Fanzone at Adel.Oval during the World Cup?

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: Fanzone at Adel.Oval during the World Cup?

Post by God is an Englishman »

Stay low? When have I ever done that?

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Black_Panther wrote:If it's a business why did it need government handouts?
so you want it to need further government hand outs.
It should provide a public utility if it is to be public funded.

If not then the public money used to fund it's construction should be repaid.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Black_Panther wrote:
Black_Panther wrote:If it's a business why did it need government handouts?
so you want it to need further government hand outs.
It should provide a public utility if it is to be public funded.

If not then the public money used to fund it's construction should be repaid.

definitely agree with this, I look forward to going to watch the cricket free of charge. I'll probably pay for my membership anyway though so I can't drink full strength beer in the shade.

The Bali Nine
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by The Bali Nine »

God is an Englishman wrote:I have been to hindmarsh a few times and the live atmosphere WASN'T worth it. Why would I want to travel to Adelaide oval to stand around in the cold watching a game that I really don't care about.
Cold???? In this country?
Three blind mice, lost their sight to animal testing

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

The Bali Nine wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:I have been to hindmarsh a few times and the live atmosphere WASN'T worth it. Why would I want to travel to Adelaide oval to stand around in the cold watching a game that I really don't care about.
Cold???? In this country?
compared to sitting in a pub just round the corner, yep it's cold

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Bumped into the former CEO of Adelaide United on the weekend.

We discussed how the new 180 sq m HD LED screen at Adelaide Oval is two half a half times the size of the AAMI one. It leaves the Hindmarsh & Rundle Mall screens in it's wake and should be the venue for any gathering to watch the World Cup.

He liked the fanzone idea and said he heard the S.M.A. is keen to include soccer-football at the Oval, with games by the National team or visiting clubs like Liverpool, etc

He said the soccer-football community should keep lobbying politicians of both sides of politics and get the State to bid for games. Visitors for those sort of games boost the economy as they did when Man.U & Liverpool went to Sydney & Melbourne.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Con M wrote:Bumped into the former CEO of Adelaide United on the weekend.
Is that the one that lost the grand prix as well. If so, nice bloke.

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Vic Square?

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

I think Victorian & S.A. politicians might have had something to do with the race going to Melbourne.

In any case, what are you alluding to, GMAE?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Con M wrote:
I think Victorian & S.A. politicians might have had something to do with the race going to Melbourne.

I'm alluding to the fact that if it's SC then he's a nice bloke.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Con M wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Is that the one that lost the grand prix as well. If so, nice bloke.

I'm alluding to the fact that if it's SC then he's a nice bloke.
You sure that's all? Why the erroneous quote about him responsible for losing the Grand Prix?

Yeah, he is a nice bloke. Did a good job as CEO of a club that reached an Asian Champions League Cup Final and played in a World Club Cup tournament; also as Manager of Operations for S.A. in the 2000 Olympics and Manager of a couple of popular local FM radio stations too.

And he is for a World Cup fanzone for Australia's first match against Chile that Saturday morning 14/6/14 in front of that giant 180 square-metre HD screen @ Adelaide Oval.

I'm sure he still moves in high establishment circles, so I hope he can influence the powers-that-be for that fanzone for the soccer-football community to proceed.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

yes that's all I was alluding to. Have met him, his wife and his 3 sons on several occasion

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

victoria square too for me

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

It was heartening last week to hear Darren Chandler of the S.M.A. (Stadium Management Authority) say on Five AAFL that a World Cup fanzone at the Adelaide Crowval was still a possibility.

The Socceroos' first match versus Chile is at 7.30 am Adelaide time 14 June, preceded earlier at 5.30 am by a rematch of the 2010 Finalists Spain & the Netherlands.

I hope the soccer-football community keep pressing for this fanzone in front of that 180-square-metre HD screen. 10,000 went to the Oval screening of Italy versus Australia on a cold winter's night at 1 am in 2006. Hopefully that figure could be surpassed.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Con M wrote:It was heartening last week to hear Darren Chandler of the S.M.A. (Stadium Management Authority) say on Five AAFL that a World Cup fanzone at the Adelaide Crowval was still a possibility.

