Here we go again (sigh)

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Here we go again (sigh)

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Pochettino appointed as the new Spurs manager.

I wonder if he'll make it to 2015? :(
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Here we go again (sigh)

Post by Con M »

Levy hands Mauricio a 5-year (!) contract.

Cyril, Pochettino seemed to get some success at Southampton as a tough task-master.

How do you reckon some of the millionaire players at Spurs will handle the brutal double training sessions?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Mauricio Pochettino has decided to join Tottenham so that he could be like his Uncle Juan.

His Uncle Juan died on the Belgrano and he would also like to be on a sinking ship.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Tottenham appoint a manager on a five year deal who can't speak English and has had just one half decent season with Southampton. Did nothing in note in Spain with Espanyol...we wonder why English coaches never get anywhere when a top Prem side offers out a contract like this to someone like him?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Tottenham appoint a manager on a five year deal who can't speak English and has had just one half decent season with Southampton. Did nothing in note in Spain with Espanyol...we wonder why English coaches never get anywhere when a top Prem side offers out a contract like this to someone like him?
Agree, he's completely unproven over any length of time and I'm worried he'll be another Villas Boas, but what English / British coaches were available? I thought when we dumped Harry we got that wrong, having done that, should have gone for Martinez but got that wrong. I hope Levy hasn't stuffed up again.

The really good thing in Pochettino's favour is that at least Lamela will have someone to talk to :lol:

Mauricio Pochettino has decided to join Tottenham so that he could be like his Uncle Juan.

His Uncle Juan died on the Belgrano and he would also like to be on a sinking ship.
:lol:
Funny, but the ship's not sinking. Whether the Captain will be there at the next port is another matter :wink:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Del Boca Vista
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Del Boca Vista »

Weren't Espanyol happy with him though? I'd say he had more than a half decent season with Southampton too.. They were the best team outside the top six or seven, great to watch all year.. I would've liked to see him stay another season but good luck to him.

I remember when last season began he said Southampton are aiming for a Champions League position, because why aim any lower? I liked his style and he did back it up.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Eh? GMAE, how did the Malvinas/Falklands thing get into this football thread?

ps, while we're at it though, had to laugh at the report that the Foreign Office recently had to have a go at the Home Office for referring to the Falklands as the Malvinas!

Meanwhile Cyril or anyone - care to comment on Pochettino's double training sessions turning Southampton into the fittest, most high-pressing teams in the EPL? And how Spur's existing millionaire players will cope with those sessions?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Con M wrote:Eh? GMAE, how did the Malvinas/Falklands thing get into this football thread?

ps, while we're at it though, had to laugh at the report that the Foreign Office recently had to have a go at the Home Office for referring to the Falklands as the Malvinas!

Meanwhile Cyril or anyone - care to comment on Pochettino's double training sessions turning Southampton into the fittest, most high-pressing teams in the EPL? And how Spur's existing millionaire players will cope with those sessions?
:lol: You think that all of the Saints' players are on the breadline?
Danny Blanchflower

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

A drowning man clutches at straws too. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Con M wrote:Eh? GMAE, how did the Malvinas/Falklands thing get into this football thread?

quite simply because I posted a joke I had heard linked to this announcement. However, what are these Malvinas things you refer to?

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

quite simply because I posted a joke I had heard linked to this announcement. However, what are these Malvinas things you refer to?
Sorry, I couldn't see how you connected this football issue about the appointment of a manager with the Falklands/Malvinas controversy.

But back to Pochettino, those double training sessions and high-pressing style might really end up paying off.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Con M wrote:

Sorry, I couldn't see how you connected this football issue about the appointment of a manager with the Falklands/Malvinas controversy.

But back to Pochettino, those double training sessions and high-pressing style might really end up paying off.
How is it a controversy?

The people there identify themselves as British the only controversy is that Argentina continues to claim something that isn't theirs.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Black_Panther wrote:
How is it a controversy?

The people there identify themselves as British the only controversy is that Argentina continues to claim something that isn't theirs.
I can't believe we agree on something.

Kim Kallstrom
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Kim Kallstrom »

Let's hope he doesn't make the same mistakes as AVB.. i.e. playing a high line with slow defenders
Also hope this convinces some of Southampton's stars to join us, from what I've read they all seem to love the guy.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Black_Panther wrote:
How is it a controversy?

You had to get something right eventually......
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Black_Panther wrote:
How is it a controversy?

