tika taka is dead

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: tika taka is dead

Post by Stuckey »

Con M wrote:Far from dead. Playing styles come and go. I much prefer an attractive passing style rather than hoofball where the ball is screaming for mercy.

One of the most comprehensive displays of tika taka I remember was Barcelona's utter destruction of Manchester United in a Champions League Final. Xavi & Iniesta showed passing perfection, and continually got the ball quickly and accurately into dangerous postions near United's goal. Messi often dropped back into midfield as a false number 9 and he and Iniesta & Xavi totally won the centre.

When Messi dropped deep to help Barca outnumber United's midfield, neither Ferdinand or Vidic had the ability to push up to help - in fact they looked like fish out of water when they tried. And little Messi even popped up from deep to further embarrass those centre-backs by scoring from a header.

Long ball can give the appearance of being effective in lower leagues where poor pitch conditions & even poorer player passing skills mean defences boot it long, by-passing their midfielders who must get sore necks watching the ball continually sail over them. But that long ball most often finds the heads of the opposition central defenders and fists of the opposition goalie and comes straight back.

Good skilful teams know they can get the ball nearly just as quickly into dangerous positions with 3 or 4 fast accurate passes compared to one long floated hope-ball.
Exactly I don't know if you watched the Sanfreece v WSW game the other week but Sanfreece were slicing WSW open repeatedly with 3-4 wonderful passes. It was beautiful to watch.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Stuckey wrote:
Con M wrote:Far from dead. Playing styles come and go. I much prefer an attractive passing style rather than hoofball where the ball is screaming for mercy.

One of the most comprehensive displays of tika taka I remember was Barcelona's utter destruction of Manchester United in a Champions League Final. Xavi & Iniesta showed passing perfection, and continually got the ball quickly and accurately into dangerous postions near United's goal. Messi often dropped back into midfield as a false number 9 and he and Iniesta & Xavi totally won the centre.

When Messi dropped deep to help Barca outnumber United's midfield, neither Ferdinand or Vidic had the ability to push up to help - in fact they looked like fish out of water when they tried. And little Messi even popped up from deep to further embarrass those centre-backs by scoring from a header.

Long ball can give the appearance of being effective in lower leagues where poor pitch conditions & even poorer player passing skills mean defences boot it long, by-passing their midfielders who must get sore necks watching the ball continually sail over them. But that long ball most often finds the heads of the opposition central defenders and fists of the opposition goalie and comes straight back.

Good skilful teams know they can get the ball nearly just as quickly into dangerous positions with 3 or 4 fast accurate passes compared to one long floated hope-ball.
Exactly I don't know if you watched the Sanfreece v WSW game the other week but Sanfreece were slicing WSW open repeatedly with 3-4 wonderful passes. It was beautiful to watch.
Yep, saw that.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Far from dead at Barcelona. They just got rid of the Argentine Manager Gerardo Martino after one year because the fans didn't like his direct style of play.

Barca have appointed one of their own, former player Luis Enrique who has come right through their system.

Footballwise
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Footballwise »

I wouldn't say Tika Taka is dead, but the teams that use it need a plan B. Adelaide Utd started off the year with the possesion based game, then when things weren't going there way they didn't know what to do. Then when the game plan changed slightly they became more successful. Liverpool were also the same in the Chelsea loss that eventually decided the EPL season. Chelsea let Liverpool have the ball and just blocked the avenue to goal via short passes. When Liverpool attempted to cross into the box the 2 players on the end of them were Sterling and Suarez, hardly threatening to Chelsea centre backs. Manchester City have the cattle to play both systems, the reason for them winning the title. If the short sharp game isn't working with Aguero, Nasri, Silva and Co. They just go a little higher to Dzeko who can also play on the deck.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Con M wrote:Far from dead at Barcelona. They just got rid of the Argentine Manager Gerardo Martino after one year because the fans didn't like his direct style of play.

Barca have appointed one of their own, former player Luis Enrique who has come right through their system.
He was such a raging success at Roma as well wasn't he??
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Footballwise wrote:I wouldn't say Tika Taka is dead, but the teams that use it need a plan B. Adelaide Utd started off the year with the possesion based game, then when things weren't going there way they didn't know what to do. Then when the game plan changed slightly they became more successful. Liverpool were also the same in the Chelsea loss that eventually decided the EPL season. Chelsea let Liverpool have the ball and just blocked the avenue to goal via short passes. When Liverpool attempted to cross into the box the 2 players on the end of them were Sterling and Suarez, hardly threatening to Chelsea centre backs. Manchester City have the cattle to play both systems, the reason for them winning the title. If the short sharp game isn't working with Aguero, Nasri, Silva and Co. They just go a little higher to Dzeko who can also play on the deck.
That's true. Although your example of AU at the start of the season is a bit harsh as they were very new to learning their new system. More concerning is that was weren't able to score in our last two games of the season. It will be interesting how this changes with Gombau bringing in a 3-4-3 formation next season.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Stuckey wrote:
Footballwise wrote:I wouldn't say Tika Taka is dead, but the teams that use it need a plan B. Adelaide Utd started off the year with the possesion based game, then when things weren't going there way they didn't know what to do. Then when the game plan changed slightly they became more successful. Liverpool were also the same in the Chelsea loss that eventually decided the EPL season. Chelsea let Liverpool have the ball and just blocked the avenue to goal via short passes. When Liverpool attempted to cross into the box the 2 players on the end of them were Sterling and Suarez, hardly threatening to Chelsea centre backs. Manchester City have the cattle to play both systems, the reason for them winning the title. If the short sharp game isn't working with Aguero, Nasri, Silva and Co. They just go a little higher to Dzeko who can also play on the deck.
That's true. Although your example of AU at the start of the season is a bit harsh as they were very new to learning their new system. More concerning is that was weren't able to score in our last two games of the season. It will be interesting how this changes with Gombau bringing in a 3-4-3 formation next season.
The 3-4-3 system is plan B. 8)

i believe he will alternate between the systems according to who they are playing and also work on a plan C system in the off-season.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Old Master wrote:
Stuckey wrote:
The 3-4-3 system is plan B. 8)

i believe he will alternate between the systems according to who they are playing and also work on a plan C system in the off-season.
From what I've heard 3-4-3 will be their plan A!

Nigel_Reo-Coker
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Nigel_Reo-Coker »

No, tiki taka is not dead... THE BUMP IS DEAD!!!

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

As the Dutch showed, there's no place in football for a long ball :lol:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower