FIFA not pursuing Racists & Nazis

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

FIFA not pursuing Racists & Nazis

Post by Old Master »

It’s the beautiful game - until ugly fans behave badly. With spectators in blackface and ‘neo-Nazis’ bursting onto the pitch, FIFA’s zero tolerance anti-discrimination policy is being put to the test.
By
Hannah Sinclair Source AFP, AP
26 Jun 2014 - 12:29 PM UPDATED YESTERDAY 8:08 PM

Hailed as the event that stokes the passions of football fans the world over, the World Cup is viewed by many as a unifying showcase of elite sportsmanship. Perhaps that’s why, in 2014, incidents of fan racism have been starkly called out by fellow spectators. People have taken to social media like Twitter and Instagram to brand those in the stands who they deem #racist.

But is the official body, FIFA, doing enough to police racism?

In article 3 of FIFA’s statues the organisation states:

“Discrimination of any kind against a Country, private person or group of people on account of race, skin colour, ethnic, national or social origin, gender, language, religion, political opinion or any other opinion, wealth, birth or any other status, sexual orientation or any other reason is strictly prohibited and punishable by suspension or expulsion.”

FIFA says it won’t bring charges against German fans wearing blackface make-up during a World Cup match against Ghana on Saturday. Fans pictured with blackened faces were reported to FIFA by the anti-discrimination group FARE but it’s been decided that no action will be taken.

During Saturday’s game one spectator, Selma Slim, was so outraged he posted a photo to Instagram.

“So far I’ve counted 8 Germans in blackface. Worst, people are lining up to take pictures with them. Poor form. #Germany #racism #racists,” he wrote.

Despite a growing backlash against it, blackface is still practised in some parts of Germany.

‘Neo-nazis’ on the pitch

Also during the Ghana/Germany match on Saturday a fan with an apparent pro-Nazi message written on his torso invaded the pitch. Ghanian midfielder Sulley Muntari took it upon himself to remove the player. FARE advised FIFA on Monday that the man was a neo-Nazi sympathiser. The slogans on his chest and back included “HH”, signifying Heil Hitler, and “SS”, referring to the Nazi paramilitary unit.

FIFA is yet to rule on this but Brazil’s organising committee spokesman Saint-Clair Milesi has said the man was reportedly from Poland.

“He came running, charged and jumped over the stewards,” said Mr Milesi.

“Such behavior is totally unacceptable. He was taken to the local authorities for the proper measures.”

Russian and Croatian fans have also been spotted in the stand with anti-Semitic and NN symbols throughout the World Cup so far.

Homophobic slurs “not insulting”

FIFA’s disciplinary panel has also cleared Mexico’s Football Association of improper conduct after receiving complaints that some of their fans shouted homophobic chants at opposing goalkeepers. FIFA said its disciplinary panel decided the chant ‘is not considered insulting in this specific context.’

The “iEHHH…PUTO!” chant was shouted by Mexican fans during a match against Cameroon. Historically the chant is an offensive slur for gay men, though some Mexican football fans say the chant ‘is to call out the goalie and call him coward.’
Racism for players

While social media has been used to call out racism during this year’s World Cup, it has also been the cause of racist debate. Controversial star Mario Balotelli has hit out at what he calls ‘racist detractors,’ after a video posted by an Italian on Instagram said: “Mario do you know what the matter is? You’re not Italian at all.. quit it”

Balotelli’s birth parents are Ghanaian but he was born in Italy. On his Twitter page he launched an impassioned defence and said:

"I'm Mario Balotelli, I'm 23 and I didn't choose to be Italian," he said.

"I really wanted it because I was born in ITALY and I've always lived in ITALY. This World Cup meant a lot to me and I'm sad, angry and disappointed with myself.”

Sono Mario Balotelli ho 23 anni e non ho scelto di essere italiano . L ho voluto fortemente perché… http://t.co/JyxztYbMvy

— Mario Balotelli (@FinallyMario) June 25, 2014

It seems that in FIFA there's one rule for some but not for others Black Faces are offensive but not when Germans have them. :oops: :oops: :oops:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Arfa Fuxake
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: FIFA not pursuing Racists & Nazis

Post by Arfa Fuxake »

I don't find it offensive.
You can lead a horse to water but they are bloody hard to drown.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

so painting your face is automatically racist?

Calling a goalkeeper a "coward" is homopohobic?

What punishment should fifa give Germany for a polish man going on the pitch?

Having certain tattoo's is now banned by fifa?

Oh and I don't think balotelli is Italian either. Nothing to do with colour.

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

God is an Englishman wrote:so painting your face is automatically racist?

Born in Italy so that would suggest otherwise.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Old Master wrote:It seems that in FIFA there's one rule for some but not for others Black Faces are offensive but not when Germans have them. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Old Master wrote:This is one of the dangers of allowing Asian (and Arab) millionaires to take over your football club - they want to change everything to suit their own people's values and care little for the history of the club. :roll:
:lol:
Time for some righteous indignation

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

El Pibe D'Oro wrote:

Parentage is more important than location.

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

God is an Englishman wrote:
El Pibe D'Oro wrote:

Parentage is more important than location.
So am I Australian or otherwise because my father wasn't born here??

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

El Pibe D'Oro wrote:So am I Australian or otherwise because my father wasn't born here??

Where was your mother from?

Die Yuppíe Die
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Die Yuppíe Die »

I don't know how many times I've heard this argument but it always fascinates me .... not!
Watching players who have no idea of the LOTG whinge about the officials is half the entertainment

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Why is it that as soon as Balotelli comes in for any criticism in Italy he plays the race card?
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Was he entitled to an italian passport at birth?

