Qatar buy the WC?

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Qatar buy the WC?

Post by Nice One Cyril »

This is turning into a dog's breakfast now. I wonder if FIFA realised they'd made a mistake and are now leaking stuff so they can take it away without legal action.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/new ... 417325.ece
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Ofor Fuxake
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Qatar buy the WC?

Post by Ofor Fuxake »

Too late now. The world cup will be tarnished forever.
You can lead a horse to water but they are bloody hard to drown.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Ofor Fuxake wrote:Too late now. The world cup will be tarnished forever.
No one talks about Salt Lake City anymore. Once a major event has begun no one remembers the lead up to it.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nice One Cyril wrote:This is turning into a dog's breakfast now. I wonder if FIFA realised they'd made a mistake and are now leaking stuff so they can take it away without legal action.

Bring it down to Oz, we nearly have enough stadiums already.

Brisbane: 2

Sydney: 3

Melbourne : 3

Adelaide: 1

Perth: 1 and 1 on the way.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

ozzie owl wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:This is turning into a dog's breakfast now. I wonder if FIFA realised they'd made a mistake and are now leaking stuff so they can take it away without legal action.

This would not meet FIFA requirements.

I believe certain requirements include, only 1 city having more than 1 stadium and then only 2 grounds. The preference is also for rectangular stadiums.

So, you're up 6 venues. NOT CLOSE TO ENOUGH! Try again.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

God is an Englishman wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:

I believe certain requirements include, only 1 city having more than 1 stadium and then only 2 grounds. The preference is also for rectangular stadiums.

Have you seen how many Doha is set to include in 2022?

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Juventino wrote:
ozzie owl wrote: Bring it down to Oz, we nearly have enough stadiums already.

Touche, Juventino.

Time to give 2022 to the U.S. of A. Huge stadia, massively successful staging of the 1994 World Cup, and it would help further popularise the game in an advanced nation where soccer-football is not the number 1 sport.

Followed hopefully by Australia for 2026, if the AFL gives FIFA permission.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

All though I would love the WC here and Gallop might go about it differently to Buckley. When we went for the WC the rest of the game was completely forgotten. The HAL really dipped in interest and management over that period. I would rather wait a little longer till we are firmly on our own two feet before going all out on another WC bid.

I'm not too sure that having so many games played at stadia not entirely suited to football would be great. Although if we could do something like this to Adelaide Oval it could be a bit of a winner

I'm mainly just talking about putting temp seating over the hill and bringing it on to the ground. That way the pitch can be positioned closer to the Riverbank stand.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

No I haven't but following the idea of a corrupt bid is hardly a great start.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Stuckey wrote:All though I would love the WC here and Gallop might go about it differently to Buckley. When we went for the WC the rest of the game was completely forgotten. The HAL really dipped in interest and management over that period. I would rather wait a little longer till we are firmly on our own two feet before going all out on another WC bid.

I'm not too sure that having so many games played at stadia not entirely suited to football would be great. Although if we could do something like this to Adelaide Oval it could be a bit of a winner

I'm mainly just talking about putting temp seating over the hill and bringing it on to the ground. That way the pitch can be positioned closer to the Riverbank stand.
I like those graphics of temporary reconfigurable seating at Adelaide SACA/Crowval, Stuckey.

But the SACA/Camry Crows/S.M.A. will keep that as a pipe-dream.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Con M wrote:
Stuckey wrote:All though I would love the WC here and Gallop might go about it differently to Buckley. When we went for the WC the rest of the game was completely forgotten. The HAL really dipped in interest and management over that period. I would rather wait a little longer till we are firmly on our own two feet before going all out on another WC bid.

I like those graphics of temporary reconfigurable seating at Adelaide SACA/Crowval, Stuckey.

