Fanzone at Adel.Oval during the World Cup?

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Fanzone at Adel.Oval during the World Cup?

Post by Con M »

Would the S.M.A. and the SACA/SANFL allow a fanzone to operate during the world Cup at Adelaide Oval for that 1st match at 7.30am Sat. morn. 14th June 2014?

Back in 2006 for the fateful round-of-16 Australia versus Italy match I pleaded with someone/anyone of influence to organize such a fanzone somewhere central for that game.

To give him his credit, Chris Mcdermott of Five AAFL got things moving against a reluctant SACA CEO within 48 hours and 10,000 people turned up on a cold winter's night at 1am to watch the last-kick-of-the-game defeat.

In 2014 a 7.30am Saturday morning game (Adelaide time) against Chile would surely attract a bigger crowd to watch on a more superior up-to-date giant screen.

The thing is that soccer-football, which was never consulted or included by the S.M.A. even though A.U. had drawn 25,000 there for a game, might not be welcome. Even though Cornesy once sneeringly said "we" (the SACA & SANFL) won't mind sharing the Oval with that lowly sokha mob.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Re: Fanzone at Adel.Oval during the World Cup?

Post by ozzie owl »

We can only hope Con.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Con M wrote: The thing is that soccer-football, which was never consulted or included by the S.M.A. even though A.U. had drawn 25,000 there for a game,
I believe cricket did that 5 times in the last month and would have had more had it not been for a reduced capacity.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Con M wrote: The thing is that soccer-football, which was never consulted or included by the S.M.A. even though A.U. had drawn 25,000 there for a game,
I believe cricket did that 5 times in the last month and would have had more had it not been for a reduced capacity.
That may be so about bailed-out cricket, but I was talking about the black sheep of South Australian sport not being consulted and not included in any planning for the refurbished $729,858,000 Adelaide Crowval.

Couldn't understand the context of your partial quoting of my paragraph up to the comma, GMAE. Please explain.

Miyuki
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Miyuki »

Did again last night too.
As always deadlines to meet.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Con M wrote:
That may be so about bailed-out cricket, but I was talking about the black sheep of South Australian sport not being consulted and not included in any planning for the refurbished $729,858,000 Adelaide Crowval.

Couldn't understand the context of your partial quoting of my paragraph up to the comma, GMAE. Please explain.

You made the point that football has drawn 25k to adelaide oval. Well cricket has now done that 6 times in a month. Why should you be consulted when a) you rent the ground for your games b) what you do once a year, cricket will do 9 times in a year.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Con M wrote:

You made the point that football has drawn 25k to adelaide oval. Well cricket has now done that 6 times in a month. Why should you be consulted when a) you rent the ground for your games b) what you do once a year, cricket will do 9 times in a year.
Well that attitude answers that part of my para you left out "might not be welcome". I would have thought even a black sheep, a bit player like soccer-football deserved some inclusion, some discussion if they were likely to bring the occasional international there, the odd game against a touring Man.U or Liverpool if they played a 2nd game in OZ, an A-League blockbuster, an A-League Semi or Grand Final or an ACL Final.

As for cricket, I was thinking, let's see - there's ONE Test a year, there's the One Day stuff on the Australia Day weekend, a comp called Ryobi something, and there's the Sheffield Shield games which outside of Finals are lucky to draw 100 people.

Yes, for the present I'll concede we'll have to throw in the possibly fleeting fad of the baseball-like bashathon games where I'm confused by team names (aren't the Sixers South Australian, or is that the basketballers? Strikers was a Brisbane soccer-football team in the old NSL, wasn't it?)

In any case maybe some of the bashathon coin could go towards that $85,000,000 bail-out the SACA got instead of all going to no-name players amongst the Strikeouts.

Anyhow, back to the subject topic, GMAE - I take it YOUR SMA will say no to the soccer-football community about having a fanzone there in front of the you-beaut modern HD giant screen for Australia's World Cup game at 7.30 am Saturday the 14th June? Even though in 2006 this central venue got 10,000 there at 1 am on a cold winter's morning with only 48 hours notice?

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

ozzie owl wrote:We can only hope Con.
Nah, not looking good, ozzie owl. Going by 333 views and only a couple of negative replies on this thread.

