Italy Out

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Baresi
Star Player
Star Player

Italy Out

Post by Baresi »

:cry: I knew it was a tough group but probably made it tougher on ourselves.

Uruguay were obviously more hungrier though! :lol:

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: Italy Out

Post by LFTWNG11 »

Prandelli at least had the dignity to resign. Roy is holding onto his job at all costs :lol:

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

LFTWNG11 wrote:Prandelli at least had the dignity to resign. Roy is holding onto his job at all costs :lol:
Didn't a senior Italy official resign as well?

INTERISTA
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by INTERISTA »

LFTWNG11 wrote:Prandelli at least had the dignity to resign. Roy is holding onto his job at all costs :lol:
So he should .. Prandelli made some questionable calls & a lot of second guessing

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

Is there a match topic?

Hows that Diego Godin, what a last couple of months he's had infront of goal for a centre back.
Scored the equaliser at Nou Camp that wins Atletico the title, scores the opener in the CL final, scores the goal that sends Uruguay through to the knockout stages.

wizard
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by wizard »

Was always going to be a danger game for Italy, with them only needing a draw and Uruguay requiring the win.

I thought Italy were fantastic against England, not sure what happened to them after that..

Trezegoal #17
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Trezegoal #17 »

Simply not good enough in the end. Forgetting what happened in the Uruguay game, as surprising as Costa Rica have been, with the quality Italy has they should have beaten them, thus making the last game academic. But instead they turn in that insipid performance only days after beating what I thought was a good England side.

Prandelli needs to shoulder part of the blame, his team selection against Costa Rica was questionable, why bench Verratti for Thiago Motta, if Verratti was well enough to play against England then he is well enought to play Costa Rica. Motta is like watching grass grow and was a poor choice, I would have preffered to see Parolo to be honest. After the first game I understood the need to change the back as Chiellini struggled on the left, but why disrupt the Darmian/Candreva combo down the right hand side that did so well against England. His changes today as well, bringing on Cassano instead of lets say a Cerci to partner Immobile makes little sense, Cerci and Immobile have played a season together, hand in hand in Torino's attacking third, at the very least they may have generated more understanding.

Although our qualification should have been stitched up before today, the Marchisio red card still burns, can't for all understanding see how his challenge was a straight red card. Not in keeping with the refereeing in the tournament thus far.
"What doesn't kill us can only make us stronger"

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

Trezegoal #17 wrote:Simply not good enough in the end. Forgetting what happened in the Uruguay game, as surprising as Costa Rica have been, with the quality Italy has they should have beaten them, thus making the last game academic. But instead they turn in that insipid performance only days after beating what I thought was a good England side.

Prandelli needs to shoulder part of the blame, his team selection against Costa Rica was questionable, why bench Verratti for Thiago Motta, if Verratti was well enough to play against England then he is well enought to play Costa Rica. Motta is like watching grass grow and was a poor choice, I would have preffered to see Parolo to be honest. After the first game I understood the need to change the back as Chiellini struggled on the left, but why disrupt the Darmian/Candreva combo down the right hand side that did so well against England. His changes today as well, bringing on Cassano instead of lets say a Cerci to partner Immobile makes little sense, Cerci and Immobile have played a season together, hand in hand in Torino's attacking third, at the very least they may have generated more understanding.

Although our qualification should have been stitched up before today, the Marchisio red card still burns, can't for all understanding see how his challenge was a straight red card. Not in keeping with the refereeing in the tournament thus far.
Agree with everything but the red. It was halfway up the leg studs up. You could see the referee was waiting to dish something out and he took 2 seconds to make that decision. You have to look at it the other way, if that was Cavani fouling an Italian player I would have asked for red.

Hope Suarez gets the book thrown at him though and LFTWNG11 spot on about Hodgson hanging on to his job, Paul Parker wrote an article on it for Eurosport the other day and said if Italy got knocked out Prandelli would do the honourable thing

El Capitano
Star Player
Star Player

Post by El Capitano »

wizard wrote:I thought Italy were fantastic against England, not sure what happened to them after that..
Nothing happened, England were just poorer.
Feel Good Inc.

Soccer-Mad
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Soccer-Mad »

Italy were poor and England poorer. Thats the truth of it.
Both sides below expectations.

Trezegoal #17
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Trezegoal #17 »

El Pibe D'Oro wrote:
Trezegoal #17 wrote:Simply not good enough in the end. Forgetting what happened in the Uruguay game, as surprising as Costa Rica have been, with the quality Italy has they should have beaten them, thus making the last game academic. But instead they turn in that insipid performance only days after beating what I thought was a good England side.