I can't believe I do too.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

Hopefully they buy Lallana. A central attacking midfielder is exactly what they need.

Kim Kallstrom
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Kim Kallstrom »

LFTWNG11 wrote:Hopefully they buy Lallana. A central attacking midfielder is exactly what they need.
Eriksen..

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

Kim Kallstrom wrote:
LFTWNG11 wrote:Hopefully they buy Lallana. A central attacking midfielder is exactly what they need.
Eriksen..
Lamela. Sigurosson. Holtby. Dembele. Like I said, I hope they spend a big portion of their transfer budget on Lallana.

BTAC
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BTAC »

Kim Kallstrom wrote:
Eriksen..
*woosh*
haywood djablowme wrote: I believe Arsenal have improved more than the Poo! (we are only 5 pts behind you)

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Old Master wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote: I can't believe we agree on something.
Well, I'm so happy you trio agreed. But I was after your comment on the thread topic (Pochettino at Spurs) and whether you think his double training sessions and the highest pressing game would work.

GMAE digressed with the Belgrano sinking & I asked how was the Falklands/Malvinas thing connected to this sporting issue. I said controversy because for over 500 years those desolate isles have been conquered, abandoned, reconquered & envied by the French, the Spanish, the Argentinians & the English. ps, Old Master (much better-sounding than the uncouth old fart), did you have a chuckle at the British Home Office referring to the Falklands as the Islas Malvinas?

Now, leaving those isles aside and getting back to sport, again I ask what do you trio think of double training sessions & sustaining that extreme high-pressing game?
Last edited by Con M on Fri May 30, 2014 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

sin²x + cos²x = 1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sin²x + cos²x = 1 »

I'm more interested in hearing about the Malvinas Islands.
I tend to go off on a tangent

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Con M wrote:
Old Master wrote:
Well, I'm so happy you trio agreed. But I was after your comment on the thread topic (Pochettino at Spurs) and whether you think his double training sessions and the highest pressing game would work.

GMAE digressed with the Belgrano sinking & I asked how was the Falklands/Malvinas thing connected to this sporting issue. I said controversy because for over 500 years those desolate isles have been conquered, abandoned, reconquered & envied by the French, the Spanish, the Argentinians & the English. ps, Old Master (much better-sounding than the uncouth old fart), did you have a chuckle at the British Home Office referring to the Falklands as the Islas Malvinas?

Now, leaving those isles aside and getting back to sport, again I ask what do you trio think of double training sessions & sustaining that extreme high-pressing game?
The Falklands are as much a part of Argentina as Greece is of Turkey.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Can you tell me when Argentina owned the falklands?

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

God is an Englishman wrote:Can you tell me when Argentina owned the falklands?
Ok you got me there, they are less a part of Argentina than Greece is of Turkey.

I apologise for my slightly misleading statement.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Did Lord Elgin buy the Falklands for Great Britain too ?
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Con M wrote:
Old Master wrote:

IO couldn't care less what a stupid politician called the Falklands.

All I know is that my best mate from when I lived in England was killed in that stupid war.

The Argies have no rights to the Falklands as they had never occupied it before the British took ownership of it.

The Brits have more right to own the Falklands than the Argies have to govern the country they stole from the native Indians.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Now, see what you've started here God is/possibly isn't an Englishman? On the one hand completely understandable emotion from those losing friends or relatives in that dispute.

On the other hand in this, a SPORTING forum, an unwillingness to discuss Pochettino's approach to the game and whether it just might succeed.

Pochettino was 10-years-old at the time of the 1982 war. For goodness sake - put the politics aside and discuss sport and answer the question posed!

sephiroth
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by sephiroth »

Con M wrote:Now, see what you've started here God is/possibly isn't an Englishman? On the one hand completely understandable emotion from those losing friends or relatives in that dispute.

On the other hand in this, a SPORTING forum, an unwillingness to discuss Pochettino's approach to the game and whether it just might succeed.

Pochettino was 10-years-old at the time of the 1982 war. For goodness sake - put the politics aside and discuss sport and answer the question posed!
Good question. Up for debate:

Is God an Englishman?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

sephiroth wrote:
Con M wrote:Now, see what you've started here God is/possibly isn't an Englishman? On the one hand completely understandable emotion from those losing friends or relatives in that dispute.

Good question. Up for debate:

Is God an Englishman?

Yes