Also going by the apathy shown on a couple of weekend community radio soccer-football shows. A panellist on one show seemed to dismiss it with comments like "watch it at home", "only if it's a semi final against Italia" and "it's 6 months away" (it's actually 5 months and lead negotiation time would be required with the notoriously anti soccer-football S.M.A./SANFL/Crows/SACA mob).

As far as I heard, the topic wasn't even mentioned in over 3 hours on the other community radio program. And I would have thought it is programs like these shows which would help mobilise the soccer-football community to get this fanzone happening.

As I said, IMO a friendly time like 7.30 am on Saturday morning the 14th June this year would draw more than the 10,000 who went to Adel.Oval at 1 am on that cold winter morning in 2006. An easy-to-get-to refurbished CENTRAL Adel.Oval venue with a modern huge HD screen would be a real attraction where to watch Australia's first game, after the usual massive build-up to the World Cup finals.

Hell, and if by some miracle the fanzone did go ahead and they switched on the big screen at 5.30 am that same morning for the Spain v. Netherlands game (a re-match of the 2010 Final), I know plenty who would go earlier for breakfast & that match too. What a curtain-raiser to the Australia v. Chile match at 7.30 am!

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

all it would take is a fe noises to the right people, ring some shows ask, send some emails...who knows!!

why not at hindmarsh ??

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

adelaidebloke wrote:all it would take is a fe noises to the right people, ring some shows ask, send some emails...who knows!!

why not at hindmarsh ??
Because it's a pain in the muscat to get to/ from.

Don't be silly, con won't actually ring anyone and ask, a lot easier to whinge on here.

Personally, I couldn't give a shiraz where they show the game, I won't bother watching but if adelaide oval can make some money then I'm all for it.

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by oldfart »

adelaidebloke wrote:all it would take is a fe noises to the right people, ring some shows ask, send some emails...who knows!!

why not at hindmarsh ??
Because it's a pain in the muscat to get to/ from.

Don't be silly, con won't actually ring anyone and ask, a lot easier to whinge on here.

Personally, I couldn't give a shiraz where they show the game, I won't bother watching but if adelaide oval can make some money then I'm all for it.

Con, firstly I suggest you get your mate McDermott back onside and start the ball rolling.

Secondly send an email to every Liberal politician asking them to help out when they win the election - and every Labor politician just in case they manage to fool enough morons to vote them back in.

Thirdly, get on the radio and raise the topic on every Football (soccer) program as often as you can.

Finally, write, call and pester every Adelaide City councillor to put the pressure on the government.

That should at least get you a reaction.
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

I used to be the Old Master but now I'm an Oldfart!

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Would be awesome

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

why not at hindmarsh ??
Because the new, shiny, modern, giant HD screen at Adelaide Crowval is better than Hindmarsh's old thing.

And because the Crowval is central, with all transport leading into it. It may even attract the neutrals.

The Bali Nine
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by The Bali Nine »

Con M wrote:the Crowval is central, with all transport leading into it. It may even attract the neutrals.
Not at 1:00am it doesn't.
Three blind mice, lost their sight to animal testing

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

God is an Englishman wrote: Don't be silly, con won't actually ring anyone and ask, a lot easier to whinge on here.

And I thought there was a loose understanding to stick to the issue, avoid the personal jibes.

Well let's see - I've been in touch with Chris McDermott who is all for it and promised in a text to take it up when he returns from leave. He helped arrange the fanzone in 2006, fighting hard against your reluctant then SACA CEO.

I've been in touch with the Advertiser writer who said he will take up the issue.

I've made contact with your cricket mates, Wayne Phillips & David Wildy of Five AAFL, who are all for it.

I've been in touch with community radio station soccer-football shows who I hope will live up to the word COMMUNITY in their title and help mobilise the soccer-football community to help get this across the line.

I've been in touch with J.Kosmina who has a Sunday Mail column and am hoping he takes it up too.

I've found in the past using all forms of media has greater sting on administrators, councillors and politicians who don't return calls and messages.

ps, GMAE you remind me of a work colleague in our social team in the old days by the name of Bevan. Good skilful player. Some of us would ask him to come with us to have a beer at Hindmarsh and watch the game there. His answer was always the same "I don't watch Australian soccer". We acknowledged the standard was lower but tried to convince him the live atmosphere was worth experiencing - to no avail. So many playing participants of the game in this country but never supporters of the game.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Con M wrote: And I thought there was a loose understanding to stick to the issue, avoid the personal jibes.

Well let's see - I've been in touch with Chris McDermott who is all for it and promised in a text to take it up when he returns from leave. He helped arrange the fanzone in 2006, fighting hard against your reluctant then SACA CEO.

I've been in touch with the Advertiser writer who said he will take up the issue.

I've made contact with your cricket mates, Wayne Phillips & David Wildy of Five AAFL, who are all for it.

I've been in touch with community radio station soccer-football shows who I hope will live up to the word COMMUNITY in their title and help mobilise the soccer-football community to help get this across the line.

I've been in touch with J.Kosmina who has a Sunday Mail column and am hoping he takes it up too.

I've found in the past using all forms of media has greater sting on administrators, councillors and politicians who don't return calls and messages.

ps, GMAE you remind me of a work colleague in our social team in the old days by the name of Bevan. Good skilful player. Some of us would ask him to come with us to have a beer at Hindmarsh and watch the game there. His answer was always the same "I don't watch Australian soccer". We acknowledged the standard was lower but tried to convince him the live atmosphere was worth experiencing - to no avail. So many playing participants of the game in this country but never supporters of the game.
I don't see where it's on topic or a personal dig.

Good on you if you pull it off. I hope it's a great success and makes SACA a lot of money.

I have been to hindmarsh a few times and the live atmosphere WASN'T worth it. Why would I want to travel to Adelaide oval to stand around in the cold watching a game that I really don't care about.

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

Good on you if you pull it off. I hope it's a great success and makes SACA a lot of money.

I have been to hindmarsh a few times and the live atmosphere WASN'T worth it. Why would I want to travel to Adelaide oval to stand around in the cold watching a game that I really don't care about.[/quote]

Why would you hope the SACA make a lot of money?? So they can wipe the next debt out that they will probably rack up.

That stadium, whilst will probably be nice and good for the city has huge ??? surrounding the price - over $500 million is a disgrace.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

El Pibe D'Oro wrote:Why would you hope the SACA make a lot of money?? So they can wipe the next debt out that they will probably rack up.

That stadium, whilst will probably be nice and good for the city has huge ??? surrounding the price - over $500 million is a disgrace.
I didn't realise it was over $500 Million

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

El Pibe D'Oro wrote:Why would you hope the SACA make a lot of money?? So they can wipe the next debt out that they will probably rack up.

I didn't realise it was over $500 Million
I'm only quoting the facts in the paper, but if you listen to the opposition its closer to $600 million.

How can Bayern's Allianz Arena cost 340 million Euro (Roughly the same) and hold 20000 more?

On thing Ill agree with you on, we are miles behind Europe in doing sh*t like this.

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

The Estadio Da Luz (Befica's home ground) 65000 capacity, cost 118 million

Juventus' new stadium and surrounding complex cost 120 million Euro, although it only holds 41000 people.

500 million is a joke for Adelaide Oval

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

The Bali Nine wrote:
Con M wrote:the Crowval is central, with all transport leading into it. It may even attract the neutrals.
Not at 1:00am it doesn't.
Our 1st group game on Sat. morning 14/6/14 between our country and Chile is at 7.30 am. Public transport will be operating.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

oldfart wrote: Con, firstly I suggest you get your mate McDermott back onside and start the ball rolling.
Was he offside? Read above. He has sent me two texts and he is for it. He is onto it on returning from leave on Monday 13/1.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

El Pibe D'Oro wrote:The Estadio Da Luz (Befica's home ground) 65000 capacity, cost 118 million

Juventus' new stadium and surrounding complex cost 120 million Euro, although it only holds 41000 people.

500 million is a joke for Adelaide Oval

What's the minimum wage and cost of living in those countries? To use a convict phrase - you're compare apples with oranges.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Con M wrote: And I thought there was a loose understanding to stick to the issue, avoid the personal jibes.

What does this mean? Do you mean you don't see where it's OFF topic? And calling me a whinger who has done nothing to further the chances of that fanzone is not a personal dig?

I hope it's a great success and makes SACA a lot of money.