The Socceroos' first match versus Chile is at 7.30 am Adelaide time 14 June, preceded earlier at 5.30 am by a rematch of the 2010 Finalists Spain & the Netherlands.

I hope the soccer-football community keep pressing for this fanzone in front of that 180-square-metre HD screen. 10,000 went to the Oval screening of Italy versus Australia on a cold winter's night at 1 am in 2006. Hopefully that figure could be surpassed.
Were they all Australian or many Italian?

Royal Blues
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Royal Blues »

Many of them had two shirts so they could wear the correct one home.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Correction. Original Adelaide times given for matches in the local press didn't allow for change in daylight saving time.

Even friendlier k.o. times for TV viewers in Adelaide:

Australia v. Chile 8.30 am Saturday 14 June 2014;

World Cup Final rematch Spain v. Netherlands 6.30 am Saturday 14 June 2014.

And still a strong chance this fanzone will go ahead with Darren Chandler of the S.M.A. saying they are considering opening sections of those big new grandstands near the giant screen. Aussie Rules won't have to worry about the Oval turf being trampled on by soccer-football people.

Now for the soccer-football community to get behind this.

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

make it happen ...get behind it.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

adelaidebloke wrote:make it happen ...get behind it.
This is good, adelaidebloke - you warming to a fanzone there.

I thought your preference was for the giant traffic island, a.k.a. Victoria Square (diamond?).

Don't split any fanzone crowd - if it comes to pass, keep it all at the Crowval, a facility for ALL South Australians. Back this and I will buy you a coffee and brekky roll on that Saturday morn in June.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Con M wrote:

I thought your preference was for the giant traffic island, a.k.a. Victoria Square (diamond?).

Don't split any fanzone crowd - if it comes to pass, keep it all at the Crowval, a facility for ALL South Australians. Back this and I will buy you a coffee and brekky roll on that Saturday morn in June.
Where are you talking about having it. Inside the stadium or outside with the two video screens facing the Torrens on the Riverbank stand? I reckon outside the stadium would be best.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Stuckey wrote:
Con M wrote:

Where are you talking about having it. Inside the stadium or outside with the two video screens facing the Torrens on the Riverbank stand? I reckon outside the stadium would be best.
The way Darren Chandler of the Stadium Management Authority was saying on the 30th January, it would be inside. The new Eastern Stand has big capacity, people wouldn't have any sun haze in their eyes at 8.30 am that Saturday morning and that grandstand would be facing at a slight angle South Australia's largest big video screen (a wopping 180 square metres, super HD) on the northern mound. I doubt people would be allowed to stand on the hallowed turf.

As for the precint outside the Crowval Stuckey, I doubt that area would have the capacity if more than 10,000 turned up. It would be too small, similar to the northern diamond of Victoria Square that others have proposed for a fanzone.

I'm guessing, but that 10,000 which turned up on a cold winter's night at 1 am on the 26th June 2006 to see Australia play could be surpassed. 8.30 am on Saturday 14th June 2006 is a far friendlier viewing time. And not a bad curtainraiser at 6.30 am that same morning being a blockbuster rematch of the 2010 World Cup Final between Spain & the Netherlands...

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Con M wrote:
Stuckey wrote:
Con M wrote: This is good, adelaidebloke - you warming to a fanzone there.

The way Darren Chandler of the Stadium Management Authority was saying on the 30th January, it would be inside. The new Eastern Stand has big capacity, people wouldn't have any sun haze in their eyes at 8.30 am that Saturday morning and that grandstand would be facing at a slight angle South Australia's largest big video screen (a wopping 180 square metres, super HD) on the northern mound. I doubt people would be allowed to stand on the hallowed turf.

As for the precint outside the Crowval Stuckey, I doubt that area would have the capacity if more than 10,000 turned up. It would be too small, similar to the northern diamond of Victoria Square that others have proposed for a fanzone.

