Who will win the World Cup?

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

stave
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Who will win the World Cup?

Post by stave »

Who will win the World Cup? I think Brazil are the big favourites, although they don't have their best squad ever ofcourse. But
they are the home team, and the home teams always do well.

Jørgen Inge Mykland
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Who will win the World Cup?

Post by Jørgen Inge Mykland »

I'm pretty sure the last host nation failed to get out of the group stage.

We Done Ya
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by We Done Ya »

Germany. Easily. Playing Brasil in the final I would think. Belgium to make the semis. Brasil v argies in a semi or quarters. England knocked out in the round of 16.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Yeah I'd love to see Germany win it. It will be great to see a reward for the decision to restructure the Bundesliga making it more development focused and also I love the community ownership model they are using which I think is really starting the bare fruits for the league in the Champions League.

But I've always loved Brazil's style and I'd like to see that rewarded again. Or Messi to win it for the Argies and prove that he is up there with Pele and Maradona. I would say the same thing is possible for Ronaldo but he doesn't have the team around him to go all the way IMO.

But I think it will be Germany.

BIG RED
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BIG RED »

BELGIUM :wink:

A squad needs three things to advance and win the World Cup: Talent, depth and experience.

Belgium has two of those in spades.

They boast some quality young attacking talent, and have class in numbers at many positions, but they haven’t made the World Cup since 2002. They haven’t made the European Championships since 2000. Belgium will be an interesting proposition this summer given their experience, their squad and their draw.

Belgium steamrolled their group on the way to their first World Cup birth in a dozen years. In Group A with Croatia, Serbia, Scotland, Wales and Macedonia, they didn’t lose a single game (eight wins and two draws), winning the group by nine points. The only other teams to go through the group stage undefeated: Heavy hitters, the likes of Italy, Germany, Spain, Netherlands, England and Switzerland (sneakily undefeated). Only Germany and the Netherlands amassed more points in UEFA Qualifying.

Starting up top, Belgium has two spectacularly talented young giants to lead their line: Romelu Lukaku and Christian Benteke. Lukaku (only 20 years old) and Benteke (only 23) have become lethal frontmen in the Premier League over the last two seasons. Both listed at 6’3”, folk in England have had a tough time dealing with them. Benteke has scored 28 goals in 58 games for Aston Villa the past two seasons. And Lukaku is only fractionally behind: with 10 goals in 21 games this year for Everton, following 17 goals in 35 matches last season at West Brom; on loan from Chelsea both times. Either way, Belgium has a potent big man to start up top as well as an equally potent substitute off the bench.

Belgium’s midfield starts and ends with Eden Hazard. The mercurial Chelsea playmaker will be in large part responsible for how far Belgium goes in this tournament. Hazard has 13 goals and seven assists in the Premier League this year, but he has plenty of help in the middle of the park.

With possibly the best name in the tournament, Axel Witsel of Zenit St. Petersburg will anchor the midfield, at times with Steven Defour of FC Porto. Throw in Manchester United Marouane Fellaini, and central midfield is well-stacked. Belgium also has numerous skilled players to complement the spine of their team with the likes of Nacer Chadli and Mousa Dembele from Tottenham. Add also Dries Mertens of Napoli, Kevin Mirallas of Everton and young Kevin De Bruyne of Wolfsburg (formally of Chelsea), manager Marc Wilmots has options, to put it simply.

And Belgium’s depth isn’t left only for the glory positions. Captain Vincent Kompany and vice-captain Daniel Van Buyten hold down the middle of defense. Add Tottenham’s Jan Vertonghen, Arsenal’s Thomas Vermaelen and Atletico Madrid’s Toby Alderweireld; Belgium has top talent throughout the back four.

Their depth continues even to the last line of defense. Belgium boasts Simon Mignolet and Thibaut Courtois, two keepers currently minding the teams sitting second spot in the EPL (Mignolet at Liverpool) as well as La Liga (Courtois at Atletico Madrid).

Even with their aforementioned youth, Belgium should probably get out of their group. Algeria, Russia and South Korea join them in Group H. Algeria could only manage a one draw four years ago in South Africa. Russia, though they finished ahead of Portugal in the group stage, hasn’t been to the World Cup since 2002 along with Belgium, and didn’t get out of the group stage in the Euros two years ago. South Korea hasn’t missed the World Cup since 1982.

An interesting group to say the least.

Belgium will be expected to get out of their group, but how far they go is anyone's guess. They might not have the experience to frighten a top side after the group side, but they have the depth and quality of a team one would like to avoid.

Read more at http://swol.co/world-cup-2014-belgium-p ... ciz0oUv.99

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

I like the look of Belgium but I feel sides never go all the way on their break out tournament.
I wouldn't be surprised with a semi berth though.

Flinders SC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Flinders SC »

Jørgen Inge Mykland wrote:I'm pretty sure the last host nation failed to get out of the group stage.
You're right, similar talent levels and everything...
FSC

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

We Done Ya wrote:Germany. Easily. Playing Brasil in the final I would think. Belgium to make the semis. Brasil v argies in a semi or quarters. England knocked out in the round of 16.
If Brazil and Argentina topped their groups, which you'd think they would, they can only meet in the final.
Brazil v Germany in one semi, Argentina v Spain in the other.

Brazil v Argentina final.
Argentina to win.

that was my call when the draw came out and I;m sticking with it.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Andy1991 wrote:
Jørgen Inge Mykland wrote:I'm pretty sure the last host nation failed to get out of the group stage.
:lol:

Aurelius
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Aurelius »

Brazil is the overwhelming favorite, they're mine and most pundit's tip for the World Cup. They may lack a worldclass striker but they have arguably the best backline in the world right now with Alves, Thiago Silva, Dante and Marcelo across the back. And being at home you fancy them to score plenty, I don't see anyone else beating them on home soil. I can see Oscar being a key player for them since all the attentions will be on Neymar.

Argentina have an embarrassing riches in attack but the defense is relatively weak, however they have the best travelling schedule out of all the favorites, none of their matches will be played up north where it's hot and humid. They are the second favorite going into this tournament. However it will be almost a nightmare scenario for Brazil should their archrival lift the World Cup on Brazilian soil.

Germany is probably the strongest European nation, with a midfield and attack force that's experienced but also in peak condition. There are some questions regarding the first choice back pairing of Mertesacker and Boateng, their first choice left back Schmelzer also have had a difficult season. But at the same time Neuer is probably the best goalkeeper in the world right now and Lahm is as consistent as they come. Elsewhere on the field, Ozil is out of form but they have such a great assortment of attacking midfielders I don't see that as being problematic.

Spain is obviously a contender but I'd probably say they are the forth favorite after the other three candidates. Right now Spain is going through a transition phase with key figures from last tournament such as Xavi, Villa, Casillas, Puyol either past their best or no longer involved. The emergence of the Atletico pair Koke and Diego Costa may help to fill that void, but I see their hope rest on the form of Andres Iniesta. At the same time I feel the lack of someone like Puyol at the back may cost them defensively, Pique have not been in the best form, Albiol still yet to prove himself at the highest level and Ramos is never far away from a red card. I don't see them being solid enough at the back to go all the way.

Outside chances would have to go to Columbia (who has been in great form) and Belgium (who has an incredibly talented squad).

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Can't go past Brazil, I have a funny feeling Belgium will under achieve, yes they have a great squad, but that is only half the battle
Are you Bodo in disguise?

Hired History
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Hired History »

Andy1991 wrote:
OP said they always do well. Obviously they don't.

Aurelius
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Aurelius »

Hired History wrote:
Andy1991 wrote:
OP said they always do well. Obviously they don't.
They ALWAYS do well, South Africa would not have qualified for the World Cup had they not being the host. They were playing in a very tough group with France, Uruguay and Mexico, and they managed to finish 3rd with 4 points and only missed out on the knockout stage on goal difference. Then you look at the fact that France finished bottom of that group with only 1 point, anyone who watches football could see that South Africa punched well above their weight.
Last edited by Aurelius on Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hired History
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Hired History »

Aurelius wrote:They ALWAYS do well, South Africa would not have qualified for the World Cup had they not being the host
Why not? They had done so before. Falling at the first hurdle is not doing well.

Aurelius
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Aurelius »

Hired History wrote:
Aurelius wrote:They ALWAYS do well, South Africa would not have qualified for the World Cup had they not being the host
Why not? They had done so before. Falling at the first hurdle is not doing well.
Back in the 90s, South Africa team have been in decline for years before the 2010 WC, their peak was the mid 90s and since then they never got past the group stage of the African Cup of Nations

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

A side from Europe has never won a World Cup in the Americas.

So for mine the winner will come from either Brazil, Argentina or even Uruguay.

Telson11
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Telson11 »

I have a strong feeling that Argentina will win..
Get discount cheap soccer jerseys online

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

Lucas Neill...first Aussie captain to lift World Cup trophy.

you heard it here first.
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

El Paso del Norte wrote:Lucas Neill...first Aussie captain to lift World Cup trophy.

you heard it here first.
And last.

tushu
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by tushu »

I'm pretty much confident that there is a great chance to win the world cup for Germany or Spain. I know Brazil have loads of star players, but I don't think they can win, though the world cup is going to be hosted by Brazil. So, Brazil might get some confident from their home supporters, but they can't win the world cup. Let's see who wins on 13th July 2014

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Argentina v Brazil final, then toss a coin.
Ignore this signature

gansiriben
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by gansiriben »

brasil

Ga Pala
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ga Pala »

Brazil , Argentina or Italy
" I used to go Missing a lot- Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss Germany." George Best

General Tony Cash
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by General Tony Cash »

Uruguay.

robs2107
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by robs2107 »

El Paso del Norte wrote:Lucas Neill...first Aussie captain to lift World Cup trophy.

you heard it here first.
Has Lucas picked up a job as roadie at the World Cup?
Ernie Merrick: Of course I am happy when my team scores a goal, it's just that sometimes I forget to tell my face. (On why Ernie doesn't smile on the sideline.)

Soccer-Mad
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Soccer-Mad »

GERMANY, BRAZIL and ARGENTINA 3rd.

BruceLee
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BruceLee »

It looks pretty open to me. Spain, Brazil, Germany, Belgium all look good.

I'll be putting a sneaky bet on Italy at $21 too!

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Brasil for me but it really depends on who the Referees want to win in the end. :shock:

If not Brasil then Argentina or Germany.

Unless England can get their act together and play as a team instead of a bunch of individuals - and practice penalty taking. :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Spain

Telson11
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Telson11 »

Soccer-Mad wrote:GERMANY, BRAZIL and ARGENTINA 3rd.
Spain is better than Argentina in my mind
Get discount cheap soccer jerseys online