Agree with everything but the red. It was halfway up the leg studs up. You could see the referee was waiting to dish something out and he took 2 seconds to make that decision. You have to look at it the other way, if that was Cavani fouling an Italian player I would have asked for red.

Hope Suarez gets the book thrown at him though and LFTWNG11 spot on about Hodgson hanging on to his job, Paul Parker wrote an article on it for Eurosport the other day and said if Italy got knocked out Prandelli would do the honourable thing

I can see how the tackle might have looked, but I still believe intent has to factor in somewhere. He has clearly tried to swivel his body around the ball to put himself between the opposition player and the ball, in this natural movement the foot is going to be raised, it just happens that opposition player got in there.

It's not as if it was late by any stretch, the ball was there to be played or controlled, I just believe it was unfortunate contact. Had he got there just before the other player, and planted his foot, no issue, probably would have gotten fouled by the incoming player. As I said in another topic, I can't remember the game but there was a studs up slide tackle front on with contact mid way up the shin, and I believe only a yellow was given. I'm sorry El Pibe even if it was an opposition player I wouldn't agree, Yellow YES, Red NO.

Trezegoal #17
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Trezegoal #17 »

Soccer-Mad wrote:Italy were poor and England poorer. Thats the truth of it.
Both sides below expectations.
I wont confess to have watched every game, but I have watched most of the traditionally big games. In my opinion, the Italy v England was one of the best games I've watched, and no I'm not just saying this becaue we won, but generally the playing standard was quite high, with only England's finishing leaving a little to be desired. The remaining games we were well below our capabilites, but that's just it, whats the good if you can only switch on every so often.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

You can see why Italy were cautious in this game as they didn't want Cavani and Suarez loose on the counter. For the most part it worked, but at the other end the attack was lacklustre. Just looking at the stats, only five shots on target in the final 180 minutes. And that's with generous with attempts the 'keeper doesn't have to do much to save.

Italy were unlucky with incidents in this game, but the performances in the final two matches have not been good enough overall, especially Costa Rica.

A shame that Prandelli leaves on that note, it can't be forgotten what a job he did from the mess he inherited in 2010. That tournament was a disaster, this one more frustrating because the tools were there to at the very least get out of the group stage.

Who to hire, then? Spalletti looks the best option of those who are free (otherwise I'd like Ancelotti).

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

Juventino wrote:You can see why Italy were cautious in this game as they didn't want Cavani and Suarez loose on the counter. For the most part it worked, but at the other end the attack was lacklustre. Just looking at the stats, only five shots on target in the final 180 minutes. And that's with generous with attempts the 'keeper doesn't have to do much to save.

Italy were unlucky with incidents in this game, but the performances in the final two matches have not been good enough overall, especially Costa Rica.

A shame that Prandelli leaves on that note, it can't be forgotten what a job he did from the mess he inherited in 2010. That tournament was a disaster, this one more frustrating because the tools were there to at the very least get out of the group stage.

Who to hire, then? Spalletti looks the best option of those who are free (otherwise I'd like Ancelotti).
Same here Spalletti would be great

Ga Pala
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ga Pala »

Italy not good enough . Prandelli is a great coach IMO. I feel he is the right person and it's a pity he has resigned.
" I used to go Missing a lot- Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss Germany." George Best

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Unbelievable, that's two disastrous world cup group exits in a row for once proud Italy. I think I can remember when they actually had a strong world cup record. Truly sad to see the end of Pirlo but at least Italy still have Balotteli, he won't let them down.

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

Italy's attack was terrible, there front half just lacked that pace, skill and urgency, they could have played for 3 hours against Costa Rica and not scored and same against Uruguay so what does that tell you about England???

Italy should hold there heads in shame, that is 2 world cups in a row that have been booted out in the 1st round, simply and plainly NOT GOOD ENOUGH and the coach would have been sacked if he didnt resign.

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

Balotelli seems to be the whipping boy at the moment.

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

N5 1BH wrote:Unbelievable, that's two disastrous world cup group exits in a row for once proud Italy. I think I can remember when they actually had a strong world cup record. Truly sad to see the end of Pirlo but at least Italy still have Balotteli, he won't let them down.
Did we suddenly lose our 4 World Cup victories?? :clown:

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

youre not claiming the 1 that was rigged and the other, won with the help of the Argentinian 'Oriundi' are you??? :wink: :roll:
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Trezegoal #17
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Trezegoal #17 »

Whilst the seeding selection for the World Cup is at times seen as farcical, it is the current system and football federations are and should be well aware of how it works.