There'll be no need to switch on the floodlights at 7.30 am on a Sat morn (Adelaide time). I doubt it will make a lot of money if it ends up only being a gold coin donation to enter. Or there's only a few bob to be made out of selling breakfast rolls & coffee. And if there's money made it should go towards the $85,000,000 SACA debt that was waived.

Why would I want to travel to Adelaide oval to stand around in the cold watching a game that I really don't care about.

You wouldn't, nor would you be welcome as you would probably barrack for Chile. Maybe come if England play in a semi or the Final and YOUR SACA extend the fanzone for that

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Con M wrote:

What does this mean? Do you mean you don't see where it's OFF topic? And calling me a whinger who has done nothing to further the chances of that fanzone is not a personal dig?

There'll be no need to switch on the floodlights at 7.30 am on a Sat morn (Adelaide time). I doubt it will make a lot of money if it ends up only being a gold coin donation to enter. Or there's only a few bob to be made out of selling breakfast rolls & coffee. And if there's money made it should go towards the $85,000,000 SACA debt that was waived.

Why would I want to travel to Adelaide oval to stand around in the cold watching a game that I really don't care about.

You wouldn't, nor would you be welcome as you would probably barrack for Chile. Maybe come if England play in a semi or the Final and YOUR SACA extend the fanzone for that
pretty simple really, either whinge on here or do something about it.

if it's not going to make money, what's in it for Adelaide oval?

why would it go towards a debt that's been paid? Especially when it would go to Adelaide oval and not to saca themselves. If you want to line the pockets of sanfl then go for it.

So you're deciding who and who isn't welcome now. Doubt I'd bother going to watch England there either.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Con M wrote:

[/quote]

pretty simple really, either whinge on here or do something about it.
I did do something about it and you're still having a dig.

A community service like in 2006 to the black sheep of sport in Adelaide, the soccer-football fraternity

why would it go towards a debt that's been paid? Especially when it would go to Adelaide oval and not to saca themselves. If you want to line the pockets of sanfl then go for it.
You sure about that? I thought special events proceeds like from the Stones concert goes to the SMA and they distribute it.

So you're deciding who and who isn't welcome now. Doubt I'd bother going to watch England there either.[/quote]
Nah, just quoting you that you wouldn't want to come on a cold morning. You can come, but I'm still scared you will barrack for Chile. And IMO you should try and go if England is playing.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Con M wrote: pretty simple really, either whinge on here or do something about it.

A community service like in 2006 to the black sheep of sport in Adelaide, the soccer-football fraternity

You sure about that? I thought special events proceeds like from the Stones concert goes to the SMA and they distribute it.

So you're deciding who and who isn't welcome now. Doubt I'd bother going to watch England there either.

Nah, just quoting you that you wouldn't want to come on a cold morning. You can come, but I'm still scared you will barrack for Chile. And IMO you should try and go if England is playing.[/quote]

shiraz me, if I was going to have a dig about it you'd know about.

Community service? :lol: it's a business

Who are the SMA and who will they distribute it to? Think about those questions and you will realise that as always I'm right.

I probably will support chile but I can think of many places I'd rather watch the game than at Adelaide oval.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Con M wrote: pretty simple really, either whinge on here or do something about it.

Nah, just quoting you that you wouldn't want to come on a cold morning. You can come, but I'm still scared you will barrack for Chile. And IMO you should try and go if England is playing.

Who are the SMA and who will they distribute it to? Think about those questions and you will realise that as always I'm right.

I probably will support chile but I can think of many places I'd rather watch the game than at Adelaide oval.[/quote]

If it's a business why did it need government handouts?
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Black_Panther wrote:If it's a business why did it need government handouts?
so you want it to need further government hand outs.

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

I probably will support chile but I can think of many places I'd rather watch the game than at Adelaide oval.[/quote]

Of course you will support Chile, although no one will give a flying shiraz who you support. We all know the bleeding heart story forced to be here because of the kids etc etc, it's unfortunate for you (and there's another few Englishmen on here) that you are 'bitter and twisted' about your adopted country. You take every single opportunity to knock Australia yet lay low on your own country and teams consistent failures. Much easier to have a dig

I understand you set yourself up as the forum troll, but really a grown man doing this for years, surely it still doesn't amuse you anymore
Are you Bodo in disguise?