Australia v Netherlands

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Australia v Netherlands

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

Aussies dominating the Dutch and this place has faaarken tumbleweeds

admin, shut down this sub forum.
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Australia v Netherlands

Post by Rookie »

Unbelievable performance so far Aussies should have scored ball goes down the other end and Ryan should have done better and bang it's 2-3, oh well still 15 to go can Adam Taggart be the super sub

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

I'm wide awake, although to be fair it's seven in the evening.

One of the best Aussie performances I can remember seeing in recent times.

Not a bad effort against a team that beat Spain 5-1 just a few days ago.

In Ange we trust.
Time for some righteous indignation

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

El Paso del Norte wrote:Aussies dominating the Dutch and this place has faaarken tumbleweeds

admin, shut down this sub forum.
Gutted, absolutely gutted.

Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

swannsong wrote: Gutted, absolutely gutted.
Exactly Swannie, after this exciting game where we should have got something.

But WTF was that from Tommy Oar to Leckie? Could have been 3-2 if he shot or laid a decent ball to Leckie's feet or decent cross to his head.

And just like against Chile, Oar was under instructions to take a left-footer's inswinging free-kicks from the right, yet AGAIN couldn't clear the first defender.

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by totsreds08 »

Well Australia have definitely exceeded my expectations and I'm glad about that. Quality performance from a young team. Well coached and a bit of composure would have seen us grab 2-3 more goals. Absolutely proud of the lads but devastated for them too.
Netherlands aren't that great either. Next World Cup will be better for us!
Is Cahill Australia's greatest? I think so

General Tony Cash
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by General Tony Cash »

Watched the match in a bar full of Dutchies...the look on their faces when Australia hit the lead was priceless. If the Aussies took one of their chances before HT would have been a different result me thinks. Thems the breaks.

BPBC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BPBC »

Gutted. What a performance by the lads. Beaten by a team more clinical in front of goal. Fk me it's going to be a long day but stiff cabernet that was a loss that was worth watching. Timmy Cahill what a legend

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Better than Spain at the moment :P
Time for some righteous indignation

otto62
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by otto62 »

Australia eliminated at the same time as the holders. :lol:
I'm not playing anymore and I'm taking my ball and going home.

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

Sasaki Nozomi wrote:Australia eliminated at the same time as the holders. :lol:

Same happened to Italy in the last world cup!!!

Arfa Fuxake
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Arfa Fuxake »

No, they were eliminated twenty for hours earlier than italy.
You can lead a horse to water but they are bloody hard to drown.

Gabon
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Gabon »

totsreds08 wrote:Well Australia have definitely exceeded my expectations and I'm glad about that. Quality performance from a young team. Well coached and a bit of composure would have seen us grab 2-3 more goals. Absolutely proud of the lads but devastated for them too.
Netherlands aren't that great either. Next World Cup will be better for us!
Is Cahill Australia's greatest? I think so

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Fantastic effort by the boys, major difference was the clinical finishing of RVP and Robben.

We should be very proud of the Australian team so far, and what was the clearly the toughest group.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Much improved performance.

Defence is still very shakey but the attacking belief in the team was good to watch.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

I'm not surprised the defence is shaky. Not one player in the back 5 had played a World Cup finals match before the Chile game. It's inexperienced at the national level.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Gutsy effort but thems the breaks. Keeper could have done better on the last goal. Try Langerak or Eugene for the last game, seeing its effectively a dead rubber?
Anyway, with Tim suspended (why yellows in two separate games gets a full match suspension still bewilders me) and Spain ready to have players shot, I get a feeling Spain might pull it together to save some face. But I'd love to see the Oz at least snatch a point and finish third in the group.
Ignore this signature

DMT
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by DMT »

What a game! Sensational from the Aussies!

Russki Claw
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Russki Claw »

Prior to the WC and seeing our group, I thought we would concede 10 goals from the 3 games and possibly not score.
Well I am as happy with what I have seen so far as can be when you have lost both games. Outplayed Chile and Holland but a lack of experience cost us in both games. I thought the first and third goals were poor to concede and while impressed with Ryan's kicking, I think his shot stopping could improve.

Overall I am proud of how the boys have represented us all and why not do something against Spain to end it all off (We are above them in the group table after all :)

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

Russki Claw wrote:Prior to the WC and seeing our group, I thought we would concede 10 goals from the 3 games and possibly not score.
Well I am as happy with what I have seen so far as can be when you have lost both games. Outplayed Chile and Holland but a lack of experience cost us in both games. I thought the first and third goals were poor to concede and while impressed with Ryan's kicking, I think his shot stopping could improve.

Overall I am proud of how the boys have represented us all and why not do something against Spain to end it all off (We are above them in the group table after all :)
You listen to Craig Foster way too much.

Kosta Utd
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Kosta Utd »

unlucky not to get a point at least out of this game but plenty to hold our heads high and be proud of the boys and proud to be aussie.. yeah no results yet but will be leaving Brasil with a bright future ahead...

bring on the Asian cup and Russia 2018

o yeah and what a faaaarrrkin ripper scored by Cahill.. goal of the tournament so far for sure
H _ S T _ K _ buy a vowel?
----------------------------

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Gee I wish we took Lucash Neill! :lol:

Amazing game amazing effort give Ange another 8 months, in that time hopefully we'll sort our defensive issues out and the Asian Cup is ours!!
Only issues I had was that I wish HT never came, and Tommy Oar was such a massive liability I can't believe Ange left him out there so long. He should have come off at HT. If it was up to me I would have either started him in a central role or not at all.

Its just a pity Leckie only just signed for another Bundesliga 2 side. Surely better clubs would be interested! Hopefully that changes the season following this.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Stuckey wrote:Gee I wish we took Lucash Neill! :lol:

Amazing game amazing effort give Ange another 8 months, in that time hopefully we'll sort our defensive issues out and the Asian Cup is ours!!
Only issues I had was that I wish HT never came, and Tommy Oar was such a massive liability I can't believe Ange left him out there so long. He should have come off at HT. If it was up to me I would have either started him in a central role or not at all.

Its just a pity Leckie only just signed for another Bundesliga 2 side. Surely better clubs would be interested! Hopefully that changes the season following this.
When Robbie Kruse is fit again, he'd be the man for Oar's spot moving forward.
Ignore this signature

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Quote:

"When Robbie Kruse is fit again, he'd be the man for Oar's spot moving forward."

I've never been a real fan of Oar's as he has never lived up to the hype around him so Kruse should certainly take the Left sided spot for the AC Finals.

Overall though the performance of the squad was way above expectations and every player did a good job - some could have been better like Jedinak and Wilkinson who both struggled to take hold of the game but then they were up against world class opponents.

I think Galekovic would have done better with all three goals that Ryan conceded and controlled the defence a little better as well but I hope he gets the chance to prove it against Spain.

Still we have a lot more to look forward to now than we did before the WC kicked off - well done Ange. :D :D :D
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

COYR98
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by COYR98 »

Its just a pity Leckie only just signed for another Bundesliga 2 side. Surely better clubs would be interested! Hopefully that changes the season following this.[/quote]

As far as I'm concerned he could still sign for another club by the end of July. Doesn't FIFA state that you can't play for more than 2 clubs in the same season so he should be fine. Hopefully thats how it is, he's been brilliant all tournament, as has Davidson, will surely get picked up by a better European side.

Russki Claw
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Russki Claw »

LFTWNG11 wrote:
Russki Claw wrote:Prior to the WC and seeing our group, I thought we would concede 10 goals from the 3 games and possibly not score.

Please explain mate? I form my own opinion based on what I saw, you don't agree, perhaps you could explain where and how??

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Bomber wrote:
Stuckey wrote:Gee I wish we took Lucash Neill! :lol:

When Robbie Kruse is fit again, he'd be the man for Oar's spot moving forward.
True. I think Ange could have gone with a couple of other guys. Halloran was good. Bozanic was decent. Vidosic might have played with a cooler head and he has a very good cross on him.
I'm not really sure why Ange goes with Oar on the wing. In the lead up matches he was much better centrally. That's apparently where he plays for Utrecht.

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

Russki Claw wrote:
Please explain mate? I form my own opinion based on what I saw, you don't agree, perhaps you could explain where and how??[/quote]

Not having a crack, but the devastating way Chile played in that opening 20 minutes was more than Australia produced for the rest of the game therefore you can't say they were outplayed. Teams are always going to take the gas off the pedal at 2 nil. Against Holland, they had the first half, Holland had the second half but their superior class got them the win. Again I would not constitute that as being outplayed.

The way commentators (in particular Craig 'cheerleader' Foster) are sprouting that Australia dominated the games and were just unlucky is a fallacy. Simply not good enough in terms of quality. None of that takes away from some of the outstanding individual performances and intent to attack.

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

It's all about opinions.
I thought Oar did alright (but only alright) and has shown he can do more than what he delivered here.
I think he was just a bit overwhelmed by the occasion. Hopefully he'll be better for it.

Oooops, forgot to say ... wow!
I never thought we would play like this at this world cup.
Creating chances, confident in possession, fearless in attack - excellent.
They've done us proud.
It's enough to get me dreaming of a result against Spain.
Last edited by gone on Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stirling District (est 1967) 32 seasons successfully avoiding a Championship then this
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2004 Div 1 & Champion of Champions
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Very impressive performance, and once again unlucky to not get something out of the game. Errors once again proved costly but you can't take away from what was probably the best Socceroos game in a very long time. Ange may not necessarily have superstar players but he knows how to make a team play like a superstar team. Perfect man for the job and I believe he can win us the Asian Cup next year and get us out of the group in 2018 as he continues to develop this team.