EPL clubs to get 'B' sides

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

EPL clubs to get 'B' sides

Post by Stuckey »

LONDON (AP) - An English Football Association commission has proposed introducing a new division for Premier League clubs to play "B'' teams in a bid to enhance the development of homegrown players and make the national team more competitive.
http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_307134/conten ... d=E6rfx7o0

Makes sense. The amount of players the big clubs send out on loan is becoming insane.
As we have seen with a club like Barca many of their best players (Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and Puyol to name a few) over the last few years have come thru their 'B' side.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Re: EPL clubs to get 'B' sides

Post by ozzie owl »

The smaller clubs will try and resist any change, however the FA usually roll over and lay down when big clubs ask.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Just re-establish the Combination league or whatever it was called, all EPL teams have reserve teams in a reserve league. No value for them in playing Conference teams. They can put the same restrictions on age and foreign players if they want, though how hard is it for a non Euro player to get a visa to play in Belguim or Lithuania then wait a couple years, how hard is it for most Aussies to get a Euro passport for that matter.

Why only 10 B teams? which ten?. No promotion for the B teams will demean the whole concept of the football league, Wigan were non league not too long ago they earned their place at the top. Probably means the 10th placed team wins the league, no f@#king way. Why should the lower league teams be devalued in such a way and the supporters forced to watch dead rubbers at empty academy grounds against non teams. What happens when teams get relegated, do the academies just disappear ?. Saints, Man City are two examples of teams in div 3 not so long ago, there are and will be more.

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

all teams have a reserves and u/18s team

its the money at the top which causes problems, causing local players to seek football in the championship

the B teams in spain are reserves sides but do play in a proper division, but the depth in spain isn't great
ImageImage

redfred
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by redfred »

DOC wrote:but the depth in spain isn't great
there all here :lol:
"The trouble with referees , they know the rules , but they don't know the game." Bill Shankly

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

DOC wrote:all teams have a reserves and u/18s team

its the money at the top which causes problems, causing local players to seek football in the championship

the B teams in spain are reserves sides but do play in a proper division, but the depth in spain isn't great
No wonder they never win anything!
Depth of talent is there for all to see, depth of money isn't.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Reminiscent of a screaming grassroots manager who cares more about his team winning than anything else, English football has been accused of failing to put players at the core of its objectives.

With the Football Association Commission publishing its report stating that English football is "failing" if it cannot allow young footballers the chance to reach their maximum potential, at least chairman Greg Dyke has tried to re-address that balance.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27340850

People are saying this will ruin the English football pyramid. I say the pyramid is already ruined. How can a nation that has the great league in the work be happy to be knocked out of the last European championship in the quarter finals and will be considered lucky to make it out of their group?
I just hope that the B sides are forced to only have a small amount of players that aren't from UK but I'm sure the big clubs will fight against that.

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Think it's a good idea to keep players together throughout the whole season

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Stuckey wrote:
Reminiscent of a screaming grassroots manager who cares more about his team winning than anything else, English football has been accused of failing to put players at the core of its objectives.

With the Football Association Commission publishing its report stating that English football is "failing" if it cannot allow young footballers the chance to reach their maximum potential, at least chairman Greg Dyke has tried to re-address that balance.

People are saying this will ruin the English football pyramid. I say the pyramid is already ruined. How can a nation that has the great league in the work be happy to be knocked out of the last European championship in the quarter finals and will be considered lucky to make it out of their group?
I just hope that the B sides are forced to only have a small amount of players that aren't from UK but I'm sure the big clubs will fight against that.
EPL , one of the biggest leagues in the world. Div 2, 7th biggest league in Europe. Div 3, 7500 average crowds per game. Div 4, over 4000 average crowds per game. 2000 average per game in Conference. Nothing wrong with the pyramid, real people that love their clubs and go EVERY WEEK to watch them play.

This doesn’t go close to addressing the real problem. Just a bullsh!t scam to allow the big clubs (most not even owned by English people) to get bigger at smaller clubs expense. Using their TV millions to stockpile the young talent, and how many are going to get a game in the A side when they turn 21 anyway? They will keep buying fully developed foreign players to stay at the top just because they can.

