Europa League

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Europa League

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

Some interesting results, there is still some quality in the comp and the biggest surprise was probably Juve drawing with Fiorentina at home, granted they rested a few players (I'm not sure why when they have the league wrapped up).

Napoli vs Porto was a good game after half time, Reina amazing again, but we had 3 chances in 5 minutes in the second half and failed to capitalise, sets up an awesome return at San Paolo next Friday.

Looks like Tottenham have done their dash, got a smack 3-1 at home to Benfica.

Scores

Porto 1 Napoli 0
Juve 1 Fiorentina 1
Some Bulgarians 0 Valencia 3
AZ 1 Anzhi 0
Basel 0 Salzburg 0
Lyon 4 Viktoria Plzen 1
Sevilla 0 Real Betis 2
Spurs 1 Benfica 3

Kim Kallstrom
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Europa League

Post by Kim Kallstrom »

I think Sherwood needs to focus on the game more than picking fights with the opposition manager..

Derek
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Derek »

Spurs are terrible

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

I think the performance against Benfica proves Tottenham sacking AVB, and appointing Tim Sherwood, was a big mistake. AVB had a win ratio over 55%. Should have given AVB time.

Great freekick from Erikson thou
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

Kim Kallstrom
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Kim Kallstrom »

Hopefully we can attract a better manager in the summer, but the way we have been playing recently may deter big names from joining..

Could argue that we shouldn't have sacked Redknapp, but Levy is very harsh and has high expectations. Good and bad I guess.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Disappointing we couldn't push on and get the second. Gomez' goal was quality and now we need to win in Florence.

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Kim Kallstrom wrote:I think Sherwood needs to focus on the game more than picking fights with the opposition manager..
Dont want to talk about your overpriced stars underperforming again... or its only when Ozil underperforms you pass comment (or take it as an opportunity to have a dig at him) :wink:

El Capitano
Star Player
Star Player

Post by El Capitano »

haywood djablowme wrote:I think the performance against Benfica proves Tottenham sacking AVB, and appointing Tim Sherwood, was a big mistake. AVB had a win ratio over 55%. Should have given AVB time.
AVB is rubbish, he can thank Bale for that win ratio.
Feel Good Inc.

El Capitano
Star Player
Star Player

Post by El Capitano »

Kim Kallstrom wrote:Hopefully we can attract a better manager in the summer, but the way we have been playing recently may deter big names from joining..

Could argue that we shouldn't have sacked Redknapp, but Levy is very harsh and has high expectations. Good and bad I guess.
Big name coaches don't join small time clubs. A poor Man United season has really saved your mob from some major backlash.
Feel Good Inc.

Kim Kallstrom
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Kim Kallstrom »

haywood djablowme wrote:
Kim Kallstrom wrote:I think Sherwood needs to focus on the game more than picking fights with the opposition manager..
Dont want to talk about your overpriced stars underperforming again... or its only when Ozil underperforms you pass comment (or take it as an opportunity to have a dig at him) :wink:
Well I haven't seen the game but from what I've heard Eriksen had a good game, Soldado didn't even start and not sure how Paulinho played. The rest of starters weren't new signings. I guess Eriksen being a bargain buy makes up a bit for some of the others who were overpriced..

Chaos
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Chaos »

Kim Kallstrom wrote:
haywood djablowme wrote:
Well I haven't seen the game but from what I've heard Eriksen had a good game, Soldado didn't even start and not sure how Paulinho played. The rest of starters weren't new signings. I guess Eriksen being a bargain buy makes up a bit for some of the others who were overpriced..
*cough* talkin shite :arrow:
COLOSSUS wrote:Let me guess, ive got no balls

Del Boca Vista
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Del Boca Vista »

haywood djablowme wrote:I think the performance against Benfica proves Tottenham sacking AVB, and appointing Tim Sherwood, was a big mistake. AVB had a win ratio over 55%. Should have given AVB time.

dumb

Chaos
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Chaos »

Bye bye naps :shock:

Bye bye spuds :lol:
COLOSSUS wrote:Let me guess, ive got no balls

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Del Boca Vista wrote:

dumb
Stats dont lie

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Chaos wrote:Bye bye naps :shock:

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

haywood djablowme wrote:
Chaos wrote:Bye bye naps :shock:

Yep, if you watched the game you def would have been shocked. Porto's equalizer was their second shot at the 69th minute mark. The second goal was abysmal defending.

We missed a hat ful of chances and based on that did not deserve to progress. Higuain missed a regulation finish for him usually at about 55 minutes which I daresay would have made it difficult for Porto.

Complete domination, and I mean complete domination until the equaliser. Bitter pill to swallow, need to concentrate on finishing second and the Coppa Italia final.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Pirrrrrloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Pibe, selfishly I hope you finish third (but win the Coppa). That way I'll be able to go to the Super Cup in Rome :D

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Overblown tournament needs to be worked on by UEFA.

1. Reduce group phase or knock out only.

2. Games played away from Champions league, played on Wednesday nights.

3. Don't allow the 3rd placed Champions leagues a seconds chance.

dajine
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by dajine »

After are drawn couples quarter-finals of the Champions League, and there was a drawing of the Europa League quarter-finals

http://www.enko-football.com/2014/03/ju ... ew-az.html

Lyon - Juventus
AZ Alkmaar - Benfica
Basel - Valencia
Porto - Sevilla
http://www.enko-football.com Football is not just a game, it is way of life

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Poor game, but good ol' Bonucci popping up at the end to grab the away goal.

I watched an ITV stream, just laughable stuff really. Apparently Juve are coached by Alberto Conte, while Bonucci is not a player to have the ball at his feet. He loves marking his centre forward, that's what he's most comfortable with. There was so much wrong in sentence :lol:.

Michael Pirone
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Michael Pirone »

Juventino wrote:Poor game, but good ol' Bonucci popping up at the end to grab the away goal.

I watched an ITV stream, just laughable stuff really. Apparently Juve are coached by Alberto Conte, while Bonucci is not a player to have the ball at his feet. He loves marking his centre forward, that's what he's most comfortable with. There was so much wrong in sentence :lol:.
Watched the game, fair result for Juve they dominated after half time, but my oh my Bonucci better not play for Italy at the World Cup. his first 15 passes were long balls to no one in particular. He's difficult to watch and the Juve supporter I watched it with wasnt as nice in his assessment as I was.

He's like Juve's version of Britos but slightly better.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Bonucci's radar was off in this game, but his passing is usually much better than it was. And he is key to how we play if Pirlo is marked out of a game. Should that happen, Bonucci becomes the playmaker from deep - look at his pass statistics for a reflection.

But he's better in a three-man defence than a four, so I don't think he'll be a starter in Brazil.

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

Juventino wrote:Bonucci's radar was off in this game, but his passing is usually much better than it was. And he is key to how we play if Pirlo is marked out of a game. Should that happen, Bonucci becomes the playmaker from deep - look at his pass statistics for a reflection.

But he's better in a three-man defence than a four, so I don't think he'll be a starter in Brazil.
Too many long balls, needed to be shorter.

it wont matter, Juve will cruise into the semi's.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

El Pibe D'Oro wrote:
Juventino wrote:Bonucci's radar was off in this game, but his passing is usually much better than it was. And he is key to how we play if Pirlo is marked out of a game. Should that happen, Bonucci becomes the playmaker from deep - look at his pass statistics for a reflection.

Too many long balls, needed to be shorter.

it wont matter, Juve will cruise into the semi's.
That was surely a Conte directive.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Not the prettiest performance, but we're through to the last four. Pirlo is simply a magician with free kicks - I'm more confident when he has a free kick than a penalty. He's kept up his record of every goal of his being a free kick. Last time he scored from open play was April 2012, about 13 goals ago.

Michael Pirone
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Michael Pirone »

Juventino wrote:Not the prettiest performance, but we're through to the last four. Pirlo is simply a magician with free kicks - I'm more confident when he has a free kick than a penalty. He's kept up his record of every goal of his being a free kick. Last time he scored from open play was April 2012, about 13 goals ago.
Did conte direct Bonucci and his woeful passing again!!!

How's Juve's luck getting Benfica I guess you have to beat all the best teams in this comp.

Bonucci is a man marker and that's it.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Michael Pirone wrote:
Juventino wrote:Not the prettiest performance, but we're through to the last four. Pirlo is simply a magician with free kicks - I'm more confident when he has a free kick than a penalty. He's kept up his record of every goal of his being a free kick. Last time he scored from open play was April 2012, about 13 goals ago.

How's Juve's luck getting Benfica I guess you have to beat all the best teams in this comp.

21 out of 25 long passes made...not bad :wink:

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

Juventino wrote:
Michael Pirone wrote:

21 out of 25 long passes made...not bad :wink:
Bonucci gets better with every season. Great at playing out.

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

Bonucci is a man marker and that's it.[/quote]

21 out of 25 long passes made...not bad :wink:[/quote]
Bonucci gets better with every season. Great at playing out.[/quote]

Mate you are joking aren't you???? As soon as Conte gets a chance to get a better CB he will be the one to miss out, particularly if he goes to 4 at the back next season.

For Italy's sake I hope he is left behind this summer.

We can continue this conversation over coffee.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

I think we'll have to agree to disagree about Bonucci :wink:

Not many better at the sweeper role for a back three, which Juve in the foreseeable future will be sticking with as a base system. When Pirlo is man marked he becomes pivotal in creating, probably the man (depending on the situation). His pass success this season is at 90% in Serie A (according to WhoScored), and overall at 88.7%. That puts him in the top 10 for pass accuracy. Go to long balls, he's at 7.2 per game - ninth best.

Agree that in a back four he is not as good. Getting better, but still a way to go.