But the SACA/Camry Crows/S.M.A. will keep that as a pipe-dream.
I think it would be more of a temporary set up then something reconfigurable. If the WC get control of the stadium then I doubt anyone from the AFL will have a say in how its used. I feel the focus of the new Adelaide Oval is to be as versatile and profitable as possible. WC games would be certainly something the SMA would be keen to accommodate.
Hopefully the rumoured friendly in July happens so we can see what a Football game will be like at AO soon.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

If the whole Qatar thing is proved how will FIFA be able to charge any players in the future with match fixing? Bit hypocritical.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

paul merson wrote:If the whole Qatar thing is proved how will FIFA be able to charge any players in the future with match fixing? Bit hypocritical.
Surely everyone involved will have to be removed. How Blatter can slide out of this I will never know. There is no possible way he wouldn't have know this was going on.

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Hope anyone but Qatar end up with it. If they get stripped of it, then there is going to be heads rolled. All that money will be wanted back and as if FIFA/exco members will pay it back

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Who would be able to hold out in court longer, FIFA or QATAR?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

blueblood summed it up perfectly, this just opens up another round of fifa officials being bribed.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Con M wrote:
Juventino wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote: This would not meet FIFA requirements.

Touche, Juventino.

Time to give 2022 to the U.S. of A. Huge stadia, massively successful staging of the 1994 World Cup, and it would help further popularise the game in an advanced nation where soccer-football is not the number 1 sport.

Followed hopefully by Australia for 2026, if the AFL gives FIFA permission.
To me it's not just a stadium issue, we just don't have the infrastructure to put an event like that on in a country our side. Our transport system just about sh(ts itself during state of origin or AFL grand final, imagine that over a longer period of time!
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

The Garcia report into the corruption is due out on 9th June. Hope the FFA had a good explanation as to why it put half million bucks into Warners pocket, among others.
Certainly,the people that Australia was giving money to were very much similar to the people Bin Hammam was giving money to.
Former Football Federation Australia official Bonita Mersiades.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Qatar has one message for the English media:

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Black_Panther wrote: To me it's not just a stadium issue, we just don't have the infrastructure to put an event like that on in a country our side. Our transport system just about sh(ts itself during state of origin or AFL grand final, imagine that over a longer period of time!
That's why hosting events like these can be so great. It gives countries the need to upgrade themselves and improve areas that require it.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Geography will be Australia's biggest hinderance. Sounds great to play in Perth and then have to jump on a plane for hours to play your next game.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

God is an Englishman wrote:Geography will be Australia's biggest hinderance. Sounds great to play in Perth and then have to jump on a plane for hours to play your next game.
USA is larger then Australia.

sin²x + cos²x = 1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sin²x + cos²x = 1 »

As is brazil.
I tend to go off on a tangent

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Stuckey wrote:
Black_Panther wrote: To me it's not just a stadium issue, we just don't have the infrastructure to put an event like that on in a country our side. Our transport system just about sh(ts itself during state of origin or AFL grand final, imagine that over a longer period of time!
That's why hosting events like these can be so great. It gives countries the need to upgrade themselves and improve areas that require it.
Look how well that's gone down in Brazil............

These are monumental changes to infrastructure that are required, Nation Building projects, not just putting on an extra few buses to Adelaide Oval on game day.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Black_Panther wrote:
Stuckey wrote:
Look how well that's gone down in Brazil............

These are monumental changes to infrastructure that are required, Nation Building projects, not just putting on an extra few buses to Adelaide Oval on game day.
Well that comes down to whether countries given tournaments are indeed actually ready at all to host them.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Stuckey wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Geography will be Australia's biggest hinderance. Sounds great to play in Perth and then have to jump on a plane for hours to play your next game.

Cities are closer together though.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Stuckey wrote:

Cities are closer together though.
That doesn't mean the sides won't have to play one game on the East coast then one on the West. Italy played their Semi in New Jersey then played the final in California 4 days later.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Well that was wrong as well then.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

God is an Englishman wrote:Well that was wrong as well then.
It was considered one of the best WCs ever hosted.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Stuckey wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Well that was wrong as well then.
It was considered one of the best WCs ever hosted.

By who?

I remember there being numerous issues. A lot of them around water breaks of games playing in heat .