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

God is an Englishman wrote:Was he entitled to an italian passport at birth?
He was born in Italy so yes.

My mother was born here, what's that got to do with anything?

Ioannis Rallis
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Ioannis Rallis »

No he wasn't. He didn't adopt italian citizenship until 2008.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

El Pibe D'Oro wrote:

I think you'll find he wasn't.

Oh and a little clue, your mother is one of your parents.

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

El Pibe D'Oro wrote:So am I Australian or otherwise because my father wasn't born here??

Where was your mother from?
Why are you asking him that? Why does that matter when parentage is more important, ie the grandparents nationality. Oh hold on how do they get their nationality? Oh from their parents that's right. But what about their parents, where were they from? Oh that's right that's irrelevant because parentage is more important! What a laugh. You're English because your parents are English. I guess living there their whole lives doesn't make them English, their parents living there makes them English. :lol:

There are also plenty of people eligible for multiple passports at birth. But you can only ever be born in one country.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

You can be born in England and not be entitled to a British passport but have an English parent and you get the passport.

Parentage is more important.

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

God is an Englishman wrote:You can be born in England and not be entitled to a British passport but have an English parent and you get the passport.

How do the parents get their nationality?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Blueblood wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:You can be born in England and not be entitled to a British passport but have an English parent and you get the passport.

From their parents obviously. I know what you're getting s and it gets complicated to explain but I believe in the parentage, not the grandparentage rule. Even if my grand children are entitled to a British passport, I would not consider them British.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Blueblood wrote:

From their parents obviously. I know what you're getting s and it gets complicated to explain but I believe in the parentage, not the grandparentage rule. Even if my grand children are entitled to a British passport, I would not consider them British.
Well they would be at best half british anyway wouldn't they because their mother is Australian?
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

Blueblood wrote:

So sooner or later, eventually, somebody has to actually live or be born somewhere for their nationality to be passed on then?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Black_Panther wrote:
Well they would be at best half british anyway wouldn't they because their mother is Australian?
Are we still talking about my future grand children as they might be 75% English for all I know.

Trezegoal #17
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Trezegoal #17 »

El Pibe D'Oro wrote:

I think you'll find he wasn't.

Oh and a little clue, your mother is one of your parents.
Both my parents weren't born here, yet I was born here and as such am an Australian residence and therefore entitled to an Australian Passport. I'm confused, maybe because like all your arguments, this one lacks the basic coherence to make much senese to anybody, except that void between your ears. Balotelli, by right of his birth in Italy, is an Italian resident, and as such is entitled to a passport, whenever he may choose to take it up.

By your logic I'm not Australian, even though all legal documentation states that I am, bloody grateful peanut's like you aren't making the decisions, otherwise I might be declared an immigrant and have to seek citizenship via alternative means, makes me re-think my whole life. :roll:
"What doesn't kill us can only make us stronger"

Kaiser Chefs
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Kaiser Chefs »

Being born in Australia doesn't automatically give someone Australian citizenship.
Bon Appétit

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Trezegoal #17 wrote: Both my parents weren't born here, yet I was born here and as such am an Australian residence and therefore entitled to an Australian Passport. I'm confused, maybe because like all your arguments, this one lacks the basic coherence to make much senese to anybody, except that void between your ears. Balotelli, by right of his birth in Italy, is an Italian resident, and as such is entitled to a passport, whenever he may choose to take it up.

By your logic I'm not Australian, even though all legal documentation states that I am, bloody grateful peanut's like you aren't making the decisions, otherwise I might be declared an immigrant and have to seek citizenship via alternative means, makes me re-think my whole life. :roll:

Being "australian residence" doesn't mean you are entitled to an australian passport. The same as being resident in italy doesn't mean you are entitled to an italian passport.

Balotelli was not entitled to an italian passport at birth. Whether you agree with my opinion is irrelevant, that's a fact.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Kaiser Chefs wrote:Being born in Australia doesn't automatically give someone Australian citizenship.

Precisely.

However, does being born to an australian parent autmoatically give someone Australian citizenship.

Parentage > location. Even the law backs me up on this one.

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

What makes the parents Australian?
And you've not answered my question above yet, c'mon mate unanswered questions etc...

Trezegoal #17
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Trezegoal #17 »

Kaiser Chefs wrote:Being born in Australia doesn't automatically give someone Australian citizenship.

Precisely.

However, does being born to an australian parent autmoatically give someone Australian citizenship.

Parentage > location. Even the law backs me up on this one.
I should have clarified that one parent is a naturalised Australian. But here in lies the issue and you continue to over simplify it. What if the parent in question being an Australian citizen, but born elsewhere, with parents born elsewhere and not Australian citizens, gives birth to a child with a non citizen, the child then recieves citizenship as you confirmed. Now the only link to Austalian citizenship is the naturalisation of one of the parents.

The parent was able to be naturalised and is Australian in the eyes of the law (something which you are keen to use to back your argument) with their parents being from elsewhere, so why doesn't this apply to Balotelli? In the case I mentioned, parentage was not greater than location so why is it okay to select which generations you wish your rule to be applied to.
"What doesn't kill us can only make us stronger"

Kaiser Chefs
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Kaiser Chefs »

Because he has an ancestor that was French and if he didn't draw a line somewhere he'd have to acknowledge he was French.
Bon Appétit

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

This Colombian covered some bases in one go:

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »