What exactly is the 'Quenelle" Anelka used?

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

What exactly is the 'Quenelle" Anelka used?

Post by oldfart »

French footballer Nicolas Anelka has denied accusations of anti-Semitism after celebrating a goal by performing a controversial hand gesture known as a "quenelle". What is it?

The gesture involves touching or gripping your shoulder with one hand while holding the palm of your other hand outstretched and pointing to the ground. Some describe it as a combination of the bras d'honneur with a bent arm (which means "up yours") and the Nazi salute.

It is the trademark of the hugely controversial French comedian Dieudonne M'Bala M'Bala, who once said he would like to put a quenelle - a rugby-ball-shaped serving of fish or meat paste - up the backside of Zionists.

Dieudonne made the gesture when he headed his own anti-Zionist campaign in the European elections in 2009. French media trace it further back, to one of his performances in 2005. It came to greater prominence in September when two soldiers were photographed appearing to make the gesture outside a Paris synagogue.

There are thousands of examples posted online, some at sensitive sites such as the Auschwitz death camp, and Dieudonne's fans can be seen repeating it outside his theatre.

West Bromwich Albion striker Anelka said on Twitter it was dedicated to his "comedian friend" - who has been convicted of making anti-Semitic remarks and now faces a ban on public appearances. Both Anelka and Dieudonne say it is an anti-establishment symbol of defiance. But the French sports minister, Valerie Fourneyron, was one of many to disagree with the footballer's interpretation, saying it was sickening and incited racial hatred.
Continue reading the main story
The answer

It's a hand gesture devised by French comedian Dieudonne, who says it's an anti-establishment symbol
But many view it as an anti-Semitic gesture, reminiscent of the Nazi salute
People have been photographed making the sign outside synagogues and at Holocaust sites

Can you accidentally do a Nazi salute?

Jean-Yves Camus, a French academic who studies the extreme right, told the Independent the quenelle has become a "badge of identity, especially among the young, but it is doubtful that all of them understand its true meaning". He says Dieudonne has become the hero of a movement convinced the world is run by Washington and Tel Aviv.

"I think it's likely to be more complex than just being associated with the far right," says Jim Shields of Aston University, an expert on the French far right, because Dieudonne has been involved with anti-racist left-wing activists as well as far-right activists. "At the moment, the use of this gesture seems too diffuse to fit any simple right-left interpretation."

Anelka is not the first French footballer playing in England to make the gesture. Samir Nasri and Mamadou Sakho were also photographed in this way, although Sakho later tweeted that he had been tricked and didn't realise its true meaning.

Reporting by Tom Geoghegan

Follow @BBCNewsMagazine on Twitter and on Facebook

So, there you have it -it is a derogatory symbol invented by a man who is a Right Wing Anti-Semetist - Anelka supports this man, so he was using a Racist Symbol - so he deserves to be banned. :shock:
Up until I did some research on this, I didn't think it was racist, but now I know better.
Always do the Research to find out the truth before you comment publicly!
8)
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

I used to be the Old Master but now I'm an Oldfart!

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Re: What exactly is the 'Quenelle" Anelka used?

Post by Bomber »

Goal celebrations themselves are an interesting point. They can be funny, they can be over the top, but really so much these days involves kissing a badge (yes, they love the club until a better offer comes along), gesturing to the wife/GF/recent baby/their "god", or taking the piss out of home fans (the old hand to ear, "its all gone quiet over here" stuff), pulling up the shirt to read a message on t-shirt worn underneath. Then there's ten people jumping on you (well, just pray you dont get injured because if an opponent touched you just 5% as hard, you'd be rolling around the floor), now "political" salutes.
Looking forward to some original goal celebrations herewith, even if they just are happy with scoring, acknowledge the person/s who set the goal up and actually jog back for the re-start!
Ignore this signature

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

Alan Shearer had the best. Simple raise of the right hand. Legend.

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

Blueblood wrote:Alan Shearer had the best. Simple raise of the right hand. Legend.
[politically correct knob mode on]

Looked awfully like the Nazi salute!

[politically correct knob mode off]

Footballers are generally dumb and removed from boundaries of what's accepted in society.
Ignorance is no excuse but gee you could construe anything as offensive to a particular demographic.

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

Well at least you turn it off lol, unlike some :lol:

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

If Suarez got 9 games for calling Patrice Evra a little black man, Anelka will be lucky to kick a ball again?
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Chaos
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Chaos »

The Kop wrote:
Blueblood wrote:Alan Shearer had the best. Simple raise of the right hand. Legend.

Footballers are generally dumb and removed from boundaries of what's accepted in society.
Ignorance is no excuse but gee you could construe anything as offensive to a particular demographic.
Shearers was the simple "Geordie salute" if I'm not wrong here wasn't it? :?
COLOSSUS wrote:Let me guess, ive got no balls

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

Chaos wrote:
The Kop wrote:

Shearers was the simple "Geordie salute" if I'm not wrong here wasn't it? :?
Yes not that similar to the seich heil I don't think, it just used to crack me up after he scored a cracker, just a little raise of the hand, a bit like owning up to a fart :lol:

bob saget
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by bob saget »

5 games plus £80,000 in the end.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Simunic misses a world cup for making a nationalist speech (which some in turn have interpreted as Nazi)

& Anelka only gets 5 games for an anti-semetic gesture?

Suarez gets 9 for calling Evra a black man in Spanish (which whatever language is used, Evra is for all intents and purposes a black man).

Obviously you are only as racist as the colour of your skin.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Nishioka Sumiko
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Nishioka Sumiko »

Just looked like an arrogant shít to me. Never liked him in those days, but don't mind him as a pundit on MOTD.

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by oldfart »

Black_Panther wrote:Simunic misses a world cup for making a nationalist speech (which some in turn have interpreted as Nazi)

Suarez gets 9 for calling Evra a black man in Spanish (which whatever language is used, Evra is for all intents and purposes a black man).

There's not been any punishment handed out yet - they meet next Tuesday to decide if there is any offence committed, as far as I am aware.
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by oldfart »

oldfart wrote:
Black_Panther wrote:Simunic misses a world cup for making a nationalist speech (which some in turn have interpreted as Nazi)

There's not been any punishment handed out yet - they meet next Tuesday to decide if there is any offence committed, as far as I am aware.

Ooops! I missed the decision being announced. :oops: :oops: :oops:
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

predator
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by predator »

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »