Fanzone at Adel.Oval during the World Cup?

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Píckle Flicker
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Re: Fanzone at Adel.Oval during the World Cup?

Post by Píckle Flicker »

Stuckey wrote:we never have a common voice on anything.
I disagree.
Don't tell me to flick off.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Stuckey wrote:Con, have you been in contact with Splash Adelaide? They organise street closures for food festivals etc. all the time.
No Stuckey, haven't had a chance. Splash Adelaide sound like an interesting mob, but IMO needed a venue with cover from the rain - like a certain Southern grandstand near the Torrens.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Stuckey wrote:
adelaidebloke wrote:tell me vic square purpose again lol
Vic is exactly perfect for this purpose IMO. Is just as per usual with out football community. We are never united so organisations like the council have no idea that many people are interested because we never have a common voice on anything.
Nah guys, IMO the giant traffic island diamond hasn't got any protection from the rain and is not suitable.

Have to agree with Stuckey, apathy reigns supreme in our soccer-football community. At this rate the sizeable Chilean community ex-pats will probably have a larger gathering than the Socceroo supporters.

ps, just thought of something - can you two find out what eastern 'burbs pub GMAE will be watching at supporting Chile so we can all go along and drown him out?

ikon
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ikon »

I'll be watching the Aus/Chile game with over 200 football parents, coaches, kids, senior players and anyone else that wants to come along with friends and kids.

big buffet breakfast , big screen, mobile coffee van and watching it with our very own football community so the kids get to watch it all together.

We may even do more games but this one is for the kids.

Venue almost confirmed- very close to CBD.

More details soon.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

ikon wrote:I'll be watching the Aus/Chile game with over 200 football parents, coaches, kids, senior players and anyone else that wants to come along with friends and kids.

big buffet breakfast , big screen, mobile coffee van and watching it with our very own football community so the kids get to watch it all together.

More details soon.
Excellent news ikon! Congrats on this good community move.

Just a minor side question - do you know if those kids' primary schools/high schools/colleges have cancelled their school soccer that Saturday morning 14th June?

ps, I hope GMAE/Hawkesy has read your post. Tell him even those supporting Chile like him are welcome to your brekky occasion.

ikon
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ikon »

Con M wrote:
ikon wrote:I'll be watching the Aus/Chile game with over 200 football parents, coaches, kids, senior players and anyone else that wants to come along with friends and kids.

More details soon.
Excellent news ikon! Congrats on this good community move.

Just a minor side question - do you know if those kids' primary schools/high schools/colleges have cancelled their school soccer that Saturday morning 14th June?

ps, I hope GMAE/Hawkesy has read your post. Tell him even those supporting Chile like him are welcome to your brekky occasion.

Have no idea if school soccer cancelled- game will finish around 9am i guess.

Our club has a big South American community ...its all part of the fun for the kids.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

ikon wrote: Have no idea if school soccer cancelled- game will finish around 9am i guess.
Will finish approx. 9.25 am. Doesn't leave a lot of time to get in cars, drive to a venue, warm up etc. ...

I just wonder if primary school/high school/college soccer-football organizers have thought of this. Like you said, it would be great to watch their country play, together as a community.

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

Colonel Light Centre
25 Pirie Street, Adelaide SA 5000
Telephone: (08) 8203 7203
Fax: (08) 8203 7575
Email: City@Adelaidecitycouncil.com

WHERE IS OUR FANZONE 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Con M wrote: Just a minor side question - do you know if those kids' primary schools/high schools/colleges have cancelled their school soccer that Saturday morning 14th June?

My team will be playing that morning. I'm sure the kids would rather play than watch.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Con M wrote: Just a minor side question - do you know if those kids' primary schools/high schools/colleges have cancelled their school soccer that Saturday morning 14th June?

My team will be playing that morning. I'm sure the kids would rather play than watch.
Get back to us when you've asked them all.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Stuckey wrote:

Get back to us when you've asked them all.
If there's a game, they don't have a choice. that said, the coach won't be there if games clash with England.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

God is an Englishman wrote: If there's a game, they don't have a choice. that said, the coach won't be there if games clash with England.
Huh?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Stuckey wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote: If there's a game, they don't have a choice. that said, the coach won't be there if games clash with England.
Huh?
What part are you struggling with.

If there's a game then the kids don't have a choice. They will be playing.

If and England game clashes though, then that's why I have an assistant.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Stuckey wrote:
Huh?
What part are you struggling with.

If there's a game then the kids don't have a choice. They will be playing.

If and England game clashes though, then that's why I have an assistant.
The fact that you think the kids don't want to watch Australia play over playing, but you want to watch England over coaching. Seems massively hypocritical.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Stuckey wrote: The fact that you think the kids don't want to watch Australia play over playing, but you want to watch England over coaching. Seems massively hypocritical.
If the team don't turn up then the game if forfeited, if the coach doesn't turn up then the game still goes ahead. Pretty big difference.

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

That's quite sad, I have coached junior football and whilst most coaches are good, you always get a few who have a win at all costs attitude, sure it's good to win, but to leave the fat kid on the bench is beyond pathetic
Are you Bodo in disguise?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Knight15 wrote:

That's quite sad, I have coached junior football and whilst most coaches are good, you always get a few who have a win at all costs attitude, sure it's good to win, but to leave the fat kid on the bench is beyond pathetic

Why's it sad? Most kids just want to play. I know I did, I know I still do.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

GMAE, kids can also learn from watching. What harm if the organizers of that Saturday's school program had checked a calendar and at least have cancelled/moved the 8.30 am, 9 am & 9.30 am games?

ps, does your youngster also play FFSA junior soccer-football on Sunday morning? As far as I know, the England versus Italia game at the Estadio Amazonia is on at 10.30 am Sunday morning 15/6 (Adelaide time). IMO those junior games that clash should also be moved and clubs/coaches gather their young squads to watch that World Cup game on SBS in their clubrooms.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Con M wrote:

GMAE, kids can also learn from watching. What harm if the organizers of that Saturday's school program had checked a calendar and at least have cancelled/moved the 8.30 am, 9 am & 9.30 am games?

ps, does your youngster also play FFSA junior soccer-football on Sunday morning? As far as I know, the England versus Italia game at the Estadio Amazonia is on at 10.30 am Sunday morning 15/6 (Adelaide time). IMO those junior games that clash should also be moved and clubs/coaches gather their young squads to watch that World Cup game on SBS in their clubrooms.
Very good point. I know watching the best players in the world do their thing certainly inspired me to get out there and play when I was a kid. I reckon I practised that Roberto Carlos outside of the boot free kick about a million times after I saw that!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

My son doesn't play ffsa. Any other games you want a season changed around for?

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

God is an Englishman wrote:My son doesn't play ffsa. Any other games you want a season changed around for?
No, certainly not. If you care to look at the World Cup schedule most games are being telecast here at 1.30 am, 4.30 am and 7.30 am.

It's unrealistic to expect youngsters to be up at those two earlier times - eg Netherlands v OZ is at 1.30 am on a weekday Thursday 19/6, Spain v OZ is at 1.30 am Tuesday 24/6.

But I would have thought Aussie kids could have made the effort on that Sat morning 7.30 am 14/6 had their school league organizers and parents/guardians made the effort.

And there'd be plenty of kids with English and Italian heritage that 10.30 am on Sunday morning 15/6 would not have been a problem if their league organizers and parents/guardians had made the effort.

Noodles
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Noodles »

A good opportunity for kids to learn that not everything is going to be scheduled to suit their own personal preferences.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Con M wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:My son doesn't play ffsa. Any other games you want a season changed around for?
No, certainly not. If you care to look at the World Cup schedule most games are being telecast here at 1.30 am, 4.30 am and 7.30 am.

It's unrealistic to expect youngsters to be up at those two earlier times - eg Netherlands v OZ is at 1.30 am on a weekday Thursday 19/6, Spain v OZ is at 1.30 am Tuesday 24/6.

But I would have thought Aussie kids could have made the effort on that Sat morning 7.30 am 14/6 had their school league organizers and parents/guardians made the effort.

And there'd be plenty of kids with English and Italian heritage that 10.30 am on Sunday morning 15/6 would not have been a problem if their league organizers and parents/guardians had made the effort.
what about those with greek, croatian, bosnian.... backgrounds?

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Seems to be a lot of concern about where an Englishman is going to watch a match not involving his country. What is the obsession?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Juventino wrote:Seems to be a lot of concern about where an Englishman is going to watch a match not involving his country. What is the obsession?
It's good to be the King.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Con M wrote:

what about those with greek, croatian, bosnian.... backgrounds?
If you care to look at the World Cup program, games for Greece, Croatia and Bosnia-Herzegovina are at difficult 2.30 am times, or schoolday mornings. Unrealistic for youngsters with those heritages to gather at those times or days.

Whereas viewing the Saturday 14/6/14 7.30 am Australia v Chile game, and the Sunday 15/6/14 10.30 am England v Italia game are achievable for those kids if there was a will by their school & club organizers and their parents/guardians.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Con M wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote: what about those with greek, croatian, bosnian.... backgrounds?
If you care to look at the World Cup program, games for Greece, Croatia and Bosnia-Herzegovina are at difficult 2.30 am times, or schoolday mornings. Unrealistic for youngsters with those heritages to gather at those times or days.

Whereas viewing the Saturday 14/6/14 7.30 am Australia v Chile game, and the Sunday 15/6/14 10.30 am England v Italia game are achievable for those kids if there was a will by their school & club organizers and their parents/guardians.
:lol:

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Mr Con Mightknownothing,

England v Italy is the same time kickoff as Australia v Chile (but the next day).

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Said it before.....

Can't play because Australia are playing
Can't play because Adelaide United are playing
Can't play because it's a long weekend
Can't play because it's mother's day
Can't play because it's more than 30 mins drive away
Can't play because it's raining

No wonder AFL has all the cash.
Time for some righteous indignation

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Bacon888 wrote:Mr Con Mightknownothing,

England v Italy is the same time kickoff as Australia v Chile (but the next day).
Now hang on, Mr slightly sarcastic Bacon. There has been some confusion about what time that kick off is.

When the draw first came out in December 2013, various newspapers & glossy publications got it wrong about the kick-off times on TV in OZ. They didn't allow for changes in daylight savings time in OZ, Eastern Standard Time in OZ, let alone the difference datewise between OZ and Brazil. Further, TV stations in England & Italy agitated for the kick-off time to be changed to suit their viewing audience (google it).

If you care to check today the TattsBet for odds in that England v Italia game (Italia $2.40, England $2.95), the closing time for bets is 10.30 am Sund 15/6/14. If TattsBet is wrong, I'm going to lay a big bet on already knowing the result, even though I'm not a betting man.

Anyway, the main point I'm trying to make is some kids' school games should be postponed for Saturday 14/6/14 when their country is playing. And a compromise reached for some FFSA JPL/JSL teams wanting to postpone their games on Sund 15/6 so they can watch England v Italia in their big World Cup clash.