the belief in the 'diver' that they have been fouled as they make no attempt to regain their feet or the ball.
Another alternative might be to make it possible for referees to award a direct free kick in the box, other than a penalty...ie if someone is fouled wide of the goals-facing away from the goal, with little or no support. ie penalty for denying a goalscoring opportunity rather than just for committing a foul....however, might create more confusion...
One easy way to police it IMO would be when you look at the tackle and the player being tackled takes another step after the 'contact' then they go down, you can see it is simulation as the 'contact' wasn't the reason for the player losing their balance.

Or in this case authorities just need to see it one more time.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

It's all the fault of the foreigners. :lol: :lol: :lol:

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Seriously though, it is high time FIFA took decisive action and introduced a system where the fourth official has a CCTV that he can refer to and view a replay of contentious issues such as diving and non-contact 'injuries' and inform the Match Official of his opinion of the incident.

It would then be up to the Referee to decide whether to take any action or to stick with his original decision.

There should also be a committee of former players to view any contentious actions and report to a tribunal for a decision and any penalty to be imposed.

We seriously have to do something about those players who CHEAT - Arjen Robbern was the worst offender - one of his dives looked like he was in a 'Square Dance' when his opponent applied slight pressure to his arm in a tackle. :oops:

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Stuckey wrote:

What is the difference between that and refereeing the game itself. As we see every league is refereed a little different. Especially if you compare national leagues to continental leagues.
swannsong wrote:What is inherent in many of the dives- whether there is contact or not, is the belief in the 'diver' that they have been fouled as they make no attempt to regain their feet or the ball.
One easy way to police it IMO would be when you look at the tackle and the player being tackled takes another step after the 'contact' then they go down, you can see it is simulation as the 'contact' wasn't the reason for the player losing their balance.

Or in this case authorities just need to see it one more time.

What if the player takes 10 steps before falling over?

There needs to be retrospective bookings and make the punishment fit the crime. punishment should match the punishhment the opposition player would have got I'd you'd been succesfull.

Reducing the foreigners in the English game would reduce the numbers as well.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

God is an Englishman

Reducing the foreigners in the English game would reduce the numbers as well.

why would you want to get rid of the English from the EPL?????????????
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill