AGM on changes in Laws-of-the-Game - Sat. 1 March 2014

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

AGM on changes in Laws-of-the-Game - Sat. 1 March 2014

Post by Con M »

Items on today's (1st March) 2014 AGM agenda of the International F.A. Board for amendment or discussion include:

* rolling subs at any amateur level (but not if an association's most senior competition is amateur);

* banning of political, religious or personal slogans on undershirts;

* sin bins for 10 minutes for players receiving a yellow card;

* discussion on "triple punishment" for denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity in the penalty area.

Any changes have to have 6 of the 8 votes of the 8-man Board (made up of 4 delegates of FIFA and one each from the English, Welsh, Scottish & Northern Irish FAs).

I.F.A.B. has now been registered as an autonomous body under the Swiss civil code. It has it's own website and has undertaken to be more consultative & transparent in explaining it's decisions.

I hope they are because they didn't give valid reasons for abandoning a successful trial in the EPL a few years back (where free-kicks were advanced 10 yards nearer goal for dissent or refusing to retreat).

Not much on this agenda to help improve the image of the game with another World Cup Finals tournament coming up. Fergie described watching the early rounds of the 2010 World Cup as akin to a visit to the dentist. There will probably be a dozen sides at the 2014 World Cup who will try to kill those early games 0-0.

Hopefully the refs will try to make it easier for teams that really want to attack and win.

FIFA can start by telling the selected refs at their March workshop that they will be on the first plane home out of Brazil if they fail to red-card the cloggers for tackles from behind that damage achilles heels, ankles & calf muscles.

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: AGM on changes in Laws-of-the-Game - Sat. 1 March 2014

Post by oldfart »

Con M wrote:Items on today's (1st March) 2014 AGM agenda of the International F.A. Board for amendment or discussion include:

* rolling subs at any amateur level (but not if an association's most senior competition is amateur);

* banning of political, religious or personal slogans on undershirts;

* sin bins for 10 minutes for players receiving a yellow card;

* discussion on "triple punishment" for denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity in the penalty area.

Any changes have to have 6 of the 8 votes of the 8-man Board (made up of 4 delegates of FIFA and one each from the English, Welsh, Scottish & Northern Irish FAs).

I.F.A.B. has now been registered as an autonomous body under the Swiss civil code. It has it's own website and has undertaken to be more consultative & transparent in explaining it's decisions.

I hope they are because they didn't give valid reasons for abandoning a successful trial in the EPL a few years back (where free-kicks were advanced 10 yards nearer goal for dissent or refusing to retreat).

Not much on this agenda to help improve the image of the game with another World Cup Finals tournament coming up. Fergie described watching the early rounds of the 2010 World Cup as akin to a visit to the dentist. There will probably be a dozen sides at the 2014 World Cup who will try to kill those early games 0-0.

Hopefully the refs will try to make it easier for teams that really want to attack and win.

FIFA can start by telling the selected refs at their March workshop that they will be on the first plane home out of Brazil if they fail to red-card the cloggers for tackles from behind that damage achilles heels, ankles & calf muscles.

One out of Four ain't bad. :P
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

I used to be the Old Master but now I'm an Oldfart!

MG&Son
Star Player
Star Player

Post by MG&Son »

sin bins? get lost

If ye cannae dae the bouncy you're a Tim!
If ye cannae dae the bouncy you're a Tim!
If ye cannae dae the bouncy, cannae dae the bouncy,
Cannae dae the bouncy you're a Tim!

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Will they ever address players faking injuries?
I really think they need to look at an amount of time off the ground if medical staff are required on the pitch. As we saw with Cirio on the weekend I think if there wasn't a mad rush to get the guy back on the field because he had to stay off for an agreed amount of time 3 mins the medical staff could take a better look at players.
It would also I feel reduce the likelihood of players slowing the game down at 89 mins when they are 1-0 up.

Brocken Spectre
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Brocken Spectre »

The game has already been ruined. They can do with it what they like for all I care.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Stuckey wrote:Will they ever address players faking injuries?
I really think they need to look at an amount of time off the ground if medical staff are required on the pitch. As we saw with Cirio on the weekend I think if there wasn't a mad rush to get the guy back on the field because he had to stay off for an agreed amount of time 3 mins the medical staff could take a better look at players.
It would also I feel reduce the likelihood of players slowing the game down at 89 mins when they are 1-0 up.
You don't think things through before you post do you? :lol:

So, who decides if it's a fake injury or not? The only person who really knows how much it does or doesn't hurt, is the player. Will he tell you the truth if he's faking?

Irrespective of that, say I kick the bejesus out of you, accidentally of course, and injure you. You have to go off for 3 minutes and who benefits? My team of course. Does that seem fair to you?

Back to the drawing board. :wink:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Nice One Cyril wrote:

So, who decides if it's a fake injury or not? The only person who really knows how much it does or doesn't hurt, is the player. Will he tell you the truth if he's faking?

Irrespective of that, say I kick the bejesus out of you, accidentally of course, and injure you. You have to go off for 3 minutes and who benefits? My team of course. Does that seem fair to you?

If you signal assistance from a trainer, then 3 minutes of off field treatment seems fair game. If you kick the bejesus out of him you should be sent off. If done "accidentally", so be it. Coaches may have to be more mindful of having an unused sub up their sleeve, especially in the latter stages of the game.
Ignore this signature

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Bomber wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

If you signal assistance from a trainer, then 3 minutes of off field treatment seems fair game. If you kick the bejesus out of him you should be sent off. If done "accidentally", so be it. Coaches may have to be more mindful of having an unused sub up their sleeve, especially in the latter stages of the game.

Since you're being intentionally obtuse, maybe I should have drawn a distinction between injuries inflicted by an opposing player and injuries such as hammys and cramp. :wink:

The real answer to the problem is for the referees (and 4th officials) to add the correct amount of time on, then there would be no benefit in timewasting tactics in the first place. If we have 10 minutes of added time, so be it.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by oldfart »

This is what happens when you mess about with the rules in reaction to public comment.

They should continue to make changes to the rules as they have always done - by being slow and careful about trialling them in lower leagues first and then trying them out in underage international tournaments.

The FAB have a duty to ensure that football remains a sport where everyone is playing under the same rules at every level possible.

The introduction of goal line technology will be an exception to the rule at first but, over time, will filter down the levels.

The GayFL has no central authority to cover the sport which is why there are no consistent rules.
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Nice One Cyril wrote:

Since you're being intentionally obtuse, maybe I should have drawn a distinction between injuries inflicted by an opposing player and injuries such as hammys and cramp. :wink:

The real answer to the problem is for the referees (and 4th officials) to add the correct amount of time on, then there would be no benefit in timewasting tactics in the first place. If we have 10 minutes of added time, so be it.
They can do that now. Feigning injury can be more a disruption to "rythym" rather than time wasting, per say.

If you have cramp, too bad, have more salt in your diet. :wink:
Ignore this signature

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Bomber wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

Yeah that's true. But when do you ever see that sort of time added.

I think if people started kicking the bejesus out of one another we'd see a lot more red cards being handed out. Considering you very rarely see a player booting the hell out of someone on the field something like that would be fairly easy for a ref to spot and if it happens off the ball then it just makes the red all the more easy to hand out. It has nothing to do with faking an injury. Injury or not if you require assistance from the medico then off you go. If you are that injured that you need a medico but refuse to have one come out then I doubt you would be that useful to your side anyway so either way you offer no advantage by having no one look at you.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Stuckey wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:
Bomber wrote:If you signal assistance from a trainer, then 3 minutes of off field treatment seems fair game. If you kick the bejesus out of him you should be sent off. If done "accidentally", so be it. Coaches may have to be more mindful of having an unused sub up their sleeve, especially in the latter stages of the game.

I think if people started kicking the bejesus out of one another we'd see a lot more red cards being handed out. Considering you very rarely see a player booting the hell out of someone on the field something like that would be fairly easy for a ref to spot and if it happens off the ball then it just makes the red all the more easy to hand out. It has nothing to do with faking an injury. Injury or not if you require assistance from the medico then off you go. If you are that injured that you need a medico but refuse to have one come out then I doubt you would be that useful to your side anyway so either way you offer no advantage by having no one look at you.
I was only kicking the bejesus out of them because it was you, everyone else I'd just foul :lol:

But the serious point is, you can't have the transgressor gaining a benefit. Maybe you should make them go off the pitch until the injured player comes back on or is subbed.
Danny Blanchflower

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Stuckey wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

I was only kicking the bejesus out of them because it was you, everyone else I'd just foul :lol:

But the serious point is, you can't have the transgressor gaining a benefit. Maybe you should make them go off the pitch until the injured player comes back on or is subbed.
True but if the player intentionally fouling players to the point they require medical attention is allowed to stay on the field the real issue is why the ref has allowed that.
Obviously a player isn't going to require attention then go off for 3 mins if he is kicked in the shins slightly.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Stuckey wrote:True but if the player intentionally fouling players to the point they require medical attention is allowed to stay on the field the real issue is why the ref has allowed that.
Obviously a player isn't going to require attention then go off for 3 mins if he is kicked in the shins slightly.
So what happens with an unintentional foul which requires treatment. According to you the injured player must spend 3 minutes on the sidelines whilst the player committing the foul stays on the pitch?
Danny Blanchflower