I'm guessing, but that 10,000 which turned up on a cold winter's night at 1 am on the 26th June 2006 to see Australia play could be surpassed. 8.30 am on Saturday 14th June 2006 is a far friendlier viewing time. And not a bad curtainraiser at 6.30 am that same morning being a blockbuster rematch of the 2010 World Cup Final between Spain & the Netherlands...
Sounds good! I didn't realise we got 10k last WC.
I hope its a goer!

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Stuckey wrote:
Con M wrote:
Stuckey wrote:

Don't split any fanzone crowd - if it comes to pass, keep it all at the Crowval, a facility for ALL South Australians. Back this and I will buy you a coffee and brekky roll on that Saturday morn in June

Sounds good! I didn't realise we got 10k last WC.
I hope its a goer!
Good. Do you know any soccer-football community leaders who could whip up support for this fanzone and get it across the line?

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

get on twitter and send to all the adelaide news outlets etc

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Which big screen will they be using. The one on the hill or the one in the members? Which one is the new super one you're talking about?

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

God is an Englishman wrote:Which big screen will they be using. The one on the hill or the one in the members? Which one is the new super one you're talking about?
The 180 square metre one on the northern mound, two and a half times bigger than the old one at AAMI, AND in HD.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Con M wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Which big screen will they be using. The one on the hill or the one in the members? Which one is the new super one you're talking about?
The 180 square metre one on the northern mound, two and a half times bigger than the old one at AAMI, AND in HD.

So you want to sit in the stand facing west watching a screen facing south. GREAT IDEA! :lol:

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Con M wrote:

So you want to sit in the stand facing west watching a screen facing south. GREAT IDEA! :lol:
Very perceptive, GMAE. But look back on the thread. I said it's at an angle. It's such a huge screen visible from all over the ground and shouldn't be a problem. And by being seated in that Eastern stand people will not be looking east into the rising haze of the sun on that Sat morning 14 June 2014.

The SMA's Chandler publicly said on 30/1 they want the fanzone but nothing is finalised yet on what screens will be focused on.

One thing is for sure though - I can't see the great unwashed soccer-football community being allowed to stand on the hallowed turf facing that South-facing screen.

As it is already the SACA & SANFL/AFL foottee mob are furious that the Rolling Stones will be desecrating their Oval's turf.... The Oval's wage slaves might be cleaning up the surface for ages after that concert. I remember reading in the old days that a stadium which hosted a Madonna concert was cleaning up shot glasses, liquor flasks, used condoms & used needles for ages after that gathering...

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Con M wrote: Very perceptive, GMAE. But look back on the thread. I said it's at an angle. It's such a huge screen visible from all over the ground and shouldn't be a problem. And by being seated in that Eastern stand people will not be looking east into the rising haze of the sun on that Sat morning 14 June 2014.

The SMA's Chandler publicly said on 30/1 they want the fanzone but nothing is finalised yet on what screens will be focused on.

One thing is for sure though - I can't see the great unwashed soccer-football community being allowed to stand on the hallowed turf facing that South-facing screen.

As it is already the SACA & SANFL/AFL foottee mob are furious that the Rolling Stones will be desecrating their Oval's turf.... The Oval's wage slaves might be cleaning up the surface for ages after that concert. I remember reading in the old days that a stadium which hosted a Madonna concert was cleaning up shot glasses, liquor flasks, used condoms & used needles for ages after that gathering...
I assume some of the seats are at an angle as well. An angle designed to look straight ahead and see the middle of the pitch. SO now you will have a seat actually facing away from the screen. Sounds perfect.

Just open up the northern end ground and use the hill. You can use the seating area as well but in a standing capacity.

Or use the east stand with the western screen which seemed pretty big to me as well. Or the South stand using the north screen.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

One thing I loved the look of was in the '06 WC was federation sq packed with people watching the game. I reckon this could be easily replicated outside the Riverbank stand with the two screens there. Wouldn't take much effort to get catering set up for it. I don't really see how sitting backwards on the hill or way off centre would work for everyone.
I think if they did something smart with the area it could be a hub for people to come to all WC long. Have a mini pitch set up or something. Then clear it away when the crowds come for the big matches. Temporary seating could be erected if enough interest is created.