Can the changes in any way stop an EPL club from fielding a full squad of 18 year old French players and no English in this B league? No

Will the changes in any way stop (using current FIFA rules) every graduate from the FA Academy from potentially turning away from England and playing for a grandparents’ country, say Ireland, Nigeria, Caribbean etc. countries some had never even been to? No. Apart from maybe France, the English accent would be the most common single accent in international football. Making English developed footballers one of the biggest contributors to the international scene.

Lower league teams compelled to the financial fair play rules have to take on multi-million £ B sides just to develop them. How’s that fair, kids on millions a year playing guys on part time wages. Better they dish out some of their TV cash to develop better English coaches, improve coaching and facilities at these clubs. Spread the wealth, improve the ability of all clubs to develop talent, clubs and country benefits. Power to the people.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

N5 1BH wrote:
Stuckey wrote:

EPL , one of the biggest leagues in the world. Div 2, 7th biggest league in Europe. Div 3, 7500 average crowds per game. Div 4, over 4000 average crowds per game. 2000 average per game in Conference. Nothing wrong with the pyramid, real people that love their clubs and go EVERY WEEK to watch them play.

This doesn’t go close to addressing the real problem. Just a bullsh!t scam to allow the big clubs (most not even owned by English people) to get bigger at smaller clubs expense. Using their TV millions to stockpile the young talent, and how many are going to get a game in the A side when they turn 21 anyway? They will keep buying fully developed foreign players to stay at the top just because they can.

Can the changes in any way stop an EPL club from fielding a full squad of 18 year old French players and no English in this B league? No

Will the changes in any way stop (using current FIFA rules) every graduate from the FA Academy from potentially turning away from England and playing for a grandparents’ country, say Ireland, Nigeria, Caribbean etc. countries some had never even been to? No. Apart from maybe France, the English accent would be the most common single accent in international football. Making English developed footballers one of the biggest contributors to the international scene.

Lower league teams compelled to the financial fair play rules have to take on multi-million £ B sides just to develop them. How’s that fair, kids on millions a year playing guys on part time wages. Better they dish out some of their TV cash to develop better English coaches, improve coaching and facilities at these clubs. Spread the wealth, improve the ability of all clubs to develop talent, clubs and country benefits. Power to the people.

Spot on the big clubs will do only what allows them to increase their power .

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

N5 1BH wrote:
Stuckey wrote:

I would love that to happen but that would mean football would buck the trend of business all around the world of consolidating power. At least this way the kids will be playing some meaningful football instead of playing in the reserves leagues.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Biggest load of bollocks I've ever heard. The sooner the FA just shiraz off and stop ruining the game the better.

Talking about bringing back visa for non EU players, shiraz that. Only 2 non English per team and I might take notice. How is it going to help the English side when you can still name 11 non English players.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

God is an Englishman wrote:Biggest load of bollocks I've ever heard. The sooner the FA just shiraz off and stop ruining the game the better.

Talking about bringing back visa for non EU players, shiraz that. Only 2 non English per team and I might take notice. How is it going to help the English side when you can still name 11 non English players.
I recall you saying yourself, that would be in breach of EU law when I suggested the very same thing.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Stuckey wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Biggest load of bollocks marketing this as an initiative to help the english game when it's not going to do that at alling about bringing back visa for non EU players, shiraz that. Only 2 non English per team and I might take notice. How is it going to help the English side when you can still name 11 non English players.
I recall you saying yourself, that would be in breach of EU law when I suggested the very same thing.
exactly right so what is the point of marketing this as an initiative to help the english game when it's not going to do that at all

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Stuckey wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Biggest load of bollocks marketing this as an initiative to help the english game when it's not going to do that at alling about bringing back visa for non EU players, shiraz that. Only 2 non English per team and I might take notice. How is it going to help the English side when you can still name 11 non English players.
exactly right so what is the point of marketing this as an initiative to help the english game when it's not going to do that at all
Valid point. It is only going to help those big clubs. Its up to them to do the right thing by their communities and focus on developing the players that are in it. It would be wonderful if more clubs took Soton's style of things.