That being said I don't believe the FIGC have placed enough importance on this and done everything in their power to play the system to their advantage. Leading up to a world cup adjustments need to be made to ensure that you put yourself into the best position to gain a spot amongst the top seeds. Of course it does not always mean a favourable draw, but increases the teams chances of drawing maybe even a slightly easier draw. Given that Italy usually build as the tournament progresses, this would ceretainly be beneficial, even if only slightly. The benefits would also extend to playing more quality opposition, allowing the next batch of players to hone their skills and tactics against better teams. I maybe way off base with this, and drawing an easy group on paper, doesn't always ensure progression, as was evident in 2010. Italy's problems are definitely more deep seeded, but even the bi-product of a setup intended to stay as close to the top of the world rankings would have some benefit with development.

Russki Claw
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Russki Claw »

I think the blend of old and young did not blend too well and team did not seem harmonious.
Felt Cerci should have been given more game time, fast, skilful and attacking and just what they needed. defence was okay but not up to usual standards.
Time to move on from Cassano, Motta, Pirlo and look to the future with guys like Destro, Cerci, Immobile, Parolo etc. Pity about Prandelli, can coach but had to resign after that showing.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

The Kop wrote:Balotelli seems to be the whipping boy at the moment.

I don't see why he was one of their better players despite getting little service - a touch of racism perhaps?

I thought after his goal against England that the hate boys might finally leave him alone. :oops:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

MegaBonus wrote:youre not claiming the 1 that was rigged and the other, won with the help of the Argentinian 'Oriundi' are you??? :wink: :roll:
I am claiming all the World Cups the FIFA record books state we won. I believe it says 4?? Do the record books say 4? A simple yes or no answer without your semantics or unproven hearsay will suffice.
Old Master wrote:
The Kop wrote:Balotelli seems to be the whipping boy at the moment.

I don't see why he was one of their better players despite getting little service - a touch of racism perhaps?

I thought after his goal against England that the hate boys might finally leave him alone. :oops:
:clown:

Did you watch Italy play? As much as I love Balo, he was terrible this tournament. Did not work hard enough, did not bring his team-mates into the game and missed some costly guilt edge chances. I follow him on Instagram and Facebook... the crap he was posting on there while on World Cup duty illustrates he was not 100% committed to the cause. One goal against England does make a whole tournament, he has thoroughly deserved his criticism.

getborn
Star Player
Star Player

Post by getborn »

I'm surprised at how can anyone be surprised by Balotelli?

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

I read excerpts of what Buffon said in a media conference post the World Cup and he I agreed with a lot of what he was saying.

In the games I watched of Italy it was the older players who showed more desire and dicisiveness to try and get the result and often it was the younger players such as Ballotelli (who by all accounts was more concerned with his twitter account than his on field requirements) who were treating it like it was a holiday.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

My main gripe with Balotelli vs Uruguay was his lack of effort. Showed no desire to work hard and want the ball. I also have the same gripe about Cassano, who was moving as if he had just ran for 70 minutes and not the five he had been on. Must be a really racist thing there.

Prandelli's reign has overall been positive. It's just he got it wrong these last two games and that cost him and the team dearly. 2010 was an utter disaster that could be seen a mile away. This time around it's frustrating because the team could have gone further.
MegaBonus wrote:youre not claiming the 1 that was rigged and the other, won with the help of the Argentinian 'Oriundi' are you??? :wink: :roll:
That would be the same tournament.

Ga Pala
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ga Pala »

Very well said Juventino. Agree wholeheartedly with all your comments
" I used to go Missing a lot- Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss Germany." George Best

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Felt very sorry for Prandelli. Looks like a good honest man who dragged them up to 2nd at Euro 2012 & 3rd at the 2013 Confed Cup and sort of tamed Mario B.

But his telling exit quote was the following: "There's no hiding it, the national team is disliked. We're the only national team that leaves (for the World Cup) without the support of its own people, who then rely on us to carry the hopes of a nation. We were jeered, whistled at and insulted. We were almost embarrassed to come here".

Pretty telling stuff. Was Cesare Prandelli referring to the training ground incident where Balotelli was heckled, or the disinterest in the Azzurri squad by the tiny crowd which turned up for the farewell warm-up game prior to the World Cup?

Others have said there is much stronger support for club sides in Italy, rather than the priority IMO which should be the National team first, then people's allegiance to their club.

The new Manager and the Authorities are going to have to go on a massive PR drive to get support back to the level that the National Team deserves.

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

The last game was in Perugia where the Renato Curi would only hold a small crowd. I watched the game and it was almost a full house so not sure what you're talking about