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Stuckey wrote:True but if the player intentionally fouling players to the point they require medical attention is allowed to stay on the field the real issue is why the ref has allowed that.
So what happens with an unintentional foul which requires treatment. According to you the injured player must spend 3 minutes on the sidelines whilst the player committing the foul stays on the pitch?
That's what I'm saying if the play is truly injured then they will need time off the pitch anyway. If a player needs a medico to come on and pour some water on an 'injury' then they deserve time off the pitch for faking one.

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by oldfart »

But the serious point is, you can't have the transgressor gaining a benefit. Maybe you should make them go off the pitch until the injured player comes back on or is subbed. (Quote)

That is why so many people are calling for a 'Sin Bin' - sending a player who commits a foul that injures a player to the extent that he needs treatment could be sent to a sin bin for 5 or 10 minutes - much better than just a yellow card.
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

oldfart wrote:But the serious point is, you can't have the transgressor gaining a benefit. Maybe you should make them go off the pitch until the injured player comes back on or is subbed. (Quote)

That is why so many people are calling for a 'Sin Bin' - sending a player who commits a foul that injures a player to the extent that he needs treatment could be sent to a sin bin for 5 or 10 minutes - much better than just a yellow card.
5 minutes for fighting, 3rd man in cops a suspension.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

oldfart wrote:But the serious point is, you can't have the transgressor gaining a benefit. Maybe you should make them go off the pitch until the injured player comes back on or is subbed. (Quote)

I don't understand what you guys are talking about there is already a rule for this anyway. If a player intentionally tries to injure a player they will be sent off.

lerbon123
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by lerbon123 »

Fergie described watching the early rounds of the 2010 World Cup as akin to a visit to the dentist.
runescape gold
buy runescape gold

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Stuckey wrote:

I don't understand what you guys are talking about there is already a rule for this anyway. If a player intentionally tries to injure a player they will be sent off.
Painful as it was, I've read oldfart's post three times and I still can't see the word 'intentional'. Be a good chap and point me in the right direction will you :wink:
Danny Blanchflower

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Stuckey wrote:

Painful as it was, I've read oldfart's post three times and I still can't see the word 'intentional'. Be a good chap and point me in the right direction will you :wink:
If its UNintentional, then so be it, ie, shite happens. It only seems to be highlighted (using the prior examples) if it happens in the dying stages of the game. I reckon it shouldnt matter, ie how often do you see someone "milk" a free with feigned injury in the opening stages of a game. It's only when players realise the impending result (latter stages) that rolling around as though someone shot you is an issue. Maybe refs just need to "read" the game better and officiate (including adding on time) better, but I would have no problem if an injured player that requires medical treatment has a couple minutes spell. If it aint that bad, he'll find a way to strive on if the balance of the game is so important!
Ignore this signature

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Bomber wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:
Stuckey wrote: That is why so many people are calling for a 'Sin Bin' - sending a player who commits a foul that injures a player to the extent that he needs treatment could be sent to a sin bin for 5 or 10 minutes - much better than just a yellow card.
If its UNintentional, then so be it, ie, shite happens. It only seems to be highlighted (using the prior examples) if it happens in the dying stages of the game. I reckon it shouldnt matter, ie how often do you see someone "milk" a free with feigned injury in the opening stages of a game. It's only when players realise the impending result (latter stages) that rolling around as though someone shot you is an issue. Maybe refs just need to "read" the game better and officiate (including adding on time) better, but I would have no problem if an injured player that requires medical treatment has a couple minutes spell. If it aint that bad, he'll find a way to strive on if the balance of the game is so important![/quote]
Exactly. Thanks for that.

NOC, I was referring to your comment on intentional fouling not Oldfart's.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Stuckey wrote:NOC, I was referring to your comment on intentional fouling not Oldfart's.
That's fine, just point out my post that used the word intentional instead then. I'll be waiting.
Danny Blanchflower

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Stuckey wrote:NOC, I was referring to your comment on intentional fouling not Oldfart's.
That's fine, just point out my post that used the word intentional instead then. I'll be waiting.
Just looked back, you said you would kick the bejesus out of me, but then you added that you would do it accidentally so you're off the hook! But then you now have shown intent so now I can prove is was premeditated!

Anyway as I was saying. If someone is intentionally taking someone out of the match they will be punished.
If is was an accident and the player is truly injured then they will have to go off for treatment any way so nothing changes there either.